• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

Quick question relating to the Intel recall...

Would there be any reason to re-install Windows if you're swapping out a motherboard for an identical model?

Korranator

mclaren777 said:

Would there be any reason to re-install Windows if you're swapping out a motherboard for an identical model?

Nobody really knows at this point. It's a hardware issue, so the new hardware could change things.

itxaka

Defeatist

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Korranator said:
Nobody really knows at this point. It's a hardware issue, so the new hardware could change things.
Should be fine. It's the same chipset, swapping an Intel SATA controller for a different Intel SATA controller should be ok.

Might be wrong, but I'd think it would go without problem.

Raistlin

itxaka said:
woah. The card is 2Gb, is that enough for that huge resolution? I though 1920x1080p maxed out the ram on almost every 1gb card out there.
For most games, I would think it would be pushing it? Crossfire with it has got to be epic though. I don't know ... I was surprised to read that F1 comment. Apparently the card by itself is more powerful than I gave it credit for? Come to think of it, how many 2GB cards are there out there? I guess I haven't seen enough tested with 3x1080p to get a feel for whether it is enough RAM or not. When considering 3 monitors, I've always stuck to reading up on crossfire/SLI setups. That does remind me though ... I can't believe I will end up with 4GB of just video RAM. It's ludicrous :eek:

mclaren777 said:

I don't believe so. Someone else can probably better answer the question, but I think you may need to call MS and re-register the OS since the base HW changed? I believe it's tied to your HW profile?

pulse8

Mr. Hyde said:
I am helping a friend who is trying to determine if a Intel Q6600 @ 3.0ghz would be a major bottleneck for a Geforce GTX 560. He has a Geforce 8800GTS G92 at the moment and wanted to upgrade it due to games like the Witcher 2 and Brink coming out. I am sure he can play it already but wants better performance in the few pc games he is looking forward to.

I have a Q6600 @ 3.1ghz and recently upgraded my Geforce 8800GT video card to a Gigabyte 6850 OC Edition and from my experience, yes, the CPU does now become the bottleneck; how much so greatly depends of the games being played imo, whether the games are CPU or VC dependent. Before the upgrade, I had a very well balanced system, and while I have seen noticeable improvements in the games I play (SC2 & DiRT2) and I'm very happy with the upgrade, the truth is the CPU doesn't do the video card full justice. It might be best for your friend to make do for a while and save up for a new system altogether, something like a i5-2500K or i7-2600K with a Geforce GTX 560 or ATI 6950. Or maybe try and find a cheap ATI 5770 to tide you over.

Red

I'm trying to dual boot OS X and Windows 7 on one of my PCs, and I'm trying to get a 235GB partition shared between them. In Windows, I seem only to be able to format it as NTFS. I can do exFAT in OS X, but then W7 doesn't see it. Why is that? I thought W7 had native support for exFAT. I'd rather not have to do FAT32.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
For most games, I would think it would be pushing it? Crossfire with it has got to be epic though. I don't know ... I was surprised to read that F1 comment. Apparently the card by itself is more powerful than I gave it credit for? Come to think of it, how many 2GB cards are there out there? I guess I haven't seen enough tested with 3x1080p to get a feel for whether it is enough RAM or not. When considering 3 monitors, I've always stuck to reading up on crossfire/SLI setups. That does remind me though ... I can't believe I will end up with 4GB of just video RAM. It's ludicrous :eek:

I read some benchmarks of the 1GB 6950, which said it outperformed the 2GB by a tiny bit, except in metro 2033 at 1920x1200 with AA, at which point it didn't have enough memory and slowed down. F1 2010 by comparison is a much simpler game, so a 2GB card should have no worries driving 3x1080 screens. Bear in mind that they're used to driving 2560x1500 screens, so its only like two of those. Maybe you need to turn down/off AA when driving three screens though.

(and with crossfire you still only have 2GB effective RAM. 4GB physical but its doubling up everything so the game only sees 2GB)

Solo

mclaren777 said:
I think there's a good chance that I'm going to ignore this recall.

I 100% most definitely am. Especially since NCIX built my rig and I don't want to go through the struggle of having to send it back to them. My HDD and DVD player are both into SATA6, so Im not looking back.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I need to get a new video card for my rig (E8400 hopefully soon to be OC'd to 4 GHz, 4 GB DDR2, Cooler Master 520w PSU, two 1080p monitors), and I'm currently considering switching to nVidia from my (dying) 4850HD.

Would a barebones Gainward GTX460 2 GB be a good choice? It costs 20 euros more than the 1 GB version, but I'm not sure the difference is worth it.
Also, if I stay with ATI, what's the best I can get for the same price range?
Low consumption/heat would be a definite plus, as my PSU isn't that powerful and OC'ing my CPU would mean some more heat in there, but I'd still like to get enough juice for some decent gaming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jocchan said:
I need to get a new video card for my rig (E8400 hopefully soon to be OC'd to 4 GHz, 4 GB DDR2, Cooler Master 520w PSU, two 1080p monitors), and I'm currently considering switching to nVidia from my (dying) 4850HD.

Would a barebones Gainward GTX460 2 GB be a good choice? It costs 20 euros more than the 1 GB version, but I'm not sure the difference is worth it.
Also, if I stay with ATI, what's the best I can get for the same price range?
Low consumption/heat would be a definite plus, as my PSU isn't that powerful and OC'ing my CPU would mean some more heat in there, but I'd still like to get enough juice for some decent gaming.
For the money get a 460(or 6850 since you are not in NA), or if you can go a little more a 560 or a 6950 1GB.
2GB is pointless on that card.

ZZMitch

GAF, does this sound like a PSU issue to you?

I have been getting random crashes for a while now (I looked into the dump files and most of them were caused by dxkrnl.sys... something like that I am not at home atm). I was thinking it was a RAM issue, but yesterday after a random crash my computer was having trouble starting... it would freeze a few seconds into the desktop, during the boot animation and even once during the MB screen after restarts. Sometimes it wouldnt start at all, I would turn the computer on, the fans would start and then the graphics card fans would start but the PSU would never get going. After a while I got it to start and then it ran fine for now.

I am going to run a memtest later today... but does that sound like a dying PSU to you guys? A few times when I started it up the PSU would start, kind of slow down then get going again a second later. Kind of scary. I ran MSI Kombuster and Prime95 for six hours last week at the same with no problems as well. My temps have also been good, I have never seen them go above 61C (for the graphics card) under heavy load.

If you need my specs I can post them when I get home.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
In order:
memtest86+
HDD smart and diagnostics
PSU rail voltage (12,5,3.3) +/- 5%
Driver sweep display drivers, reinstall.

If everything checks out do a system restore

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What's the best bundle price for a 2500k and motherboard online? My time is almost here, I know I've been asking and prying for about a month but I should be ordering it this week.

ZZMitch

Hazaro said:
In order:
memtest86+
HDD smart and diagnostics
PSU rail voltage (12,5,3.3) +/- 5%
Driver sweep display drivers, reinstall.

If everything checks out do a system restore
Thanks!

I already did a driver sweeper reinstall of drivers with the nvidia update a few weeks back but I give that another try.

I am not exactly sure what HDD Smart or changing the PSU rail voltage entails but I will look into it!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hazaro said:
For the money get a 460(or 6850 since you are not in NA), or if you can go a little more a 560 or a 6950 1GB.
Thanks. I can't really spend much more, so I guess I'll go with either a 460 w/ 1 GB or a 6850.
What about 5xxx cards in the same price range? I guess I should check some benchmarks, I haven't been following video cards for a while.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
I read some benchmarks of the 1GB 6950, which said it outperformed the 2GB by a tiny bit, except in metro 2033 at 1920x1200 with AA, at which point it didn't have enough memory and slowed down. F1 2010 by comparison is a much simpler game, so a 2GB card should have no worries driving 3x1080 screens. Bear in mind that they're used to driving 2560x1500 screens, so its only like two of those. Maybe you need to turn down/off AA when driving three screens though.

(and with crossfire you still only have 2GB effective RAM. 4GB physical but its doubling up everything so the game only sees 2GB)
Yes you are correct, sorry. RAM is mirrored - it is the added processing that is required to run the multiple screens.

rabhw

Raistlin said:
Interesting. Neither have arrived so I can chose what to return.

Out of curiosity what else is on your system? CPU? How many HDD's, disc drives, fans, cooling, etc? Just want to make sure I have plenty of headroom for anything I can possibly throw at it.

Considering the 750w I ordered is a TX model though, I wouldn't be surprised if your unit actually generates more power. I think I'd need to move to an HX or AX anyway (the latter is the 850w unit I order - basically the HX series replacement iirc).

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I have a 2500k @ 4.4ghz 1.3v.
2x 6950 unlocked shaders only (no 6970 clocks)
5 hard drives (4 HDD 1 SSD)
1 DVD ROM
3 Case fans
1 H50 Watercooling pump
2x4gb @ 1.5v ram.

I get the feeling I'm probably fairly close to reaching the limit of the HX650. I'd probably go for the HX750 if I wanted a little more breathing room. But I also feel that the AX850 is probably still overkill for me.

xero273

LiquidMetal14 said:
What's the best bundle price for a 2500k and motherboard online? My time is almost here, I know I've been asking and prying for about a month but I should be ordering it this week.

You have to wait. Most online retailers have pulled P67 boards from their site.

LiquidMetal14

Solo said:
Did you sleep through the past 30 hours by chance?
I'm sorry but I'm really out of the loop. Recall or something? I was looking at Newegg and a few others sites and no sight of the CPU's or motherboards. Microcenter has the 2500k but no MB.

xero273

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm sorry but I'm really out of the loop. Recall or something? I was looking at Newegg and a few others sites and no sight of the CPU's or motherboards. Microcenter has the 2500k but no MB.

Intel had a problem with the chipset. Basically sata 3 gb ports on the motherboard will stop working at an unknown time. So they recalled all motherboards. From what I read, new boards should be out March/early April

LiquidMetal14

Solo said:
I read back a few pages and seen your quote. I was ready to pick this up too. I need to build something this week or else my budget will change. I maybe have to go with a phenom x6, it looks like. I assume Sandy bridge is top notch but I can exactly find one so what would be my best solution here? I want to make sure I can run any game without many issues. The 2500k price was too good to pass up. Decisions.

grkazan12

Hey Gaf, So I don't think this is a huge problem just an annoyance. Well it doesn't happen all the time but every once in a while when I try to boot into my computer a screen pops up saying "Windows was unable to start" and then it forces me to try a system restore sometimes.

The restore sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't work, but after it tries to restore, my computer restarts and everything is boots up properly.

I was just wondering how I could prevent this from popping up???

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LiquidMetal14 said:
I read back a few pages and seen your quote. I was ready to pick this up too. I need to build something this week or else my budget will change. I maybe have to go with a phenom x6, it looks like. I assume Sandy bridge is top notch but I can exactly find one so what would be my best solution here? I want to make sure I can run any game without many issues. The 2500k price was too good to pass up. Decisions.

wait. I wouldn't buy a phenom at the moment.

Why will your budget change? if you don't spend it, it'll be used elsewhere? You could buy everything but the motherboard. If you're not too worried about it failing (it will be covered completely by the warranty) then see if you can find somewhere still stocking it before they're completely pulled.

I ordered one yesterday and got the despatch email, and their website has just posted a notice saying they are stopping sales of them now.

irfan said:
Can I run a three monitor setup with a 460 and a 7600GT? Probably not ..

I used to run a triple monitor setup with a GTX275 and an 8800GTS. You have to use SoftTH though, I doubt nVidia Surround works on the 7600 (could be wrong, haven't really read up on it). SoftTH is pretty slow and takes a LOT of tweaking, but it works. I used to run rFactor at 5760x1200 at around 50fps with an E6600 and the 275/8800.

I use Eyefinity with an i2600K/6970 now and get around 400fps at the same res :O

LiquidMetal14

mrklaw said:
wait. I wouldn't buy a phenom at the moment.

Why will your budget change? if you don't spend it, it'll be used elsewhere? You could buy everything but the motherboard. If you're not too worried about it failing (it will be covered completely by the warranty) then see if you can find somewhere still stocking it before they're completely pulled.

I ordered one yesterday and got the despatch email, and their website has just posted a notice saying they are stopping sales of them now.
Sounds like a plan or like I put in the other thread about the recall, if I could find a p67 board I will still likely bite on it. I'm not that concered if 3 ports go out. As long as it's just that then I don't feel bad about it. Quick question, how much will a low end z68 board go for? Any estimates? Or as that strictly a high end enthusiast piece? I want great gaming but don't need every FPS for bragging rights. That's why something like a Phenom x6 looks so attractive. I would rather have a SB for sure tho.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ordered everything now except the CPU and GPU. i5 2500ks are short on the ground in the UK, so if anyone can point out somewhere at a reasonable price?

and for GPU, I keep bouncing between the 6950 and GTX 560. The MSI FrozrII OC sounds good - pre overclocked 560. And reviews say its less noisy and less hot than the 6950.

Thoughts?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
mclaren777 said:

so long as you're getting an identical board the only thing that'll change is one chip, i believe. even then, the P67 boards are using similar enough equipment that you won't have to reinstall your OS at all. i was able to switch from a LGA775 install to a 1156 without much hassle.

InertiaXr

I jumped the gun a little bit when SB came out and built my computer with the best performance/dollar GPU at the time, GTX 460. Now however I'm already looking at the 560 and am thinking of getting that. Is there any reason for me to upgrade if I'm still at 1680x1050? I'd have to take a loss on selling the 460 and there isn't any games that don't run like I want them to, but I figure if I can get rid of the 460 quickly while prices are still around what I paid ($200) before they drop due to new GPUs coming out I can upgrade to a 560 for pretty cheap.

vocab

Hazaro said:

The 6950 2gb is $269 (was $259) after rebate. Much better bang for buck than the 560.

Wazzim

Banned
InertiaXr said:
I jumped the gun a little bit when SB came out and built my computer with the best performance/dollar GPU at the time, GTX 460. Now however I'm already looking at the 560 and am thinking of getting that. Is there any reason for me to upgrade if I'm still at 1680x1050? I'd have to take a loss on selling the 460 and there isn't any games that don't run like I want them to, but I figure if I can get rid of the 460 quickly while prices are still around what I paid ($200) before they drop due to new GPUs coming out I can upgrade to a 560 for pretty cheap.
If you are going to overcklock your 460, no but if it´s gonna stay standard anyways then the 560 is a better choice for the future.

JoeBoy101

Jesus with that chipset fail. Still, I only have two SATA devices, and I think my P67 Pro has two 6 GB ports and two 3 GB Marvel ports I can use. Depending, I may not return just to avoid the hassle and not tempt fate. I got the sucker working and would hate to swap mobo and have to rebuy Windows or get a bad board.

InertiaXr

Wazzim said:
If you are going to overcklock your 460, no but if it´s gonna stay standard anyways then the 560 is a better choice for the future.

Yea I already OCed my card I'm at 850/1050/1700 up from stock 726/900/1450 and I've still never seen it over 55c at 60% fan speed with full load so I think I may just stick with it, seems like a great card so far.

Salaadin

The stock fan on my Sapphire 5850 is making some light jiggle noises. Could this just be dust? Its been a while since I blew air up there?
Or is the fan going? Are the replaceable?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
InertiaXr said:

buy another 460 and run SLI?

mclaren777

Source

The problem in the chipset was traced back to a transistor in the 3Gbps PLL clocking tree. The aforementioned transistor has a very thin gate oxide, which allows you to turn it on with a very low voltage. Unfortunately in this case Intel biased the transistor with too high of a voltage, resulting in higher than expected leakage current. Depending on the physical characteristics of the transistor the leakage current here can increase over time which can ultimately result in this failure on the 3Gbps ports. The fact that the 3Gbps and 6Gbps circuits have their own independent clocking trees is what ensures that this problem is limited to only ports 2 - 5 off the controller.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
InertiaXr said:
Yea I already OCed my card I'm at 850/1050/1700 up from stock 726/900/1450 and I've still never seen it over 55c at 60% fan speed with full load so I think I may just stick with it, seems like a great card so far.

1gb version? Stock cooler?

I tried OC'ing my SLI 460s once but even as low as an 800mhz clock unigine got red artifacts and froze up on me.

Quake1028

OK, the new computer is all ready to go except the OS. I bought it from Digital River. I have an OS disc on the way but they also have two download options: .exe and .iso. Which is the best/easiest way to get it on the new PC?

InertiaXr

Corky said:
1gb version? Stock cooler?

I tried OC'ing my SLI 460s once but even as low as an 800mhz clock unigine got red artifacts and froze up on me.

Yea 1GB and stock cooler, I think. I have the MSI version and it comes with its own cooler not the normal 460 'reference' cooler if I understand it right. That's odd you can't get to 800 clock without artifacts as mine runs at 850 perfectly fine and I've had it up to 900 before just didn't like card under load over 50c and didn't really need the extra performance in any games anyways. Maybe the MSI cooler is that much better?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
InertiaXr said:
Yea 1GB and stock cooler, I think. I have the MSI version and it comes with its own cooler not the normal 460 'reference' cooler if I understand it right. That's odd you can't get to 800 clock without artifacts as mine runs at 850 perfectly fine and I've had it up to 900 before just didn't like card under load over 50c and didn't really need the extra performance in any games anyways. Maybe the MSI cooler is that much better?

Oh I see.

Well I reckon that may very well be the case, that the cooler on the MSI one is better than on the gigabyte one, however I suspect I might've done something crazy when overclocking, maybe I used somekind of wrong setting or whatever.

Speaking of which, while on an SLI setup and using MSI afterburner to OC, do you have to seperately OC each of the cards or will they both retain the given settings?

InertiaXr

Maybe this is obvious but I've always wondered why GPUs are always made so the fan/cooler is blowing air down? Hot air rises I'm pretty sure so it seems like you would at least want cards blowing air straight up? Into the typical back and top exhaust fans as well as whatever CPU cooler/fan you got going on.

mclaren777

Gloomfire said:
OK, the new computer is all ready to go except the OS. I bought it from Digital River. I have an OS disc on the way but they also have two download options: .exe and .iso. Which is the best/easiest way to get it on the new PC?
I would burn the .iso onto a blank DVD and install it that way.

Quake1028

mclaren777 said:
I would burn the .iso onto a blank DVD and install it that way.

Pardon my ignorance but how would I go about doing that? Meaning do I need a special program or something?

Also, check your PM's :D.

knitoe

On my Asus Deluxe, tried moving 2 drives to Marvell Sata controller, but they won't show up in Windows 7. They do appear during bootup Marvell Utility. Also, tried installing the Marvell drivers from Asus website, but they don't seem to do anything. Move the drives back to Intel controller and they show up right away. Any idea what step am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom