• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
I guess this will afford me to space out my purchases...but this sucks. I really wanted a new computer within the next 2 weeks. I am disappoint.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Solo said:
We need some info as to the extent of damage this can cause on motherboards. Like, should I not be using my comp at all?
I'm waiting for an answer.

Certain facts of this are under an NDA.

Edit: meant FACETS, not facts

Emitan

K.Jack said:
I'm waiting for an answer.

Certain facts of this are under an NDA.
WHAT? "We know that all of our mobos have serious problems and could cause permanent damage to your components, but we're not going to tell you." What the hell?

K.Jack

Billychu said:
WHAT? "We know that all of our mobos have serious problems and could cause permanent damage to your components, but we're not going to tell you." What the hell?
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Intel is hiding anything.

There's a massive amount of organization going on behind the scenes, as this effects notebooks and desktops.

It's just an NDA on releasing information to mobo partners first.

n0n44m

degradation over time (in terms of performance?) is annoying and I'll swap the motherboard for that, but I'm not going to worry about that right away

the only thing I want to hear from Intel ASAP is if this can cause data corruption in the short term yes or no?

edit: from yahoo finance: Intel said consumers can "continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution."

guess that sorta answers that?

Emitan

K.Jack said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Intel is hiding anything.

There's a massive amount of organization going on behind the scenes, as this effects notebooks and desktops.
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

K.Jack

RE: MOBO DAMAGE

"All the issue is, at some point the port will cease to function (As a SATA device) the USB part will keep working, sata ports 2-5 will eventually cease to function at an unknown point, but they WILL. Hence the recall as its not a matter of if, its when. They won't damage anything, just not work anymore."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you know which ports you have hooked up? I was planning just a single HDD and a DVD drive, would they go first on 0 and 1 or isn't it that straightforward? Like 0 and 1 are 6GB or something?

Emitan

mrklaw said:
How do you know which ports you have hooked up? I was planning just a single HDD and a DVD drive, would they go first on 0 and 1 or isn't it that straightforward? Like 0 and 1 are 6GB or something?
Check the manual for your mobo. But on mine 0 and 1 are the 6GB/s ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Billychu said:
I haven't bought it yet! So i'm willing to switch to one that has working 0 and 1 ports. Or buy a 6GB HDD and hold off on the DVD rom

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the updates, K.Jack.

Got my HDDs and optical drive on ports 0, 1, and one of the extra Marvell ports... so I guess I should be good until the replacement mobos roll out.

The Bookerman said:
It's definetly making me question my desire for a SB-based PC.

Do I wait, or do I buy a phenom X6.

hmmmm.
No.

Either buy an LGA 1155 (or LGA 2011 later) build once Intel resolves this matter, or hold off for AMD AM3+ in a few months.

The problem I have is how long will it take to get a new MOBO when you send it back to Gigabyte,asus etc?

If it takes a month to get your replacement mobo, I won't buy a p67 chipset next week that's for sure.

Emitan

K.Jack said:
One would hope, that desktop users will get their mobos cross-shipped.
They better be doing this. I just ordered a 560 to finally complete my build (been using a 5770 for a few months until I had the money to upgrade it), and I don't want to wait a month before I can use it.

Dynamic3

Billychu said:
Are 6gbps ports backwards compatible with 3gbps devices?

If so I could use 0 and 1 for my 2 hdds, and one of the bad ones for my disc drive right?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dynamic3 said:

If so I could use 0 and 1 for my 2 hdds, and one of the bad ones for my disc drive right?
Yes. Thankfully backwards compatibility is a priority in SATA design.

Emitan

Dynamic3 said:

Yes. I'm going to be switching my HDD and disc drive to SATA 6 when I get home from work.

K.Jack

Naked Snake said:
This is a huge blow for me, I was determined to buy an SB laptop tomorrow :(
Yes, the hit to anyone in need of a laptop/notebook is astronomical. I was just about to derop ~$2k on a new gaming notebook.

March/April is so sick.

My current notebook might not last that long, and buying a Clarksfield equipped machine is not an option.

Yeah the sata III ports can use sata II and I but with no speed boost. 36month period is quite long. Thats about the entire time i had a my lga 775/Q6600 set up.

Quake1028

So what do I need to do when I setup my new PC tonight. I'm only going to have the HDD and a DVD-RW connected to the Mobo. Will I be fine?

Emitan

Gloomfire said:
So what do I need to do when I setup my new PC tonight. I'm only going to have the HDD and a DVD-RW connected to the Mobo. Will I be fine?
Yeah, just connect them to the SATA6 ports.

Jin34

TheExodu5 said:
I hope we get more information on what degraded performance might mean.

On my Gigabyte board, the Sata 6gb/s ports are non Intel I believe, so at least those two should be fine, I assume.

I think you have 2 native SATA 6gb/s and 2 extra from a Marvell controller.

Well crap, I just bought a 2500K from microcenter this weekend. Was planning on ordering the ASrock p67 extreme4. Don't really want to be stuck with a CPU I can't even try out for 3 months.

But let me ask this. If this error only affects ports 2-5, on a board like the ASrock (or the ASUS, I think) does that mean you still have 4 good SATA ports available? (i.e, 2 from the intel controller, and 2 from the Marvell controller?). If this is the case I may just buy the ASrock board and use it for a few months until I get a replacement...

iNvid02

sad-face.jpg

TheKurgan

Meh - doesn't seem like a big deal for me personally. I only have one SATA HD, and one SATA DVD which I hardly ever use. I eventually plan on getting a SSD, but that problem should be sorted out by then.

I could always switch over to the Marvell controller on my ASUS PRO as well if preformance becomes an issue..

knitoe

Don't want to use crap Marvell ports. Instead, I moved my important drives, SSD (OS) and Backup, to the Intel 6GB port and kept my Programs / DVD drives on the 3GB ports. If problems arise, then, I'll switch, but supposedly given it's only 5-15% failure rate even after 3 years, it shouldn't be an issue before MB replacement comes.

Mairu

Man, gonna hold off on building the PC for my roommate until all those Intel recall shit gets straightened out. Sucks that it seemingly effects mobile too, I was hoping to get a new laptop sometime this month :(

mclaren777

--Software Recommendations--

I did a bunch of research on free anti-virus software and ultimately chose to use avast! because it has solid AV protection without negatively impacting system performance. It even has a "Gamer" option for those who want maximum frame rates.

Download avast!

All CPU Meter is a Gadget for Windows 7 that monitors many of your key system metrics. It just sits quietly on your desktop and it's a good way to see how your hardware is performing. It can also be brought to the forefront with the Windows+G keyboard shortcut.

Download All CPU Meter

c6T6c.png

Mr. Hyde

is the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB fast enough for music backups (I like to rip my music in FLAC), RAW photography and,maybe, movie backups? It's 5400RPM so I am just making sure. If not, I'll just get a 7200 1TB.

Nice PSU find.

ChoklitReign said:
coopolon said:
Antec TruePower 550W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply for 39.99 after rebate. I've been very pleased with Antec PSUs in the past.
That is one expensive PSU. Why the hell not get this power supply after the sale?
Because even without the higher efficiency rating, the one that he linked to is a much better model.

For anyone looking to buy a low cost PSU, and only needs ~550W or less, that specific TruePower New unit is a really good deal and a much better buy than any similarly-priced OCZ or Corsair CX/GS/builder series/etc.

Emitan

Mr. Hyde said:
is the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB fast enough for music backups (I like to rip my music in FLAC), RAW photography and,maybe, movie backups? It's 5400RPM so I am just making sure. If not, I'll just get a 7200 1TB.
I may be overcautious, but I'd be nervous about buying a 2TB drive. 5400 RPM is fine for backups, but I'd be worried about the failure rate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I'm looking for alternative processors now that NewEgg pulled the 2500K out of my cart and I can't buy it.

It looks like the AMD Phenom II is the closest thing in price. DOes it suck?

TheKurgan said:
Meh - doesn't seem like a big deal for me personally. I only have one SATA HD, and one SATA DVD which I hardly ever use. I eventually plan on getting a SSD, but that problem should be sorted out by then.

I could always switch over to the Marvell controller on my ASUS PRO as well if preformance becomes an issue..
My case makes it kind of a problem to switch to the Marvell controller. :(

iNvid02

ok so ports 0-1 will have the ssd boot and the 2tb drive
will use a external usb drive for backup
switch to firewire 800 instead of esata on the big external drive

and leave the dvd drive to its fate

Kraut

K.Jack said:
RE: MOBO DAMAGE

"All the issue is, at some point the port will cease to function (As a SATA device) the USB part will keep working, sata ports 2-5 will eventually cease to function at an unknown point, but they WILL. Hence the recall as its not a matter of if, its when. They won't damage anything, just not work anymore."

So if 0 and 1 are fine, and there are 8 SATA ports on the Asus pro board, that means I should be fine using 0, 1, 6, and 7 for SSD, disk drive, and HD?

·feist· said:
Because even without the higher efficiency rating, the one that he linked to is a much better model.

For anyone looking to buy a low cost PSU, and only needs ~550W or less, that specific TruePower New unit is a really good deal and a much better buy than any similarly-priced OCZ or Corsair CX/GS/builder series/etc.
Just find me the best PSU that's under $70. I'm not buying today so it can't be that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom