• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What did BP101 get banned for?
I prefer Nvidia personally but that is honestly a good price for the 2gb. I upgraded to the 448 core ti. With the case being cheaper it comes out to about the same. When it comes to drivers and games working correctly I just trust Nvidia a bit more. I havent heard great things when it comes to drivers on AMD. But man that 2gb is temping. Ive never had an AMD card though. hmmm..

I dont suppose the 580's are dropping in price anytime soon eh? lol.
Note that most 6950's won't unlock today and you have to flash or unlock your BIOS by porting it, editing it, and hoping it works. At least mine didn't. I know some of the more expensive Sapphire's ones still can.
So I'm pretty close to ordering the budget build. I need two things;

A) A recommendation on a monitor. Shopping on Newegg.
B) Can someone tell me if Newegg assembles? And if they do, where do I utilize that option?
Newegg.com sort by size you want, sort by number of reviews/best and pick one out
Newegg does not assemble

So here's the build I've put together. Basically just copy and pasted from the budget build and added a monitor. Anyone care to look it over and tell me if there's anything that I'm missing, or don't need in here? I'll literally be building this from scratch so if there's anything else I'll need please tell me. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to PCs.

Conceptor

Not a PC question, but I figured this was the best place to ask. Anyone here care to share their opinions on the LG Smart TV ST600 (Upgrader Box)? Or would you prefer/recommend someone went with an alternative?

So, I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Is the main difference between GPU's essentially the amount of memory and the core clock, or do each series of chip sets have their own unique features that aren't really listed on these comparison sites?

Also, what's the cheapest one I can get that can run GTA IV, Skyrim, etc. decently? And how do I tell what PCU wattage it would require?

Similarly, is there any big difference in PCUs other than wattage?

Leckan

Is it a bad idea to buy a new computer the same year next-gen consoles are releasing? Say PS4 and Nextbox releases in 2013, would a computer from the same period be underpowered, in that ports would run worse than the console versions or at least not 60 fps like now for most games? Would it be better to wait a year or two after their releases?

Obviously no one knows but I'm pretty sure new consoles usually have the upper hand in terms of performance usually for the first two years or so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So here's the build I've put together. Basically just copy and pasted from the budget build and added a monitor. Anyone care to look it over and tell me if there's anything that I'm missing, or don't need in here? I'll literally be building this from scratch so if there's anything else I'll need please tell me. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to PCs.
I'd add a SATA DVD Drive (The ASUS listed). You also need to purchase an operating system of your choice such as Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
It also does not include a Keyboard/Mouse.
Wattage is only 250 currently, but I was hoping someone could link me to a new supply for a decent price.
So, I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Is the main difference between GPU's essentially the amount of memory and the core clock, or do each series of chip sets have their own unique features that aren't really listed on these comparison sites?

Also, what's the cheapest one I can get that can run GTA IV, Skyrim, etc. decently? And how do I tell what PCU wattage it would require?

Similarly, is there any big difference in PCUs other than wattage?
Corsair 430W for 460/550/560/6850/6870. 550W for higher or better quality, reliability, power draw.
PSU requirements are rough and I've listed reasons in the PSU section in the chart and the second post.
GPU features are mostly fluff now with the exception of PhysX for gaming. Differences are very minimal.
AMD and nVidia use two different approaches to their GPUs so the 1500 AMD cores line up to about say 450 nVidia cores. Each does different amount of 'work' per clock so Mhz isn't comparable either. Additionally they use different GDDR and different bit buses on their cards so you can't compare memory directly.
So what you do is use or look at benchmarks done by websites. Anandtech Bench is one well updated resource for comparisons.

Decently depends on resolution, but a 460/550Ti/6850/6870 will run those at 30fps high no issues.
Is it a bad idea to buy a new computer the same year next-gen consoles are releasing? Say PS4 and Nextbox releases in 2013, would a computer from the same period be underpowered, in that ports would run worse than the console versions or at least not 60 fps like now for most games? Would it be better to wait a year or two after their releases?

Obviously no one knows but I'm pretty sure new consoles usually have the upper hand in terms of performance usually for the first two years or so.
Depends on the price bracket you are looking at.
And 2013 computers are another whole process jump + architecture away for both CPU and GPU. You can get a barebones PC now for $450 that can do 60fps 1080p mid-high and that isn't going to get worse. That's over 4x the power now if new consoles release in that price range for hardware.
I'm looking to buy a new kb+mouse soon. Are there any dedicated threads for this? If not, what are your reccomendations?
Price, need, etc.

Anyone familiar with the Asus ML228H 21.5"? Good stuff @ $145 after mail in rebate, or is there better at this size? I'd appreciate it if any suggestions don't go bigger because I'm working with an extremely limited a desk type for the near future. Around 20" across is the biggest monitor that can fit right now.

EDIT: Hell, maybe the VE228H which is $134 after mail in rebate.

Ughhh, I swear choosing the parts will be more difficult than actually putting everything together.

Corsair 430W for 460/550/560/6850/6870. 550W for higher or better quality, reliability, power draw.
PSU requirements are rough and I've listed reasons in the PSU section in the chart and the second post.
GPU features are mostly fluff now with the exception of PhysX for gaming. Differences are very minimal.
AMD and nVidia use two different approaches to their GPUs so the 1500 AMD cores line up to about say 450 nVidia cores. Each does different amount of 'work' per clock so Mhz isn't comparable either. Additionally they use different GDDR and different bit buses on their cards so you can't compare memory directly.
So what you do is use or look at benchmarks done by websites. Anandtech Bench is one well updated resource for comparisons.

Decently depends on resolution, but a 460/550Ti/6850/6870 will run those at 30fps high no issues.

Alright, so I'm looking at picking up the Corsair PSU for $39.99.
For the GPU I've got an HIS Radeon HD 6850 for $149.99.

Would this be a decent buy?

Ramirez

Complete noob on this stuff, but which of these graphic card setups would be better?

-1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

or

-Dual 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone familiar with the Asus ML228H 21.5"? Good stuff @ $145 after mail in rebate, or is there better at this size? I'd appreciate it if any suggestions don't go bigger because I'm working with an extremely limited a desk type for the near future. Around 20" across is the biggest monitor that can fit right now.
Doesn't seem like anything is wrong to me.
I've heard some LED backlights don't have as dark blacks as LCD monitors fwiw.
Alright, so I'm looking at picking up the Corsair PSU for $39.99.
For the GPU I've got an HIS Radeon HD 6850 for $149.99.

Would this be a decent buy?
Yup
Complete noob on this stuff, but which of these graphic card setups would be better?

-1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

or

-Dual 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870
You can check using the Anandtech bench utility in the OP.
Then decide (reading the intro to dual cards section) if you think it is worth it now. 79xx series should be out in 2 weeks for a new top card.

Ramirez

Doesn't seem like anything is wrong to me.
I've heard some LED backlights don't have as dark blacks as LCD monitors fwiw.

Yup

You can check using the Anandtech bench utility in the OP.
Then decide (reading the intro to dual cards section) if you think it is worth it now. 79xx series should be out in 2 weeks for a new top card.

Thanks.

Jtrizzy

So continuing on with my quest for DTS or DD 5.1 for my new pc games, I'm stuck a bit.

I have a Sound Blaster XFI Titanium PCIE card. It has DD Live and DTS Connect. My understanding was that I would be able to output my games in these formats with this card via SPDIF, since the mobo doesn't.

After using the drivers BP101 linked to me on the last page, I am finally able to get the PC to output DTS, using both game mode and entertainment mode, and it is working on my receiver, this is only when I test it with youtube etc. Receiver is doing as I expected it to do...

When I start a game though, I get no sound. Receiver stays in DTS mode as it was in windows, but no sound.

Also, whenever I look at the properties of the device , it only shows 2 channel 48000. I'm starting to think this is impossible or I got the wrong card. But it's not like you can do DTS via the analog, so what else would the SPDIF be for? I don't want to buy an HDMI receiver, but I feel like it's the only way to get what I want without a headache.

partime

Win7 disc data transfer rate is 6.3 with 4x hdd through RAID 0, but 1x died. I noticed a bridge on some pins on the hdd's that, if removed, would raise my 1.5GB transfer rate to 3.0GB. I saw that my motherboard supported the upgrade so I deleted/created a new RAID 0 and reinstalled Windows, but now it jumped from 6.3 to 5.9, any ideas?

So, my brother wants to build a computer, and neither of us know a thing about building one. I thought I'd look over this thread to read up on a few thing and just to ask you guys for help and suggestions. Here is a bundle my brother found on Newegg, and he would like some opinions on it:

1HCqp.png

I don't think the bundle comes with a graphics card, so my brother would like to know what kind of cheap graphics card would be compatible with the Mobo. He would like it to be able to run Star Wars: The Old Republic and - if possible - Battlefield 3.

The bundle will probably cost him around $430, so that leaves him with a budget of $140 for a graphics card. I assume he would also need a sound card, but that can wait 'til later.
He already has a Monitor (resolution 1680 x 1050), KB/M, and OS.

Again, I would just like to clarify that we know next to nothing about the technical mumbo jumbo. We would like PC GAF's help!

Anyone? :(

sikkinixx

Are there any nice mATX cases that are white and can fit in a space 12"W x 16"H x 17"H? It's the space in the Ikea trestle of my desk

vika-artur-trestle-with-shelf__30751_PE119402_S4.jpg

I was looking at this Silverstone one, not white bit looks nice and fits the dimensions I need.

Or maybe Fractal Design one, really plain jane and again not white, but looks nice and fits well.

I just want something smaller than the Antec Nine Hundred I have right now but I don't want it to overheat or whatever while I am playing games. Whit would REALLY fit in better with the look of my room but not a ton of mATX cases in white.

Smokey

Welp called up ASUS today to begin the process of RMA'ing my motherboard. They checked to see if they had any so they could do an advance replacement i.e. send me that board so I have something to use while they handle my current one. Of course they don't. So I have the RMA forms and will probably send it in next week.

Currently posting from my baby now. Played some Battlefield 3 on it earlier and it felt so good. I don't wanna wait 10+ days for the RMA process :(

/firstworldproblems

Juice

I prefer Nvidia personally but that is honestly a good price for the 2gb. I upgraded to the 448 core ti. With the case being cheaper it comes out to about the same. When it comes to drivers and games working correctly I just trust Nvidia a bit more. I havent heard great things when it comes to drivers on AMD. But man that 2gb is temping. Ive never had an AMD card though. hmmm..

I dont suppose the 580's are dropping in price anytime soon eh? lol.

I just fired up my new 6950 up today and love it. The extra VRAM will come in handy at 2560x1440 :)

Havok

Just a quick question - the HD 5770 is still a respectable card, right? I've found one for 90 bucks and am currently building a not-flashy budget rig, just enough to play current stuff at 30 fps mid-high settings (it would be combined with a Phenom II X3 740 (at 3.5GHz currently, with the option to unlock a fourth core in the BIOS) with 4 gigs DDR3). I was looking at the GTX 550 Ti as well, but it was a little out of range, since I'm on a pretty strict budget. I went laptop-only several years ago and stopped following any of the newer generation stuff (the last card I had was a 7900GT). I've looked at a few benchmarks, but I don't have much recent experience as a frame of reference.

Edit: I should mention that it will only be pushing out to a 720p display via HDMI.

A 6770 is a rebadged 5770 i believe so you should consider that too, but 77xx is only a month away with gcn.
Oh, okay, thanks. Seems I can get one for about the same price new through an ebay seller. Had to look up GCN, but it doesn't seem like something I'd actively wait for/pay more for, given that it'll be a pretty light games-only machine for me (I may be fully underestimating the impact that particular feature has). Much appreciated!

Just a quick question - the HD 5770 is still a respectable card, right? I've found one for 90 bucks and am currently building a not-flashy budget rig, just enough to play current stuff at 30 fps mid-high settings (it would be combined with a Phenom II X3 740 (at 3.5GHz currently, with the option to unlock a fourth core in the BIOS) with 4 gigs DDR3). I was looking at the GTX 550 Ti as well, but it was a little out of range, since I'm on a pretty strict budget. I went laptop-only several years ago and stopped following any of the newer generation stuff (the last card I had was a 7900GT). I've looked at a few benchmarks, but I don't have much recent experience as a frame of reference.

A 6770 is a rebadged 5770 i believe so you should consider that too, but 77xx is only a month away with gcn.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Raidmax PSUs are bad. Don't go with that bundle.
I'll sell you a GTX 260 for 70 shipped US.
5770 is a decent card yes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey guys, got a graphics card problem. My GTX560TI 3GB isnt doing as good as it should. Doing the ingame benchmark for Batman Arkham Asylum with the highest settings on 1920*1080 gives me a whopping 11 FPS average, lowest 7 FPS.

The only thing I found so far that might contribute to this is the following.

This is how the clocking should look for a normal GTX560TI according to some guy online who made a tutorial on something:
269Wc.png

And this is how the clock speed actually looks for me:
78yrh.png

Any help whats my issue? I am no expert, but the Memory clock shouldnt be missing that much, right?

CPU: i7-2600. 3,4GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

So I got everything up and running and have most of the drivers installed but I have a two questions, I have both a regular hard drive and a SSD how do I make things install to the hard drive over the SSD.? When I look at my drives my SSD is listed as the C drive and my hard drive isn't listed at all, but it does show up on the device manager.

Rufus

So I got everything up and running and have most of the drivers installed but I have a two questions, I have both a regular hard drive and a SSD how do I make things install to the hard drive over the SSD.? When I look at my drives my SSD is listed as the C drive and my hard drive isn't listed at all, but it does show up on the device manager.
You have to format it. Win+R, "diskmgmt.msc", Enter. Format as NTFS.

dagZ

So my dad bought a new computer, and looking at the specs of it, it actually looks pretty good except for the graphics card.

PttLR.png

So GAF, help me. I want to be able to play Star Wars the Old Republics on High Settings with little to no lag. Is this possible with this computer other than the graphics card. Can you guys Recommend me some off of newegg that will allow me to play on high?

Hey guys, got a graphics card problem. My GTX560TI 3GB isnt doing as good as it should. Doing the ingame benchmark for Batman Arkham Asylum with the highest settings on 1920*1080 gives me a whopping 11 FPS average, lowest 7 FPS.

The only thing I found so far that might contribute to this is the following.

This is how the clocking should look for a normal GTX560TI according to some guy online who made a tutorial on something:
269Wc.png

And this is how the clock speed actually looks for me:
78yrh.png

Any help whats my issue? I am no expert, but the Memory clock shouldnt be missing that much, right?

CPU: i7-2600. 3,4GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Lower tesselation, its implementation sucks and is killing your performance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Download RivaTuner and clock it to where it should be.
Also check with CPU-Z that your PCI-E lane is x16.
If it isn't, lock it in the BIOS to 100 or 101 MHz.

Hello GAF,

I been indecisive if I should just be patient and wait for the 7900's to come out and make the 6950-70 drop in price or just go ahead and buy either a GTX560 ti or 6950 now.

Current rig:

i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz
16gb DDR3 RAM
ATI 4850 512mb

I play in 1080p and although the 4850 is a great card it is showing its age.

Halp.

kpeezy

Banned
Hello GAF,

I been indecisive if I should just be patient and wait for the 7900's to come out and make the 6950-70 drop in price or just go ahead and buy either a GTX560 ti or 6950 now.

Current rig:

i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz
16gb DDR3 RAM
ATI 4850 512mb

I play in 1080p and although the 4850 is a great card it is showing its age.

Halp.

I just upgraded from a 4870 512MB to a 6950 2GB yesterday. From what I read the new 79xx series is going to be $400 or more for a 7950 version. That is totally unconfirmed but given the price of the 7970 it's hard to imagine it being much cheaper. Not sure if that will affect you or not.

I just upgraded from a 4870 512MB to a 6950 2GB yesterday. From what I read the new 79xx series is going to be $400 or more for a 7950 version. That is totally unconfirmed but given the price of the 7970 it's hard to imagine it being much cheaper. Not sure if that will affect you or not.

Yeah I do not plan to buy those 7900's since the price is too high.

I'm sure that upgrade made a big difference, eh?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think we'll see big price drops on current cards. Some small cuts, but I don't think a 6950 is going to see much. Maybe $30 or so?

Might as well wait though, I mean, the new cards should be available within two weeks right?

I don't think we'll see big price drops on current cards. Some cuts, but I don't think a 6950 is going to see a huge price drop.

Might as well wait though, I mean, the new cards should be available within two weeks right?

Yeah, I might as well wait it out. :)

Also, I have two monitors and do plan on playing in a 3840 x 1080 resolution in some games. Do I need any other parts besides the monitors (duh), two DVI cables, and a GPU that is capable of doing this (Eyefinity, Surround)?

kpeezy

Banned
Yeah I do not plan to buy those 7900's since the price is too high.

I'm sure that upgrade made a big difference, eh?

Well, I actually won't have it in my hands until next Monday or Tuesday. I was on the fence about getting a 6950 or waiting and getting a 7950 until I realized how much more it would be.

dagZ

So my dad bought a new computer, and looking at the specs of it, it actually looks pretty good except for the graphics card.

PttLR.png

So GAF, help me. I want to be able to play Star Wars the Old Republics on High Settings with little to no lag. Is this possible with this computer other than the graphics card. Can you guys Recommend me some off of newegg that will allow me to play on high?

anyone?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I might as well wait it out. :)

Also, I have two monitors and do plan on playing in a 3840 x 1080 resolution in some games. Do I need any other parts besides the monitors (duh), two DVI cables, and a GPU that is capable of doing this (Eyefinity, Surround)?
Shouldn't need anything else as far as I know. Not sure how well the 6950 will handle that in some games, just depends on which ones you are playing at that res. Never used Eyefinity myself.

Can't really tell much from that picture. RAM should be good, CPU is okay and shouldn't bottleneck you on most games.

You would probably need something small that doesn't require any external power. Not sure what the best card in that category would be though.

knitoe

Win7 disc data transfer rate is 6.3 with 4x hdd through RAID 0, but 1x died. I noticed a bridge on some pins on the hdd's that, if removed, would raise my 1.5GB transfer rate to 3.0GB. I saw that my motherboard supported the upgrade so I deleted/created a new RAID 0 and reinstalled Windows, but now it jumped from 6.3 to 5.9, any ideas?

HDD aren't fast enough to run 1.5GB (sata1) let along 3.0GB(sata2). Only SSDs are fast enough to take advantage of Sata2 and Sata3.

As to why it's slower, you were running 4X raid 0 which was faster than your current 3X raid 0.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
So I was planning to order my first system 5 days ago but then I went on an a little short unplanned vacation so I didn't. I was originally going to get a GTX 580 but now that its only ten days away I'm going to just wait and grab a HD 7970 when they come out.
Here is my final build list (without a video card.)

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.42 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($218.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.07 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.40 (WITHOUT GPU)
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-30 19:27 EST-0500)

My only issue with waiting on the 7970 is that I would of liked to have this all built and in one piece before I move back into my dorm next Monday, So my plan now is to order everything else and put it together without a video card before I leave home, and then wait very patiently a few days and install the 7970 last after I get my hands on one.

Any dumb first timer mistakes I made with the components I selected?

And thanks again for helping and answering all my my numerous questions Ive posted in the past.

Seventh

For Christmas I got a new fan for my reference 5850 since my old one was dying. I managed to get it installed, and as far as I can tell, everything is working correctly. Here are the results I got after running the 15 minute FurMark burn-in test:

AnY4V.png

I assume everything looks all right, but if not let me know. Or if there's a better test I can run instead to stress my card I can do that as well.

Assuming everything looks all right, I'm now thinking of trying to overclock my GPU some more to take advantage of my new fan. Right now I'm just using AMD's Graphics Overdrive to increase the speed, but I'd like to do a little more. I had heard that you can flash the bios of 5850s so that you can overclock them to roughly 5870 speeds. I'm still new to overclocking, so I'm looking for some help. Is this something I should consider, or is it too hard/risky for someone inexperienced? If it's not too hard or risky could someone kind of point me in the right direction to get started? Or is there a better way to overclock a GPU? Thanks.

Wrekt

I'm trying to order some parts from Newegg, but whenever I add an item to my cart and put in the appropriate promo code, it just refreshes the page and doesn't give an error message. The price remains the same as well. I've ordered plenty from Newegg before and never had a problem with promo codes.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? We've tried two different accounts, three different browsers and even two different operating systems.

Tobe

hi pc-gaf ive got a problem with my video card, for some reason i cant manualy control the fan speed without it affecting the clock speeds, for the longest time (up until these drivers radeon 11.12) ive controlled them normally but now i just cant. is these a known issue or is it just me doing sometinhg wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom