• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

If I go with the 3570 K. How good am I to go with the next generation coming up for games? I know GPUs play a big part, and while I currently only have a 4870, I plan on making the upgrade soon after my 3570 purchase. Just curious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's all on the fans. The fans that come with the Corsair units are ungodly loud.

The stock heatsink can take you to 4.0.

The Noctua pictured above is actually a really good cooler. Should be good for an itx board too with all of that chipset/mosfet heat in a small area.

do the noctuas have controllable speed fans? When I built my gaming PC last year I ended up just running them with a LNA inline at a fixed speed, because they couldn't be controlled from my motherboard. They were nice and quiet though

Does it matter anyway?

Edgeward

·feist·;39992534 said:
When you can't get to the Advanced Boot Menu, there are a few things that can cause that, from keyboard to motherboard. Instead of possibly trying some of the workarounds (like different keys), just run msconfig. Under the boot tab, select which Safe Boot type you want. After you've finished up with your drivers, you'll need to run msconfig again, deselect Safe Boot, then reboot into normal Win.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
do the noctuas have controllable speed fans? When I built my gaming PC last year I ended up just running them with a LNA inline at a fixed speed, because they couldn't be controlled from my motherboard. They were nice and quiet though

Does it matter anyway?
All fans can have controllable speed. It either happens through PWM (pulse wave modulation) which can be easily identified by having 4 pin headers, or through voltage via a voltage regulation controller. The latter requires a fan controller.

To be honest, I hate all of that business and always prefer to buy fans that operate at acceptable noise levels at 100%. Corsair SP/AP Quiet, Noctua NF-F12s, low RPM NoiseBlockers, and Bitfenix Spectre Pros are all almost silent at the full 12V.
If I go with the 3570 K. How good am I to go with the next generation coming up for games? I know GPUs play a big part, and while I currently only have a 4870, I plan on making the upgrade soon after my 3570 purchase. Just curious.
No one knows. We might be able to answer it once we get some benching done on UE4. Probably good though.

guys I have a "TP LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter" and my question is which slot is best for it out of the following slots;

3 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 Bandwidth)

I know these are for the Graphics Card(s);
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 Bandwidth)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
Whichever one doesn't interfere with video card cooling.

I just received my new 27" dell u2711 ultrasharp.

Hooked it up to my old PC to test it and the picture was a total mess, almost impossible to read any text etc. I also managed to count to over 100 dead pixels before I gave up counting. :(
Check the cable?

--------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is looking for a new gaming mouse, SteelSeries Sensei Raw was just released. It's the same amazing piece of kit as the Sensei, just with plastics/rubber instead of aluminum. As a result, it's $59.99 instead of $90

Sensei-comparison_unfolded2-1.jpg

Dries

Hey guys, I'm kinda getting low performance on some games so I want to do a driver sweep and just have a fresh and clean install (specifically: the 12.6 ATI drivers). So does anyone know good software to get rid of all my drivers?

Also: how dangerous is this? If it is, what pre-cautions should I make?

mkenyon

Banned
The cable works just fine with my old screen and I suppose the dead pixels can't be a cable related problem. Think I just have to send it back.
Try a different one, to be sure.

Doesn't it use a dual link DVI?
Hey guys, I'm kinda getting low performance on some games so I want to do a driver sweep and just have a fresh and clean install (specifically: the 12.6 ATI drivers). So does anyone know good software to get rid of all my drivers?

Also: how dangerous is this? If it is, what pre-cautions should I make?
OP, it's Driver Sweeper or CCleaner.

Uninstall through windows add/remove, restart into safe mode and run driver sweeper/ccleaner and clean out anything that says Catalyst or AMD (ATI doesn't exist anymore), then restart again and install latest drivers.

Also make sure the folder they decompress into is deleted.

Dries

OP, it's Driver Sweeper or CCleaner.

Uninstall through windows add/remove, restart into safe mode and run driver sweeper/ccleaner and clean out anything that says Catalyst or AMD (ATI doesn't exist anymore), then restart again and install latest drivers.

Also make sure the folder they decompress into is deleted.

So first just manually uninstall the drivers in windows add/remove, and after that use Driver Sweeper in safe mode? Gotcha.

btw, what do you mean by ''the folder they decompress''? Sorry, pretty much a newbie in this area.

mkenyon

Banned
When you run an installer, it will decompress the files to be installed into a folder. What you can do is run an installer, and when you see it decompress, make a note of it.

All sorts of older files can be mixed in and cause driver installation issues. I'm fairly certain that this is the source of a lot of people's perceived problems with AMD, as well as incorrectly installing/uninstalling drivers.

Otherwise, google should have an answer. Probably something like C:AMD/Drivers or some such thing.

dommynick

Weird issue came up, would appreciate any help. Google'd around, but couldn't get anything conclusive.

I just opened up my PC to dust it out like I do every month or so. After the dusting, I plugged all my cables back in and booted up my computer, but instead of booting like normally, my BIOS prompts me to choose a boot device. This has never happened before, and I don't have it set to do that. So I choose my main drive and go, but nothing happens, just a blank black screen. I tried this a few more times, same thing. Then I tried the "Windows Boot Manager" option, and it booted like normal, and everything seems ok. Is this something I should be worried about? Can I fix this so it will "naturally" boot from my Windows drive?

Pertinent specs are: ASRock Z68 Gen3, Crucial M4 64GB, Windows 7 x64 Home Pro

Thanks again for any help.

mkenyon

Banned
Go into BIOS, make sure that your main OS drive is #1 in the boot device priority list. It might be called something slightly different based upon which motherboard you have, but hopefully that puts you in the right direction.

dommynick

Go into BIOS, make sure that your main OS drive is #1 in the boot device priority list. It might be called something slightly different based upon which motherboard you have, but hopefully that puts you in the right direction.

It had been set up that way, and my PC had been running completely fine. After the dusting, my PC will not boot from my main OS drive anymore. It will only boot from the "Windows Boot Manager" option.

CatPee

Weird issue came up, would appreciate any help. Google'd around, but couldn't get anything conclusive.

I just opened up my PC to dust it out like I do every month or so. After the dusting, I plugged all my cables back in and booted up my computer, but instead of booting like normally, my BIOS prompts me to choose a boot device. This has never happened before, and I don't have it set to do that. So I choose my main drive and go, but nothing happens, just a blank black screen. I tried this a few more times, same thing. Then I tried the "Windows Boot Manager" option, and it booted like normal, and everything seems ok. Is this something I should be worried about? Can I fix this so it will "naturally" boot from my Windows drive?

Pertinent specs are: ASRock Z68 Gen3, Crucial M4 64GB, Windows 7 x64 Home Pro

Thanks again for any help.

Happened to me a while back too while I was doing some cable management. Do what mkenyon said. Turns out that the USB flash drive I had stuck in got #1 priority in the boot device list for some reason.

Saw a 7850 is down to $219 with no rebate+free shipping on newegg. But it's a Visiontek. decent brand? Where are they based?

Also, a Visiontek 7970 for $370 with 6 free games at Tiger Direct/Circuit City. Damn damn good deal. Not sure about Visiontek but it seems to be a reference design anyway

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3419957&CatId=7387

You might be able to sell all the games on ebay for like $50, bringing your cost to $320 for a 7970.

Amazing deals from AMD these days, sad they have to do this to move product.

mkenyon

Banned
It had been set up that way, and my PC had been running completely fine. After the dusting, my PC will not boot from my main OS drive anymore. It will only boot from the "Windows Boot Manager" option.
Check again. Probably got reset during the unplugging/replugging, happens all of the time.

dommynick

Check again. Probably got reset during the unplugging/replugging, happens all of the time.

Just checked it, it's set to Windows Boot Manager, as I set it that way. PC will not boot if I set my boot order to have my OS drive first, or if I manually select it off a prompt. It will only boot off of Windows Boot Manager. I don't have any USB drives plugged in.

dommynick

I thought you said that you unplugged everything?

Do you have any flash drives or external drives that are plugged in?

Ah, when I said that, I meant I unplugged the cords in the back. Like power, ethernet, etc. No flash drives or externals.

After some more googling, something may have happened to my master boot record, or something like that. I'm not sure I want to mess with it, considering my computer seems to be working fine. But it's one of those things that's kind of picking at me that I'd like to fix.

Is there a way to manually assign numbers to my displays? My TV is plugged in with HDMI and is always number 1 with the desktop DVI monitor coming up as number 2.

It's getting annoying having games open on the 'first' screen even when it isn't turned on.

vocab

What is the next logical cpu upgrade from an I5-750? I'm beginning to think all my low minimum fps issues are because of my processor.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there a way to manually assign numbers to my displays? My TV is plugged in with HDMI and is always number 1 with the desktop DVI monitor coming up as number 2.

It's getting annoying having games open on the 'first' screen even when it isn't turned on.
Click 'make this my primary display' for the one you want to be your primary display.

What is the next logical cpu upgrade from an I5-750? I'm beginning to think all my low minimum fps issues are because of my processor.
Overclock it. It's still a great processor. Shoot for the 4.0Ghz range if possible.

cackhyena

Click 'make this my primary display' for the one you want to be your primary display.

Overclock it. It's still a great processor. Shoot for the 4.0Ghz range if possible.
So what does doing that mean for someone? Like, whatever my future 3570 is set at. If I bump it up a few notches like that to 4.0Ghz or whatever it can reach, what am I getting for that? Honestly have no clue.

vocab

I dont know how viable that's gonna be with the current temps im getting in the summer time. It's 98 degrees outside, and the ambient temps in my room without AC is 90-100 easily.

I'm getting 55C on Idle. I'm not running stock heatsink either.

mkenyon

Banned
Games that are heavily CPU bound, such as UE3 games or SC2 require really high clocks to maintain a solid framerate.

On a i5, you have four cores/threads that programs can use. For all intents and purposes, lets imagine this as four different processors. Starcraft has to compute all of the back-end non-graphical stuff. The way the engine is made, it only uses one of your cores to do so. Essentially, 3/4 of your processor is going unused at this point.

The way to compensate for this very widespread issue is to make the cores super super speedy. 'Turbo Boost' is a built in way to do this, as in the backend, your processor will know that only a single core is being used. It will then downclock the other cores and overclock the single core in order to give better performance.

"If it's already being done for me, why would I want to do this?", a normal person would ask.

Overclocking the entire processor is doing the same thing, except to a larger degree and with *all* of the cores. Games based on the UE3 engine use two threads/cores, so 'Turbo Boost' won't have that same positive effect with it as it would single-threaded applications.

With people who are a gen or two behind on processors, overclocking is a fairly easy way to get additional linear performance in the range of 20-35%, and it only costs you some time and maybe an aftermarket CPU cooler.

With people on SB/IB/SB-E, the reason why it is suggested is because is so freaking easy. You literally change two values in BIOS and all of a sudden your processor is 20-40% faster, with almost no negative side effects.

Those games that were once CPU bound will all of a sudden perform like they should because you have the processor resources available to do so.
I dont know how viable that's gonna be with the current temps im getting in the summer time. It's 98 degrees outside, and the ambient temps in my room without AC is 90-100 easily.

I'm getting 55C on Idle. I'm not running stock heatsink either.
Idle doesn't mean a whole lot. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were in the 80s on load. What cooler are you using?

mkenyon

Banned
Works fine on mine. Running a BenQ XL2420 as #2, and a Crossover as #1 in portrait mode. Games never pop up on the Crossover.
4. I just hit 85-88C on a full run of Unigine.
Advice would be to maybe clean out your computer, and take a look at the types of fans on the case as well as the cooler. Maybe even reseat your heatsink.

If that sounds like too much of a hassle, and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then you could certainly upgrade to IB/SB. Would require mobo/cpu, and possibly RAM. Depends on whether its rated for 1.65 or 1.5V.
What might those be?
If done properly (and it's hard to screw up), it might mean your processor's life is reduced to 10-15 years instead of 20.

If done improperly, the worst that is going to happen is random blue screens. There are so many built in safety mechanisms that it's essentially impossible to fry it.

It will also consume more power, and generate more heat. Neither of those things are too much of an issue though.

MrBig

Works fine on mine. Running a BenQ XL2420 as #2, and a Crossover as #1 in portrait mode. Games never pop up on the Crossover.

Yes that will solve what screen full screen applications default to, but as soon as you connect your TV, if it's #1 everything will be transferred to it.

AFAIK the numbering is hardware/firmware defined and there's no way to change it.

Dries

Holy crap, that driver sweep wasn't in vain. It gained me an extra 10 fps in every game! Thanks so much, mkenyon! Still wondering though, what do those ATI drivers do that causes my initial lower fps?

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap, that driver sweep wasn't in vain. It gained me an extra 10 fps in every game! Thanks so much, mkenyon! Still wondering though, what do those ATI drivers do that causes my initial lower fps?
No prob! If your drivers were out of date, then they are constantly doing tweaks to give better performance in games.

Otherwise, it's way above my head to answer. I can put them together, but I sure as hell don't know how to program.
Yes that will solve what screen full screen applications default to, but as soon as you connect your TV, if it's #1 everything will be transferred to it.

AFAIK the numbering is hardware/firmware defined and there's no way to change it.
I didn't see where he was saying it only happens when he plugs it in. This was unknown to me though, thanks for the tip.

vocab

Advice would be to maybe clean out your computer, and take a look at the types of fans on the case as well as the cooler. Maybe even reseat your heatsink.

If that sounds like too much of a hassle, and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then you could certainly upgrade to IB/SB. Would require mobo/cpu, and possibly RAM. Depends on whether its rated for 1.65 or 1.5V.

What would be the best bang for buck combo? I will try to reseat the heatsink in the meantime. What is good thermal paste as well because ill probably have to reapply some better shit.

mkenyon

Banned
2500K + Z77, Biostar E3, ASRock Pro 4, or Asus -LK for the motherboard. OP has the exact model names.

Everything pales in comparison to Phobya HeGrease. It has solid performance on poor, moderate, and great mounting. Plus it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Available through Performance PC's or Frozen CPU.
Ah, so the need for some cooler beyond the fans built into the Fractal R3 case I'm getting would probably be necessary. Thanks for all the help, man.
Yeah, that's why we suggest the CM212+ in the OP with almost all of the builds. And no prob :p

f3niks

I'm just looking to upgrade my CPU, GPU, case, increase RAM and PSU (if needed.) Any help would be appreciated.

Current Specs: Core i7 920 2.6Ghz / 6GB DDR3 / X58 SLI LE Socket 1366 X58 ATX / ATI Radeon 5850 / 1000 Watt ATX Modular
Budget: $800 + USA
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation, Video Editing, HD Streaming, Photo editing, 3D work, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 1080p Most game playing is done on TV and I'm getting a new 26 inch monitor
When will you build?: In the next week or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

mkenyon

Banned
I'm just looking to upgrade my CPU, GPU, case, increase RAM and PSU (if needed.) Any help would be appreciated.

Current Specs: Core i7 920 2.6Ghz / 6GB DDR3 / X58 SLI LE Socket 1366 X58 ATX / ATI Radeon 5850 / 1000 Watt ATX Modular
Budget: $800 + USA
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation, Video Editing, HD Streaming, Photo editing, 3D work, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 1080p Most game playing is done on TV and I'm getting a new 26 inch monitor
When will you build?: In the next week or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe
If the multimedia stuff is really important, for business and the like, you might want to consider a 3930K and an X79 motherboard.

Otherwise, go with a 3770K and the rest of the goodies from the 'Excellent' category.

In either case, 16GB RAM is a good bet. 32GB if you want to go all out on the 3930K/X79. Pending sticker shock survival, if you have more questions about specific parts with that, let me know.

Salsa

I dont wanna spam the same thing but more opinions would go a long way since im still deciding this.

So: changing my 26', 1360x768 HDTV for a 23' LED 1080p monitor = yay, right? talking about the resolution bump being worth the hit I'll take on performance.

Took about 90 minutes but everything seems to be good to go! Installing Windows 7 and all the drivers now. Should be playing some steam games tonight!

OK, looks like I need some help.

When I hook both cables from the power supply to the GTX 570 the computer will not boot.

Any idea what is going on?

Here is what I have minus the CPU cooler, I decided to just use the stock one. Also I went with a 2TB WD Black HD

7eWp0.png

gV8Ts.png
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying it *will* boot when the 570 isn't plugged in, but will not if it is?

Correct.When the power from the power supply is plugged into the 570 I get nothing on the screen when I boot, even from the on board graphics. When I unplug the power to the 570 it boots fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom