• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviyoung

Banned
the thing is ive forgot to buy cables for it to connect to my motherboard can someone show me what cables i need to buy, this is m HDD

All new HDDs are SATA now, I think all drives are SATA nowadays. Do they even make motherboards with IDE slots any more?

Anyway, you need these cables:

416IIjhUqKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

SATA 3.0

Thomper

I recently bought a new computer and I feel it makes sliiightly more noise than I'm happy with. Mostly because I feel as if one of the fans is slightly off and thus making more noise than it should be, or something. I only have my browser open at the moment but it's still at about 40 decibels.

This is the case: http://www.salland.eu/product/1118586
And this is the fan: http://www.salland.eu/product/1081875

Am I just being ridiculously paranoid or is the noise level of my computer too high?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I recently bought a new computer and I feel it makes sliiightly more noise than I'm happy with. Mostly because I feel as if one of the fans is slightly off and thus making more noise than it should be, or something. I only have my browser open at the moment but it's still at about 40 decibels.

This is the case: http://www.salland.eu/product/1118586
And this is the fan: http://www.salland.eu/product/1081875

Am I just being ridiculously paranoid or is the noise level of my computer too high?
Different people have different tolerances. Also some people put towers on their desk, or under them, etc.

The CM212 fan does a good job, but can be replaced as it can be a bit loud sometimes.
Check MSI Afterburner to turn down your GPU fan (and set up a profile) to see if you can pin point which fan is making the most noise for you, then go ahead and replace it.

Are you talking about the Fractal? The drive trays on the Arc Midi are not plastic, and work amazingly well. The top bays use good old fashioned screws like they should. It also looks very clean and understated despite the mesh.

No, on the CM690II which is made by cool master. He said I should look at the first two that was fractal and the CM690II.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I got a new 16:9 monitor and decided to keep my 5:4 monitor plugged in for some dual monitor goodness. However, when I did this I noticed that my cpu and gpu temperatures went up about 5-8 degrees at idle. I don't think they got much hotter than they usually do while actually playing a game but I was just wondering if this is normal.

Running in multi-monitor forces your GPU to run in P0 mode, so the temps will rise slightly(less than 10 degrees).

Install nvidia inspector and run Multi display power saving mode with your games on the full 3D applications tab.

Of course now you will have an nvidia inspector exe running 24/7 when i had 2GB ram this actually bothered me.
Now i have 16GB so nvidia inspector running 24/7 doesnt matter.

P.S Your temperatures are fine.

P.P.S P0 mode is the mode your graphics card goes to when its clocks run at full speed and the voltage goes to game mode, so this might be annoying if you are overclocked, it feels like a waste of power(it is)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hello robots. Help me please.

I own a single, factory OC'd GTX 570. I love it. However, I have made the discovery that my monitor is capable of custom resolution downsampling, allowing me to play at 2560x1920 downsampled to 1080p. Nice IQ, but as you can expect it really hurts my framerates.

My tax return is due next week. So I'm thinking, would it be worth grabbing a second GTX 570? Would running the two in SLI give me the performance boost I crave?

mxgt

Banned

I own a single, factory OC'd GTX 570. I love it. However, I have made the discovery that my monitor is capable of custom resolution downsampling, allowing me to play at 2560x1920 downsampled to 1080p. Nice IQ, but as you can expect it really hurts my framerates.

My tax return is due next week. So I'm thinking, would it be worth grabbing a second GTX 570? Would running the two in SLI give me the performance boost I crave?

What PSU do you have? it'll certainly boost performance a lot but make sure your PSU has enough wattage to support it.

Black_Stride

I think with that res you would probably run out of Vram anyway.(depends on the game i guess)

But yeah a second 570 will def give you some boost in perforance, whether it will perform as greatly as you think it will, i dont think so.

What games are you playing at 2560 x 1440(im assuming thats the res you were actually talking about). Cuz i play at 2560 x 1440 with a GTX570 too, and i tested to see what games actually benefitted from SLI 570 at 2560 x 1440 and i found that:
Rage, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Alan Wake, Split/Second, Batman AC and Just Cause 2 performed pretty much the same....they still choked.

Games where the second GTX actually helped quite a bit:
Assassins Creed: Revelations - Looks beautiful downsampled
Driver SF
FEAR - all of them
Mass Effect 3
Trine 2
Space Marine
RFG
Binary Domain - Not a huge improvement.
Battlefield 3 - weird one, sometimes it worked well sometimes not, i think the drivers i had installed were borked or something

I made a whole excel sheet about this when i tested it, ill look through my computer and if i find it ill post it up so you can see some of the gains and some of the none-gains.

Running in multi-monitor forces your GPU to run in P0 mode, so the temps will rise slightly(less than 10 degrees).

Install nvidia inspector and run Multi display power saving mode with your games on the full 3D applications tab.

Of course now you will have an nvidia inspector exe running 24/7 when i had 2GB ram this actually bothered me.
Now i have 16GB so nvidia inspector running 24/7 doesnt matter.

P.S Your temperatures are fine.

P.P.S P0 mode is the mode your graphics card goes to when its clocks run at full speed and the voltage goes to game mode, so this might be annoying if you are overclocked, it feels like a waste of power(it is)

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad my temps are fine, I'm a bit new to PC building and that's one thing I've been worried about.

And thanks for the tip about Nvidia Inspector, everything's all good now.

rogue74

Looking to upgrade from an AMD Athlon X4 635 to Intel Ivy Bridge. I may want to do some simple overclocking (up to about 4ghz), nothing too crazy. Looking through the available Z77 motherboards, the Biostar TZ77B caught my eye due to price. I can't find any reviews on it. However, the internet is littered with reviews of the TZ77XE3.

I can't tell if the extra $$$ it for the E3. I never plan to do an SLI or Crossfire setup. Is that the only capability the cheaper model lacks?

mkenyon

Banned
No, on the CM690II which is made by cool master. He said I should look at the first two that was fractal and the CM690II.
The plastic trays are really well designed. They also allow you to use only as many as you need, getting the rest out of the way of airflow.

Specific docks for SSDs is a gimmick. You Can put them anywhere on your case, such as the bottom of the optical bay or behind the motherboard tray, with double sided tape.

It will. SLI profiles can cause headaches if you're unhappy about having to teat different settings for a new game that doesn't have any yet. Tribes: Ascend, for example, just got SLI profiles in the last beta drivers. Had to create my own custom profile for it that I was using since November.

Dual cards will always have an edge over single cards at really high resolutions. Its the thing that SLI and Crossfire is tailored for. If your PSU can handle it, and you don't mind fiddling with settings in the NVIDIA control panel, a second 570 would be your best best.
Looking to upgrade from an AMD Athlon X4 635 to Intel Ivy Bridge. I may want to do some simple overclocking (up to about 4ghz), nothing too crazy. Looking through the available Z77 motherboards, the Biostar TZ77B caught my eye due to price. I can't find any reviews on it. However, the internet is littered with reviews of the TZ77XE3.

I can't tell if the extra $$$ it for the E3. I never plan to do an SLI or Crossfire setup. Is that the only capability the cheaper model lacks?
It has some limited overclocking features that would likely lead to higher volts rrequired. That means reduced top end and increased temps throughout the range.

*edit
Please excuse typos. Nexus 7 certainly can't replace my keyboard. Just too damn nice out to be inside this morning.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think with that res you would probably run out of Vram anyway.(depends on the game i guess)

This. Earlier in the year, I was considering another 570 myself, but 1.28GB VRAM really is more on the short side these days (especially if you're going to be downsampling), so I decided I'd eventually flog it off and import two 670s instead. It's a pity the 2.56GB GTX 570s didn't see release here (Australia).

mkenyon

Banned
This. Earlier in the year, I was considering another 570 myself, but 1.28GB VRAM really is more on the short side these days (especially if you're going to be downsampling), so I decided I'd eventually flog it off and import two 670s instead. It's a pity the 2.56GB GTX 570s didn't see release here (Australia).
I think its fairly evident that $800 in video cards would perform better than spending $250.

You'll likely run out of VRAM in big, open world games. What that means is random hitching as it loads more textures. Far Cry 3, Sky rim with mods, and BF3 would be examples of where you will run into this.

Tess3ract

Banned
I like how they're adding more ram to graphics cards lately but really, where's my 8GB of Vram and why don't we have it already? It's just faster ram isn't it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think its fairly evident that $800 in video cards would perform better than spending $250.

What? I was clearly talking about VRAM specifically, not overall performance. Moving from the 1.28GB GTX 570 to the 2GB GTX 670, which also happens to be notably faster, is simply the most logical step forward.

Thraktor

If there's one thing to take from my long answer, it's to buy a motherboard based on the Z77 chipset (and with 4 RAM slots). Gives you much better upgrade opportunities down the road. The ASRock Z77 Pro3 is $95 on Newegg, if you need to save money for it drop the DVD drive, nobody uses optical media anymore, anyway.

Eiolon

I finished my build last night. I decided to go back later to do a better job with cable management so I could get time to test it out.

My impressions:

Lian Li Lancool PC-K9BW case - I chose this case because of the minimalistic and clean style to it. I wish it had a top fan though. Cable managment option is decent. Lots of drive bays since I'll need them. No removable motherboard tray. Fingerprint magnet.

Intel Core i5-3570k - not much to say on this, other than I probably need to reapply the thermal paste or use better stuff than what came with the CM 212+. I was in a raid in WoW and my temps peaked at 49c. Idle I sit at 35c. I will have to run Prime95 later.

Cooler Master 212+ HSF - again, I will have to reapply the thermal paste. When putting the retention bracket on it moved the HSF around a little so that is probably the issue. But it appears to be more quiet than my case fans.

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 - bought this board mainly because it seemed to get consistant reviews, even for ASRock, whom most people hate, and it was all black which I really liked. I don't really plan on overclocking any time soon. One thing I noticed was the first DIMM slot is too close to the 212+ HSF so I cannot put a RAM stick in it. Glad I only got the 8GB set and not the 16GB. This was advertised as an ATX board but it's slightly smaller than a typical one. I had to move my standoffs around.

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 - It's RAM. It's black. It's got good reviews. And it works so far...

Crucial M4 128GB SSD - Crazy fast. World of Warcraft installed in 30 minutes, usually takes me an hour. From the second I hit the power button on the PC, I am at the Windows login screen in 7 seconds.

EVGA GTX 670 - haven't had time to stretch is legs yet. Just played some WoW. It's quiet and top temp I got in my WoW raid was 65c.

SeaSonic M12II 620W modular PSU - This is semi-modular. The 12v 8pin connector cable was too short so I had to buy an extension, but that's because of where ASRock placed it on the motherboard and how my cable management flows.

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x DVD+/-RW Drive - nothing special. I really just bought it because it had an all black faceplate and no white logos that stood out.

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid mechanical keyboard - on the fence with this. It has good response time but I don't like the clacking. I am hoping I get used to it or I will probably ditch it. But the build quality is very good.

Dell U2412M monitor - kind of disappointed. I am going to have to get it calibrated. I have a 2407 at work and the colors look much more vibrant. This monitor makes everything look washed out. If calibration does not fix, I'll probably get the U2410 since it was only $100 more.

build2012-1.jpg

build2012-2.jpg

build2012-3.jpg

build2012-4.jpg

Black_Stride

I think its fairly evident that $800 in video cards would perform better than spending $250

You'll likely run out of VRAM in big, open world games. What that means is random hitching as it loads more textures. Far Cry 3, Sky rim with mods, and BF3 would be examples of where you will run into this.

As i said in my post, some games really benefit from it, but 1.2GB of VRam at 2560 x 1440 runs out so fast in a number of games that it doesnt seem worth it.

I tested it out borrowing a friends 570 and at 2560 x 1440 SLI GTX570s just isnt enough in games like: Rage, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Alan Wake, Split/Second, Batman AC and Just Cause 2.

The games ran better no doubt, but it didnt feel like 300 dollars better, where as im sure selling off the GTX570 and getting a GTX670 would feel alot more comfortable at 2560x1440

I like how they're adding more ram to graphics cards lately but really, where's my 8GB of Vram and why don't we have it already? It's just faster ram isn't it?

8GBs of Vram?
There is no game out right now that chews up anywhere near 8GBs of Vram playing at 4K resolutions doesnt kill 8GB of Vram.....the reason it doesnt exist yet is mainly because we dont need it.

mkenyon

Banned
Intel Core i5-3570k - not much to say on this, other than I probably need to reapply the thermal paste or use better stuff than what came with the CM 212+. I was in a raid in WoW and my temps peaked at 49c. Idle I sit at 35c. I will have to run Prime95 later.

Cooler Master 212+ HSF - again, I will have to reapply the thermal paste. When putting the retention bracket on it moved the HSF around a little so that is probably the issue. But it appears to be more quiet than my case fans.

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid mechanical keyboard - on the fence with this. It has good response time but I don't like the clacking. I am hoping I get used to it or I will probably ditch it. But the build quality is very good.
First things first, looks good!

What seems off about the temps to you? Temps look right on to me.

I'd send back the keyboard and get the Red version from CMStore direct. Cherry Reds are a *lot* more quiet. The only noise is by bottoming out the keys really, which you will learn not to do the more you use the keyboard.
8GBs of Vram?
There is no game out right now that chews up anywhere near 8GBs of Vram playing at 4K resolutions doesnt kill 8GB of Vram.....the reason it doesnt exist yet is mainly because we dont need it.
This pretty much. There are very few games that use above 1.5GB at 1080, and very few that use above 2GB at higher resolutions.

Last I saw, I think it was about $30-40 per GB of DDR5 VRAM. Adding a few hundred dollars to the price of videocards for no reason isn't really something people are interested in.

Tess3ract

Banned

It takes time for thermal paste to cure, usually at least 72 hours or so.

8GBs of Vram?
When you're modding games and using supersampling and AA and all that good stuff, you'll be glad when you have more ram than you think you'll need.

Looks great man!

Your temps look fine to me, and I have the same Proc and cooler (Though I have the EVO version with the direct contact bottom). Running Prime95 for me made my peak temp like 60c under 100% load for 10 minutes. Stock clock.

Ocho

My EVGA 670 FTW runs maxes at 85 degrees when playing games like Batttlfield 3. I suppose there's not much room to overclock at these temps?

Black_Stride

When you're modding games and using supersampling and AA and all that good stuff, you'll be glad when you have more ram than you think you'll need.

Your graphics card will run out of steam before you run out of Vram.
8Gbs is overkilling the overkill.

If you were telling me you are simply rendering scenes for production or whatever, not particularly worried about framerates then yeah sure 8GB "might" sound useful.

Today there is no game and no logical mod that comes close to 8GB of Vram......now im sure someone out there is thinking of replacing every single texture in DarkSiders 2 with an 8K res textures, but thats just not logical.

mkenyon

Banned
My EVGA 670 FTW runs maxes at 85 degrees when playing games like Batttlfield 3. I suppose there's not much room to overclock at these temps?
That's really toasty, considering Kepler automatically scales back performance once it hits 70C. Is it not getting air? Custom fan profile?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks guys. The temptation of 1440p is why I considered SLI, but given the VRAM issues I might just hold off. I'm not really in a position to consistently upgrade and it's not like this PC is old. So I might hold off on the second 570 (unless I score one stupid cheap) and just do a bigger, better single upgrade in a year or two.

Meohsix

Hello PC gaf. long story short, my grandfather wants to get me a new Desktop, i suggested buying the parts and putting it together myself, but hes totally against it. so i have no other choice than to go the prebuilt route.

another hitch is that when it comes to computers im more of a software guy than a hardware guy. so looking at all these specs leave me completely puzzled.

Can someone help me find a good desktop in the $650 range?
i mostly web browse, some photoshop work, and i know at that price range im not going to be playing Crysis 2 at 1080p 80fps max settings, but being able to play minecraft or portal2 at normal or high settings without crashing would be a step up from what i have now.

i was looking at this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2546169&CatId=114

to me the specs look ok... but like i said i know next to nothing.
i AM a little bummed that the MAX ram is 8GB. i was hoping to start with 8GB and be able to upgrade down the road. but with that PC i wouldn't be able to.

any help?

CatPee

Thanks guys. The temptation of 1440p is why I considered SLI, but given the VRAM issues I might just hold off. I'm not really in a position to consistently upgrade and it's not like this PC is old. So I might hold off on the second 570 (unless I score one stupid cheap) and just do a bigger, better single upgrade in a year or two.

g35twinturbo's got a 570 for pretty cheap (and 670s for stupid cheap) in the BST thread ;). It's the cheapest on the internet as far as I'm aware, anyway.

Really, really tempted to grab another 670 from and do SLI. I'd have to get a new PSU and motherboard though. :(

Ocho

That's really toasty, considering Kepler automatically scales back performance once it hits 70C. Is it not getting air? Custom fan profile?

No custom fan profile, just a hot room. These temps I'm getting from hwmonitor, don't know how accurate they are. I think there's enough airflow.

mkenyon

Banned
any help?
These are the best two I could find with some quick searching.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2878402&CatId=1886

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229333

You might also consider checking out Craigslist.

Both of the above computers would greatly benefit from a new videocard. Something like the 7850, 6870, 7770 would do you well.
No custom fan profile, just a hot room. These temps I'm getting from hwmonitor, don't know how accurate they are. I think there's enough airflow.
You said that one of your fans wasn't spinning. Which one by chance?

Eiolon

First things first, looks good!

What seems off about the temps to you? Temps look right on to me.

I'd send back the keyboard and get the Red version from CMStore direct. Cherry Reds are a *lot* more quiet. The only noise is by bottoming out the keys really, which you will learn not to do the more you use the keyboard.

For some reason I thought I read somewhere that these temps are what overclockers were getting but maybe not. Since everyone agrees the temps are fine I will probably just leave it be then.

Noaloha

Quick question, for which I'm wondering if there's a quick catch-all answer:

When installing the PSU in the bottom corner of, say, the Arc Midi and with a 7970 DCUII in the middle of the case exhausting its hot air downwards, what orientation should the PSU be? With the intake facing upwards to help remove the GPU heat? Or intake facing downwards so that the PSU has its own closed airflow?

Petrie

Banned
Can anyone tell me why Coretemp and the widget tell me I'm only clocked at 3300MHz while CPUID lists me at my proper 4600MHz?

CatPee

When installing the PSU in the bottom corner of, say, the Arc Midi and with a 7970 DCUII in the middle of the case exhausting its hot air downwards, what orientation should the PSU be? With the intake facing upwards to help remove the GPU heat? Or intake facing downwards so that the PSU has its own closed airflow?

It can go either. Most folks tend to put it facing downward though.

knitoe

Can anyone tell me why Coretemp and the widget tell me I'm only clocked at 3300MHz while CPUID lists me at my proper 4600MHz?

Because, Coretemp is only telling you the rated CPU speed while CPUID actually tells you what the CPU is currently running at.

ruttyboy

I built a PC back at the start of 2007, I'm probably going to buy a whole new system at the end of next year when Rome:TW comes out. I've lately been getting back into my PC gaming and if anyone could help me answer some questions I would be very grateful.

My graphics card is this:

512MB BFG Technology 8800GT OC, PCI

Does anyone know what that is equivalent to today, and most importantly, how much would it cost to improve upon it until I splurge properly next year?

My thinking is that if it's like £40-50 to get something better for 18 months then I might as well.

cackhyena

Starting to put my build together. In the manual for the Z77, it just shows a pic of putting in the RAM but doesn't specify which slots? Does it matter if it's the blue or black slots? Also, after that what should be the crucial/only steps I take to insure it's all working properly? I'm doing this outside the case, just to avoid headaches.

mkenyon

Banned

Where the fan is located is the intake. It exhausts out of the back of the case.
I don't think I did, all my fans are working fine. I have two Bitfenix Spectre Pro on the front of my Arc midi pushing air in. How can I troubleshoot this?
Just two as intake? No exhaust? Even then though, since the 670 is a reference cooler, I wouldn't think it's that bad. Might be worth contacting EVGA support, unless your ambient temperatures are insane.
Starting to put my build together. In the manual for the Z77, it just shows a pic of putting in the RAM but doesn't specify which slots? Does it matter if it's the blue or black slots? Also, after that what should be the crucial/only steps I take to insure it's all working properly? I'm doing this outside the case, just to avoid headaches.
It'll be in there somewhere. It will have some chart or paragraph on recommended memory configuration near the compatibility list. It will want one stick in A1 and one in A2 or B1 and B2.

Noaloha

Where the fan is located is the intake. It exhausts out of the back of the case.

That's what I mean by intake facing upwards or downwards. So facing up, the intake will be inside the case and part of the case's overall airflow set-up; positioning-wise it'll effectively be sucking in the air exhausted out of the GPU and dumping it out the back (maybe?). Facing down, the intake will be 'outside' the case so to speak and its airflow will have no bearing on the case itself. Since these two options seemso wildly different, I was mainly wondering if there's a proven best option (or rather, really crappy option).

My gut feeling is that any help in dumping the GPU exhaust heat is a Good Thing. But that's not an assumption I'm comfortable making! :p

My ASRock p77 board wanted ram as A1 and B1 with just two sticks. It seems newer mobos space out the ram so with two sticks they aren't side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom