• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks as always! What about the little Speaker thing that plugged in to my LED plug? Short little black cylinder. Just let that dangle too?

Ceebs

Thanks as always! What about the little Speaker thing that plugged in to my LED plug? Short little black cylinder. Just let that dangle too?

There should be speaker pins where your power button and Reset connect. If you don't want startup beeps just let it dangle though.

Garou

mkenyon and larvi, thanks for your replies. I think I'll get the cheaper model and Windows 7 Pro. Then a week's wait and my first plunge into Steam!

I am quite sure you don't need Win 7 Pro, because the rule of thumb is: If you need to ask what it is, it is not for you.

Go with Home Premium instead.

Yep. Front panel audio connectors are the worst invention ever. I have no idea why they are standard.

I have never been able to get the onboard audio on my mobo to work on the PC I built 3 or 4 months ago. From looking online it's a problem other people have had with this board as well and some people said it only worked if they had the front panel audio connected. My old and busted case doesn't have them anymore so I've had to go with an old soundcard with a broken mic connection. : (

The cable coming out my Corsair PSU TX650m with the 4 plugs that each have 4 round female holes...what are these for? Don't see anything that these fit for.

Also, the USB cable from the front panel seems to barely fit on any of the USB plugs on the board.

Rufus

Yep. Front panel audio connectors are the worst invention ever. I have no idea why they are standard.
I use my headphones a lot and it's easier to plug them in there than it is to reach behind the tower. I get interference of course, but I need to use it, so...

You've got to be f-ing kidding me. The wi-fi adapter must be installed before the motherboard is installed?!?! I have basically everything installed but this.

First post from my new machine! Now if I only can find my nvidia control panel and get my resolution up to native 2560x1440 instead of 1600x1200 I'll be alright. Go easy on me, I've been a Mac guy my whole life.

Downloading my GTX 670 drivers now.

Kabuto

Can you pc pros give a top 5 list of games that need to be played? So far I think I'm going to get Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and double dipping Battlefield 3 again after having the Xbox version.

Sethos

Banned
Can you pc pros give a top 5 list of games that needs to be played? So far I think I'm going to get Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and double dipping Battlefield 3 again after having the Xbox version.

Company of Heroes + OF needs to be on that list for sure. Then possibly the Modern Combat + Eastern Front mods for it.

Best RTS in history.

daviyoung

Banned
Can you pc pros give a top 5 list of games that needs to be played? So far I think I'm going to get Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and double dipping Battlefield 3 again after having the Xbox version.

Vampire: The Masquerade with hi res texture mod
GTA IV with Icenhancer mod
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete 2009 mod
Deus Ex with New Vision mod
Skyrim with hi res texture pack
Crysis 2 with hi res texture pack

Feel free to laugh at me, but why I can't make my Chrome window bigger? It's about 60% of the screen right now.

Huh?

Vampire: The Masquerade with hi res texture mod
GTA IV with Icenhancer mod
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete 2009 mod
Deus Ex with New Vision mod
Skyrim with hi res texture pack
Crysis 2 with hi res texture pack

Huh?

I'm dragging by the corners and edges and I can't make it any bigger than about 60% of the screen. Even the maximize button just pops it to the top.

I have a question. I bought my first ssd a few days ago. It's a Samsung 830 256gb. I made a new Windows 7 installation on it. I ran a few benchmarks and everything seems to be fine except my 4k read. It's around 16. I'm using Sata 2. Is this normal or is should I be concerned?

mkenyon

Banned
Can you pc pros give a top 5 list of games that need to be played? So far I think I'm going to get Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, and double dipping Battlefield 3 again after having the Xbox version.
If you like FPS, Tribes: Ascend > All.

Lists above are good, though I'd suggest Civ V as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have a question. I bought my first ssd a few days ago. It's a Samsung 830 256gb. I made a new Windows 7 installation on it. I ran a few benchmarks and everything seems to be fine except my 4k read. It's around 16. I'm using Sata 2. Is this normal or is should I be concerned?
Close enough it should be ok. Think it should be a tad higher.
What bench settings are you using?

Salacious Crumb

Just finished a massive upgrade.

Case: Antec 1200 to Silverstone FT02 (Black no window) Fans were starting to go in the 1200 and it had scratches all over the perspex that made it look awful.

PSU: Antec CP-850 to Corsair AX750. Lesson learned: Never buy proprietary shit.

GPU: HD6970 to GTX 670 EVGA FTW. My 6970 blew up, the event that sparked off this whole upgrade.

Added a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, and a 2TB WD green HDD, bringing total space up to ~6.5TB

The best thing about this whole upgrade is that it fixed the weird colour issue I was having with my U2711. No matter what settings I changed the colours were always way off using my 6970, to the point where blonde hair looked pink, now the colours look perfect and I can enjoy watching parks and rec on my PC again :)

Tweedy

I'm looking to build my own pc some time this summer, I've worked in IT support for 3 years so I'd like to imagine I know what I'm doing. I'm just not up to speed on what CPU/GPU's are best or worth the price. It's for decent gaming.

So basically what I want to know is:

I5 3570k or i7 3770k? Also what does the k mean? I can save myself around £70 if I go for the i5 and use that on a better graphics card.

I've been looking at a gtx 560ti is this a decent card? Im on my phone at the mo so can't really get on any benchmarking sites, will it struggle on stuff?
If not I've read here that the gtx670 is a good card, is it worth the extra £100? Budget reasons is why I wasn't just gunna buy this card, but may have to get it if it's not worth bothering with the 560

Thanks I appreciate the advice :)

Moppet13

I'm looking to build my own pc some time this summer, I've worked in IT support for 3 years so I'd like to imagine I know what I'm doing. I'm just not up to speed on what CPU/GPU's are best or worth the price. It's for decent gaming.

So basically what I want to know is:

I5 3570k or i7 3770k? Also what does the k mean? I can save myself around £70 if I go for the i5 and use that on a better graphics card.

I've been looking at a gtx 560ti is this a decent card? Im on my phone at the mo so can't really get on any benchmarking sites, will it struggle on stuff?
If not I've read here that the gtx670 is a good card, is it worth the extra £100? Budget reasons is why I wasn't just gunna buy this card, but may have to get it if it's not worth bothering with the 560

Thanks I appreciate the advice :)
Are you only using it for gaming? If that's all you're concerned about you wont notice a difference between the two really. So i5 3570k for gaming.

As far as graphics cards go, your call. The 560ti will be able to play most everything just not at max settings all the time. I guess it really depends on what games you're looking for.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=598 Edit: Oh right no benchmarks. Pretty much the 670 is a pretty decent step up for 100 more.

Tweedy

Are you only using it for gaming? If that's all you're concerned about you wont notice a difference between the two really. So i5 3570k for gaming.

As far as graphics cards go, your call. The 560ti will be able to play most everything just not at max settings all the time. I guess it really depends on what games you're looking for.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=598 Edit: Oh right no benchmarks. Pretty much the 670 is a pretty decent step up for 100 more.

Thanks, if I drop the i7 and get the i5, and the 670 it takes me to ~£825 for my build (that's just compiling a list/basket from ebuyer, now will shop around)

Thanks for your help!

Acosta

Guys, fast question. My secondary PC was starting to have problems related to power supply (hot weather, not the best electric system in the world, pretty usual for me). I have decided to act before the thing goes down, and I'm thinking about the possibility to upgrading the GPU for keeping it a bit more decent for more recent gaming.

It has a Core duo (2,6 Ghz), 4 Gb of RAM (old system) and a 5850. Will it be worth to upgrade to a 6850 or the CPU is too much a bottle neck?

Moppet13

Guys, fast question. My secondary PC was starting to have problems related to power supply (hot weather, not the best electric system in the world, pretty usual for me). I have decided to act before the thing goes down, and I'm thinking about the possibility to upgrading the GPU for keeping it a bit more decent for more recent gaming.

It has a Core duo (2,6 Ghz), 4 Gb of RAM (old system) and a 5850. Will it be worth to upgrade to a 6850 or the CPU is too much a bottle neck?

The 5850 and the 6850 are hardly any different.

That's probably if you have quality sound card/headphones, if you only get cheapo headphones like me, then there's no difference in the sound between the two ports.

Thinking about putting together a new pc for gaming and emulation. i5 or i7?

And does anyone have an opinion on the MSI Twin Frozr 670?

Hi guys,

I need some help:

I have the following specs:

CPU: I7 920
Mainboard: msi x58 pro-e (MS-7522)

I want to buy new RAM (currently have DDR3@533MHz) but I can't find a limit for the mainboard. Some sites say it's 1033, other say it's 1333.
What RAM can I build onto that motherboard without overclocking/tweaking anything?

Thanks!

TP17

Going to be building my first ever PC, will be used for gaming and general use. Have put together the following and would appreciate some feedback to make sure it looks alright before I go ahead and order:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor (£180)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard (£92)
GPU: PowerColor HD 7850 V2 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card (£191)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered (£41)
Storage: Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM (£89)
Case & Power Supply: Coolermaster Silencio 550 with GX 550W PSU (£103)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black (£12)

*Prices from eBuyer.

Also a couple of questions, would you recommend a cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO from the 1st post?
Will I need to buy a separate wireless card?

MrBig

I've been having an issue that is incredibly annoying. I have a TV that I use in addition to my two main monitors; my primary (DVI) is on my 670, my secondary (not an issue) in on the igpu, and the TV (HDMI) is on the 670. When I connect the TV (via the windows CP, not hard connection, I disable and enable from there) it is identified as #1. Now I wouldn't care about the identification if it didn't screw up everything I have on screen and force it to monitor #1 as it switches the TV to the # from the primary after it is enabled. I have been unable to find anything in the windows cp, nvidia cp, and all the threads I can find on this issue are filled with people simply recommending telling windows to set the primary monitor identification instead of the number ident. I have no idea what to do and it's driving me insane. Is it hardware related with port ident on the 670? Advice?

Progmetal

I just built a PC using the enthusiast as a guide in the OP. Everything worked fine, and considering it's my first build ever i really have to thank you OP for a great thread and guide. :D

One question though. Is it normal after tightening the Hyper 212 cpu cooler, i can still move it a little only when i twist it. It's not loose, but it's only moving if i twist it with just a liitle force, not much. Is this normal?

The cpu temp is quite fine under idle, just around 30 degrees celsius. Around 40 degrees after som Team Fortress.

satori

The cpu temp is quite fine under idle, just around 30 degrees celsius. Around 40 degrees after som Team Fortress.

Your temps seems just fine. I think you are just fine. Don't tighten it too much since you can actually crack the mother board depending on the mount used. Your temp is the most telling sign if the heat sink is installed correctly. And yes when I twist mine, it moves just a tiny bit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys,

I need some help:

I have the following specs:

CPU: I7 920
Mainboard: msi x58 pro-e (MS-7522)

I want to buy new RAM (currently have DDR3@533MHz) but I can't find a limit for the mainboard. Some sites say it's 1033, other say it's 1333.
What RAM can I build onto that motherboard without overclocking/tweaking anything?

Thanks!
Just nab a 2x4GB 1333 Kit. You could probably even put 1600 in there and it would downclock to 1333, but sometimes it won't. 1600 probably was not 'supported' as a standard when that board was released (1600 was OC spec) which is why a lot of boards say they only support 1333, when they can do 1866 or higher.
Going to be building my first ever PC, will be used for gaming and general use. Have put together the following and would appreciate some feedback to make sure it looks alright before I go ahead and order:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor (£180)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard (£92)
GPU: PowerColor HD 7850 V2 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card (£191)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered (£41)
Storage: Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM (£89)
Case & Power Supply: Coolermaster Silencio 550 with GX 550W PSU (£103)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black (£12)

*Prices from eBuyer.

Also a couple of questions, would you recommend a cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO from the 1st post?
Will I need to buy a separate wireless card?

Yes to 212 and wifi.

I'd look at other boards in the OP, the LX is poor value on its offerings. I don't think the LK is sold where you are.
I'd also look at getting a $50 case and $60 PSU if possible, but that combo could be a lot worse. If you like the case that's fine.
I just built a PC using the enthusiast as a guide in the OP. Everything worked fine, and considering it's my first build ever i really have to thank you OP for a great thread and guide. :D

One question though. Is it normal after tightening the Hyper 212 cpu cooler, i can still move it a little only when i twist it. It's not loose, but it's only moving if i twist it with just a liitle force, not much. Is this normal?

Normal. What you want to test are load temps using the utilities in the OP.

Well I think everything's all good with my first build and the Crossover is just beautiful. Played Portal 2 with everything maxed for about an hour and was seeing temps about 50 degrees. Fraps indicated 60 FPS pretty much the whole time and never above which I thought was odd. Does it lock at 60? Currently downloading the Arkham City and Starcraft 2 demos. Any of the big FPS have demos?

mxgt

Banned
Well I think everything's all good with my first build and the Crossover is just beautiful. Played Portal 2 with everything maxed for about an hour and was seeing temps about 50 degrees. Fraps indicated 60 FPS pretty much the whole time and never above which I thought was odd. Does it lock at 60? Currently downloading the Arkham City and Starcraft 2 demos. Any of the big FPS have demos?

If you have vsync enabled it'll only ever display a max of 60 if you have a 60hz monitor.

Ceebs

You got a 670 right? You should be able to play Portal 2 with supersampling on at your native res too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom