• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

Short and simple;

What wattage would you guys suggest for:

Asus P6T WS Pro
Intel i7 940
6 GBs DDR3 (probably upgrading to 2x 6GB soon)
2/3 internal HDD's
Geforce GTX560Ti
Bunch of Usb peripherals (wacom tablet etc)

I found a decent deal on a cooler master 500w modular psu. I know it's not the best brand out there, but hopefully it's not the worst ? is 500w enough for me, considering i'm never going sli or anything exotic ?

Hi guys, I was directed here as I have some question that maybe y'all can help me with. First of all, I wanted to upgrade my old PC and hopefully turn it into a gaming machine for as little money as possible as I'm not that well financed. It was a store bought one so it was only made to do basic stuff and nothing else. I was wondering, if it would be better to just start upgrading it, or would it be cheaper to just build one from scratch? If specs are needed I can provide them as best as I can as I don't know much about computer tech.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi guys, I was directed here as I have some question that maybe y'all can help me with. First of all, I wanted to upgrade my old PC and hopefully turn it into a gaming machine for as little money as possible as I'm not that well financed. It was a store bought one so it was only made to do basic stuff and nothing else. I was wondering, if it would be better to just start upgrading it, or would it be cheaper to just build one from scratch? If specs are needed I can provide them as best as I can as I don't know much about computer tech.
OP.
Designed for what? I paid lots of money for this case, everything fits nicely in the case. mAtx mobo.
Sounds like the cooling situation is not great. HTPCs and 2500k/6870 systems, while not mutually exclusive, are not generally designed to run the same way. Its loud because you have a tiny fan that needs to push tons of air. Getting a better case with good 120mm options for airflow will fix your issue.

If you are going for a 27" you should really try and see one in person if it's only 1080p. I found the pixels just too big at that size.

I did come across a review that said the same thing. It definitely can't be worse than the resolution I'm looking at right now...

OP.

Sounds like the cooling situation is not great. HTPCs and 2500k/6870 systems, while not mutually exclusive, are not generally designed to run the same way. Its loud because you have a tiny fan that needs to push tons of air. Getting a better case with good 120mm options for airflow will fix your issue.

I'll look into it. The case is big, its horizontal but big. I'll bring it to the pc shop in the coming days and see if they can change the fans.

Sorry about that, Didn't see that part. Like I said, I'm upgrading my current old computer.

CPU:Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard:Don't Know
GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100?
PSU:300W 12v ?(Has to be replaced anyways)
Price:The lowest amount as possible
Use: Gaming, Emulation(depending on price of parts), and general usage.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List of Games: Any current gen Games as I am just starting off
Build Time: Hopefully by the end of this year, but I have no specific deadline

Some of those I don't really know, as I don't know much of computer tech, but it's a store bought computer though.

MrBig

Sorry about that, Didn't see that part. Like I said, I'm upgrading my current old computer.

Some of those I don't really know, as I don't know much of computer tech, but it's a store bought computer though.

There's really nothing you can do beyond getting a GPU, which is something you can use now but that can be put in a new build whenever you do one. C2D is really limiting, as is the PSU.

mkenyon

Banned
I'll look into it. The case is big, its horizontal but big. I'll bring it to the pc shop in the coming days and see if they can change the fans.
You can just buy ones and screw them in. It's probably the easiest thing to do in a computer.

Save up for a new computer.

There's really nothing you can do beyond getting a GPU, which is something you can use now but that can be put in a new build whenever you do one. C2D is really limiting, as is the PSU.

I was thinking of just buying a new GPU and then adding to it as I went along if I needed to.

You can just buy ones and screw them in. It's probably the easiest thing to do in a computer.

Save up for a new computer.
That bad huh?

MrBig

I was thinking of just buying a new GPU and then adding to it as I went along if I needed to.

That bad huh?

There's nothing you can do besides get the GPU, your platform is dead. I recommended the GPU because it is something you can use now, but you will need to replace everything to get a smooth experience.

clav

Yeah I guess it's time to look for a new graphics card.

gAzj5.png

Fan died. Maybe I'll find a third party heatsink on sale and keep this card for a backup.

Any recommendations as to what GPU I can use?

You should be good with just about anything as long as you get a 400-500w powersupply to go with it (this can be had for as little as $35 like this Antec 450w)

As for videocards depends on what your price range is but there are some pretty good bang for your buck cards in the $140-$180 range.

For the PC you have, others are right, not much you can do with it. However, you can reuse the case, mouse, keyboard, monitor, so it's not a complete loss. Definitely need a new motherboard, processor and RAM though.

Have a budget of $900 and while pretty much not knowing alot about building computers compatibility is this build the best bang for the buck?

Tank

Neo Member
Can somebody help me with a good build for my Dell u3011?

Ill give it a $2k budget.

Primary uses: Gaming 2560 x 1600 while recording with fraps. CS6. Emulators. Dolphin.

Arken2121

Hey guys, having a small problem. I am trying to do the paperclip test on my psu to clean out my radiator but whenever I try to turn on the psu, it turns on for a split second then turns off. Any idea what this is?

MrBig

Primary uses: Gaming 2560 x 1600 while recording with fraps. CS6. Emulators. Dolphin.

That's a lot of money to play with, you'd be better off giving specifics of what you're going to be doing with it. You could go with the LGA 2011 Extravgent build in the op, chop off the soundcard, BR drive, GPU a GTX 670, 1600mhz 16gb ram kit, and a 128gb SSD for around $2k. Or you can go with a LGA 1155 build and have a lot more room to play with extras that would need to be chopped from an LGA 2011 build.
Mkenyon and crew will brief you on LGA 2011 I'm sure.

Ceebs

That's a lot of money to play with, you'd be better off giving specifics of what you're going to be doing with it. You could go with the LGA 2011 Extravgent build in the op, chop off the soundcard, BR drive, GPU a GTX 670, 1600mhz 16gb ram kit, and a 128gb SSD for around $2k. Or you can go with a LGA 1155 build and have a lot more room to play with extras that would need to be chopped from an LGA 2011 build.

He may want to go with 2X670s if he has that sort of budget and cares about 60FPS at that res. Kinda disappointed with my framerate in The Witcher 2 @ 2560X1440 with only one of them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I'd go with the 3770K LGA1155 build (Enthusiast), xFire or SLI 7950's or 670's, toss in an SSD.
3GB VRAM might help out later.
With so many heatsinks hitting RAM and for the same price I'd get low profile sticks.
Super minimal differences between having a taller heatspreader or not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...06650&isNodeId=1&Description=ares+8GB&x=0&y=0

MrBig

He may want to go with 2X670s if he has that sort of budget and cares about 60FPS at that res. Kinda disappointed with my framerate in The Witcher 2 @ 2560X1440 with only one of them.

Yep, but that's why I said give specifics. If he's just doing design work and emulation, not a bunch of high end gaming he may benefit more from 2011 than gaming oriented luxuries.

Tank

Neo Member
Yep, but that's why I said give specifics. If he's just doing design work and emulation, not a bunch of high end gaming he may benefit more from 2011 than gaming oriented luxuries.

I am intending to game at 2560 x 1600 while recording with fraps, and I desire high settings (if not max) on games like TW2, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim. I want to have the graphic muscle to tinker with texture mods and such. The only other intensive thing I am doing is CS6, so I would assume a LGA 1155 board would be best.

Edit: Does SLI/Crossfire still give headaches with stuttering and stuff?

I also prefer Nvidia.

RkOwnage

What up Gaf!

Finally got my new card in my PC, it's the first one I've built and I am really happy with it.

CPU: Intel i7 960
Mobo: Gigabyte X58-USB3
GPU: EVGA 670
RAM: 8gb
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD

Loving it right now, my only question is, are there any killer Network adapters out there worth getting? I have heard the stock one on my mobo is not as good as a dedicated card. Any recommendations?

Also, the HDD is my main lacking feature of this PC besides a possible network adapter, but I haven't considered a SSD yet, because I have most of my programs installed and with 3DS max and Maya, transferring them is a pain in the ass, so I haven't really considered a HDD unless I can copy everything over effortlessly. We'll see.

You should be good with just about anything as long as you get a 400-500w powersupply to go with it (this can be had for as little as $35 like this Antec 450w)

As for videocards depends on what your price range is but there are some pretty good bang for your buck cards in the $140-$180 range.

For the PC you have, others are right, not much you can do with it. However, you can reuse the case, mouse, keyboard, monitor, so it's not a complete loss. Definitely need a new motherboard, processor and RAM though.

I was wondering if I could use this for the time being http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.997994

Yeah, after rebate that isnt a terrible deal. In the future you may want something a bit better than the 1gb 550 ti, though. For about $30 more you can get a 6870 or the 560 which are considerably more powerful. That 550ti card will probably handle medium specs on most games with a good cpu, though.

Like this Radeon 6870 for $159 ($149 after rebate) or this Geforce 560 for $149 after rebate. They are similar in performance and both are good bang for the buck. Note a regular 560 is significantly more powerful than the 550ti. Avoid the 560SE though. It is worse.

Handy reference chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

mkenyon

Banned
I am intending to game at 2560 x 1600 while recording with fraps, and I desire high settings (if not max) on games like TW2, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim. I want to have the graphic muscle to tinker with texture mods and such. The only other intensive thing I am doing is CS6, so I would assume a LGA 1155 board would be best.

Edit: Does SLI/Crossfire still give headaches with stuttering and stuff?

I also prefer Nvidia.
Recording and not streaming?

Either way, first you need to look into Dxtory for a much much better recording program. Then, you will want at least 2 HDD's in RAID0 just for recording. SSD will be for OS/applications/games. If recording is an absolute must for the build, start with that and work up from there.

Yeah, after rebate that isnt a terrible deal. In the future you may want something a bit better than the 1gb 550 ti, though. For about $30 more you can get a 6870 or the 560 which are considerably more powerful. That 550ti card will probably handle medium specs on most games with a good cpu, though.

Like this Radeon 6870 for $159 ($149 after rebate) or this Geforce 560 for $149 after rebate. They are similar in performance and both are good bang for the buck. Note a regular 560 is significantly more powerful than the 550ti. Avoid the 560SE though. It is worse.

Handy reference chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Thanks for the chart as I have no idea on what's a good one to have and what's bad.

Tau

I'm about to purchase my parts, however I want your last-minute advice on the whole set-up.

b6UJe.jpg

I've taken the advice on board and reduced the following bits and pieces;

RAM: 8GB (was 16GB)
PSU: 750W (was 850W)
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB (was Corsair Memory 120GB)

I'm saving about £100 from previous set up.

Also looking at Heat-sink for the CPU, any recommendations??

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm about to purchase my parts, however I want your last-minute advice on the whole set-up.

b6UJe.jpg

I've taken the advice on board and reduced the following bits and pieces;

RAM: 8GB (was 16GB)
PSU: 750W (was 850W)
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB (was Corsair Memory 120GB)

I'm saving about £100 from previous set up.

Also looking at Heat-sink for the CPU, any recommendations??
Do you really need such an expensive board? The SABERTOOTH is great, but not sure you need all of that (Almost no one does). I'd rec the Gene V for a bit less. You could easily go one step under that as well though.
Also a modular PSU is nice to have, but not needed.
Any 1.5V 1600Mhz RAM should save you $15.

Cooler, CM 212+ or EVO. Any rifle type cooler for 30 pounds will do fine EXCEPT the N520 and TX3.

Just minor value things, the build you have is good.
Really? Do I have to screw with BIOS settings?
Nope.

Hi on top of this issue I have I seem to be having random BSOD when the pc is idling I have checked temps and my temps seem to be sitting at around 40c while idling.

Sometimes the pc will run for 10+ hours without BSOD other times just an hour or so there doesnt appear to be a pattern

All my drivers are up to date

Oh dear I am beginning to regret going down the build it root. After getting the faulty power supply replaced I eventually got my system together and then hit this random BSOD issue and some very strange temperature readings.

I ascertained that one of the memory sticks is faulty thanks to memtest86 but I am not sure if this explains my weird temperature readings. My processor (i5 3570k) seems to idle at around 35-40c but under load it jumps quickly upto around 90c. The strange thing is that all the fans even the processor fan seems to be blowing out room teemperature air (i.e not warm at all) and this happens with our without the case being shut.

I have - Bitfenix Merc case, 8gb corsair vengeance ram, 560ti GC, 2 HDDs, Gigabyte z77 d3h motherboard and a DVD/RW drive, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 processor fan.

Any help or pointers would be most welcome as I am at a total loss.

Thanks

Smokey

Oh dear I am beginning to regret going down the build it root. After getting the faulty power supply replaced I eventually got my system together and then hit this random BSOD issue and some very strange temperature readings.

I ascertained that one of the memory sticks is faulty thanks to memtest86 but I am not sure if this explains my weird temperature readings. My processor (i5 3570k) seems to idle at around 35-40c but under load it jumps quickly upto around 90c. The strange thing is that all the fans even the processor fan seems to be blowing out room teemperature air (i.e not warm at all) and this happens with our without the case being shut.

I have - Bitfenix Merc case, 8gb corsair vengeance ram, 560ti GC, 2 HDDs, Gigabyte z77 d3h motherboard and a DVD/RW drive, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 processor fan.

Any help or pointers would be most welcome as I am at a total loss.

Thanks

Is that 90c with an overclock? ivy bridge cpus (3570k, 3770k etc) run hotter than their sandy bridge siblings (2500k, 2600k etc).

Could check that your fan is seated properly on your cpu, but as i mentioned ivy bridge does run a bit hotter when overclocked. Now if you're getting those temps at stock clocks, that's an issue..

mkenyon

Banned
Sounds like you have hit your thermal wall with your processor in the over locking end or your heat sink isn't seated properly.

Dear god, never ever change the default install location for Program Files. I figured it would be easy to change eac program that I wanted on C:\ , my SSD, and then let all the non important stuff install on the HDD, D:\. What a clusterfuck. When you try to undo stuff like this you realize how tangled windows registries are. You can uninstall shit all you want but some little thread in there will keep pointing things back to some old location. Even my installers for programs were pointing back to D: even with the install location saying C: right in the install dialog box! Crazy shit. Almost done fixing it.

TL;DR Never edit your registry to change the default Program Files folder location

Dear god, never ever change the default install location for Program Files. I figured it would be easy to change eac program that I wanted on C:\ , my SSD, and then let all the non important stuff install on the HDD, D:\. What a clusterfuck. When you try to undo stuff like this you realize how tangled windows registries are. You can uninstall shit all you want but some little thread in there will keep pointing things back to some old location. Even my installers for programs were pointing back to D: even with the install location saying C: right in the install dialog box! Crazy shit. Almost done fixing it.

TL;DR Never edit your registry to change the default Program Files folder location

This worries me. I'm running off the SSD right now and will be hooking up the HDD this evening. I thought it would be as easy as saying "install to D:\".

I went ahead and sprung for the 27" monitor. The resolution will work fine for me. My 32" tv is now for sale lol. Also ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler. I should be fully up and running by this weekend!

Tau

Do you really need such an expensive board? The SABERTOOTH is great, but not sure you need all of that (Almost no one does). I'd rec the Gene V for a bit less. You could easily go one step under that as well though.
Also a modular PSU is nice to have, but not needed.
Any 1.5V 1600Mhz RAM should save you $15.

Cooler, CM 212+ or EVO. Any rifle type cooler for 30 pounds will do fine EXCEPT the N520 and TX3.

Just minor value things, the build you have is good.

Cheers for the input and went with the CM 212, purchase is done! all parts will arrive tomorrow, excited!

This worries me. I'm running off the SSD right now and will be hooking up the HDD this evening. I thought it would be as easy as saying "install to D:\".

I went ahead and sprung for the 27" monitor. The resolution will work fine for me. My 32" tv is now for sale lol. Also ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler. I should be fully up and running by this weekend!

You will be fine. Leave things as they are and when you are installing an application you want to go to D:\ just change the folder location in the installer itself. Just make sure not to choose "express" installation settings as they often bypass the option to change the directory.

My problem was I made it so that the default location was D:\ after I had some things running with the default as C:\. I then started installing some programs and drivers on C:\ but things started fragmenting. Even though I would say, install on C:\ some parts of the programs would still make their way over to D:\ since it was the system default. Keep all defaults to C:\ and manually point things to D:\ when needed.

Quick question for you gurus in here from a noob.

Is this mobo compatible with this gpu? And will they both fit into a R3 case? And in your opinion will they work well together? I'm very open to suggestions.

The GPU - GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Link-DisplayPort-Graphics-02G-P4-2678-KR/dp/tech-data/B0083Y6MV6/ref=de_a_smtd

The Mobo - P8Z68-V
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-LGA-1155-Motherboards-P8Z68-V/dp/B005UDITPK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VV65HUFLJL3R&coliid=I1NZG4UN27UX

The Case - Fractal R3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom