• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterNoisy

I think my graphics card just died. I went to boot up and the MSI screen at the beginning looks 16 bit and there's loads of bright red horizontal lines. Then the "starting windows" screen comes up and that's all low res too with loads of red lines. Then tge display goes blank and "mode not supported" comes on the screen. That's the problem. I have a GeForce 560 ti.

... It's dead, right?

Yeah - your video card is probably torched.

J0dy77

Looking at Hazaro's builds and thinking about building a budget system. How would BF3 run with the following parts:

Intel i3 2120 2C/4T 3.3Ghz
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
8gb G.Skill Ares 1600
Evga Geforce GTX 550 ti

Like I mentioned a little earlier in the thread. I can't justify spending 1k on a machine anymore for the limited pc gaming I do. I'd like to find something that can run BF3, Witcher 2, Skyrim without breaking the bank. When the next crop of games comes out I'd consider another $500 build to fit that. Even if I have to wait a few years to play the games.

abunai

Looking at Hazaro's builds and thinking about building a budget system. How would BF3 run with the following parts:

ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
8gb G.Skill Ares 1600
Evga Geforce GTX 550 ti

Like I mentioned a little earlier in the thread. I can't justify spending 1k on a machine anymore for the limited pc gaming I do. I'd like to find something that can run BF3, Witcher 2, Skyrim without breaking the bank. When the next crop of games comes out I'd consider another $500 build to fit that. Even if I have to wait a few years to play the games.

Check out this link for an idea. Naturally you'll need to shave some FPS off those lists due to the CPU being a dual core, but it'll be in the same ballpark. Or lower some settings, too.

It'll run stuff well, just not on high settings. Still around console levels of fidelity (and higher) at higher resolutions.

Smokey

I ordered my 27" 2560x1440 Crossover today, not quite as good as that beast, but I can't wait to get it :)

You coming from a TN panel? I think you'll be pretty impressed. And I only have 160 more pixels than you so you'll most likely get the same experience :p. What hardware are you using to push it?

J0dy77

Check out this link for an idea. Naturally you'll need to shave some FPS off those lists due to the CPU being a dual core, but it'll be in the same ballpark. Or lower some settings, too.

It'll run stuff well, just not on high settings. Still around console levels of fidelity (and higher) at higher resolutions.

44 frames per second seems more than what I would get on a console. I'm not looking for ultra high settings, I just don't want to see constant hitching when playing at high resolutions on newer games.

Danj

There's plenty of stuff in here about building a performance gaming PC on a budget. But what if you want to build a really quiet PC? I'm thinking of replacing the ancient Linux server box I have at my parents' house; I want to build something powerful enough to run virtual machines on, but at the same time it needs to be as quiet as possible. It's a server so it's not going to have a discrete GPU, which should help, but apart from that I have no real idea what sort of parts to pick to make a PC quiet. Any suggestions?

MrBig

You coming from a TN panel? I think you'll be pretty impressed. And I only have 160 more pixels than you so you'll most likely get the same experience :p. What hardware are you using to push it?

Yeah I'm coming from a laptop with a 18.4" 1080 TN screen and a 9600m. I just built a rig with a 3570k (4.4ghz) and an Asus 670 (1290mhz), the monitor is the last thing I need to complete the build

(also you've got four hundred thousand more pixels than my 3,686,400 :p)

n0n44m

There's plenty of stuff in here about building a performance gaming PC on a budget. But what if you want to build a really quiet PC? I'm thinking of replacing the ancient Linux server box I have at my parents' house; I want to build something powerful enough to run virtual machines on, but at the same time it needs to be as quiet as possible. It's a server so it's not going to have a discrete GPU, which should help, but apart from that I have no real idea what sort of parts to pick to make a PC quiet. Any suggestions?

Fractal R3 (or similarly noise-insulated case) + fancontroller to turn down casefans to ~600 rpm

CM 212+ cpu heatsink (or other heatsink with PWM controlled fans) + bios fan control set to silent

SSD instead of HDD, or set any HDD to spindown when not used for ~20 mins

quality silent PSU (although most really nice ones such as the AX650 are overkill for any simple server)

Smokey

Yeah I'm coming from a laptop with a 18.4" 1080 TN screen and a 9600m. I just built a rig with a 3570k (4.4ghz) and an Asus 670 (1290mhz), the monitor is the last thing I need to complete the build

(also you've got four hundred thousand more pixels than my 3,686,400 :p)

I meant vertically, but yeah bad math is bad :p. Difference will be even more pronounced for you then coming from a laptop screen. Enjoy, post when you get it curious to see what you think coming from your previous setup.

DeVeAn

The thing about mice is you should just go with something that's comfortable to you. Get down to a shop and see if they'll let you handle them. I have a Deathadder and love it, but when I tried the Mamba (which is meant to be better in every way) I found the shape had changed on the right side which made my little finger strain and feel uncomfortable.

In terms of mice I've tried recently that I find comfortable, the Deathadder is one, but I also liked the Cyborg R.A.T. 5 and the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Don't skimp much on it since you'll have it for a fair few years (like your MX), and ignore the whole DPI thing unless you play FPS games constantly; so long as it works well and has enough buttons for what you use then you'll be fine.

So I still have my MX and love it. I really think I didn't need to get a mouse I just wanted the diablo 3 mouse. I replaced it with deathadder and it feels great but, playing diablo makes my fingers stiff. I only ever really cared about comfort and its like my hand molded to the MX and its hard to use anything else. I wanted a wired mouse to avoid re-charging it but it seems like I really need the comfort.

mkenyon

Banned
Fractal R3 (or similarly noise-insulated case) + fancontroller to turn down casefans to ~600 rpm

CM 212+ cpu heatsink (or other heatsink with PWM controlled fans) + bios fan control set to silent

quality silent PSU (although most really nice ones such as the AX650 are overkill for any simple server)
Pretty much this.

There's a great fanless CPU heatsink as well as a fanless PSU that ought to do the trick. I'd aim for either Bulldozer or an i7 for the task you're looking for too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ieAe9XidmI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEoUmqzscw&feature=plcp

ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
8gb G.Skill Ares 1600
Evga Geforce GTX 550 ti

Save up a bit more and get a better graphics card. Aim for a 560Ti or 560Ti 448 core. The difference in performance for the relatively small amount of price increase is well worth every cent.

is it worth it for me to buy a high end gaming pc now? or should I wait until the next gen consoles arrive? I want something that will be next gen ready and serve me for at least 5 years or something..

edit: i already have all 3 current gen consoles...so I would want a gaming pc for games that can't run on them

MrBig

Heck, my R3 with its 2 stock fans and the Macho's fan cranked up to their maximum RPM are inaudible from more than a couple feet away.

The R3 is apparently being phased out though, it isn't available on newegg anymore.

Heck, my R3 with its 2 stock fans and the Macho's fan cranked up to their maximum RPM are inaudible from more than a couple feet away.

The R3 is apparently being phased out though, it isn't available on newegg anymore.

God damn it! I knew I should have just ordered the case ahead of time. I love the looks of that case. I hope this means they are coming out with the R4. Anything in the rumor mill?

mkenyon

Banned
is it worth it for me to buy a high end gaming pc now? or should I wait until the next gen consoles arrive? I want something that will be next gen ready and serve me for at least 5 years or something..

edit: i already have all 3 current gen consoles...so I would want a gaming pc for games that can't run on them
Let me peer into my crystal ball!

Parts are good now, to the point where they are adding technology to use up the extra overhead. You *should* probably be fine, but no one ever knows the future for certain.

Let me peer into my crystal ball!

Parts are good now, to the point where they are adding technology to use up the extra overhead. You *should* probably be fine, but no one ever knows the future for certain.

My budget is probably gonna be around $1500. I guess if anything I can just update parts in the future?

Dirtdog07

Neo Member
Just installed my second 680 for SLI. I am now going to be getting a new monitor to take advantage of it but not sure what to get. Is it worth going 3D 120hz or just spend some extra on a 27' 2560x1440, do you guys recommend any specific models? Thanks

img0307zf.jpg

JJBro One

what's more powerful sli 580's or a single 670? How about a single 680? One of my 580's died and I'm debating whether to get another one or a 670 or 680.

mkenyon

Banned
Just installed my second 680 for SLI. I am now going to be getting a new monitor to take advantage of it but not sure what to get. Is it worth going 3D 120hz or just spend some extra on a 27' 2560x1440, do you guys recommend any specific models? Thanks
If you like playing games and being taken in by graphics, stuff like Witcher or Metro, that sort of thing, a big format display might be more up your alley.

If you play fast paced games, lots of shooters, moba/arts/rts, or just lots of competitive games, 120hz is where its at. Though not for the 3D.

what's more powerful sli 580's or a single 670? How about a single 680? One of my 580's died and I'm debating whether to get another one or a 670 or 680.
Two 580s are much more powerful than one of either. 670 is not much of a gain at all above a single 580, 680 is a bit more.

Petrie

Banned
lSo my buddy wants to be able to, and I'm quoting " run Diablo 3 smooth and have it look nice", on as little a budget as possible. I have some parts around I could use, though it seems likely I'll need to do a complete build. You guys tell me:

Have a spare:

8 gigs (4 2 gig sticks) of DDR 2 Ram
Geforce 9500 GT
Intel Dual core (forget the exact model) that fits my spare mobo
P5Q pro motherboard
Some crappy 200-250 Watt Power Supply (prom a pre-build HP PC)
The case and mobo from the same pre-build

If I can use any of this and still give him something that'll run Diablo 3 well, great, if not, where should I start with regard to a build that will be used pretty much for that game, so he says?

LordAlu

So my buddy wants to be able to, and I'm quoting " run Diablo 3 smooth and have it look nice", on as little a budget as possible. I have some parts around I could use, though it seems likely I'll need to do a complete build. You guys tell me:

Have a spare:

8 gigs (4 2 gig sticks) of DDR 2 Ram
Geforce 8800 GT
Intel Dual core (forget the exact model) that fits my spare mobo
P5Q pro motherboard
Some crappy 200-250 Watt Power Supply (prom a pre-build HP PC)
The case and mobo from the same pre-build

If I can use any of this and still give him something that'll run Diablo 3 well, great, if not, where should I start with regard to a build that will be used pretty much for that game, so he says?
I had an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz) with 6GB DDR2 and a GTX 560Ti and it ran Diablo 3 in 1080p on medium to high settings at ~30 FPS. You could update the graphics card and the PSU and it should run pretty good. If he moves on to more intensive games he'd probably need to upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM then.

Not sure where to ask, so I'll ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations for software to play BluRays? Or is there any software that I can use to bypass the DRM on the disc? I tried DAPlayer but it only plays a black screen with sound.

Alright, so if you have seen my previous posts about my random BSOD's I've started looking at the hardware components for my computer. When I run Prime95 I usually get a BSOD failure within a minute. Right now I'm testing the computer with just one RAM stick and pulled the other and Prime95 has yet to fail. Also on my computers BIOS it has three performance settings, power saver, standard, performance, I originally set it to performance, but I just switched it to standard. After a while I will test the other RAM stick and see if that causes the failure, if so great I know the problem, if not it was must be related to the performance setting on my BIOS, my question is if that is what is leading to the failure, what is causing it to fail? I know this post probably makes little sense so I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

Smokey

Got the 690 installed:

DSC_0724.jpg

Yes the dust has been wiped off, and yes my cabling is not Mkenyon quality (but who's is?!), yes the colors are fighting each other...but it works :)

First impressions: My desk area is a LOT cooler with this in then the 580s. Quite nice. Game wise I've been using the Adaptive v-sync feature with Precision X on BF3. Dunno if it actually helps in my situation, but it seems like it's removed that v-sync lag that I hate.

Petrie

Banned
Odd question. I installed a new GPU in my girl'a PC, left the room, came back, and the CPU fan was running as fast and furious as I've ever heard it, and the screen had become distorted, almost a fake "cracked look to it. Turned it off quickly, let it sit, rebooted, and everything is fine now. Thoughts? Should I be worried?

The USB ports also seem to be having issues now. :/

mkenyon

Banned
Got the 690 installed:

Yes the dust has been wiped off, and yes my cabling is not Mkenyon quality (but who's is?!), yes the insides are colors are fighting each other...but it works :)

First impressions: My desk area is a LOT cooler with this in then the 580s. Quite nice. Game wise I've been using the Adaptive v-sync feature with Precision X on BF3. Dunno if it actually helps in my situation, but it seems like it's removed that v-sync lag that I hate.
Thanks for the compliments!

One thing I noticed, I switched my top to intake, and the rear/front to exhaust, which dropped the temps pretty significantly. Basically, imagine you have two 680s on that PCB. One is pointed towards the back of your case, one towards the front. That stuff towards the front just gets shot right back at it with front intake.

kaioshade

I built my new computer over the weekend
Turned out pretty good Unfortunately i could not get a top tier video card, but it works with what i throw at it for now.

Intel Core i5 3570 - overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB
HDD: Samsung 470 256GB SSD
HDD2: WD Caviar 1TB
Power Supply: Seasonic 620W Modular
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560TI
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E

Some notes:
I know the 470 is only a Sata 2 SSD. I had it left over, so used it.
And i game at 1360x768 on my television, so hopefully the graphics card would be alright for a little while.
Pics when i get home of the build

mkenyon

Banned
That's a lot of memory!

Great build otherwise, 560Ti is a great card. It's not the new hotness, but it has plenty of power for almost all games at even 1080P with high settings.

kharma45

I built my new computer over the weekend
Turned out pretty good Unfortunately i could not get a top tier video card, but it works with what i throw at it for now.

Intel Core i5 3570 - overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB
HDD: Samsung 470 256GB SSD
HDD2: WD Caviar 1TB
Power Supply: Seasonic 620W Modular
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560TI
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E

Some notes:
I know the 470 is only a Sata 2 SSD. I had it left over, so used it.
And i game at 1360x768 on my television, so hopefully the graphics card would be alright for a little while.
Pics when i get home of the build

For gaming at 720p you'll be fine for a good while.

You guys could give advice about these two monitors:

Dell U2312HM - IPS Panel - R$698,00 (US$349.00)

and

Dell S2330MX - TN Panel - R$598,00 (US$299.00)

So, is a IPS panel really worth the extra bucks? It'll be used for games, web surfing and office aplications.

edit: sorry if this was already answered, but Search is off due to E3 and I have till Thursday to decide.

mr stroke

You guys could give advice about these two monitors:

Dell U2312HM - IPS Panel - R$698,00 (US$349.00)

and

Dell S2330MX - TN Panel - R$598,00 (US$299.00)

So, is a IPS panel really worth the extra bucks? It'll be used for games, web surfing and office aplications.

edit: sorry if this was already answered, but Search is off due to E3 and I have till Thursday to decide.

yes, TN panels suck. Unless your looking for a fast true 120hz TN panel for playing competitive multiplayer shooters then always IPS>TN

Smokey

Thanks for the compliments!

One thing I noticed, I switched my top to intake, and the rear/front to exhaust, which dropped the temps pretty significantly. Basically, imagine you have two 680s on that PCB. One is pointed towards the back of your case, one towards the front. That stuff towards the front just gets shot right back at it with front intake.

Made note of this when I put the card in the case. It was longer than I thought, and your thought is what came to my mind.

So what about the FT02? Air would still come out into the case and into the middle fan in the case, but everything else would be exhaust. Compared to when I had the Lightnings in there, this seems like (in theory) it would work much better?

Ty4on

Made note of this when I put the card in the case. It was longer than I thought, and your thought is what came to my mind.

So what about the FT02? Air would still come out into the case and into the middle fan in the case, but everything else would be exhaust. Compared to when I had the Lightnings in there, this seems like (in theory) it would work much better?

The negative pressure would make it harder for the 690 to exhaust air up the top and besides, isn't the FT02 great for SLI?

mkenyon

Banned

The issue with the LE's was the heatpipe design.

20151109203l.JPG

Its that the heat gets trapped on the left hand side, which is oriented upwards. The 690 doesn't use a heatpipe design, and has GPU's oriented in different areas. I dont think it would be worse than your current case, due to exhausting air right at the intake, but it wouldn't be any worse either.

mhayze

Don't know how Diablo will run on that. At the very least, you could get a power supply and try it out to see how it works. That one that you have will not be sufficient.

Otherwise, the "standard" build should get what you're aiming for.
*EDIT #2*
Some case porn from computex:

FT04

zYWsdl.jpg

That last one may have to become mine.

Quite intrigued. I really like the FT02, and I am about to embark on an FT03 build for a family member. At first glance the FT04 does not look quite as elegant as either the 02 or 03, but I'll have to wait for more pictures. The sideways design is really amazing for a lot of things. My big questions are.. how big is it? The FT02 is way larger in person than I thought it would be, and is it as plasticky as it looks?

mkenyon

Banned
The FT02 had a ton of wasted space. It fit mid tower components in the dimensions of a full tower. Since the FT04 is reverse mounted (180 degrees vs. 90 degree rotation in the FT02), it'll be a bit smaller, just at first glance.

Ultimately though, this looks to support a ton of watercooling components, which is what has me excited. I really like the curved aluminum front panel. Simple and elegant without being as 'boring' as typical lian li/silverstone square box design.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, need some help. Figure I'll ask here for now.

Don't ask how, but about 3 ounces of a protein shake fell into my computer tower. Vid card covered. Mobo seems to have avoided 95% but not all. Computer was on. As soon as the shake hit the innards, the monitors went off but the PC was still on. Obviously I quickly yanked the power from the wall. I took the vid card out and wiped away the gunk. I let things sit/dry for about 2 days. Now, I tried to turn it on, but when I hit the power button, it'll power up for only a split second before turn off. Just a blip of power.

Any ideas? I'm just starting my researching w/r/t the problem, but I figure I'll ask here. I figure my mobo would be dead, but the blip of power has me thinking it could possible be the power supply? I dunno, I don't think anything touched it. Might just buy a new mobo. Still PRAYING TO DEAR JESUS that my vid card survived, but it took the brunt of the protein attack :\

mkenyon

Banned
Only way to figure out is lots of troubleshooting and swapping of parts. Thats like 90% of figuring out computer issues, no real way to talk through it.

BigBoss

So I'm about to buy a new pc and I need GAF's advice on whether this is a good build.

NZXT Tempest EVO Gaming Case - Black
Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i5-3570K
8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB
ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0
650 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

_Isaac

So I have my computer built. Windows 7 installed. Drivers installed. Antivirus installed. System image created. I have a question regarding using ssd and hdds. What should I save on the ssd and the hdd? I currently have Windows 7 installed on SSD. Should I put programs on my SSD and everything else on the HDD?

Undecided post here. I'm trying to decide whether or not its worth it to buy an entirely new computer since my mobo can't handle Ivy bridge.

Current system specs;
i7-920, 6gigs, 5850ATI

If I buy a new system;
I7-3930x, 32gigs, 680GTX (if I can find it).

If I laterally upgrade;
i7-920, 8 gigs, 560TI.

Budget isn't the issue, its just whether the per dollar value of the new system is worth the relatively low amount of money for the lateral upgrade.

Important note: I run games on a TV monitor with a native resolution of 1080p that cannot go higher even if I gypsy HDMI.

knitoe

So I have my computer built. Windows 7 installed. Drivers installed. Antivirus installed. System image created. I have a question regarding using ssd and hdds. What should I save on the ssd and the hdd? I currently have Windows 7 installed on SSD. Should I put programs on my SSD and everything else on the HDD?

You want to put your most use programs, like internet browser, on the SSD. The more space your SSD has the more you can put on it. Generally, it's a good idea to leave about 10-15% of the space free so your SSD can do it's garbage collection routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom