• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure all you guys no better than me and all, me being a junior, but can someone explain to me why this thread is in gaming and not off-topic; as far as I getting a new PC isn't a specific gaming-based topic.

Just to make sure i don't sound truly idiotic, I'm aware that video games can be played on a Personal Computer.

RedSwirl

Is there a chance the Q6600 won't run Dark Souls when it comes out? The game is gonna be pretty much a straight console port but says it requires a dual core clocked at 3.0GHz. My Q6600 is a quad core clocked at 2.4GHz.

Hey, I have a quick question: I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard and I typically update the BIOS (even though its UEFI?) every now and then. Typically, a new update will be described as so:

Version 2303 said:
P8P67 PRO BIOS 2303
Improve system stability.

Very descriptive, right? But, then I saw this update:

Version 2307 said:
P8P67 PRO BIOS 3207
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
* Enable support for Intel Next Gen 22nm Processor E1 stepping MP version CPU.

*Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC.

I was going to update to this version but that * had me confused. I am using Intel i5-2500k CPU (Sandybridge) so I obviously don't have a new 22nm CPU BUT do I have to wrry about "Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC."? What does it mean update BIOS twice? Literally install the same thing twice? Seems excessive. And what the heck is CLRTC? I have tried Googling for info but all I see is that it involved ASUS motherboards but no info on what it does or where to download. Any information would be very helpful, thanks.

antitrop

Is there a chance the Q6600 won't run Dark Souls when it comes out? The game is gonna be pretty much a straight console port but says it requires a dual core clocked at 3.0GHz. My Q6600 is a quad core clocked at 2.4GHz.
That's a 5 year old processor significantly behind the minimum hardware. I have a strong, strong feeling that Dark Souls will chew that thing up and leave nothing left.

RedSwirl

That's a 5 year old processor significantly behind the minimum hardware. I have a strong, strong feeling that Dark Souls will chew that thing up and leave nothing left.

Really? Its had literally no problems with other games. Even Crysis 2 in DX11 runs alright. Is Dark Souls gonna be that badly optimized?

n0n44m

Hey, I have a quick question: I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard and I typically update the BIOS (even though its UEFI?) every now and then. Typically, a new update will be described as so:

Very descriptive, right? But, then I saw this update:

I was going to update to this version but that * had me confused. I am using Intel i5-2500k CPU (Sandybridge) so I obviously don't have a new 22nm CPU BUT do I have to wrry about "Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC."? What does it mean update BIOS twice? Literally install the same thing twice? Seems excessive. And what the heck is CLRTC? I have tried Googling for info but all I see is that it involved ASUS motherboards but no info on what it does or where to download. Any information would be very helpful, thanks.

If you have no issues with the system you don't have to update the bios ;)

if you still insist on doing it --> updating twice is probably because the first Asus P67 boards have some quirks every now and then; e.g. double booting when updating certain bios settings

the CLR RTC is also referred to as "Clear CMOS" --> basically you move a jumper for a few seconds so that you can reset bios settings to factory defaults. Grab the motherboard manual for more info but it's nothing more than moving the CLR RTC jumper cap on the bottom right of the board 1 pin to the right for 10 seconds, then moving it back (with the power cord disconnected of course)

but again, unless you plan on replacing your CPU with an Ivy Bridge chip there is probably no reason to update :)

antitrop

I can't imagine a new console port so bad that it won't utilize more than two cores.
What if I told you that almost all PC games only utilize 1 or 2 CPU cores?

There some that don't, but it's not the norm. Diablo III is a 2012 PC exclusive and only runs on 1 Core most of the time, with minor intermittent usage of other cores.

Gav47

I can't imagine a new console port so bad that it won't utilize more than two cores.

Its gonna be from a team that has little or no experience developing for PC and they've gone on record saying the game won't even be reworked to run a 60 fps. I won't be surprised if ends up running like crap.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What if I told you that almost all PC games only utilize 1 or 2 CPU cores?

There some that don't, but it's not the norm. Diablo III is a 2012 PC exclusive and only runs on 1 Core most of the time, with minor intermittent usage of other cores.

Civilization 5 uses multi-core pretty well. Unfortunately it's slow with large maps even with sandy bridge E OCed.

Future question: When is 1440p or higher resolutions going to get cheaper?

antitrop

Civilization 5 uses multi-core pretty well. Unfortunately it's slow with large maps even with sandy bridge E OCed.

I have an i7-2600k OC'd @ 4.8ghz and I have no problems at all with Civ 5 on any map. Any i5 or i7 should have no problem with that game.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I have an i7-2600k OC'd @ 4.8ghz and I have no problems at all with Civ 5 on any map. Any i5 or i7 should have no problem with that game.

Similar, but it takes multiple seconds per turn. More AI and city states, the longer it takes. It should be < 200 ms. It's civ, not decoding a blu-ray.

It's clearly poorly designed software.

Ceebs

It's already pretty cheap compared to what your usual suspects of 1080p IPS monitors cost.

By cheap I mean cheap for the monitor, you will still end up forking out more for video card(s) to play games on it than normal.

antitrop

Similar, but it takes multiple seconds per turn. More AI and city states, the longer it takes. It should be < 200 ms. It's civ, not decoding a blu-ray.

It's clearly poorly designed software.

I'm sure you've played far more Civ 5 than I have, I never got too into it, so I'll take your word for it.

For the small amount of time I played though (10-15 hours) I never ran into any FPS issues.

I'm sure you've played far more Civ 5 than I have, I never got too into it, so I'll take your word for it.

For the small amount of time I played though (10-15 hours) I never ran into any FPS issues.

It's not really FPS, but you can easily be waiting 5 seconds or more during the later portions of the game despite having an advanced processor.

It should not take that long.

Ceebs

It's not really FPS, but you can easily be waiting 5 seconds or more during the later portions of the game despite having an advanced processor.

It should not take that long.

Civ games are doing a ton of computations during those turns though. I can easily see why it takes so long on large maps late in the game.

Sarcasm

How should one partition a 2tb hard drive during windows install?

As in instead of one big hard drive make some partitions..I know how to do it just I never had a big drive before.

Whooter

As in instead of one big hard drive make some partitions..I know how to do it just I never had a big drive before.

I think the answer nowadays is one shouldn't. If anything, make a small partition to install the OS to, and leave everything else in the second partition.

I could be wrong.

MrBig

100-200gb partition for OS and applications. Then have your steam games and all your data on a single other partition so that you don't get screwed if you have to format.

$2,000 seems to be about average as far as I can tell.

more like $1299 from dell. the U3011 is a pretty damn good display, with pretty much every input you could want (2x hdmi, 2x dvi, vga, displayport, component, usb ports, and a 7-1 card reader). plus, its a matte and IPS display (i despise glossy), so viewing 2560x1600 is absolutely glorious.

MrBig

How much is it for a cheap 1600p monitor? fuck 16:9

There are no cheap 1600p monitors. tbqh the height of my 27" 16:9 is just too much sometimes. I'm always snapping browser windows to one side and then dragging them down to decrease the reading area into a more manageable area. Having more would be ridiculous. Painting at this size is very nice though

Also there are no glossy 1600p panels afaik, which means you iq and color quality will be destroyed.

more like $1299 from dell. the U3011 is a pretty damn good display, with pretty much every input you could want (2x hdmi, 2x dvi, vga, displayport, component, usb ports, and a 7-1 card reader). plus, its a matte and IPS display (i despise glossy), so viewing 2560x1600 is absolutely glorious.

All those things together make for a terrible experience. Input lag from all the excess components and the nature of IPS, and then a gritty piece of plastic slopped on top of it all.

Ceebs

There are no cheap 1600p monitors. tbqh the height of my 27" 16:9 is just too much sometimes. I'm always snapping browser windows to one side and then dragging them down to decrease the reading area into a more manageable area. Having more would be ridiculous. Painting at this size is very nice though

Also there are no glossy 1600p panels afaik, which means you iq and color quality will be destroyed.

All those things together make for a terrible experience. Input lag from all the excess components and the nature of IPS, and then a gritty piece of plastic slopped on top of it all.

Yeah, I already feel like I am sitting 2 feet away from my 50" plasma as is.

Sarcasm

How do I move my documents and such to my other partition and make the library point to there?

Lots of right clicking. Figured it out lol

Long story short, I built a new rig with everything new except my hard drive and when I boot, immediately I get BSOD. I definitely need a new hard drive at this point, but is there any way to boot off of a USB stick instead? The BIOS screen says that my only boot option is the hard drive.

MrBig

Long story short, I built a new rig with everything new except my hard drive and when I boot, immediately I get BSOD. I definitely need a new hard drive at this point, but is there any way to boot off of a USB stick instead? The BIOS screen says that my only boot option is the hard drive.

Running Ubuntu off a USB would be the easiest check.

antitrop

did you reinstall windows on the hard drive after building? if not, its prolly bluescreening from incompatible drivers on that current windows installation
I have experience basically building a "new PC" but reusing a perfectly good hard-drive and installing it in the new build with Windows 7. I booted it up and after spending a fair bit of time installing some drivers (automatically) it booted right up without any problems at all. I did have to reactivate with my serial number, but after entering it again Windows activated on the new hardware just fine.

I switched a Windows installation from an AMD-based motherboard to an Intel-based motherboard. If you do it right I think it's pretty difficult to fuck up your drivers on Windows 7.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So if I install steam to f partition, when I install games it will install there too right?
I believe so. This is the easy way.
Takes slightly longer to load, but no issues with game installs.
Can you get a glimpse of the error?

Define 'on boot'. Before or after POST? Loading Windows?

I believe so. This is the easy way.
Takes slightly longer to load, but no issues with game installs.

Can you get a glimpse of the error?

Define 'on boot'. Before or after POST? Loading Windows?

I'd rather not identify what is causing the blue screen because it would just be easier to install a clean copy of Windows. Would it work if I installed a clean copy of Windows from a USB stick and wipe out all my data from the hard drive and start from scratch?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Things is its installed in F not C..I can find a 100mb game to test this out...
Sorry, Big had it right. See my edit.

Got confused on auto installing directory because people usually install it to C:\ aka SSD and want to move installers to their HDD so they get the speed boost of having Steam on their SSD.
I'd rather not identify what is causing the blue screen because it would just be easier to install a clean copy of Windows. Would it work if I installed a clean copy of Windows from a USB stick and wipe out all my data from the hard drive and start from scratch?
Yeah, clean install is best way to go if you didn't prep drivers before hand. Shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry, Big had it right. See my edit.

Got confused on auto installing directory because people usually install it to C: aka SSD and want to move installers to their HDD so they get the speed boost of having Steam on their SSD.

Yeah, clean install is best way to go if you didn't prep drivers before hand. Shouldn't be an issue.
Edit: Nevermind, installing clean copy of Windows right now. :)

Sarcasm

OKay is the steam client buggy or something? I thought it was just my wives laptop and my netbook..but on my desktop sometimes doing something makes it go unresponsive and if I wait long enough it responds back.

Hoplatee

It has been a month since I made my new pc and I still cry of joy everytime I boot my pc. Oh SSD, I love you so much.

OKay is the steam client buggy or something? I thought it was just my wives laptop and my netbook..but on my desktop sometimes doing something makes it go unresponsive and if I wait long enough it responds back.

I have the same problem. It just hangs for a few seconds sometimes. It always happens after I buy something. No idea why and that does not bother me but it is kinda annoying during chats sometimes. It's not a big problem though. For what it's worth, this also happened on my old PC.

Smokey

Input lag? I play BF3 MP about 90% of the time on my U3011 and there is no noticeable lag to me...Yes it's not as smooth as 120hz, but as far as lag I do not notice any. Only time I notice there being a delay is if I have v-sync turned on.

That being said I'm not sure the extra $400 or whatever the difference is compared to a 1440p display is worth it, but the U3011 is an amazing monitor IMO.

I noticed recently that Steam would almost hard lock my PC whenever it's downloading something (like the big Dota2 patch couple of days ago)amd goes back to normal once its done, don't know if it is steam or my HDD.

Sarcasm

I can't set up gmail in outlook 2010, why? I followed it own guide. I just get spammed to enter password every time.

**Figured it out.

Jburton

Banned
Well after completing my build yesterday, installing drivers, windows update etc, I feel as though it is finished.

It is cable managed pretty well but I might revisit that to tidy up one or two things but I am getting pretty good temps as it stands

i5-2500k at stock on stock cooler is idling at 34-35c

System is idling around 33c

GTX 670 at stock is idling around 29c

Running quick, pretty quiet (Fractal Design Core 3000 with in built 120mm intake, 140mm roof outake and rear 120mm outake).

Going to leave any overclocking until a later point, no point in stressing components until it is required and it also takes a few cycles of the cpu heating and cooling for the thermal paste to reach maximum conductivity so temps could come down another degree or two.

First build in about 8 years, happy about how it has gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom