• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Gaf I need to ask you something. I have an Enermax Infiniti 650W PSU that came with a case (Thermaltake Kandalf) that I got on the cheap.

I'm wondering if I'm running a GTX 670/i5 3570K/ Z77 setup could I use it or would I have to buy a newer PSU

Shambles

30_en.jpg

That looks amazing and will probably become my HTPC. The only downside is that despite its size it's still only an ITX case instead of an mATX case. It has tons of room for drives and water cooling though. I'd gladly give up the radiator space though for mATX support.

K' Dash

DAMNIT.

Went to install some RAM, destroyed my graphics card.

With the card installed, the PC will boot for 2 seconds, turn off, re-boot and the fans will spin at 100% with no display. Re-boot and the process repeats.

Using integrated graphics for now. Got a new 570 coming tomorrow. Old one is still under warranty so I'll likely sell the replacement I get for it.

You could tell us what you did wrong, so we won't make the same mistake when building our systems.

mkenyon

Banned
That looks amazing and will probably become my HTPC. The only downside is that despite its size it's still only an ITX case instead of an mATX case. It has tons of room for drives and water cooling though. I'd gladly give up the radiator space though for mATX support.
They're aiming this for the LAN/enthusiast crowd over entertainment center. Hard to compete with Lian Li and Silverstone in that area who already have tons of choices.

MisterNoisy

If it makes you feel any better, I rush things more than I should. So just don't rush and you'll be ok.

I wonder if residual power in the PC torched something. Whenever I'm going to be digging around in my boxes, I flip the switch on the back of the PSU off and then hit the power button on the PC (generally the fans will spin a little and LEDs light up briefly as the system 'drains' completely) and then disconnect the power cable first. My buddy thinks I'm a little too anal, but it's only a few seconds' time.

I honestly would if I could. Haha. I seriously don't know what I did, maybe I had too much static while moving it about but I made sure to touch the case as much as possible.

Have you tried starting the PC with 1 stick of ram at a time to make sure they are both ok? Does the videocard have proper power connections to it?

Indeed. I do it every few months just because. Takes me less than an hour to get back to the same point.

I have been thinking about doing a clean install, but I have one question:

I currently have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb hardrive. I (probably stupidly) installed Steam on the SSD but I used Steam Mover to move all my games to the 1tb hardrive.

1) If I do a clean install on the SSD, will it screw up access to the Steam games on the regular harddrive?

2) Is there an easy way to move Steam to the regular harddrive without breaking access to my games?

I have something like 400gb of game data on the 1tb drive. I really dont want to have to redownload all of it.

MrBig

I have been thinking about doing a clean install, but I have one question:

I currently have a 128gb SSD and a 1tb hardrive. I (probably stupidly) installed Steam on the SSD but I used Steam Mover to move all my games to the 1tb hardrive.

1)If I do a clean install on the SSD, will it screw up access to the Steam games on the regular harddrive?

2) is there an easy way to move Steam to the regular harddrive without breaking access to my games. I have something like 300gb of game data on it. I really dont want to have to redownload all of it.

You should be fine keeping it on the HDD, but if it gives you trouble try researching junction points and using them.

Are the Seagates really bad and the WD's good now?

It was pretty the opposite for me but to be fair i haven't dealt with PC parts for a good while now.

The whole HDD market went to shit. WD makes decent stuff still, but the industry is going through a much needed transition to SSDs with renewed competition in storage tech.

·feist·;38169361 said:
I'm don't know if you bought it based on the OP, but the reasons above, and its build quality, are exactly why it's in the recommendations.

Even Cooler Master can't compete with the Evo at its most common price points, unless you find a discounted HAF 912. To CM's credit, their sub-$50 options just fall short as an overall proposition, unlike Thermaltake which sells tin cans masquerading as computer enclosures.

Never paid attention to diablotek evo, even when it was in the OP.
Cooler master cases has always been the popular option for the sub-70 range, and I usually just go with the HAF/690 when I'm doing builds for others, and lian-li cases for myself (even though I find them to be overpriced.)

I was honestly expecting a piece of junk (thermaltake v3 was selling at similar price ranges), with no additional fans and no 2.5" mount. So I was more than surprised when I see what was packed in + the build quality. If it wasn't for the lack of the front esata and size (only 3 5.25" bays), I would honestly just go with the evo for all future budget builds.

K' Dash

I wonder if residual power in the PC torched something. Whenever I'm going to be digging around in my boxes, I flip the switch on the back of the PSU off and then hit the power button on the PC (generally the fans will spin a little and LEDs light up briefly as the system 'drains' completely) and then disconnect the power cable first. My buddy thinks I'm a little too anal, but it's only a few seconds' time.

This is something I will take into account, thank you for sharing, you can never be too careful, frying an almost $300 video card is definetly one of the recurring nightmares I have when thinking about building my own PC.

RedSwirl

Okay GAF, I think I have a couple options as to how I want to upgrade this year, and it depends on whether or not my current desktop is still up to snuff.

My original plan was to get a new desktop and set it up as an HTPC for videos and gaming, and then somewhere down the line get a new laptop (preferably a MacBook) for work (and Diablo... and TF2). I currently use one desktop for both.

I just found out however that I can already connect my current desktop to my TV and pretty much convert it into an HTPC if I can just get my hands on a wireless USB mouse and keyboard (the system doesn't have bluetooth). It's a five-year-old Vista 32bit system with a Q6600 CPU and just 3GB of RAM, but I added an HD6850 last year so it can run almost all current games in 1080p. The only exception is The Witcher 2 which still maintains 30fps in 1080p.

So:

Option 1: Keep my current desktop as an HTPC and compliment it with a MacBook Pro this year.

Option 2: Get a new desktop as an HTPC for next gen gaming, keep the old desktop as a work system, and get the MacBook Pro much later down the line.

Also, I'd still like some suggestions for a wireless USB mouse and keyboard regardless.

Okay GAF, I think I have a couple options as to how I want to upgrade this year, and it depends on whether or not my current desktop is still up to snuff.

My original plan was to get a new desktop and set it up as an HTPC for videos and gaming, and then somewhere down the line get a new laptop (preferably a MacBook) for work (and Diablo... and TF2). I currently use one desktop for both.

I just found out however that I can already connect my current desktop to my TV and pretty much convert it into an HTPC if I can just get my hands on a wireless USB mouse and keyboard (the system doesn't have bluetooth). It's a five-year-old Vista 32bit system with a Q6600 CPU and just 3GB of RAM, but I added an HD6850 last year so it can run almost all current games in 1080p. The only exception is The Witcher 2 which still maintains 30fps in 1080p.

So:

Option 1: Keep my current desktop as an HTPC and compliment it with a MacBook Pro this year.

Option 2: Get a new desktop as an HTPC for next gen gaming, keep the old desktop as a work system, and get the MacBook Pro much later down the line.

Also, I'd still like some suggestions for a wireless USB mouse and keyboard regardless.

If you already have a blutooth keyboard, you can just buy a cheap USB blutooth adapter. They are less than $10.

I'd say go with option 2.

MrBig

So:

I'd keep your current system and maybe upgrade a few components, and then buy the Macbook later on (also be aware that Windows 8 tablets are going to start coming out later this year- though only consider x86 ones, not arm-, so look at those as an alternative to a macbook)

RedSwirl

If you already have a blutooth keyboard, you can just buy a cheap USB blutooth adapter. They are less than $10.

I'd say go with option 2.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard but not a mouse.

Andy why option 2? I'm leaning towards option 2 but I wanna be sure my current desktop really won't keep up when next gen gaming starts. It's still nowhere near hopelessly slow. It just struggles a bit on the absolute top-tier PC games and is running out of hard drive space. Though I would like to try out some ENB configs...

I'd keep your current system and maybe upgrade a few components, and then buy the Macbook later on (also be aware that Windows 8 tablets are going to start coming out later this year- though only consider x86 ones, not arm-, so look at those as an alternative to a macbook)

What's left to upgrade though? I've been told that any further upgrades would just be held back by my CPU, and I know for sure that I can't upgrade my CPU without replacing the whole motherboard. It's a pre-built DELL. I guess I could upgrade the internal HDD again, but I don't know anything about upgrading RAM.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard but not a mouse.

Andy why option 2? I'm leaning towards option 2 but I wanna be sure my current desktop really won't keep up when next gen gaming starts. It's still nowhere near hopelessly slow. It just struggles a bit on the absolute top-tier PC games and is running out of hard drive space. Though I would like to try out some ENB configs...

Then all you need is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320057

The reason I would say Option 2 is better is because then you'll have a HDTV PC and a regular desktop PC. There are some games that are great for couch play, but there are also a number that only work well at a desk with a keyboard and mouse. Also if you share the TV with others, it means you'll always be able to take your saves (thanks Steam Cloud!) and continue on your desktop PC.

I have this very set up and it's great. My HDTV PC isn't as powerful, but it doesn't need to be. Putting out pictures at 720P or 1080P with some medium settings is good enough for couch play.

MrBig

What's left to upgrade though? I've been told that any further upgrades would just be held back by my CPU, and I know for sure that I can't upgrade my CPU without replacing the whole motherboard. It's a pre-built DELL. I guess I could upgrade the internal HDD again, but I don't know anything about upgrading RAM.

You would be bottlenecked by the CPU with a more powerful GPU, yes but it is an option if you don't want to pay for a whole new build.

You could grab a SSD, 8gb of RAM, and a 64bit copy of W7. (~$250)

If you're ready and willing to spend the money on a new system definitely do that though.

MisterNoisy

So:

Like the others, I like option 2. It's always nice to have at least one beastly/newer PC at your disposal to play the next big thing on.

Today I've ordered 2 M4 128gb Crucial SSDs.. I thought I could have one as a boot windows 7 drive with apps etc, the other could be a steam drive with other games... I have 2 1tb F3s for data, music, other crap..

Have I been stupid or was this a good idea? Any input would be appreciated!

Madridy

Today I've ordered 2 M4 128gb Crucial SSDs.. I thought I could have one as a boot windows 7 drive with apps etc, the other could be a steam drive with other games... I have 2 1tb F3s for data, music, other crap..

Have I been stupid or was this a good idea? Any input would be appreciated!

Why didn't you just buy the 256GB version?

It is cheaper (Than the two combined) and faster too.

Why didn't you just buy the 256GB version?

It is cheaper (Than the two combined) and faster too.

Because where I am I saved quite a bit getting the 2 smaller drives.. (They were on offer)

Also I was under the impression that the 128GB has faster small file reads than the larger drives.

knitoe

Yes unless you're open to SandForce drives.

Just be sure to update to the latest firmware.

Samsung 830 SSD faster and more reliable than the Crucial SSD.

Because where I am I saved quite a bit getting the 2 smaller drives.. (They were on offer)

Also I was under the impression that the 128GB has faster small file reads than the larger drives.

Believe, read speeds are the same. Though, slower write speeds in the smaller SSD. But, if you run them in raid 0, you'll get the same total size with much faster reads and writes. That's why I always go with 2 smaller drives. Haven't run into drive failure or data corruption yet in all these years, from HDD to SSD.

Ah interesting point, do you think I should run them in a raid 0 then? I was considering it but wasn't sure of the reliability side of things with SSD, in comparision with the realistic real world performance gain it would yield..

mkenyon

Banned
Ah interesting point, do you think I should run them in a raid 0 then? I was considering it but wasn't sure of the reliability side of things with SSD, in comparision with the realistic real world performance gain it would yield..
When you run RAID0, you are accepting the fact that everything on it is totally expendable.
What's the max acceptable temps for a 2500k Prime95 stress test?
I like keeping it in the 70s on air.

Ceebs

Maybe someone here can help me find something I could use.

I have a variety of USB 2.0 devices that I need to connect to my PC daily. As of now I have just a loose cable I use for all of them, but want something less cluttery. Is there such a thing as a dock or hub that has retractable device cables I could just leave on the desk and just pull out the cable (not the cable that connects to the PC) when needed?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Friend of mine recently bought a new PC from ibuypower, and they compared prices with the typical places for the individual parts and found it to be worth it. Are they typically okay?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well... i changed my motherboard, and now Windows 7 wont even boot and the repair option of my CD doesn't work... guess i'm stuck in doing a fresh install. =/

Tenck

Most suitable place to ask.

I bought a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex Home. Problem is that it doesn't have that little small USB hole like the other External HDDs do. It's the HDD itself and an adapter. On the adapter it has an ethernet port and a regular USB port. I was wondering if I could buy an eSata usb adapter like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FPOJ64/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and connect it to my laptop. Would it work? Or am I screwed?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Small update, sorry for the wait. It shouldn't have been that long even if it was mostly only adding the 670 to the list.

uJA6P.png

Friend of mine recently bought a new PC from ibuypower, and they compared prices with the typical places for the individual parts and found it to be worth it. Are they typically okay?
Typically go cheap on the mobo and PSU which I don't like. For gaming performance / $ they aren't bad if you find a good deal.

If you've got time, build your own.
If you've got money, buy a better brand
If you've got no time and no money get iBuyPower

MisterNoisy

Usually, you'll 10-20% pay more for identical setups at places like that. How much more depends on how picky you are about components - they tend to cheap out on PSUs and the like unless you pay a pretty hefty premium, and you don't get to pick exactly the parts you want (you'll see the words 'or major brand' a lot). In trade, you usually get tech support and a warranty, so there's that.

You also miss out on the fun of building by going that route, and it's relatively easy/painless now. :(

T-Matt

·feist·;38164249 said:
I think I'm in love. I really want to do a mini-itx build now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom