• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scitek

Alright guys, I'm almost ready to make my selection on a new graphics card. I'll be upgrading from a Radeon 5770. Is there anything in the mid-$200 range that would be a worthy upgrade? Radeon 6950 maybe?

Wallach

Frostburn said:
I re-seated the 212+ today and I am no longer able to move it at all by hand but the temps are largely the same as before (Not bad but not great). What temps are you guys getting on the 2500k at stock (On 212+ and/or stock cooler) and then while over clocked? I'm using Real Temp.

That's odd. You can't even rotate it? Assuming it is properly seated, it should rotate if you try to turn it on the CPU (though obviously you shouldn't really have a reason to do this unless it is not oriented straight). It shouldn't be pressing against the CPU so hard it can't even turn.

Fredescu

Dreams-Visions said:
true, but the 6950 will provide 1GB more ram and only costs $10 more (down to $260 now!). should be a big deal going forward.
The $260 one is the 1GB version. You have to go up to $290 to get a 2GB.

CrankyJay

Banned
kpeezy said:
Hi GAF. I want to get a mechanical keyboard. Ideally, I would like one with a detachable cable and I would prefer a layout like this keyboard http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:13825

I'm not sure what's available for purchase in the US that fits what I'm wanting.

Thanks.

Amazon.com seems to return quite a few hits when you search on "Mechanical Keyboard". I'm not sure if what they have fits your criteria though.

Ok, I just ordered an SSD, mainly for the operating system and for maybe a game or two. But since I've already been using this computer for a while, how should I set it up? Should I reformat my C drive or just set the boot drive as the SSD and install the OS that way? I've backed up basically everything on that drive, but I would like to avoid re-downloading all my Steam games.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but if anyone has advice, its more than welcome.

The Big Rig said:
Ok, I just ordered an SSD, mainly for the operating system and for maybe a game or two. But since I've already been using this computer for a while, how should I set it up? Should I reformat my C drive or just set the boot drive as the SSD and install the OS that way? I've backed up basically everything on that drive, but I would like to avoid re-downloading all my Steam games.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but if anyone has advice, its more than welcome.

What I would recommend is that you go ahead and install your new OS on your new SSD. Then then install Steam on the drive which you already have your steam games installed on

Worked for me.

Jin34

MikeE21286 said:
What I would recommend is that you go ahead and install your new OS on your new SSD. Then then install Steam on the drive which you already have your steam games installed on

Worked for me.

Seriously? Because the way I understood it steam had to be in your root drive. Did that drive have a previous windows installation by any chance?

Veal

Okay, hopefully this'll be the last post I make on GPU overclocking. I managed to get the core clock to 1000 mhz stable with no artifacting or crashing on the stock cooler using AMD Overdrive at first and then switching to Afterburner to have more control over the fan. Is it really this simple? I didn't mess with any shader clocks or voltages or whatnot. I have noticed smoother performance in all of the games that I have played (except for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.) Did I actually do anything?

Jin34 said:
Seriously? Because the way I understood it steam had to be in your root drive. Did that drive have a previous windows installation by any chance?

Yeah, when you do this though you want to install Steam in the same directory in which it was previously (ex: normally you will have Steam under c:\program files (x86)\Steam --- so lets say this drive is now D:, you will want to point Steam to install under D:\program files (x86)\Steam)

It will overwrite your previous Steam program and you will be good to go.

Frostburn

Wallach said:
That's odd. You can't even rotate it? Assuming it is properly seated, it should rotate if you try to turn it on the CPU (though obviously you shouldn't really have a reason to do this unless it is not oriented straight). It shouldn't be pressing against the CPU so hard it can't even turn.

When I first installed it I was worried about the temps getting too high and I could move it so I thought it was a bit loose. It didn't take much effort to turn and it never said anywhere that it should be loose enough to turn so I thought I was doing it wrong. My temps are hovering between 32C and a max of 51C while gaming (BF:BC2 and COD:BO, both Quad CPU games)

Think I should re-seat it a third time a bit looser or just loosen the screws a bit?

Also, I asked earlier but what type of temps should the stock cooler be getting vs the 212+? I really feel for such a large cooler that I'm either installing it wrong or the temps are wrong because they seem high for hardly overclocking. I'm just running the XMP profile in the BIOS.

MikeE21286 said:
Yeah, when you do this though you want to install Steam in the same directory in which it was previously (ex: normally you will have Steam under c:\program files (x86)\Steam --- so lets say this drive is now D:, you will want to point Steam to install under D:\program files (x86)\Steam)

Well that works. After I installed the OS on the SSD, COULD i just delete the Windows folder on the old drive? Is there more to getting the OS uninstalled?

knitoe

The Big Rig said:
Well that works. After I installed the OS on the SSD, COULD i just delete the Windows folder on the old drive? Is there more to getting the OS uninstalled?
Yeah, you can just delete the Windows directory on the old drive and other ones you no longer need.

The Big Rig said:

Yeah, you might be told that you don't have permission to delete/change the folders though when you try and delete those old Windows/System folders.

If you do follow this guide to take full control of your folders

Alternatively...
What I ended up doing in the end was....I had 3 HDDs. (1) with a new OS install, (1) with a previous OS install (that I wanted to use as storage) and (1) that was always storage. I moved all the files that I wanted off my Old OS HDD to one of my other 2 HDDs and then reformatted it. Then I moved back all the files that I wanted to store on the Old OS HDD and I had a fresh new HDD :)

Jin34

MikeE21286 said:

This will be great to keep in mind for the future when I get an SSD. What I did when I got the F3 was install it on the F3 and then copy n paste the entire steam folder from the previous drive over.

hey guys, i've been out of the pc update news for a while and i'm looking to upgrade both gpu and cpu (of course the rest will have to be taken into account but i can still take care of that :) ). I looked at the op guide and just wanted to know, the ati 6870 and the nvidia 470 are still "excellent", by the guide definition, cards? anything coming out soon that will bring some kind of big change? cheers everyone.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well time to build a new computer, last week had a power spike or something happened. My APC went bye bye and everything in my pc is dead...So I tested as much as I could but pretty much all gone.

My Thermalright Shaman arrived today. Time to make my GTX 470 SHUT THE FUCK UP when I'm gaming. Oh, I suppose I might try overvolting it and see how much further I can push the OC now that the videocard will run nice and cool now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MikeE21286 said:

can't you just install steam on your SSD, but set the steam folder to the D:drive (whereever your old HDD is now)? It'll just scan that and show you all the games without needing to redownload them all - just do some checking etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
someone on another forum has been looking for a budget gaming PC, and has specced out (and ordered) this:

- Coolermaster CM690-II Lite Dominator Case & GX 750W Power Supply []
- Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIB8V0-G0EAY00Z]
- HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [H577FK1GD]
- G.Skill RipJawX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL) [F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL]
- Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) [HD103SJ]
- LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM []
- AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3)

total - £570.

Now I'm no expert, just hanging around in here attempting to absorb info and get up to speed. But that seems very underpowered for the price. My alternative to him (but a bit late) was this:

bundle:
Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, Socket 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.3GHz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail
+ 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V
+ Asus P8P67-M PRO, Intel P67 Express, 1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2200/2133, SATA6GB/s RAID, MATX
- 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM £40
- 500W Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder Series, 80% Eff', 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX (£47)
-Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, DVD-RAM x12, IDE Black OEM (£13)
- generic midi tower case (£23)
- Asus GeForce GTX 460 TOP 768MB NVIDIA Graphics Card (£113)

total = £560

am I right in thinking his build is way overpriced/underpowered, and he should go for my alternative (or at least its a better starting point)?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mrklaw said:
someone on another forum has been looking for a budget gaming PC, and has specced out (and ordered) this:

- Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIB8V0-G0EAY00Z]
- G.Skill RipJawX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL) [F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL]

total - £570.

Now I'm no expert, just hanging around in here attempting to absorb info and get up to speed. But that seems very underpowered for the price. My alternative to him (but a bit late) was this:

bundle:
Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, Socket 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.3GHz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail
+ 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V
+ Asus P8P67-M PRO, Intel P67 Express, 1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2200/2133, SATA6GB/s RAID, MATX
- 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ, OEM £40
- 500W Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder Series, 80% Eff', 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX (£47)
-Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, DVD-RAM x12, IDE Black OEM (£13)

total = £560

am I right in thinking his build is way overpriced/underpowered, and he should go for my alternative (or at least its a better starting point)?

well just looking at the cpus

an amd pheno m II x2 vs an i5-2500K, the second build is infinitely better for that price.

comrade

I have a ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard and am currently having a problem. Sound is only working out of the left speaker. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Nabs

mrklaw said:

total - £570.

bundle:

total = £560

Your build is so much better than his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom