• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any suggestions for a horizontal or htpc case that accepts atx mbs? I have a tower but want to move the internals so I can put it in my entertainment center.

Also, what would be a good sub-$200 graphics card thats a step up from a 4870 1GB?

whatsinaname said:
Just a question. Do most people here OC their CPUs? I see a lot of aftermarket coolers in the builds being suggested/bought. Are they necessary if you don't OC?

If you won't OC the CPU, you can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU in the retail package. If you buy an OEM CPU, it's bare chip only and you have to buy a cooler for it.

Unknown Soldier said:
If you won't OC the CPU, you can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU in the retail package. If you buy an OEM CPU, it's bare chip only and you have to buy a cooler for it.

I have always used stock cooler/fan for all my builds. Just wondered why people were buying the aftermarket solutions.

The OEM version does not come with the stock cooler? Is that an Intel thing?
(I remember my AMD Athlon 3200+ being an OEM version and coming with a cooler/fan.)

Unknown Soldier said:
Damn. Ok, well 470s are supercheap now compared to before. I'm getting a Corsair TX series 950W PSU to run them, so power won't be an issue. However the Thermalright Shaman gratuitously blocks the SLI connectors and I'm going to have to figure how to work around that before I pull the trigger on a second 470 since I want to put Shamans on both of the cards in SLI. Yes, my motherboard has 2 PCI-e slots which are far enough apart, I use the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and it has 3 PCI-e slots and when I populate the top and bottom ones I can fit a Shaman in between, but I can't find an SLI bridge connector long enough! I'm amazed nobody sells super-long SLI bridge connectors for this sort of thing!

I think I have a spare extra long ASUS SLI bridge.

AkIRA_22

Putting the question out to anyone who has upgraded their 5870 lately. If you still have it and are willing to sell it PM me.

Cheers.

mclaren777

My personal best in 3DMark06 jumped from 2912 to 22773. :)

gsQmF.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gamerecks said:
Anyone have any suggestions for a horizontal or htpc case that accepts atx mbs? I have a tower but want to move the internals so I can put it in my entertainment center.

Also, what would be a good sub-$200 graphics card thats a step up from a 4870 1GB?
Silverstone LC17

comrade

So I switched my H50 exhaust to Push-Pull intake instead of exhaust. My temps dropped about 8 degrees C under full load. Sweet.

vocab

whatsinaname said:
I have always used stock cooler/fan for all my builds. Just wondered why people were buying the aftermarket solutions.

The OEM version does not come with the stock cooler? Is that an Intel thing?
(I remember my AMD Athlon 3200+ being an OEM version and coming with a cooler/fan.)

OEM almost always never comes with a cooler. I haven't even seen much OEM CPU's these days. I guess I never really looked for them.

IrishNinja

so, my SG-07 had been shutting down prior, but i'd put this on heat issues, since the liquid cooling kit it came with was kind've shit, as far as having the radiator directly above the CPU and blocking the vent.

i fixed this (thanks again, -feist-) with an aftermarket cooler, and only experienced a shutdown while running prime95. i still hadn't gotten around to running OCCT as i'd been instructed, as it'd been running fine for a bit now. tonight, while playing Amnesia for a few hours, boom, another shutdown. i can't restart for several minutes, and when i do, i see this screen:

2i7mvm1.jpg

what the fuck, man. i wanna throw this thing out of a window and find a way to shove a sandy bridge into it so i dont have to worry about wanting to OC it later for emulators...but i should probably start with sorting out what's going wrong.
google search says a few things, board or battery related...anyone have any good starting points for narrowing down what the problem might be? should i be looking into updating/flashing my BIOS or calling cyberpower to ask about their warranty program on some of the parts? if the latter, should i be worried/not tell them i switched out said cooler? id hate to just hear them say i voided the warranty or something, i gotta look through the paperwork that came with this thing again but i dont recall seeing that.

this sucks. lemme know what i should do here, GAF. thanks guys.

vocab

IrishNinja said:
this sucks. lemme know what i should do here, GAF. thanks guys.

You are getting blue screens on stock or on OC? If it's on stock, I recommend running memtest86+. Bad ram seems super common these days. If It's on OC, you are not stable.

Also what are your temps?

IrishNinja

only get those after shutdown, but yeah, stock parts except for new cooler (GaminII S), otherwise i5-760, GigaByte GA-H55N-USB3 mobo, 4 gig DDR3 RAM etc. it cant possibly be heat related, i imagine; temps while playing games still arent more than low 60s tops.

*edit: oh i see what you mean. stock CPU, not OC'd yet. temps forthcoming!

R7WkU.png

after recent intel burn test:

UuWSn.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mrklaw said:
potentially final build:
edit: realised I've forgotten a DVD drive, but I'll add that later

QqPrp.jpg

three remaining niggles:

1) win7 upgrade will just install without needing XP first right? I have media centre discs if needed, but if its a pain I'll just switch to OEM for the same price

2) PSU is fine right? Corsair not being great is all relative presumably? current price is close enough for me to pretend its £800. bumping up to a seasonic 520 or corsair 550 would take it to £835 which feels like £850. anywhere else you'd compromise to raise the £20 to improve the PSU?

3) Is it worth getting faster RAM? eg 1600. I plan to overclock to maybe 4-4.3GHz if it'll take it, and would pay a bit more for RAM if it will make a difference. edit: actually corsair basic 1600 is about the same price for a 2x2GB kit. I've seen one article that says 1333 can hold back a SB system, and prices are about on par.

1: IIRC it needs evidence of a previous OS (It'll ask you for the XP CD or CD Key etc), but as you cannot directly upgrade from XP32bit to Windows 7 64bit you do not need to install XP.

2: Yes, frankly.

3: Again, yes. Mainly because the Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz is cheaper than the 1333Mhz set
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-165v

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd very highly suggest you get a Seasonic 520W over a Corsair CX series. The other Corsairs are fine, but the reason I suggest Corsair is because their PSU's are good. The CX series is merely 'ok'.
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Um, I'm trying to build a budget Hackintosh so I thought I'd post in this thread. It's mainly for school, just for editing some 5 to 10 minute short films.

I can't use a G5 as the new Mac software only supports the Intel CPU.

So this setup gives me a Poor Mans Hackintosh for $391.21
If I buy the firewire and a DVD drive I'm still only looking at about $425 for everything plus the cost of Snow Leopard which I got for $19.00. Which all together would put me about $45 over budget but, I never factor in little things like that when I'm building a computer.

I'm sure I could do better but, I need to buy components that I know are going to have the best chance at working with the Mac OS.

suggestions are welcome.
Looks like you thought everything out already.
Mairu said:
Helping a friend build a new desktop!

Here's what I've got so far for him:

May get a SSD but haven't asked him about that since I know the new SSDs are coming shortly
Fine

I'm getting "BOOTMGR is missing" every time I start up my PC. When I boot from my Windows 7 disc, no repair options work and it doesn't even seem to recognize that I have a Windows installation on any hard drive. Anyone have any suspicions as to whether this is a motherboard issue or an issue with my SSD (or something else)?

It might be one of those times that's ends up being an excuse to upgrade, but ideally I could get my computer back up for at least a bit first.

Chris Remo said:
I'm getting "BOOTMGR is missing" every time I start up my PC. When I boot from my Windows 7 disc, no repair options work and it doesn't even seem to recognize that I have a Windows installation on any hard drive. Anyone have any suspicions as to whether this is a motherboard issue or an issue with my SSD (or something else)?

It might be one of those times that's ends up being an excuse to upgrade, but ideally I could get my computer back up for at least a bit first.
Do you have AHCI enable in bios?

Deus Ex Machina said:
Do you have AHCI enable in bios?
I couldn't find that option.

But after a bunch of waiting and restarting, Windows Repair suddenly acknowledged my installation and successfully repaired it. Of course now that I'm up and running I don't exactly feel like my PC is on solid ground. Should I take this as a sign of a dying SSD?

TheExodu5

Banned
Just as an FYI...I don't think I'll bother with SLI again. While the performance is great in games like Crysis and Metro...I'm running into quite a few issues. Most notably, many games will have flashing 2d elements or shadows with SLI. In WoW, shadows kept flickering until the latest driver update. Now in Magicka, the aura markers flicker. In Rift, the text is flickering. Once I set up a nice profile system, where I can controll SLI on/off depending on the game, it shouldn't be a huge issue...but still will be a hassle compared to a single card system. This is kind of compounded by the fact that SLI is not necessary in 95% of the games that I play.

I think if I had to redo my decision, I'd go GTX 580 and spend $80 to get the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme.

Raide

Hi all. Found out that my 8800GT issue was not the card, it was the Motherboard. So I now have to replace it. Currently running a Intel e8400, so I have to find a good MB with 4 RAM slots and PCI-e. Any suggestions? (UK based) Previously had a Gigabyte GA-G31MF-S2. I don't want to spend a huge amount on it, since I just want to get it running before I give it to my parents.

Thanks!

Xdrive05

outsidah said:
OK GAF.... I've decided to make a new PC for myself. I've put together an I7 SB build with one of the new 560 TI's.

I've already got an HDD I can use (2TB Black Drive) and a case, so I had to buy everything else new because even my PSU isn't powerful enough to drive the 560 Ti.

Any recommendations or changes would be greatly appreciated.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13359071

Personally I'd go for the MSI 560:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565&Tpk=msi 560 ti

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New final list.. Getting expensive now and still no mouse/ keyboard or 360 controller. Will try those out at PC world to see which I prefer

CdytK.jpg

acksman

Ok after thinking it over and the wife not really caring if I spend the extra, I want some feedback on the Nvidia 560GTX Ti vs. the 580GTX.

I currently have spec'd a 650watt power supply, is that sufficient for a 580GTX?

Also, is there anything else I should purchase to keep things cool (Going with the Cosair 600 case)?

Last, what is probably the best brand for 580GTX cards?

TheExodu5

Banned
outsidah said:
I have no prob changing to the MSI version - just one question - why that one?

Better cooler. If quiet is important to you, then go MSI.

If lifetime warranty is more important to you, go EVGA.

Also, do you need hyper threading? If this is a gaming rig, I'd bump the 2600K down to a 2500K.

outsidah

TheExodu5 said:
Better cooler. If quiet is important to you, then go MSI.

If lifetime warranty is more important to you, go EVGA.

Also, do you need hyper threading? If this is a gaming rig, I'd bump the 2600K down to a 2500K.

Ah gotcha. Sounds like the MSI is a better fit for me.

I want to get some gaming done with this, but also figure that in the long run I might benefit from the additional cores for work related tasks.

Chris Remo said:
I couldn't find that option.

But after a bunch of waiting and restarting, Windows Repair suddenly acknowledged my installation and successfully repaired it. Of course now that I'm up and running I don't exactly feel like my PC is on solid ground. Should I take this as a sign of a dying SSD?

The only real legitimate reason for that happening which I can think of is if you were installing some other operating systems on a spare drive while having your windows drive being set as the first sata device. I guess running an extra virus scan couldn't hurt either.

QUESTION!

I have Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 and I'm totally an impatient fuck. Could I install Windows with that, then upgrade it with the CD I get tomorrow? D:

Otherwise I'll just wait until tomorrow. :(

TheExodu5 said:
Just as an FYI...I don't think I'll bother with SLI again. While the performance is great in games like Crysis and Metro...I'm running into quite a few issues. Most notably, many games will have flashing 2d elements or shadows with SLI. In WoW, shadows kept flickering until the latest driver update. Now in Magicka, the aura markers flicker. In Rift, the text is flickering. Once I set up a nice profile system, where I can controll SLI on/off depending on the game, it shouldn't be a huge issue...but still will be a hassle compared to a single card system. This is kind of compounded by the fact that SLI is not necessary in 95% of the games that I play.

I think if I had to redo my decision, I'd go GTX 580 and spend $80 to get the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme.

I came to the same decision with CF. Tried a 4870 CF last week when I realised that my lone 4870 wasn't cutting it. I got stuttering in some of my games, others didn't scale. So am getting rid of them and getting a single card.

Stabby McSter said:
QUESTION!

I have Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 and I'm totally an impatient fuck. Could I install Windows with that, then upgrade it with the CD I get tomorrow? D:

Otherwise I'll just wait until tomorrow. :(

Download the iso of the Windows you are getting tomorrow.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

(Those are from official retailers. Legal)

Install Windows, but do not put in a CD key. You can run windows for 30 days without activation. Whenever you get your key, put that in.

outsidah

Ok I ordered my new components.... can't wait for them to get here :)

I was checking to see if any of the 2011 SSD's have been released yet (Crucial M4 where are you??) but the only that is out is the Corsair P3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233154

It was $300 apparently earlier and now it's up to $320!

I guess that's the price to pay if you have to have a new one NOW. I can't find anyone who has purchased one yet and done any benchmarks either.

Waiting sucks.

CrankyJay

Banned
outsidah said:
Ok I ordered my new components.... can't wait for them to get here :)

I was checking to see if any of the 2011 SSD's have been released yet (Crucial M4 where are you??) but the only that is out is the Corsair P3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233154

It was $300 apparently earlier and now it's up to $320!

I guess that's the price to pay if you have to have a new one NOW. I can't find anyone who has purchased one yet and done any benchmarks either.

Waiting sucks.

Ugh, that's like $2.50 a GB...almost a dollar more than what is being speculated for the c400.

outsidah

CrankyJay said:
Ugh, that's like $2.50 a GB...almost a dollar more than what is being speculated for the c400.

Yep.

The 256GB version started at $599.... went up to $649, $700 and finally $710.... and it's current sold out!!

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just installed a c300 128gb SSD in my new Samsung laptop...wow. I can't even imagine going back to another method of storage. The space limitations can easily be circumvented with a large USB flash drive.

G-Pink

I'm putting together parts for my first real PC build, and since I don't know all that much about PC building, I thought I would come by and ask for some advice on the parts I've chosen so far.

computater.jpg

I'm going to be using this PC for video editing, and some gaming. I wanted to make sure I had enough room for the video files I'll be working with, as well as a good video card. Just wanted to know,

Are all these parts compatible? I've heard that as long as you line up the motherboard and processor numbers, the rest is like putting together an Airfix model, without the glue. But is the wattage of the power supply something I should be concerned with? How about cooling? I'm not planning on OCing anything, so will I be fine with the stock heatsink that comes with the processor?

The OEM copy of Windows is another thing I'm worried about. How does an OEM copy differ from a Full copy of Windows? Will I be fine with this if I need to clean my PC out and reinstall the OS from scratch, or exchange parts?

Is this PC good enough for what I want to use it for? Halp.

Hazaro said:
Looks like you thought everything out already.

Well, I hope so. Hearing that from you makes me feel more at ease.

I've just never done anything like this before so I'm a little frightened going in a virgin. Which is another reason why I made sure the stuff I purchased was relatively inexpensive. I'd hate to purchase a $150 motherboard only to find out Snow Leopard won't install on it. I suppose the only real worry is the motherboard at this point. I'm positive everything else works based on all the confirmations I've read on the net. I'm sure the motherboard "should" work as well except this board has had 3 or 4 revisions in it's lifespan so there could potentially be an issue. I had considered the GA-G31M-ES2L mobo but, based on what I had read there is a lot more involved when it comes to installing Snow Leopard on it and, it only allows for 4GB of ram total so there is no room for upgrades. Plus the price was about the same anyway.

At any rate. I've got my fingers crossed and will post back next week or so when I find out if it works or not.

Oh, and I may need to get a cooling fan I'm really not sure. I never understood if the chip comes with one or not. No big deal really, just means I'll have to wait an extra day or two before I start putting it together.

outsidah

G-Pink said:
Are all these parts compatible? I've heard that as long as you line up the motherboard and processor numbers, the rest is like putting together an Airfix model, without the glue. But is the wattage of the power supply something I should be concerned with? How about cooling? I'm not planning on OCing anything, so will I be fine with the stock heatsink that comes with the processor?

The OEM copy of Windows is another thing I'm worried about. How does an OEM copy differ from a Full copy of Windows? Will I be fine with this if I need to clean my PC out and reinstall the OS from scratch, or exchange parts?

I don't see any issues with your build except for the SSD. I was looking at that SSD since NewEgg has it on sale for $175 after a rebate, but it seems some folks are having issues with it no matter which firmware.

As far as an OEM copy, you can change parts as much as you like, the issue is that if you change out the motherboard, the OS will not re-activate (it will install but give you an error when activating). The key ties itself to that motherboard you first install.. There is a work around though which is when you are installing with a new MB, you are asked to call an MS 1-800 number and you simply tell them you old MB fried and you needed to change it. I have done this before with XP and Vista and they have never given me a problem.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mrklaw said:
New final list.. Getting expensive now and still no mouse/ keyboard or 360 controller. Will try those out at PC world to see which I prefer

CdytK.jpg
A modular Seasonic 520 or 620w might save you some money.
Are you sure the 560 and nonctua will fit in that case?
Looks good.
G-Pink said:
I'm putting together parts for my first real PC build, and since I don't know all that much about PC building, I thought I would come by and ask for some advice on the parts I've chosen so far.

computater.jpg

Absolutely. Looks good.

CrankyJay

Banned
G-Pink said:

computater.jpg

I'm going to be using this PC for video editing, and some gaming. I wanted to make sure I had enough room for the video files I'll be working with, as well as a good video card. Just wanted to know,

GPink, you should consider getting the same case from Tiger Direct. You will save yourself $40 as it has a lower base price and free shipping as where New Egg will charge you $20. $45 if you check out using Google Checkout.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6610150&CatId=1842

edit: I don't work for Tiger Direct.

edit edit: Realized you might just live in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom