• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrikaWrek

Banned
My GTX 470 crapped out on me :(

Don't know where the receipt and shit is so I'm fucked on that. Any recommendation for the best value for a 200/300 card? I have a intel core 2 quad core Q9450 at stock speed (2.66) and 4GB DDr 2, on a Asus Rampage formula powered by a Corsair HX620.

Cpu temp: 19º (right now, while watching jackie brown in HD and browsing)

Maybe I can overclock that thing?

kharma45

My GTX 470 crapped out on me :(

Don't know where the receipt and shit is so I'm fucked on that. Any recommendation for the best value for a 200/300 card?

Presume we're talking dollars? I'd go for a 7850 with a good cooler and OC it.

Great bang for buck card. I've the MSI Twin Frozr III variant and it's a great card.

Garou

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy an i5 quad core machine. The more future proof the better BUT I do not need a fast video card as I'm not using it for gaming. I have a sata1 hard drive, a monitor, mouse and keyboard so I don't need those either.

The primary purpose of this machine will be to have a MS lab machine for MCITP and multiple VMs open simultaneously.

I may upgrade in the future but the video card is not important at this time, thanks!

Important question: Are newer PCs compatible with SATA1 drives?

You can take the budget-build from the OP, take out the Graphicscard and swap the CPU with an Ivy Bridge i5-model. If you are doing lots of VM you might consider one of the non-K models (3450, 3550), because the 3570K does not support hardware-virtualization.

Should be just about 500$.

ProXimity

Banned
So the site I bought my Gigabyte GTX 670 just up and canceled my order. Refunded my money, but now I have every part except that and the harddrive (which will get here today or tomorrow). Where is the best place I can go in person or order online where I can get it today/tomorrow with some decent one-day shipping rates?

MooMoo

I hear ya on wanting to make sure everything works before stuffing the cables away.

I don't think you're going to torch anything if you don't reorient the CPU cooler (I've got a similar arrangement in my NZXT Vulcan because the cooler wouldn't fit set up front-to-back, but there's two exhaust fans right above it in that case), but in most cases you'll get slightly better results with the horizontal orientation.

The 4+4 line is for your CPU (some motherboards only require a 4-pin connector, while others require 8 pins, hence the split configuration). Leave the PCI-E cables as they are, save for possibly rerouting them under the tray.
Shifted the GPU wire around and it does look a lot neater now! As for the CPU cooler, I really don't feel like reapplying the thermal paste. To be honest, I think my CPU runs pretty cool; it idles around high 30C and under prime95 it barely breaks 60C. I think the most I'm willing to consider with the cooler is a push/pull setup. I'll definitely keep this type of thing in mind whenever I get around to building my second desktop.

Shawn6661

That does seem low. Was anything else running (even something like automated virus scans, etc.) at the time you ran the bench? It's also possible that your CPU throttled itself due to heat - what's the cooling situation like on your CPU?

Its a fresh Win7 install, i dont even have an antivirus running or something like that. Maybe there is some options in Win7 i have to remove ?

As for the cooling situation, im running a 212 evo : 30°C idle, 50°C during Prime95.

Is there any other CPU benchmark i could use to see if there is a problem with my 2500K ?

MooMoo

Ah crap, nothing is displaying. I could blindly log into Windows though and the HDMI cable works with my laptop =/ Tried both the HDMI port on the graphics card and the one on the motherboard and both are no dice.

Edit: Nevermind. Thank god nothing shorted out from that. Although that kind of makes me wonder: why doesn't the HDMI port from the motherboard work? The one from the graphics card works fine though.

MisterNoisy

Ah crap, nothing is displaying. I could blindly log into Windows though and the HDMI cable works with my laptop =/ Tried both the HDMI port on the graphics card and the one on the motherboard and both are no dice.

Ack! Are both PCI-E cables properly seated? Do you have any other displays you could test with?

mkenyon

Banned
Repost from the not so active Race Your PC Thread :

I ve just got a new rig (2500k stock/gtx670/8go@1333mhz).

Here is my 3dmark11 results : http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3493878;jsessionid=1rnuxm37dt89o15dhgb6oetfi8

3DMark Score P8350
Graphics Score 9789
Physics Score 5790
Combined Score 5804

Isnt 5790 a low physics score for a 2500k@stock ?
Seems about right. Overclock it! Also going to be updating that thread tonight.
A question about cooling :

How does room temperature affect air cooling performance? My room gets pretty warm in the summer and I've noticed my fans are having to work a lot harder, was wondering whether water cooling would perform better?
1 degree increase in ambient = 1 degree increase in part temps, generally. It's linear as well.

BitFenix Prodigy

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34773458&postcount=2951

30_en.jpg

BitFenix Unleashes Prodigy - The compact mini-ITX chassis that makes no compromises
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/news/show/54,bitfenix-unleashes-prodigy/

Pricing and Availability

BitFenix Prodigy carries an MSRP of 69€ in the EU, $79 in North America, and will be available on store shelves in early June.

BitFenix Ghost & Prodigy First Look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYmUirG3o8

Bitfenix Prodigy Gehäuse Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1Lm4FEvw0

Product page:
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy/

Gallery:
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy#gallery

MisterNoisy

nnnnnffffffffffffffff

Dat prodigy. Might need to build an itx rig just for it.

Also from Bitfenix's facebook page:

318231_10150976997556388_349216296387_11739278_1337359542_n.jpg

Hell yea! I tried ordering their stuff from their online shop, and it was a pretty terrible experience, so being able to get it from the 'egg will be very nice.

Prodigy + 240 rad + 4c/8t @ max daily OC + GTX 690/HD 7990 + Asus/ASRock Z77 (most likely the Asus with its VRM daughter board)

Surprised a Newegg deal wasn't worked out sooner. Even Micro Center have stocked multiple BitFenix models for months now (thought they seem to randomly suspend/reactivate listings).

NE was also supposed to have the Xigmatek Gigas on sale by January, or so, if not earlier.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33615998&postcount=252
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34836198&postcount=3046

Still no sign of it.

Do I need to go buy thermal paste or anything else for when I put my parts together on Friday?
Stock coolers come with TIM, as do most after market coolers. "Anything else" depends on the specifics of what your purchase consists of, and if you may have left anything out.

mkenyon

Banned
That VRM daughter board is such a genius idea. ASUS is really on top of their game since getting that motherboard designer from EVGA.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I'm currently rocking the SG05-450 but I may have to make a switch to the prodigy next month as a post exam treat :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm going to change the motherboard of my PC, and i heard that if i use this command in Windows 7 :

c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe/quiet/generalize/Shutdow/oobe

That i will be able to change it without needing to reinstall Windows. Is that the correct command or is there something missing?

KillerAJD

yeah that is most likely the issue. Weird that the store didn't tell him that when he bought it though ... can't they update the bios for them? you should at least expect some service when you're still buying at a brick&mortar store right :p

If you must get another board, I've heard pretty good things about the #3 (Asrock) board... Z77M for the #2 is just the name of the board, the chipset should still be Z77

Thanks, he said the store will do it for $25 so he might just do that instead of taking everything apart again.
Second one is Micro-ATX, hence the 'M' designation.
That makes too much sense, haha.

Thanks for the help guys.

Recently did a i5 2500k budget build for a cousin.

I have to say, the Diablotek Evo is surprisingly decent for its price (grabbed it at $27.99 from micro center). I was surprised to see it came with 4x 120mm fans, psu/front filters, and 1x 2.5" mount.

Its only flaws are
1) slightly noisy tops fans
2) small space (definitely on the small end of "mid towers".)
3) Not tool-less.

Other than that, the case was honestly better than some of the lower tier lancool/lian-li/cooler master cases I've dealt with.

ghostmind

About to pull the trigger on this build. Any feedback? Thanks!

Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler Master HAF XM
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600
Corsair HX750
Crucial M4 256GB
WD Caviar Black 2TB
ASUS BC-12B1ST Blu-ray Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB

larvi

I'm going to change the motherboard of my PC, and i heard that if i use this command in Windows 7 :

c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe/quiet/generalize/Shutdow/oobe

That i will be able to change it without needing to reinstall Windows. Is that the correct command or is there something missing?

My experience with Win7 is that there is no need to do anything, simply upgrade the mobo and it will install the correct drivers on the next restart, it does a much better job of this than WinXP did. You do need to have a retail Win7 license though or it won't work. If you want to be extra cautious you can go the sysprep route, here's a good tutorial on it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

MisterNoisy

About to pull the trigger on this build. Any feedback? Thanks!

Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler Master HAF XM
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600
Corsair HX750
Crucial M4 256GB
WD Caviar Black 2TB
ASUS BC-12B1ST Blu-ray Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB

That thing should be a beast once you have it together. Good stuff! :D

mkenyon

Banned
My experience with Win7 is that there is no need to do anything, simply upgrade the mobo and it will install the correct drivers on the next restart, it does a much better job of this than WinXP did. You do need to have a retail Win7 license though or it won't work. If you want to be extra cautious you can go the sysprep route, here's a good tutorial on it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html
There are so many small issues I've seen crop up. I'm even talking from the same motherboard simply to a new motherboard of the same type, only thing different was AMD vs. NVIDIA video card.

I guess I just don't understand the hesitation. It's like an hour process. Plus you get that new computer feeling.

Curufinwe

When I make small movements with my MS Sidewinder mouse, the cursor gets pretty jerky. Could a memory foam mouse pad be the culprit, or is the laser on the Sidewinder known for having issues?

I really like the two vertical thumb buttons on the Sidewinder and it's less than a year old so I don't want to just give up on it, and I only have a small amount of room on my desk for a mouse pad so I can't get one of those big fancy mats.

MisterNoisy

When I make small movements with my MS Sidewinder mouse, the cursor gets pretty jerky. Could a memory foam mouse pad be the culprit, or is the laser on the Sidewinder known for having issues?

I really like the two vertical thumb buttons on the Sidewinder and it's less than a year old so I don't want to just give up on it, and I only have a small amount of room on my desk for a mouse pad so I can't get one of those big fancy mats.

In my experience, that's usually the result of a little piece of lint in the sensor cavity. Turning it over and giving it the NES cartridge treatment fixes it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There are so many small issues I've seen crop up. I'm even talking from the same motherboard simply to a new motherboard of the same type, only thing different was AMD vs. NVIDIA video card.

I guess I just don't understand the hesitation. It's like an hour process. Plus you get that new computer feeling.

All i got is a Vista to Windows 7 upgrade CD that i bought months ago. Can i even reinstall with only that?

But anyway, I just want to avoid reinstalling, because i got so much shit installed and reinstalling everything will take me hours. Changing the motherboard alone is already going to keep me busy for a while.

MrBig

In my experience, that's usually the result of a little piece of lint in the sensor cavity. Turning it over and giving it the NES cartridge treatment fixes it.

Yeah, a can of compressed air with a tube nozzle will work even better. Also give the mat a good cleaning; hand wash with soap and leave it to dry.

All i got is a Vista to Windows 7 upgrade CD that i bought months ago. Can i even reinstall with only that?

But anyway, I just want to avoid reinstalling, because i got so much shit installed and reinstalling everything will take me hours. Changing the motherboard alone is already going to keep me busy for a while.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/clean-install-with-windows-7-upgrade-media-get-the-facts/1505

mkenyon

Banned
There you have it.

Trust me, you will thank yourself for a fresh install. It's like getting into bed after you've washed all of your sheets, but even better.

MrBig

There you have it.

Trust me, you will thank yourself for a fresh install. It's like getting into bed after you've washed all of your sheets, but even better.

Indeed. I do it every few months just because. Takes me less than an hour to get back to the same point.

Sethos

Banned
Dammit. Earlier today I returned to my machine that had a black screen on both monitors. Assumed the monitors had gone into standby but it was frozen solid - Restarted. Then when on the desktop earlier, everything froze and a 0x00000124 BSOD popped up ( General hardware error I believe ) which I've seen before when OCing my CPU. Upped the voltages a bit as my CPU is undervolted, dropped the GPU overclock a tad and now I'm hoping it'll stay solid ...

God damn it's a shitty feeling when you system suddenly goes unstable after having been rock stable since the build :(

In my case, the reason I was hesitant about doing that (although I'm basically resigned to just sticking with my current mobo) is just because it was on an SSD, and I felt like wiping and reinstalling Windows and everything would needlessly use a lot of write cycles and could reduce the drive's lifespan. I can't help but think of writes like a scarce resource and didn't want my first install to be "wasted."

But I take your point.

mkenyon

Banned
Dammit. Earlier today I returned to my machine that had a black screen on both monitors. Assumed the monitors had gone into standby but it was frozen solid - Restarted. Then when on the desktop earlier, everything froze and a 0x00000124 BSOD popped up ( General hardware error I believe ) which I've seen before when OCing my CPU. Upped the voltages a bit as my CPU is undervolted, dropped the GPU overclock a tad and now I'm hoping it'll stay solid ...

God damn it's a shitty feeling when you system suddenly goes unstable after having been rock stable since the build :(
In my experience, since most of the settings are made for full load, and thats where all of the stress testing happens to make sure it's kickin butt, it's the idle times when things get wonky.

It's a bit like muscle cars. When they're sitting at idle, it sounds like they're about to break down. As soon as you go WOT, the thing hums like it's perfect.

Or maybe it's just mad at you for suffocating it under like 40lbs of heatsink metal. Your motherboard needs some daylight!

Ok gang need advice.

currently I have this z77 board:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69887&vpn=P8Z77-V LE&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1205

Is getting this soundcard even worth it, or should I stick to onboard for sound?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=56330
It'll be an improvement, but 'worth it' is subjective when it comes to audio. If you want more headphone oomph, maybe an external DAC/Amp is more what you're looking for.

Sethos

Banned
In my experience, since most of the settings are made for full load, and thats where all of the stress testing happens to make sure it's kickin butt, it's the idle times when things get wonky.

It's a bit like muscle cars. When they're sitting at idle, it sounds like they're about to break down. As soon as you go WOT, the thing hums like it's perfect.

Or maybe it's just mad at you for suffocating it under like 40lbs of heatsink metal. Your motherboard needs some daylight!

Haha, yeah it probably wants to get out. The system have had a ton of idle time, this thing just started today - Only real change is that I installed the new Nvidia driver the other day, so that might have something to do with it I don't know.

Oh well, I'll keep testing with the increased Vcore and dropped GPU core. Summer has also come around so ambient temps in the room are quite high, however the system temps are fine so not sure.

·feist·;38167979 said:

Question about this:

I have a windows 7 upgrade key, which was originally used on a bootcamp partition on my macbook. I don't think I formally uninstalled it, I just deleted the partition because I wasn't using it.

I still have the key and could get an iso for the upgrade, I'm sure.

Could I install it on my new build and not run into trouble?

Cloning your HDD to SSD, with everything else constant, is one thing (though it can be problematic).

Trying to avoid reinstalling the OS, with major unrelated component changes involved, is never worth it for a continual use 24/7 rig.

Recently did a i5 2500k budget build for a cousin.

I have to say, the Diablotek Evo is surprisingly decent for its price (grabbed it at $27.99 from micro center). I was surprised to see it came with 4x 120mm fans, psu/front filters, and 1x 2.5" mount.

Its only flaws are
1) slightly noisy tops fans
2) small space (definitely on the small end of "mid towers".)
3) Not tool-less.

Other than that, the case was honestly better than some of the lower tier lancool/lian-li/cooler master cases I've dealt with.
I'm don't know if you bought it based on the OP, but the reasons above, and its build quality, are exactly why it's in the recommendations.

Even Cooler Master can't compete with the Evo at its most common price points, unless you find a discounted HAF 912. To CM's credit, their sub-$50 options just fall short as an overall proposition, unlike Thermaltake which sells tin cans masquerading as computer enclosures.

The slight fan noise coming from the top 120mms is due to their bearings. That bearing type never does well in horizontal use. Some same-ish fan models are just more susceptible to the effects of horizontal placement than others.

You should try oiling your top exhaust fans, and, when you're able to, replacing them with a better set of budget options.

Question about this:

I have a windows 7 upgrade key, which was originally used on a bootcamp partition on my macbook. I don't think I formally uninstalled it, I just deleted the partition because I wasn't using it.

Yes. If you don't pass the online verification, a 5-7 minute phone call verification normally works.

krzy123

Question about this:

I'm sure its fine, just to use the clean install instructions quoted. Its same as if you move from one pc to another.

As a guy who has bought nothing but ASUS boards outside of a single Sapphire ITX board (between workstations, servers, and all my projects, I'm talking a *lot* of motherboards), I recently just bought a Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2. I'm actually quite enamored with it. Posted a pic of it a page or two back.

When it comes to the more mainstream stuff, Gigabyte had a fairly serious issue that cropped up enough to limit an OP mention with P67/Z68. Haz only puts stuff in there that has been through the ringer without any major issues, while being very affordable. ASUS, ASRock, and (new to making the cut with Z77) Biostar seem to be doing really well.

Oh ok.

Thanks for the response.

RedSwirl

Gentlemen, after stupidly realizing that installing my GPU added an HDMI port to the back of my system a year after the fact, I am now in the market for a wireless keyboard and mouse. Preferably wireless UBS, as my system doesn't have Bluetooth.

MrBig

I was going through Asus's AI suite auto overclocking guide, just to see how it handles it. Now it does set the voltage quite high, but would it be a good idea to let it test each of the cores automatically for me, then undervolt and do an IBT/Prime95?

mkenyon

Banned
Nah, I'd still just do it up in BIOS.

If you have a long boot time, I suppose you could use it to get an idea, then nail it all down in BIOS. That's actually really useful, never thought of it.

DAMNIT.

Went to install some RAM, destroyed my graphics card.

With the card installed, the PC will boot for 2 seconds, turn off, re-boot and the fans will spin at 100% with no display. Re-boot and the process repeats.

Using integrated graphics for now. Got a new 570 coming tomorrow. Old one is still under warranty so I'll likely sell the replacement I get for it.

MrBig

Nah, I'd still just do it up in BIOS.

If you have a long boot time, I suppose you could use it to get an idea, then nail it all down in BIOS. That's actually really useful, never thought of it.

That's what I was thinking. Their testing does seem quite thorough and saves a lot of time and possible frustration. You could also use the software to do real time adjustments and then change bios settings when you find stable values.

mkenyon

Banned
DAMNIT.

Went to install some RAM, destroyed my graphics card.

With the card installed, the PC will boot for 2 seconds, turn off, re-boot and the fans will spin at 100% with no display. Re-boot and the process repeats.

Using integrated graphics for now. Got a new 570 coming tomorrow. Old one is still under warranty so I'll likely sell the replacement I get for it.
What'd you do to it?

Try reseating, replugging power, cleaning the finger contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom