• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think this system would be able to run next gen games at any settings?i'll be getting ps4 and nextbox but don't want to move away completely from pc gaming.....

It's hard to say with them not having been announced. I somehow doubt they will be on par hardware wise with current high end pcs.

knitoe

At this point, would replacing the SSD and re-installing windows all I have to do? I have a 1TB drive that has my games/picutres/videos/etc. that is sitting in the machine as well.

Yes, there are many complaints, but I have 3 OCZ Sandforce SSDs and never had one single issue. If you haven't experience any issues, I wouldn't about it.

It's hard to say with them not having been announced. I somehow doubt they will be on par hardware wise with current high end pcs.
Next consoles may not come out with hardware as power as current top end PCs, but their games are highly optimized for their hardware. For example, good luck, try running Crysis 2 with a similar console GPU on the PC. So, even the top end PC today, will probably have problems running X720/PS4 ports, until once again, new PC hardware becomes so powerful it can easy overcome the huge console optimization advantage.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do you think this system would be able to run next gen games at any settings?i'll be getting ps4 and nextbox but don't want to move away completely from pc gaming.....
Depends how good the ports are.
'Any Settings' is always vague. You shouldn't have any troubles playing on High and 1080p 60FPS, imo.

You start talking 8xAA, 1440p, bigger textures, maybe you run into 1.5GB VRAM not being enough, etc.

Don't sweat it. You've got a good machine so just wait and see what happens. Overclock that CPU though.

kharma45

Yeah it'll be perfectly fine, only thing I'd do is maybe OC your CPU for a small performance boost.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just make sure to get a good one. Not an OCZ. Go Samsung, Crucial or Intel.

Yes, there are many complaints, but I have 3 OCZ Sandforce SSDs and never had one single issue. If you haven't experience any issues, I wouldn't about it.

Thanks. I ordered a Samsung off of Amazon, should be here Monday so I'll be PC-less all weekend. Hopefully it all works out. Thanks again.

thundr51

Currently running a Sapphire 5870 that I bought some time ago. So far its fine but I'm thinking that I will probably want to upgrade soon. I don't want to spend 200+ just for an extra +5 frames. Any suggestions on a card that will give me a noticeable boost but not cost over 250?

MrBig

Currently running a Sapphire 5870 that I bought some time ago. So far its fine but I'm thinking that I will probably want to upgrade soon. I don't want to spend 200+ just for an extra +5 frames. Any suggestions on a card that will give me a noticeable boost but not cost over 250?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Start making sacrifices for a low cost GTX 660 variant of a GTX660Ti. :p
7850 is the correct current answer though for a new card right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Monarch

Banned
Guys I'm thinking more and more about watercooling my PC these days...
How much of a headache it is to install it ? What about the prices ?

I'm clueless here, not to mention all the loop/LPDC-HPDC/cable diameter/push-pull fans/insert some-shit-watercooling-thing i'm squeezing through to figure out what to buy
I plan to WC an i5 2500K (OC to 4.6Ghz, cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P) and an Asus 570 GTX DCII.
And because my 600T White case deserves it :p !
Thanks !

derExperte

To say again clearly, the single largest difference in performance between the i3 and i5 is the frequency, not cores. They are both 4T procs.

But there's a big difference between real cores and Hyperthreading. In the early days some games even ran slower with HT enabled. It's in german but you'll see that the differences between HT/SMT and not are smaller than between 2 and 4 real cores: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2012/test-intel-ivy-bridge/17/, http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2012/test-intel-ivy-bridge/56/ Compare the i3-2120 with the 2500K and then the 2700K.

Does anyone here use one of the Western Digital Green drives? The 2TB drive is $99 on Amazon and I would be using it for storage of games and music mainly. My OS is on a Crucial M4. Or should I go for the WD Black 1TB for $120? How much of a difference in speed will I really see?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/GadgetNeeds_net
Hmm

Did you try adding it to cart? Often shipping will be like $35 on non major sites using FedEx.

Is the case you want not on Amazon?

I added it to cart but the rest of the checkout process didn't even work, so it's clearly not a good reseller.

It's the NZXT H2 and it's $100 on Amazon and $110 at Newegg. I'm hoping it'll be discounted in the next two weeks because I need to build my PC and send off my rebates!

Ostinatto

buying a new pc next week

CPU: I7-3820 SANDY BRIDGE 3.3/3.9Ghz
MB: ASUS P9X79 INTEL X79 LGA2011
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)DDR3 1600
VIDEO: MSI GEFORCE GTX 670 PM2D2GD5/OC
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB GREEN SATA3 64MB
POWER: COOLERMASTER GX SERIES 750W
CASE: Thermaltake V9 Black Edition
DVD-ROM: R-DVD LG GH24NS90 DVD+R 24X SATA BLACK BOX
VENT-CPU: CoolerMaster CPU M/Socket - Hyper 212 EVO

Am I doing something wrong here?
im not from the states, so i cant follow OT products and prices
GTX 680 is 100$ higher than GTX 670 is it worth it? i just wanna play BF3 (ultra) at 60fps
thanks gaf

If all you want to do is play BF3 at 60fps, you can go with the i5 and 8gb of ram to save money, even the stock Intel cpu fan. The GTX 670 will get you there just fine. It gets me there and I'm using a 2560x1440 display too. :)

MrBig

GTX 680 is 100$ higher than GTX 670 is it worth it? i just wanna play BF3 (ultra) at 60fps
thanks gaf

super super overkill

The products in the "excellent" build from the op should be available wherever you are. Go with the 670, not the 680; the performance difference is far less than $100.

Tau

Guys need your help here. I'm not sure which connectors I should be plugging my HDD and SDD to.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77 S1155
HDD: 1TB SATA 6gb/s
SDD: 128gb 830 SATA 6gb/s

connector options on the motherboard are;

Intel Z77 serial ATA 6GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_1/2 [brown]
ASMedia serial ATA 6GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_E1/E2 [grey]

dyna-soar

Oh wow, thanks for all the input guys, I'm really looking forward to building this. My only critique of my own build would be, is it bad to have an AMD GPU and an intel processor in the same machine? I was curious if there would be compatibility issues? Or if they would work in harmony just fine.

kharma45

Oh wow, thanks for all the input guys, I'm really looking forward to building this. My only critique of my own build would be, is it bad to have an AMD GPU and an intel processor in the same machine? I was curious if there would be compatibility issues? Or if they would work in harmony just fine.

Nope makes no difference.

Aesius

Quick question, lovely PC-GAF.

I currently have a Phenom II X2 550 (@ 3.4 ghz), an ATI 4850, and 4 GB RAM.

I'm not really at the point where I want to completely upgrade my system just yet, but now that I've hooked my PC up to my 46" 1080p TV, I'm starting to notice some stuttering and poor frame rates on newer games, even with AA off and shadows turned down.

Would a "band-aid" solution work - i.e., buying a 7850 2GB to hold me over until I decide to upgrade my CPU (will likely jump over to Intel), or would my current CPU bottleneck everything?

So I got the 7850, and well...I'm a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. I think I'm being bottlenecked by my CPU, like I was afraid of.

However, I can pickup an AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ Amazon for $99 right now: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ/dp/B002SRQ214/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342222356&sr=8-4&keywords=athlon+phenom

Again, I feel like it's sort of another band-aid solution, even if I overclocked it to 4ghz, and now I'm at $350 for what still might be not so amazing performance.

How much would I be looking at paying if I wanted to go the i5-2500k/3570k route (including new motherboard, and I assume RAM)?

So I got the 7850, and well...I'm a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. I think I'm being bottlenecked by my CPU, like I was afraid of.

However, I can pickup an AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ Amazon for $99 right now: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ/dp/B002SRQ214/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342222356&sr=8-4&keywords=athlon+phenom

Again, I feel like it's sort of another band-aid solution, even if I overclocked it to 4ghz, and now I'm at $350 for what still might be not so amazing performance.

How much would I be looking at paying if I wanted to go the i5-2500k/3570k route (including new motherboard, and I assume RAM)?

Around 350 more, give or take.

MrBig

Guys need your help here. I'm not sure which connectors I should be plugging my HDD and SDD to.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77 S1155
HDD: 1TB SATA 6gb/s
SDD: 128gb 830 SATA 6gb/s

connector options on the motherboard are;

Intel Z77 serial ATA 6GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_1/2 [brown]
ASMedia serial ATA 6GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_E1/E2 [grey]

The Intel ports of course

Jburton

Banned
God damn delivery company .... ordered my goods on wednesday for next day delivery and they couldn't deliver on Thursday (Bank Holiday) and they did not get here today!

.... I have to drive and collect them from the depot tomorrow, makes me wonder why the fuck I paid money for next day delivery!

Ordered:

i5-2500k

Gigabyte Z69AP-D3 (Rev B3 - PCI express 3.0 version)

8gig corsair xms DDR3 1600mhz ram

MSI GTX670 OC edition

Western Digital 500gig 64mb sata 3 HDD

OCZ 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU

Fractal Design Core 3000 Case

LG 24x DVD Burner

Arctic Silver 5

Total cost £750 including delivery.

Already to go, can't wait to get my hands on the stuff ......... pray for me that it all works!

God damn delivery company .... ordered my goods on wednesday for next day delivery and they couldn't deliver on Thursday (Bank Holiday) and they did not get here today!

.... I have to drive and collect them from the depot tomorrow, makes me wonder why the fuck I paid money for next day delivery!

Ordered:

i5-2500k

Gigabyte Z69AP-D3 (Rev B3 - PCI express 3.0 version)

8gig corsair xms DDR3 1600mhz ram

MSI GTX670 OC edition

Western Digital 500gig 64mb sata 3 HDD

OCZ 550W 80 Plus Bronze PSU

Fractal Design Core 3000 Case

LG 24x DVD Burner

Arctic Silver 5

Total cost £750 including delivery.

Already to go, can't wait to get my hands on the stuff ......... pray for me that it all works!

Where did you get this from? I am looking for that processor and have no idea what motherboard to get.

mkenyon

Banned
But there's a big difference between real cores and Hyperthreading. In the early days some games even ran slower with HT enabled. It's in german but you'll see that the differences between HT/SMT and not are smaller than between 2 and 4 real cores: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2012/test-intel-ivy-bridge/17/, http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2012/test-intel-ivy-bridge/56/ Compare the i3-2120 with the 2500K and then the 2700K.
I'll guarantee you that's related to processor frequency, not cores/threads. That's why the 2500K and 2600K are so close. They're almost the same clock speed. 2500Ks have 'tubo boost' which means they clock up to 3.7 for single threaded performance. i3s do not.

Just to make this clear, I'm not advocating the i3 as an equal processor to the i5. I'm saying the argument "get a 2500K because quad cores will be helpful in the next gen" is a bad one.

In situations where all four threads are used, there is a marginal difference between the two. CoD is a great example, as that engine is single threaded. That's why you see a significant difference.

There is apples to apples performance against a 2500K in the only major n-threaded game. That's literally the best possible data set we can draw from.
Anyone know of a simple guide to overclocking Ivy Bridge? I have a 3570K on Asus P8Z77-V.
OP, use the Sandybridge one. It's the same thing, except A) it runs hotter, and B) you might hit a thermal wall where the temps skyrocket around 4.4-4.6.
Guys I'm thinking more and more about watercooling my PC these days...
How much of a headache it is to install it ? What about the prices ?

I'm clueless here, not to mention all the loop/LPDC-HPDC/cable diameter/push-pull fans/insert some-shit-watercooling-thing i'm squeezing through to figure out what to buy
I plan to WC an i5 2500K (OC to 4.6Ghz, cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P) and an Asus 570 GTX DCII.
And because my 600T White case deserves it :p !
Thanks !
If installing something in your computer is measured by level of "headache", I'd avoid it. It's for hobbyists and fans of silence. Requires maintenance, lots of patience, and at least a weekend to set it up. 600Ts also require pretty extensive modding to get a loop set up properly in them.

Got the 27" monitor hooked up. Looks dreamy. :)

I ran Dirt 3 for about 20 min and noticed gpu temps getting into the low to mid 70s. Is this ok or do I need to bump down the graphic settings? At what temps do I need to be concerned?

Ceebs

I ran Dirt 3 for about 20 min and noticed gpu temps getting into the low to mid 70s. Is this ok or do I need to bump down the graphic settings? At what temps do I need to be concerned?

That is around where my 670 runs when it's getting pushed hard with the fans on auto. It's fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

thanks gaf
Don't get a WD Green as an OS drive. For storage they are ok. Get a Samsung F3 1TB instead.
Get a 1155 Socket system like the OP build sheets list.

What were you expecting and how big of a performance jump did you get in the games you wanted at what res?
So Sandy or Ivy? Why choose one over the other?
Ivy uses slightly less power normal load and a bit less volts. About 5% faster per clock.
If you OC to 4.2-4.4Ghz Ivy is a bit better, SB can clock a tiny bit higher more reliably, but it's about the same in power and cost.
If you are buying new I'd just go Ivy if you don't intend to go crazy overclocking. Same value and a bit less power draw.

CPU under 65C, GPU under 85C is ok.

K' Dash

Hey again, I posted yesterday that my PC is giving me trouble, the video is crashing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTVXzHuSFw&feature=g-upl

Well, the problem seems to be the Steam client, it only happens when browsing the Steam client, when playing a video there, after a while the screen goes black and I have to reset, I've been watching many Youtube videos and everything's fine, bet when I watch a trailer from Steam, shit goes wrong.

Yesterday I removed all AMD from my PC and installed the latest beta Catalyst Drivers, this afternoon when browsing the Steam Store the screen went black for a second and then a message showed up saying "the display drivers failed but were recovered", this happened like 4 times ALWAYS while browsing in the Steam Client, after that the video just crashed like the link I posted.

Any ideas what could it be?

Just so you know I've been playing A LOT of Space Marine on max settings with 8X MSAA and Crysis with High settings also with 8X MSAA and not a single problem.

antitrop

Upgrading to a 2500K is a really nice jump for the long-term. For now, you'd still do pretty well with a Phenom II x4 though.

As someone who had a Phenom II x4 465 last year and an i7-2600k this year: You won't do well with the Phenom II.

Anything but the absolute newest AMD processors play games like old people fuck.

Buying an AMD cpu primarily for gaming is a joke. Gaming on a Phenom II x4 was more frustrating than it was fun and getting a good Intel cpu is one of the best decisions I've made as far as hardware in the last few years. A few hundred dollars is the difference between 45fps on Medium and 100fps on Maxed. It is somewhat game dependent, every engine is different, on a Phenom II X6 1100T I was able to max out Max Payne 3 around a solid 40-50fps. With the i7 I get more like 80, but I'm not silly enough to say that 50fps isn't playable, but not every game runs as well as Max Payne 3. Especially games that value the CPU over the GPU (such as StarCraft II, Diablo 3, or any similar game).

antitrop

So Sandy or Ivy? Why choose one over the other?
If you want the CPU primarily for gaming, really the only advantage of the Ivy over the Sandy is being able to brag that you have an Ivy Bridge.

If the most intense thing you do is play games on 1 monitor (probably high 90s % of gamers), then you really don't need any more than a good Sandy Bridge i5. But if you're the type who wants to game while streaming to TwitchTV at 1080p with a webcam on 2 monitors while rendering a video to upload to YouTube, that's when you may want to start looking at the high end i7 SBs or IB.

vocab

Can someone tell if 82C in some games with my GTX 670FTW is normal? I put prefer maximum performance in the power management mode, and I'm getting really high temps, and much higher gpu usage. I'm not sure which is better.

Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

Apparently it was pretty beastly when I won it.

Hey so I put some PC components on top of this thing. Apparently this mobo is dead. I have all these parts though, can anyone suggest a nice quick replacement I can get over this thing. Needs to support DDR3 g.skill ram, a gtx670 and my i5 2500k.

Thanks a bunch GAF!

antitrop

Can someone tell if 82C in some games with my GTX 670FTW is normal? I put prefer maximum performance in the power management mode, and I'm getting really high temps, and much higher gpu usage. I'm not sure which is better.
That's just about the hottest you would want to get it, but it's Summer time so high temperatures in gaming PCs are normal, happens to everyone. If you can make it to winter time you will get much lower and more manageable temperatures, otherwise you might have to invest in an aftermarket cooler for the GPU, because 80C+ over extended time is a bit much.

mxgt

Banned

that's okay. mine max at around 75 with the default fan profile in evga precision. although I did change it so that 1C = 1% increase in fan speed so now my ftw's max at around 68. downside being of course the system is a little louder but I always wear headphones anyway.

try changing the fan curve if you havent already, it can eally help keep temps down

antitrop

that's okay. mine max at around 75 with the default fan profile in evga precision. although I did change it so that 1C = 1% increase in fan speed so now my ftw's max at around 68. downside being of course the system is a little louder but I always wear headphones anyway.
I get similar temperatures this time of year, with solid cooling. (But not water)

abunai

Hey so I put some PC components on top of this thing. Apparently this mobo is dead. I have all these parts though, can anyone suggest a nice quick replacement I can get over this thing. Needs to support DDR3 g.skill ram, a gtx670 and my i5 2500k.

Thanks a bunch GAF!

If you're not too fussy on overclocking potential, any Z68 or Z77 based motherboard will perform fine for you. I prefer ASUS boards, MSI and Gigabyte are good too. ASRock have improved a lot lately, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom