• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jburton

Banned
4 is plenty, just dont have a ton of chrome tabs open when playing games. 8 is still pretty much overkill, but is so cheap that it has become standard.

Thanks for the advice.

Is the 670 better by a significant margin than the 7870 in real world terms?

Also for any 670 owners out there, 630w 80 plus PSU good enough to run it and a i5-2500k on an overclock?

mkenyon

Banned
It's a significant difference. 635W is plenty, but you want to make sure it has enough amps on the 12V rail. What PSU in specific?

kharma45

ok guys I am in a bit of a muddle ....... my budget allows for either a i5-2500k, 8gig 1600mhz, 7870

or

i5-2500k, 4gig 1600mhz, 670.

I can buy another stick in another month or two but will the 4gig system ram really strangle performance until that point and is the 670 worth getting over the 7870?

A bit of advice please, I am going around in circles in my head.

If it were me I'd get the 670 build, I've never had a problem with 4GB of RAM, plus it's a cheap-ish upgrade if you want to get more down the line if you need it.

Just trying to find the right balance of heat and performance from my 3570k. At a 4ghz OC I'm getting a maximum of 69 degrees at full load, is that alright?

surly

Banned
Oh man, this Noctua NH-D14 is massive! I knew it was going to be a beast but holy hell it is a hefty fucker. Well, it is supposed to be very quite with great cooling. Can't wait to install it tonight.
I got the 2011 version of that with the PWM fans. It's a great cooler and so quiet!

It is an absolute monster though. I managed to get it into a Silverstone TJ08-E mATX case and there was just enough room to get a graphics card in the 8x slot. The good thing about that case is that it has an adjustable little platform thing that you can position and lock in place to add some extra support to the cooler, so it puts less stress on the board.

mkenyon

Banned
Remember folks - the Noctua heatsink is good because of the fans attached to it. Things have changed a lot since it was released and there are a ton of good options out there that perform on par and better than it without the massive size. NZXT Havik 140 and Coolermaster TPC 812 come to mind.

*edit*

Also, if you have something like a Hyper 212, you can upgrade it with some better fans and get dramatically different temperatures. Static pressure > everything when you're talking about heatsinks and radiators. Most of the fans that are sold alongside these coolers really aren't designed all that well for them. Noctua NF-F12s, Scythe GT's, Bitfenix Spectre Pros, and even Yate Loons are great choices if you want a bit more out of your current 120mm heatsink.

Jburton

Banned
Ok guys thanks for the advice, I am going with the i5-2500k, 4gig 1600mhz, gtx 670 build.

Will bump up the ram in a month or two.

Will put up pics.

Tau

Hey guys, this is my first PC build and I've put together my spec. I'd appreciate if someone could have a look at it to see if all the parts are compatible (although I've read the Op's tips etc) but I rather get it double checked from you guys!

xAjK3.jpg

Tell me if I should change a few things etc (personal recommendations), thanks guys!

Tell me if I should change a few things etc (personal recommendations), thanks guys!

I'm only new at this stuff myself, but look at getting the K CPU if you are going to overclock (and with a rig like that there is no reason not to). Any reason why you want with the i7 instead of the i5? Others will be able to help further.

Khatoz

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting in this thread, been thinking of doing a build with this:

Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Intel Core i7 3770K Processor 3.5 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

BitFenix Shinobi XL Window Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed if you guys think there's something that can be more efficient at the same or close price point.

The only thing I haven't settled for sure is the case, prefer the Fractal Design look, but it seems like the Shinobi XL seems easier to setup the innards.

For the power supply I'll be using a Corsair HX850 from my current PC.

What do you guys think?

MrBig

Hey guys, this is my first PC build and I've put together my spec. I'd appreciate if someone could have a look at it to see if all the parts are compatible (although I've read the Op's tips etc) but I rather get it double checked from you guys!

http://i.imgur.com/xAjK3.jpg[IMG]

Tell me if I should change a few things etc (personal recommendations), thanks guys![/QUOTE]

It'll all work together. What is this going to be used for? If for gaming you won't even run close to using up 8gb of RAM. 3770(k) has no advantage for nearly all games over the 3570k/2500k. And, as said go for the k model and get an aftermarket heatsink for good increase in perf from an OC. Do not buy the OCZ SSD; get an M4/830/Intel/Corsair with proven reliability.

Tau

I'm only new at this stuff myself, but look at getting the K CPU if you are going to overclock (and with a rig like that there is no reason not to). Any reason why you want with the i7 instead of the i5? Others will be able to help further.

Ah yes you highlight a good point, will look for a K CPU. The only reason I put down an i7 is predominantly for better performance (I tend to multi-task with a few media applications) and don't want it to run slow and I guess I will be using it for high-end gaming.

Tau

It'll all work together. What is this going to be used for? If for gaming you won't even run close to using up 8gb of RAM. 3770(k) has no advantage for nearly all games over the 3570k/2500k. And, as said go for the k model and get an aftermarket heatsink for good increase in perf from an OC. Do not buy the OCZ SSD; get an M4/830/Intel/Corsair with proven reliability.

thanks for checking that my spec is compatible. I'm mainly going to use it for media work and High-end gaming. By the sounds of it I'm better off with an i5 K CPU, which I guess will save me money as well. Which aftermarket heatsink would you recommend? Are OCZ SSD's just unreliable? Will look into your SSD recommendations. Appreciate your advice.

Is that pic from 2005? Why are you still using xp?
Pic was taken while I was at work. That is an RDP session to a Sever 2003 box. Most of the day I have other machine's terminals up on my screen more than my own. I don't even know what my desktop wallpaper is these days.

Edit: I am running Win 7 Pro x64 on my work PC fr the record.

mkenyon

Banned
She's alive!

98% complete. Stress testing right now, and with furmark and prime 95 running, maxing out at 49C @ 4.3 Ghz on the proc, 41C on the 690.

Hdamah.jpg

rfBnCh.jpg

I ordered a couple ram sticks from Newegg choosing Egg Saver shipping. If I paid for it last Monday, July 2nd, when should I expect it to arrive? Also, would it be in my mailbox? I live in Sugar Land, Texas.

MrBig

I ordered a couple ram sticks from Newegg choosing Egg Saver shipping. If I paid for it last Monday, July 2nd, when should I expect it to arrive? Also, would it be in my mailbox? I live in Sugar Land, Texas.

Newegg ships via UPS; you should have received a tracking number from them

Sweet! Up and running on the new rig. Win 7 installed on the SSD, RAID 1 volume ready to go. Tomorrow will be a lot of data transfer from my old HDD's but I will also be receiving my Gigabyte 670 to put the final piece into place.

My god SSD's kick ass. Also that Notcua massive heatsink was incredibly easy to install. Unlike the Hyper 212 Evo who's mounting bracket was designed by inbred monkey's drinking Absinthe. Not very thrilled with my fan profiles via the ASRock software so far. Might have to attach some of the ULNA dongles to my Noctua fans and see if I can't make my rig quieter.

Ceebs

Sweet! Up and running on the new rig. Win 7 installed on the SSD, RAID 1 volume ready to go. Tomorrow will be a lot of data transfer from my old HDD's but I will also be receiving my Gigabyte 670 to put the final piece into place.

My god SSD's kick ass. Also that Notcua massive heatsink was incredibly easy to install. Unlike the Hyper 212 Evo who's mounting bracket was designed by inbred monkey's drinking Absinthe. Not very thrilled with my fan profiles via the ASRock software so far. Might have to attach some of the ULNA dongles to my Noctua fans and see if I can't make my rig quieter.

Case fans or the Noctua fans?

Smokey

Question about driving 2 monitors with my 690.

I am typing this on my secondary monitor while BF3 is running on the U3011. Whenever I click on this secondary monitor to do whatever, it takes BF3 out of full screen mode and runs it in a window. I have to click back on the window screen for it to return to full size. Is this normal?

At least now I am able to use the "Maximize 3D performance" while using both monitors. I had them plugged in wrong up until now. So I got it working except for the "issue" above...which I'm not sure if it's an "issue" or just something that comes with driving a monitor for gaming and using a secondary for whatever.

scogoth

Question about driving 2 monitors with my 690.

I am typing this on my secondary monitor while BF3 is running on the U3011. Whenever I click on this secondary monitor to do whatever, it takes BF3 out of full screen mode and runs it in a window. I have to click back on the window screen for it to return to full size. Is this normal?

At least now I am able to use the "Maximize 3D performance" while using both monitors. I had them plugged in wrong up until now. So I got it working except for the "issue" above...which I'm not sure if it's an "issue" or just something that comes with driving a monitor for gaming and using a secondary for whatever.

Yes that is normal behaviour. Some games, like blizzard games, have a fullscreen windowed mode that is a sort of workaround but I dont believe BF3 works well in this mode. The real solution is buy a third monitor and play BF3 on all of them ; )

Smokey

Yes that is normal behaviour. Some games, like blizzard games, have a fullscreen windowed mode that is a sort of workaround but I dont believe BF3 works well in this mode. The real solution is buy a third monitor and play BF3 on all of them ; )

Cool thanks. Had this setup wrong the entire time. Was always disabling the secondary monitor whenever I would game. NVCP would make me do so, but now all seems well after I switched inputs on the card (and adjusted some settings in windows).

PS - 3x U3011 would be pretty badass -- but I don't think I could go that far lol. Not to mention I'd have to get a second 690 to provide the horsepower at such an insane resolution, and they only come with 2GB VRAM. Would not cut it on a earth shattering setup like that.
2x more Asus 120hz monitors would be doable though

I have got a small problem on my new build for some reason when playing a game my game keeps minimizing to the start bar everything 30 seconds or so. I had a little look on the net and it seems that something else is requsting "Focus" and that a major culprit of this is AVG antivirus, however I do not use AVG and I have tried closing all other applications apart from Steam but still get the same problem. the games are not crashing the are just minizing so I can restart them by clicking in the task bar.

If it helps I use Mcafee as my antivirus

Has anyone else had an issue like that?

Hi on top of this issue I have I seem to be having random BSOD when the pc is idling I have checked temps and my temps seem to be sitting at around 40c while idling.

Sometimes the pc will run for 10+ hours without BSOD other times just an hour or so there doesnt appear to be a pattern

All my drivers are up to date

Sethos

Banned
So, received my Noctua F12s and replaced the shitty stock H100 fans. They were, at lowest idling at 41-42* and still making a lot of noise. With these noise level is identical at "Balanced" and now idles at 30-32* instead. Can't believe the difference. Still going to keep it at the lowest setting but right now the main problem is the damn H100 rattle, can't wait for the guy from Overclock to send out my voltage droppers. But at the lowest setting and with the top mesh that also blocks airflow a bit, there's a massive noise reduction and 6-7* temp drop.

kharma45

xAjK3.jpg

You could cut costs, PSU seems a bit overkill.

If you're wanting to overclock you'll need to get a 3770K, and do you really need the i7? An i5 3570K would do for most people.

16GB of RAM also seems like overkill, and you'd be better off with something like a Samsung 830 SSD instead of that Corsair.

Sethos

Banned

Yeah, you can. Under WDDM 1.1 it's possible, just need to google as there might be one or two things that can get in your way - Believe you need to activate the card as a "third" monitor for it to work, plus some drivers might not install under certain circumstances with Nvidia card also in the machine. Can all be a bit fidgety but it's possible.

McHuj

I'm the new owner of a GTX670. Ebay is a dangerous place, I placed a low bid not thinking I would win, and I won. What a surprise. This is my first real high end GPU, I've always placed a $200 dollar limit on myself for GPU's and here I'm spending $350.

Now hopefully, Skyrim appears on the upcoming steam sale and I'm set for the rest of the summer.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
She's alive!

98% complete. Stress testing right now, and with furmark and prime 95 running, maxing out at 49C @ 4.3 Ghz on the proc, 41C on the 690.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/Hdamah.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/rfBnCh.jpg[/IMG]

luHzT.jpg

Now I hate my case even more.

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone in UK knows a good place to sell a pc? I built mine back in November but just haven't put enough time into PC gaming as I had hoped (I put a lot of money into steam sale though lol, which is why I am getting out before summer sale...although my laptop can still run most things! damn). Anyway I don't know if it would be worth selling complete or if I would be better splitting everything up?

Cheers Terry

metalshade

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone in UK knows a good place to sell a pc? I built mine back in November but just haven't put enough time into PC gaming as I had hoped (I put a lot of money into steam sale though lol, which is why I am getting out before summer sale...although my laptop can still run most things! damn). Anyway I don't know if it would be worth selling complete or if I would be better splitting everything up?

Cheers Terry

Need to post the specs dude, otherwise nobody will have a clue.
I myself am in the UK, and I am actually looking to build, so if I can see what you've got, I might be interested in parts or the whole thing, dependent on what you've got/prices.

Hi,

Specs are:

CM Storm Scout Case
Asus GTX560Ti Direct CU II 1gb gddr5
Asus M4A87TD/USB 3 mobo
8gb ddr3 1333 hyperx kingston ram
Corsair gs700w psu
Amd phenom II black edition x4 965 3.4ghz
Samsung 1tb hard drive
Samsung blu ray disc drive
Windows 7 64 bit

Plus I have two silent fans on the side panel which blows onto the mobo, as well as the fans that are already with the case.

Windows rating is 7.4 for processor and ram, 7.8 for graphics and 5.9 for hard drive

Edit - I don't know on price, that is why I was asking on here if anyone knew a place I could get a rough guide.

BearFoo

Neo Member
Hi Guys

First time I've actually posted in this thread. I've been out of the whole PC building game for a while, and since my previous aged Shuttle PC broke a while ago, I've been trying to get myself up to speed with what's important these days. So I'd appreciate any help that people can offer.

I'm interested in building myself a PC (mainly for recent PC gaming, and smallscale 3D game development), built around a mini ATX PC case, (I'm still a fan of smaller discreet PCs). I'm not too keen on pushing the overclocking too much, expect where gains can be easily made and could later extend the life span of the PC.

This is the build I've got so far, with the help of the great OP. I'll be reusing HD, monitor, OS, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£71.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video Card (£275.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: OCZ 650W ATX12V Power Supply (£69.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £689.93

To be honest, the main areas I don't have a good handle on just yet is Motherboard and power supply, and maybe what memory to get. I'm trying to get something that's going be capable to have a good life span with out needing updates, but not too much overkill for what I might need. So if anyone can offer any advice or notice anything that won't be suitable or has a better suggestion, It'll be a great help. Thanks guys.

cametall

So, received my Noctua F12s and replaced the shitty stock H100 fans. They were, at lowest idling at 41-42* and still making a lot of noise. With these noise level is identical at "Balanced" and now idles at 30-32* instead. Can't believe the difference. Still going to keep it at the lowest setting but right now the main problem is the damn H100 rattle, can't wait for the guy from Overclock to send out my voltage droppers. But at the lowest setting and with the top mesh that also blocks airflow a bit, there's a massive noise reduction and 6-7* temp drop.

I have a weird "issue" with my Noctuas and my H60 radiator (push/pull). Whichever Noctua fan is sandwiched between the case and the rad makes a high pitched whine at 900+ rpm. Tried both fans, same whine.

The fan that pulls can run at 1400 rpm and be dead silent though. Right now I have the push at 750rpm and the pull at 1000rpm, which seems to have lowered temps by a bit.

So annoying.

Edit: I don't even hear the buzzing anymore. It is now soothing background noise...

LuchaShaq

Banned
Hope this is an ok place to put this because I'm at a loss.

Trying to find a laptop in the 400$ range just for class/work aka word processing giantbomb and netflix videos, google docs, and web browsing. Not really there for games and not into bloatware.

I built my own desktop thanks to the 09 version of this thread so it doesn't need to play heavy games.

Going through laptop reviews online has sent me spiraling into confusion when I've looked the past few weeks. Any guidance?

Sethos

Banned
I have a weird "issue" with my Noctuas and my H60 radiator (push/pull). Whichever Noctua fan is sandwiched between the case and the rad makes a high pitched whine at 900+ rpm. Tried both fans, same whine.

The fan that pulls can run at 1400 rpm and be dead silent though. Right now I have the push at 750rpm and the pull at 1000rpm, which seems to have lowered temps by a bit.

So annoying.

Hmm, doesn't sound part of the 'official' issue with the rattle - Does the whine come from the H60 itself? But there are issues with these units where they start to act up when giving them more than 12v apparently, so you might be hit as well.

cametall

Hmm, doesn't sound part of the 'official' issue with the rattle - Does the whine come from the H60 itself? But there are issues with these units where they start to act up when giving them more than 12v apparently, so you might be hit as well.

No the whine is the Noctua pull fan. I can only guess the radiator is restricting airflow or something. Any Noctua fan I put there makes the high pitched whine.

The mobo fan controller has taken care of the whine though by setting the push fan to below 800-900 rpm (750 currently).

I've considered just using a pull set up with the rad and putting the push fan somewhere else in the case, but right now my push/pull set up is giving me really good temps so I have been reluctant to change it up. Push 750rpm/Pull 1000rpm.

My H60 does have the buzzing/clicking noise. My PSU puts out 12.1v or something. I have an RMA unit coming in tomorrow, but it's not from the "new" fixed unit pool. So I will probably have to do a 2nd RMA to get one of the corrected units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom