• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Well after completing my build yesterday, installing drivers, windows update etc, I feel as though it is finished.

It is cable managed pretty well but I might revisit that to tidy up one or two things but I am getting pretty good temps as it stands

i5-2500k at stock on stock cooler is idling at 34-35c

System is idling around 33c

GTX 670 at stock is idling around 29c

Running quick, pretty quiet (Fractal Design Core 3000 with in built 120mm intake, 140mm roof outake and rear 120mm outake).

Going to leave any overclocking until a later point, no point in stressing components until it is required and it also takes a few cycles of the cpu heating and cooling for the thermal paste to reach maximum conductivity so temps could come down another degree or two.

First build in about 8 years, happy about how it has gone.

How do you check the GPU temp?

Tau

I'm looking to get a wireless PCIe network card for my new build, doing a bit of research I'm hearing decent reviews on the "TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe " network card. Also would like to hear your opinion on the card and also other recommendations.

Sarcasm

Yes

Although I prefer EVGA Precision X to MSI Afterburner.

Which do I get? lol

I'm looking to get a wireless PCIe network card for my new build, doing a bit of research I'm hearing decent reviews on the "TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe " network card. Also would like to hear your opinion on the card and also other recommendations.

I needed wifi for my new build but I am just using a patch cable and my netbook, if you can do the same setup it works fine.

Jburton

Banned
Which do I get? lol

I needed wifi for my new build but I am just using a patch cable and my netbook, if you can do the same setup it works fine.

Afterburner is pretty good and as others have said it can record gaemplay and display FPS (just like FRAPS), not sure if the EVGA software does the same.

I am pretty sure either is good.

A minor hiccup, I got Windows to install but it is not detecting my lan card, therefore I'm not getting internet. Any place where I can look for the driver for it? It's a ralink turbo wireless lan card.

Have any of you guys purchased from Cyber Power?

I know this thread is about building PCs, but I would rather just have it done right by someone else.

MrBig

Input lag? I play BF3 MP about 90% of the time on my U3011 and there is no noticeable lag to me...Yes it's not as smooth as 120hz, but as far as lag I do not notice any. Only time I notice there being a delay is if I have v-sync turned on.

That being said I'm not sure the extra $400 or whatever the difference is compared to a 1440p display is worth it, but the U3011 is an amazing monitor IMO.

The U3011 is listed as having a 17ms response time, which is pretty damn long, but not as bad as I was expecting. Should have checked

Which do I get? lol

They're both based on riva, so the only difference is features. Doesn't matter which.

CatPee

Does anyone have a link to a newegg part build for an under $800 PC? I just want to make sure I have the right ram, power supply, etc.

Like this?

Gives you options to jump up to a 7850, up the processor to a 2500K (or get something else and upgrade to it later on), or get Win7 for another $100 and still be around $800.

If you have no issues with the system you don't have to update the bios ;)

if you still insist on doing it --> updating twice is probably because the first Asus P67 boards have some quirks every now and then; e.g. double booting when updating certain bios settings

the CLR RTC is also referred to as "Clear CMOS" --> basically you move a jumper for a few seconds so that you can reset bios settings to factory defaults. Grab the motherboard manual for more info but it's nothing more than moving the CLR RTC jumper cap on the bottom right of the board 1 pin to the right for 10 seconds, then moving it back (with the power cord disconnected of course)

but again, unless you plan on replacing your CPU with an Ivy Bridge chip there is probably no reason to update :)

Yeah, thanks. It sounds like an extra bit of work that really isn't necessary considering I am not noticing any issues currently and I wont be updating to Ivy Bridge.

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a newegg part build for an under $800 PC? I just want to make sure I have the right ram, power supply, etc.
The OP man. The OP.

Have any of you guys purchased from Cyber Power?

I know this thread is about building PCs, but I would rather just have it done right by someone else.
It's easy as pie. If you're Pac NW local, I'll build for free. I can also walk you through building it via mumble/skype/whatever.

The OP man. The OP.

I know, I just didn't know if there was a newer one.

How does this look:

Bg9Wi.png

mkenyon

Banned
Solid. Shinobi really benefits from an additional fan or two though. The Spectre 120s are great for the price, as are the Corsair AF quiet editions.

Ceebs

The U3011 is listed as having a 17ms response time, which is pretty damn long, but not as bad as I was expecting. Should have checked

They're both based on riva, so the only difference is features. Doesn't matter which.

If someone is used to playing console games on an LCD, 17ms will seem nonexistent.

The people who will really notice are fighting game players and your crazy hardcore FPS guys.

Edgeward

Hmm, for the 2nd time since I built this computer the monitor went black but the system was still running.

I'm gonna need a new power supply huh? I have a RAIDMAX 530w with a 6870HD so I thought it was enough.

Also, this never happens when running a game in the two instances. It was just when I was browsing and downloading stuff.

abunai

Hmm, for the 2nd time since I built this computer the monitor went black but the system was still running.

I'm gonna need a new power supply huh? I have a RAIDMAX 530w with a 6870HD so I thought it was enough.

Also, this never happens when running a game in the two instances. It was just when I was browsing and downloading stuff.

Does sound continue to play or does it just loop? a 530w power supply is enough for a HD6870, if it's a decent unit.

Edgeward

I didn't have any sound playing at the time so I can't say.

Last time I thought it was because I left d3doverrider on after being done playing games and causing some weird issue. But I reset it this time and d3doverrider was off, but I don't know either if it was on or improper shutdowns put it to off.

Might just wait before panic buying a new PSU

Tank

Neo Member
Can somebody direct me towards a nice sound setup? I don't know what is best for games, 2.1 or 5.1? Wireless would be preferable, idk if that is possible?

Does 5.1 even help in gaming/music? I don't really watch much movies.

I am looking for something very very loud.

And on another note, will the u3011 hinder me in BF3/MOH:WF/Team Fortress 2... and other games of that type?

abunai

I didn't have any sound playing at the time so I can't say.

Last time I thought it was because I left d3doverrider on after being done playing games and causing some weird issue. But I reset it this time and d3doverrider was off, but I don't know either if it was on or improper shutdowns put it to off.

Might just wait before panic buying a new PSU

d3do won't be doing anything, or at least I've never ever heard of it causing black screens. Maybe next time it crashes, check to see if there's bsod dumps or anything.

Can somebody direct me towards a nice sound setup? I don't know what is best for games, 2.1 or 5.1? Wireless would be preferable, idk if that is possible?

Does 5.1 even help in gaming/music? I don't really watch much movies.

I am looking for something very very loud.

And on another note, will the u3011 hinder me in BF3/MOH:WF/Team Fortress 2... and other games of that type?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Audio is an evil, evil path once you take a step on it - you'll always be wanting to upgrade. If you're just looking for some decent media speakers and don't care for quality, logitech make some acceptable ones. I'd go for Audioengine A2 for some desktop speakers with great quality. They can go loud, but not (large) room filling loud. They're self powered so no separate amplifier required.

The monitor question also depends, I play(ed) TF2 competitively at LANs and such, and I started out with an IPS panel and it was difficult to improve. Once I got a fast TN 120Hz, it was glorious. If you're just playing public, it's not gonna matter.

So for SSD, I'm seeing a lot of Corsair Force GT for good prices. Crucial M4 is also pretty cheap.

From the OP, the buying guide lists M4 as the one to get. What are the opinions on that?

Excellent. I have a 128GB Crucial M4 and it flies. No problems whatsoever.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So for SSD, I'm seeing a lot of Corsair Force GT for good prices. Crucial M4 is also pretty cheap.

From the OP, the buying guide lists M4 as the one to get. What are the opinions on that?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Steam sale has lead me to decide, gotta start upgrading.

I'd like to just upgrade the vid card, as I've used a GTS250 1GB forever. Any suggestions that would run Witcher 2 at a playable speed? Got a Quad core 2.333 ghz and 8 GB of DDR2 ram.

MrBig

Get the Samsung F4 2tb instead of the Cav Green, they're terrible. Change ram to low profile. Do you actually need an optical drive? Do you have headphones that need to be amped? On-board sound is fine these days if not.

I'm jumping ship to Intel i5 2500k (so new mobo/ram too)

Am I good to go with just popping my HDD's back in or will I need to reformat W7? (any other considerations?)

I still can't get my lan card working for my new build. I doubt anyone can help me here, but I installed the driver for it and now the lan card is not showing up as one of my devices. Right now I'm stuck leeching the internet off of my cell phone. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom