• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

satori

Alright gaf, before I pull the trigger, tell me if I am making the right purchases.

Basically, I want to pair up a new hard drive with an SSD. I am going to use these for a gaming PC. Here are my picks:

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

SSD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All systems go?

I have both and they are glorious. Particularly the SSD. TBH it has been the best upgrade I have seen in my system that has the biggest impact in my experience. Even going from a 470 gtx sli to a 670gtx did not net me as big of an upgrade when I put my OS system on that SSD. And wth....it can be had for 99 bucks? jeez I might pick up another one haha.

Giard

I'm wondering, is a 6.0Gb/s hard drive worth it if you have the motherboard for it? What hard drive should I get in that case?

mkenyon

Banned
Wow, good memory thanks dude! I will check it out now! And my processor is a AMD Phenom Black (?)
I had all sorts of stutters and slowdowns on all of my AMD PII X4 systems before I made the upgrade to current gen Intel stuff. It was never able to be seen in hard numbers, but I always felt it.
I'm using Prime95 Small FFT right now and the temperatures I'm getting, after 10 minutes, are 56-57º. Also, there is nothing fancy about my cabinet: it's not big and I'm only using two coolers (one in the front and one in the back).

About the overclock itself, I'm not manually changing the voltage, but I guess this is done automatically. My Vcore, when the CPU is under load, is 1,184V (and nothing more) - is it safe or do I need to change the voltage manually?

EDIT: It seems like the Asus Monitor Sensor, which I was using, is giving very different tempeatures compared to RealTemp. (57º vs almost 90º). I guess I should trust RealTemp and get a better cooler.
Yeah, HWMonitor is generally better as well. But 90s sounds way more accurate.

The reason why you don't let your system do the voltage automatically, is because it will always be above what it needs to be, and therefore it'll be at higher temps.

I'm wondering, is a 6.0Gb/s hard drive worth it if you have the motherboard for it? What hard drive should I get in that case?
6.0Gb/s is a measure of bandwidth, not speed. There isn't a single mechanical drive that can saturate the bandwidth of SATA 1.0, let alone SATA 3.0.
Alright gaf, before I pull the trigger, tell me if I am making the right purchases.

Basically, I want to pair up a new hard drive with an SSD. I am going to use these for a gaming PC. Here are my picks:

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

SSD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All systems go?
I endorse both of these, and use both myself. F4's for File Server, Crucial M4's on my newest build. Both great products, if the F4s are still indeed the Samsung drives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, for those interested in high end cases, Little Devil V7 was just announced. This case has all the features that people mod their cases for. I'll need to get my hands on one to confirm, but it might just be the most perfect case designed.

Dimensions (L x W x H): 620 x 220 x 530 mm
Weight: 7,95kg with plexi window
Expansion Slots: 8
5.25" Bays: 11
HDD Capacity: 8
Colour: Black, Black Red, Black White, White
Radiators - Front: 1 x 120mm, 1x 240mm, 1 x 360mm, 1 x 480 OR 1 x 140, 1 x 280, 1 x 420
Radiators - Top Compartment: 1 x 120mm, 1x 240mm, 1 x 360mm, 1 x 480 OR 1 x 140, 1 x 280, 1 x 420
Different 5.25 covers/grill available

14eddd5a_1.jpeg

59b7e9dd_4.jpeg

ad84bd9e_5.jpeg

96bcd6be_17.jpeg

mkenyon

Banned
It's not a question of 'worth it' or not, it just doesn't mean much of anything at all. It's something they stick on the front of boxes to put people at ease or to confuse them. Not sure which is intended.

Cav Greens are probably the lowest on my list of HDDs people should buy.

Giard

It's not a question of 'worth it' or not, it just doesn't mean much of anything at all. It's something they stick on the front of boxes to put people at ease or to confuse them. Not sure which is intended.

Cav Greens are probably the lowest on my list of HDDs people should buy.
Thanks for your help.

Wazzim

Banned
So RAGE is not working for me, latest drivers etc etc. It only shows a black screen after the intro movie.
Tried turning of V-sync, forcing it on etc. but nothing. I knew I shouldn't have bought a Bethesda published game.

(2500k, 460 1gb, 8gb RAM)

mkenyon

Banned
Didn't know there were different types of DVI cables tbh. That sorted the messy graphics, thanks!

Too bad the dead pixels are still there. :(
Bah, that sucks. Sorry man. I can't believe Dell's QC let that one go out. Pretty disappointing.

So RAGE is not working for me, latest drivers etc etc. It only shows a black screen after the intro movie.
Tried turning of V-sync, forcing it on etc. but nothing. I knew I shouldn't have bought a Bethesda published game.

(2500k, 460 1gb, 8gb RAM)
There were some pretty serious issues on NVIDIA's behalf when Rage was released. When was the last time you updated drivers?

Wazzim

Banned
Bah, that sucks. Sorry man. I can't believe Dell's QC let that one go out. Pretty disappointing.

There were some pretty serious issues on NVIDIA's behalf when Rage was released. When was the last time you updated drivers?
I think a month ago or something. I am on the latest beta drivers and just wasted my money. (WHQL is crap because that one has issues with C&C Red Alert 3)

mkenyon

Banned
I think a month ago or something. I am on the latest beta drivers and just wasted my money. (WHQL is crap because that one has issues with C&C Red Alert 3)
Might be worth a total cleanup. Delete everything in C:\NVIDIA, uninstall drivers through windows, reboot into safe mode and run ccleaner/driver sweeper, restart, reinstall beta drivers.

Otherwise, might want to redownload the game and/or check integrity.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watching all of Lutro0's sleeving videos. I'm actually really excited to do a sleeve job. I wish I could start it now while all my parts are still trickling in.

mkenyon

Banned
Have you seen the short cable kits for the Silverstone Strider series? Might be right up your alley if you don't want to cut them down to size.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have! I'm starting to think I might want to cut the cables anyway, if I'm already doing all that work why not just cut them so they're perfect?

catabarez

Can somebody here help me with shipping a graphics card I sold? This is the first one I sold, what should I ship it in and what should I include?

mkenyon

Banned
Best possible way (barring you don't have the original packaging):

Anti-static bag and taped off that is padded with peanuts in a small box that is in a larger box which is padded with peanuts. If that's too much, then put it in an anti-static bag in a medium sized box padded with peanuts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
See I think that sounds like a good time.

Also that Asus motherboard I got is soooo cool. It's super heavy and just all around fancy looking.

catabarez

Best possible way (barring you don't have the original packaging):

Anti-static bag and taped off that is padded with peanuts in a small box that is in a larger box which is padded with peanuts. If that's too much, then put it in an anti-static bag in a medium sized box padded with peanuts.

I have packaging for a 670 should I just use that?

kharma45

I have packaging for a 670 should I just use that?

Aye just nick the anti-static bag from it, and then make sure it's just well padded on the whole, I stuck my 5770 inside a box inside another box just to be on the safe side, padded both of them, although the outer one to a lesser extent.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my new SSD installed today. For those that don't remember, my OCz SSD crapped out on me, replaced it with a Samsung and things are great.

Seems the model of OCZ that I had has a bunch of issues. I didn't do any research on that front when buying, just bought what was in the store that day because I was in such a hurry to build. Lost a few files, but not many. Thanks for everyone's help. This is a hell of a help for us novice PC-builders.

Here is a pic of the build -

7600642256_534e408c0b_c.jpg

Case?

mkenyon

Banned
Which case do you guys think would be best for gtx 690 sli?
How do you think a cosmos 2 would fare?
Cosmos 2 is good, but there are some other options out there.

You are aware that there are going to be massive game headaches running quad SLI? All sorts of little workarounds and fixes you're going to need to do to make things work properly.

What are the other components? I can help point you in the right direction once I get a feel for it. Otherwise, go back a page and check out the case I posted. Certainly aimed towards watercooling, but it's the bee's knees.
600TSE

*edit*
For 690s, here's how mine fits in my Shinobi XL with an E-ATX motherboard. Plenty of room for a second.

xero273

I'm helping a friend choose a video card. sounds like he wants to pick between the 7850 and gtx 560 ti 448 cores. I looked at reviews and it seems 7850 edges the 560 in a few benchmarks. I assume he should buy the 7850 since the additional ram will most likely help out?

Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm helping a friend choose a video card. sounds like he wants to pick between the 7850 and gtx 560 ti 448 cores. I looked at reviews and it seems 7850 edges the 560 in a few benchmarks. I assume he should buy the 7850 since the additional ram will most likely help out?

Thanks.
Are you confusing the 560Ti with the 560Ti 448 core? Totally shitty naming convention, but 448 core = a 570 that they disabled parts of. It's a better performer than the 7850. RAM *might* help out in next gen games. Otherwise, only needed for multiple monitors or large resolution monitors like 1440p.

xero273

Are you confusing the 560Ti with the 560Ti 448 core? Totally shitty naming convention, but 448 core = a 570 that they disabled parts of. It's a better performer than the 7850. RAM *might* help out in next gen games. Otherwise, only needed for multiple monitors or large resolution monitors like 1440p.

Probably. thanks i'll let my friend know to go with the 560 ti 448 core

mkenyon

Banned
Gonna be a little while. 6 months, maybe more. They're still releasing new 7970 variants, so there's a lot there to work through in terms of cards sold. 6870 -> 7970 is a pretty significant upgrade.

kharma45

Probably. thanks i'll let my friend know to go with the 560 ti 448 core

If he's going to overclock though the 7850 is the better choice, the 560Ti 448 (using the 570 bench here as it's the closest I can get) and 7850 are pretty much identical at stock speeds http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=518 but when overclocked the 7850 is a fair bit better, plus the 12.7 drivers should bring a good performance bump.

For a mid-range card I find it hard to look past the 7850, it's got a great price-to-performance ratio.

catabarez

Can someone help me out with Max Payne 3? I'm trying to figure out the highest settings I can use and still have 60 fps.

I have:

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
8 gb RAM

I seem to keep hitting 30 or lower if I put it on max settings.

Sanic

I'm looking to start upgrading my system, but i'm going to have to go about it somewhat slowly. Right now I have a GTX 460 1GB for my GPU and an Athlon II x4 840 for my cpu. I'm interested in knowing which one I should upgrade first for maximum performance boost. I won't be able to afford the second component for at least a few more months after the first.

mkenyon

Banned
New videocard, buy the best you can afford. Once you have the money, get a 2500K, Z77 motherboard, and a new set of RAM.

Current PSU?

Sanic

New videocard, buy the best you can afford. Once you have the money, get a 2500K, Z77 motherboard, and a new set of RAM.

Current PSU?

Alright, looking to probably go something towards the middle of the road like the 460 was at the time of release. Maybe a $250 budget. 660 should be out soonish, correct?

So my new PC is built and I'm loving it. It is pretty much Gerstmann's PC with a 670 GTX and 16GB RAM.

However, I experienced constant (~10 mins) forced reboots. I think this was due to USB ports being used for the mouse and keyboard. I now have them both wirelessly synched to a single 3.0 slot and the problem hasn't occurred. Is this common? What can I do to prevent this? And how can I diagnose that this is indeed the problem instead of, say, bad RAM.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
aMxvU.png

H4Q6z.png

Made this with the help of the internet + true bro Xero, this. However it totals a little over $1K CDN and still missing windows + keyboard + mouse.

Anyone have suggestions for shaving some money off? Maybe around 1-200 dollars, though with me being in Canada and it being a Mini-ATX that's probably a little limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom