• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Antec 300 is a bad case. Get one from the OP.

It is? I always thought it was a decent cheap case, it's the one I wanted instead of my Cooler Master 330.

Can you recommend anything amazon sells that is just simple? Don't want LEDs and stuff

Would this do? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YVJJ5Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a Casecom 6788 over this side of the pond and seems to get very good reviews on Amazon.com for you guys just like it does on eBuyer for us.

Ceebs

What do you mean?

Like in the direct compute/CUDA stuff. I just recall reading that the 600 series is way behind the 500 in that department. He mentioned he was going to be doing some heavy Adobe stuff, but I am not sure how much that factors in.

Jburton

Banned
Like in the direct compute/CUDA stuff. I just recall reading that the 600 series is way behind the 500 in that department. He mentioned he was going to be doing some heavy Adobe stuff, but I am not sure how much that factors in.

Oh ok, using a graphics card for work type things is alien to me lol.

Have any of you guys purchased from Cyber Power?

I know this thread is about building PCs, but I would rather just have it done right by someone else.

I have, they aren't bad by any stretch but their customer service leaves a little to be desired. but you will get pretty much what you want at good prices.

hokey1

I have a i5 760 and a evga 470 video card.
Thinking about upgrading to continue playing games at decent framerates & resolutions.

What would help the best? Upgrading the CPU or upgrading the video card?

Thanks for any and all advice.

kharma45

Thinking about upgrading to continue playing games at decent framerates & resolutions.

You could OC your i5 and upgrade your GPU.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm jumping ship to Intel i5 2500k (so new mobo/ram too)

Am I good to go with just popping my HDD's back in or will I need to reformat W7? (any other considerations?)

Uninstall any motherboard drivers, wouldn't kill you to uninstall gfx drivers too.

It should pretty much be the same.

I'd try the old install with your current system first. If you do have problems, you can always reformat later.

Hell, I just had to reformat Win7 recently, and when I was booting, I accidentally booted into my old storage drive that had an ancient Win2k partition on it, and that ran lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some good buys today:

PCP&C 500W Modular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035
MSI 7850 and 560Ti 448 for $210 AR

I know, I just didn't know if there was a newer one.
There is now.
About to pull the trigger on this one: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27600348

Any improvements I can make? Thanks.
Just low profile RAM.

OC CPU, Upgrade graphics.

Updated OP. Most of it remained he same.
iEs1L.png

OK if there are not other objections I am going to order this tonight with the Samsung Hard Drive from Newegg (since amazon does not stock it). Am I missing anything at all? Should this all work together fine?

Also are there any step by step videos you recommend to help put all the parts together in the right order? Thanks!

7eWp0.png

gV8Ts.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OK if there are not other objections I am going to order this tonight with the Samsung Hard Drive from Newegg (since amazon does not stock it). Am I missing anything at all? Should this all work together fine?

Also are there any step by step videos you recommend to help put all the parts together in the right order? Thanks!
You can get the 3570K on newegg for $215 right now. Tad faster, lower power.
Looks good.

Videos are in the OP.

Uninstall any motherboard drivers, wouldn't kill you to uninstall gfx drivers too.

It should pretty much be the same.

I'd try the old install with your current system first. If you do have problems, you can always reformat later.

Hell, I just had to reformat Win7 recently, and when I was booting, I accidentally booted into my old storage drive that had an ancient Win2k partition on it, and that ran lol.

Thanks buddy, I just didn't want to have some weird hangup because of switching from AMD to Intel.

At least the mobo's are the same size so I can just pop it in.

7eWp0.png

gV8Ts.png

I am thinking of bumping the Ram to 16gb for the sake of video editing with Adobe Premiere. Sound decision? Puts me at about 1100 total for the build.

knitoe

What am I sacrificing by just using the stock heatsink from the Intel 2500k? I don't plan to overclock the cpu at all

Can't understand why people wouldn't overclock. An increase of 1GHz is huge, especially for games. And, you answer your question, nothing other than higher temps and more noise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can't understand why people wouldn't overclock. An increase of 1GHz is huge, especially for games. And, you answer your question, nothing other than higher temps and more noise.

I was under the impression that i5 processors were more than capable of running modern games and the GPU is the biggest factor in performance. When people say that, are they always talking about overclocked processors? Or am I completely wrong that anyone says that?

Kalnos

Banned
I was under the impression that i5 processors were more than capable of running modern games and the GPU is the biggest factor in performance. When people say that, are they always talking about overclocked processors? Or am I completely wrong that anyone says that?

i5 is way more than capable.

knitoe

Capable doesn't mean they still can't limit games performance. Games with lots of physic effects, like Witcher 2, overclocking does make a big difference.

Smokey

Always reformat when installing a new motherboard. Always always always.

whoops lol

haven't had any issues though since i got the pz68 board months ago..

Holy shit. I bit the bullet. Parts should all be here by Wednesday (got to love Amazon Prime)

Thanks for all your help guys!

congrats :p
next few days are going to go really slow

unless you were a boss and did next day shipping ;)

mkenyon

Banned
is there any gamming advantage to having a lga 2011 pc?
Only in cases of really really high resolutions, and even then it's a gamble based on whether or not the motherboard actually upgrades to PCI-E 3.0.

I had about a 3% increase in performance switching from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 at 1080p with a GTX690. Theoretically, it should be bottlenecked more than any other card as well.

2500K on Z77 still the best way to go.

more pci-e lanes if you're going to go the sli/tri-sli,/xfire/tri-fire route. other than that not really.

will help your e-swag tho
Pretty much this. Also good if you do multimedia stuff like lots of Photoshop/Premiere/Vegas. And Civ V in between turns.
They're always talking about 2500K's overclocked to 4.2 range. Tribes: Ascend, for example, will run at 120FPS with anything from a 5870/GTX560 and better as long as you're overclocked to 4.5Ghz. With a GTX690 and stock clocks, you'd be lucky to be hitting 70.

Smokey

Is there one particularly in doing video work? Cause I'm only considering LGA 2011 now for that and 3D rendering. But the board I want won't drop in price anymore :\

Yes. LGA 2011 is aimed at people such as yourself. Multimedia usage is it's strong suit and one of the advantages over the 1155 platform (assuming your'e going for a 3930k/3960x six core processor).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is there one particularly in doing video work? Cause I'm only considering LGA 2011 now for that and 3D rendering. But the board I want won't drop in price anymore :\
Yup. Depends on how much time you have as well vs price of the upgrade.
A 3770K will do the job plenty well, but a 6C/12T PC will do it better. Not 50% better, that depends a lot on software and updates.
This is just what I saw from 3 reviews, but it's around 15% faster. Honestly that does not seem like enough to justify dropping another $400+, but it might be for some.
How much storage space on a hard drive do you guys think I should need if I'm mainly going to game on my PC? Right now I have a 320GB hard drive and I need an upgrade.

I'm looking at this one right now, is it good?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, would I have to re-install Windows if I'm getting rid of the old drive?
Samsung F4 2TB is what you should buy. Just clone your old drive to you new drive.

DTKT

Any tips about switching from ATI to Nvidia?

Should I just:

Remove the old ATI card
Install the new Nvidia
Boot and uninstall ATI drivers. Install Nvidia
Reboot

?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any tips about switching from ATI to Nvidia?

Should I just:

Remove the old ATI card
Install the new Nvidia
Boot and uninstall ATI drivers. Install Nvidia
Reboot
I forget everytime I swap cards, but I go:
Uninstall drivers
Remove card
Reboot in safemode run CCleaner or DriverSweeper/DriverCleaner
Install new card
Install Drivers

I've heard you can just uninstall drivers, swap cards, and install new drivers, but old habits die hard.
Well, I jumped the gun already and bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFJ9MK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
If you are running your OS off that I'd swap drives. The WD Greens like to go idle and park their heads and wear themselves last I checked. Says so in the OP not to run one as your OS drive. Storage only is ok.
Again, Samsung F4 2TB off newegg. The Seagate 2TB is probably ok, but I'm not 100% sure.

hypernima

Banned
Yes. LGA 2011 is aimed at people such as yourself. Multimedia usage is it's strong suit and one of the advantages over the 1155 platform (assuming your'e going for a 3930k/3960x six core processor).

Yup. Depends on how much time you have as well vs price of the upgrade.
A 3770K will do the job plenty well, but a 6C/12T PC will do it better. Not 50% better, that depends a lot on software and updates.
This is just what I saw from 3 reviews, but it's around 15% faster. Honestly that does not seem like enough to justify dropping another $400+, but it might be for some.

Samsung F4 2TB is what you should buy. Just clone your old drive to you new drive.

I would go 3770k but I can only afford 3820 unless I random get a ton of money at my doorstep :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom