• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Correct.When the power from the power supply is plugged into the 570 I get nothing on the screen when I boot, even from the on board graphics. When I unplug the power to the 570 it boots fine.
1) Is the display cord plugged into the 570 instead of the onboard?
2) Is the PCI-E connector plugged all the way into the PSU and all the way into the 570? Force that bitch hard.
3) You certain you are using the PCI-E cable?

1) Is the display cord plugged into the 570 instead of the onboard?
2) Is the PCI-E connector plugged all the way into the PSU and all the way into the 570? Force that bitch hard.
3) You certain you are using the PCI-E cable?

1. Nope, it is plugged into onboard

2. Yes, firmly connected.

3. Yes, and a second cable from the power supply. The 570 has 2 6 socket power ports.

Clydefrog

If you want display from the 570, why is your display cord plugged into the onboard?

In other news, I just bought a 670! woohoo it comes tomorrow

vocab

Fucking christ. My CPU fan is dead. It keeps going on and off. Whats a cheap replacement I can get? The one I bought was only like 6 months old.

MrBig

Yeah, the mobo likely switched the primary display driver to PCIe when you plugged in your 570, resulting in no image since nothing is being output by the iGPU, if that's what you did.

mkenyon

Banned
The error is in something not being seated, or a cable not being where it should be. Unplug everything, reseat the video card, and plug everything back in.

Your BIOS will automatically disable the onboard. If you want both, unplug the 570, put DVI back to onboard. Boot into BIOS, and for onboard display device, switch it from 'auto' to 'on'.

Then you can boot into windows with the 570 plugged in and see if you can work your magic there after you install display drivers.

The error is in something not being seated, or a cable not being where it should be. Unplug everything, reseat the video card, and plug everything back in.

Your BIOS will automatically disable the onboard. If you want both, unplug the 570, put DVI back to onboard. Boot into BIOS, and for onboard display device, switch it from 'auto' to 'on'.

Then you can boot into windows with the 570 plugged in and see if you can work your magic there after you install display drivers.

OK will try that after windows update finished. So you don't think the power supply just doesn't have enough juice for the card? Thanks to you all for your help with this.

TheBear

Hey guys, finally booted up my copy of Saints Row 3 and noticed some really slight stuttering with the graphics, especially when driving cars. It's too minor for a framedrop to be noticed in fraps, but it is definitely noticeable. Like a few frames are being missed or something. Any idea on what this is and how to fix it?
Should've mentioned I'm using a 560Ti

Monarch

Banned
So I have a weird thing occuring with my Asus GTX 570 Direct CU2. When I play a game or a video (be it direct feed from the HDD or Youtube) I've got some red tiny lines (2-3 pixels height) flickering through the TV screen, when I'm just on Windows, idle, it stays clean. I'm using a brand new HDMI cable also.
What I tried to lock down the issue was:
-Hook up the PC via DVI to a dedicated PC monitor (1600*1050 pixel) => nothing (games or video)
-Using the IGP from the 2500K => same, no red lines during video playback
-Reseted factory clocks and voltage (was OC a bit)
-Installed latest drivers from Nvidia => still those annoying red lines.

Could it be the HDMI on my card going bananas :( ?

I'm running a i5 3570k overclocked with the stock cooler at 4200mhz and the temperatures are always below 60º at full load - is this totally safe or is it still recommended to buy a better cpu cooler?

I'm also a newbie to overclock. In order to reach 4200mhz, is it enough (and recommended) to only increase the multiplier to 42x, without tweaking any other setting?

Also, is it really worth to go beyond 4200mhz? (I'm using a GTX 670, btw).

metalshade

This is my completed build I think.
My wife just surprised me with a transfer to my account and said I should stop fretting and GO for it!
Just want to make sure it's good by you guys.
Using for lots of gaming and HD streaming.
Will overclock fairly soon I reckon, hence the non stock CPU cooler and P67 Mobo.
Am I good to go with submitting my orders guys?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Processor 6MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed £145 CCL Computers
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£72.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
GPU: MSI HD 6870 OC AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB £120 Scan.co.uk
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.19 @ CCL Computers)
Case: XClio Godspeed Two Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply (£53.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (£43.42 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.77 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £670 ish.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Is there anyway to keep your HDD from "sleep" mode. I have a 1tb secondary HDD, and my SSD as the main. Is there anyway to keep the 1tb from sleeping so it doesn't take 5-10secs to load up.

metalshade

I'd change the mobo to a biostar TZ77B or Asus P8Z77-V LK, a ~500w PSU, and a better case.

Dont think I can afford to do that though. Better Mobo adds another £30 to my listing.
But the smaller PSU shaved a few quid off thanks.
Can I get away with the Mobo I had chosen, will it be a problem?

cametall

Is there anyway to keep your HDD from "sleep" mode. I have a 1tb secondary HDD, and my SSD as the main. Is there anyway to keep the 1tb from sleeping so it doesn't take 5-10secs to load up.

My mechanical does the same thing. I can hear it sleep and wake up too ... all grouchy and everything!

MrBig

Dont think I can afford to do that though. Better Mobo adds another £30 to my listing.
But the smaller PSU shaved a few quid off thanks.
Can I get away with the Mobo I had chosen, will it be a problem?

You will have to flash the bios to make it compatible with the Ivy cpu revision if you don't go with Z77.

Yea, it bugs me, takes like 10 secs to load up.

Yes, go into the power settings menu, then go into your power plan and click advanced, and find the HDD power options.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Got my new SSD installed today. For those that don't remember, my OCz SSD crapped out on me, replaced it with a Samsung and things are great.

Seems the model of OCZ that I had has a bunch of issues. I didn't do any research on that front when buying, just bought what was in the store that day because I was in such a hurry to build. Lost a few files, but not many. Thanks for everyone's help. This is a hell of a help for us novice PC-builders.

Here is a pic of the build -

7600642256_534e408c0b_c.jpg

The Rizza

I recently purchased a new desktop and the keyboard that came with it is terrible. I've been looking at mechanical keyboards and I like the Das Keyboard Model S. Anyone recommend that keyboard or have any other recommendations?

clav

I recently purchased a new desktop and the keyboard that came with it is terrible. I've been looking at mechanical keyboards and I like the Das Keyboard Model S. Anyone recommend that keyboard or have any other recommendations?

Cooler Master QuickFire keyboards: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068INSUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Newegg Rosewill keyboards. I don't know if the $64 sale is still going on: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/771...e-freebies-cherry-mx-brown-red-or-blue-switch

As for switch, I like the blues very much as I type a lot and game some.

cametall

I use one of the loud blank DAS keyboards (MX Blue) at home. Very high quality.

At work I use a Leopold (MX Blue) quality is decent but you can tell there's a difference between it and the DAS.

I'd recommend either brand.

But only awesome people use the blank DAS keyboards ... you're an awesome person right?

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you mkenyon! that worked! installing the drivers now!
No prob.
Hey guys, finally booted up my copy of Saints Row 3 and noticed some really slight stuttering with the graphics, especially when driving cars. It's too minor for a framedrop to be noticed in fraps, but it is definitely noticeable. Like a few frames are being missed or something. Any idea on what this is and how to fix it?
Should've mentioned I'm using a 560Ti
Processor?

Also, this is totally random, but I remember reading a post by you in the Android thread about a good game to play that is in the strategy vein. I was on my Note, and got distracted. Seeing your name reminded me.

You need to play Star Traders RPG Elite. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but this game at it's core is a hardcore turn based strategy game. There is no better game on android, and might be a contender for my favorite single player game on any platform for the last few years.
I'm running a i5 3570k overclocked with the stock cooler at 4200mhz and the temperatures are always below 60º at full load - is this totally safe or is it still recommended to buy a better cpu cooler?

I'm also a newbie to overclock. In order to reach 4200mhz, is it enough (and recommended) to only increase the multiplier to 42x, without tweaking any other setting?

Also, is it really worth to go beyond 4200mhz? (I'm using a GTX 670, btw).
Multiplier + voltage. It is in some games. T:A needs 4.5Ghz to get a stable 120FPS.

What are you using to determine 'under load'? 60s seems really really low for a stock heatsink at 4.2GHz.
Anyone got a good idea on what brand of Nvidia 570 to get around 250-300 bucks? I'm leaning towards the MSI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682

But I dunno! D: Thanks for any help!
Did a quick browsing without even clicking your link, and I picked the same one. Definitely the way to go.
Rosewill and Coolermaster Quickfire Rapids are both rebranded Filcos, which is a good thing. If you don't use a numpad, definitely a Quickfire Rapid Red/Brown or Leopold Tenkeyless Red/Brown. Tenkeyless makes gaming so much better, I actually ended up buying a fullsize leopold red to compliment my tenkeyless leopold red for when I need to do remote access work.

dyna-soar

Ndt7a.png

My new build, gonna buy the parts from Newegg this time. Still kinda looking for places I could trim on, I was thinking about going down to 4 gb of ram but I just don't want to be shorthanded when it comes to ram when all these new games come out.

mkenyon

Banned
If you need to trim, save up more. Get a 2500K if steady FPS is really important to you. Otherwise, just go with an i3. Upgrade to 2500/2600/3570/3770 at a later date.

dyna-soar

If you need to trim, save up more. Get a 2500K if steady FPS is really important to you. Otherwise, just go with an i3. Upgrade to 2500/2600/3570/3770 at a later date.

Well, that's the other thing I don't want to trim too much and not be able current and next gen games, I know the build I have setup isn't the greatest. But I would at least like to be able to play next gen games on medium graphics.

mkenyon

Banned
No one knows what will be required for that. In most multi threaded games, there isn't a substantial difference of performance between non-K i5s and i3s. If you want to be decently prepared for next gen, a much better bet is a processor that can clock to 4.2-4.5 GHz. If you can't afford that now, go i3 and save up for when you start feeling the hurt.

Pulled the trigger tonight on the BenQ 24" 120hz. I look forward to seeing what buzz is about. Currently I am on a 4 y/o 32" Sony Bravia XBR and the picture quality for PC hook up just isn't up to snuff. Loosing 8" but hopefully gaining a lot in picture quality.

TheBear

Processor?

Also, this is totally random, but I remember reading a post by you in the Android thread about a good game to play that is in the strategy vein. I was on my Note, and got distracted. Seeing your name reminded me.

You need to play Star Traders RPG Elite. I'm not a huge RPG guy, but this game at it's core is a hardcore turn based strategy game. There is no better game on android, and might be a contender for my favorite single player game on any platform for the last few years.

Wow, good memory thanks dude! I will check it out now! And my processor is a AMD Phenom Black (?)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There's a big ole box of computer parts on my doorstep! Won't be home for another two hours or so but I can't wait!

Smokey

Pulled the trigger tonight on the BenQ 24" 120hz. I look forward to seeing what buzz is about. Currently I am on a 4 y/o 32" Sony Bravia XBR and the picture quality for PC hook up just isn't up to snuff. Loosing 8" but hopefully gaining a lot in picture quality.

If you've got the system to push close to 120fps you're gonna be amazed. You'll even notice a difference in regular desktop use.

No prob.
Multiplier + voltage. It is in some games. T:A needs 4.5Ghz to get a stable 120FPS.

What are you using to determine 'under load'? 60s seems really really low for a stock heatsink at 4.2GHz.

I'm using Prime95 Small FFT right now and the temperatures I'm getting, after 10 minutes, are 56-57º. Also, there is nothing fancy about my cabinet: it's not big and I'm only using two coolers (one in the front and one in the back).

About the overclock itself, I'm not manually changing the voltage, but I guess this is done automatically. My Vcore, when the CPU is under load, is 1,184V (and nothing more) - is it safe or do I need to change the voltage manually?

EDIT: It seems like the Asus Monitor Sensor, which I was using, is giving very different tempeatures compared to RealTemp. (57º vs almost 90º). I guess I should trust RealTemp and get a better cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom