• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone get their antec eleven hundred from ncix to ship from the other day? According to slickdeals it was a pricing mistake and seems like everyone is getting cancellation notices.

Has anyone had NCIX charge a foreign transaction fee when using your creditcard instead of paypal that they warn about?

hitmon

Is it better to upgrade a motherboard and CPU now instead of next year? Has anyone heard of any new pending features that's worth waiting a year for?

Tess3ract

Banned
Doesn't AS5 take a really really long time to set/cure?

I haven't used the stuff myself but I've read that is a major knock against it.
It's cool enough at first then once it's cured the temps drop significantly. I'm not one to care about it "taking a long time to cure" It's not like you'll be changing your cpu out frequently

Ceebs

I think one of my older hard drives is on the way out. It's constantly spinning creating a bit of a whining noise from the vibration. Have HDD prices settled back down from the flooding or should I hold off on replacing it a bit? (Moved anything important on the drive as soon as it started this)

Picked up a P8Z77-V PREMIUM from Amazon for the absolute bargain price of £128. I was going to spend £109 on the P8Z77-V LK, so an extra 20 bones for a motherboard that goes for $450 was a no brainer. I'm not sure how many of the advanced features I'll use though.

SSD caching looks like it should be great, especially since ASUS included a 32GB mSATA, but how big of a performance difference generally and in terms of overclocking could this mobo eke out of a 3570K paired with a GTX 670 Windforce 3X? Are any of the other features all that great?

Seeing as this mobo supports dual PCIe 3.0 x16, I'm looking to get a PSU that can support SLI'd 670s along with 2-3 HDDs and an SSD. Would the Corsair HX750 work well? Maybe go for the HX850?

Lastly, would it work fine if I were to SLI my GTX 670 Windforce 3X with a reference card down the line? I hear that it should work, but it wouldn't be optimal.

Thanks

Reposting for new page. Anyone?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So this is my first time using a SSD. Can anyone tell me some DON'Ts with these things?

I know you should not defrag.

I was told that turning your PC off would also hurt it and I should use sleep mode. Is that true?

I also have a habit of reformatting my PC every 3-4 months. With that cause issues?
There's stuff in the second post.
Shutting down is fine, sleep mode actually on some mobos+SSDs put the computer into a weird unresumable mode. Think that's all fixed now.
Is it better to upgrade a motherboard and CPU now instead of next year? Has anyone heard of any new pending features that's worth waiting a year for?
Next year is big changes so if you can wait it'll be good.
It's cool enough at first then once it's cured the temps drop significantly. I'm not one to care about it "taking a long time to cure" It's not like you'll be changing your cpu out frequently
Any thermal paste now is fine. CM212 comes with good paste.
I think one of my older hard drives is on the way out. It's constantly spinning creating a bit of a whining noise from the vibration. Have HDD prices settled back down from the flooding or should I hold off on replacing it a bit? (Moved anything important on the drive as soon as it started this)

hx/ax/x 850 is a good choice.
Not an expert on ssd caching, isn't that just mostly for OS stuff?
SLi is fine.

hx/ax/x 850 is a good choice.
Not an expert on ssd caching, isn't that just mostly for OS stuff?
SLi is fine.

So 850 is a good choice. Does the HX offer much more than the TX, and does the AX offer much more than the HX? The HX being the middle of the three is looking good.

Not an expert on SSD caching, will have to read up and become an expert on it before my mobo arrives.

Good news on the SLI front, thanks.

I am here! On my computer! Woohoo! Thanks for those that helped!

Now to figure out how to overclock.

Does anyone have an Asrock mobo? It installed a lot of shit -- I want to know what I should keep. If anyone could help me out, I'd be very appreciative!

n0n44m

wow ! steal of the century

best features are probably the Thunderbolt support and quad graphic cards support, it should overclock fine as well with 20-phase VRMs ...

I run Gigabyte GTX670 SLI, 5.0 GHz 2600K, 2 HDDs 2 SSDs with a Corsair HX650 lol ... the cards are pretty energy efficient compared to previous generations. I'd get the Corsair AX750 or 850 if I were to buy a new PSU for this system, as the AX are the most efficient

and yes it should work fine with any other 670 GTX card

wow ! steal of the century

best features are probably the Thunderbolt support and quad graphic cards support, it should overclock fine as well with 20-phase VRMs ...

I run Gigabyte GTX670 SLI, 5.0 GHz 2600K, 2 HDDs 2 SSDs with a Corsair HX650 lol ... the cards are pretty energy efficient compared to previous generations. I'd get the Corsair AX750 or 850 if I were to buy a new PSU for this system, as the AX are the most efficient

and yes it should work fine with any other 670 GTX card

Yeah, it was absolute steal, I guess Amazon were clearing stock or something.

If you can run all that of an AX650 then an AX750 should be good. I guess an HX750 would also do as its 25 quid cheaper for slightly less energy efficiency. Any other difference between them?

Does anyone know WTF is wrong with my comp? I have a gtx680 phantom and windows 7 64 bit

Whenever I try to install a new Nvidia driver, it gives me an error right before the installation process, saying this and that from the driver wasn't installed, giving me no information about what the problem is. I tried quite many drivers and none of them work? What do I do?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So 850 is a good choice. Does the HX offer much more than the TX, and does the AX offer much more than the HX? The HX being the middle of the three is looking good.

Not an expert on SSD caching, will have to read up and become an expert on it before my mobo arrives.

Good news on the SLI front, thanks.
HX is modular and better built. More efficient. AX moreso.
I am here! On my computer! Woohoo! Thanks for those that helped!

Now to figure out how to overclock.

Does anyone have an Asrock mobo? It installed a lot of shit -- I want to know what I should keep. If anyone could help me out, I'd be very appreciative!
Anything that is not drivers
Can anyone vouch for the integrity of this Asrock motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

The pricing is certainly attractive, but the detracting reviews on the feedback page leaves much to be desired. A 17% failure rate is certainly not encouraging.
17% 1 star includes DOAs, bad user reviews, and other stuff. Not that bad.
Does anyone know WTF is wrong with my comp? I have a gtx680 phantom and windows 7 64 bit

Whenever I try to install a new Nvidia driver, it gives me an error right before the installation process, saying this and that from the driver wasn't installed, giving me no information about what the problem is. I tried quite many drivers and none of them work? What do I do?
Run CCleaner and driver sweeper, reboot, and see if that helps.

Tau

Guys, I've got a slight issues with my new build. Recently when I boot up there seems to be some sort of screeching / crackling noise (best way to describe it) not sure what it is any ideas?

Grokbu

Just got my XFX 2GB HD6950 that I thought I'd install now. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should store my two old cards? I assume that I should keep them in some sort of anti static environment, but yeah.

Just got my XFX 2GB HD6950 that I thought I'd install now. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should store my two old cards? I assume that I should keep them in some sort of anti static environment, but yeah.

I keep mine in the antistatic packets they came in, but if you've lost yours you can either buy some, or, what I'd do, just wrap them up in bubble wrap or the like and stick 'em in a drawer. In all likelihood, nothing will happen to them, and you save a couple of bucks.

Alternatively, stick them in the packet your 6950 came in.

Gibbo

Hey guys- Thinking of doing a minor upgrade on my PC. I changed by graphics card about 7 months ago- So I probably won't change that this time around. Let me know what else I can change for a decent increase in performance

Intel Core i5-3450
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Cosair Vengence DDR3 1600MhZ 8gb Kit
1TB HDD
Sapphire HD7870 ( Not going to touch this)
FSP 600W PSU

Ultrabum

Hey guys- Thinking of doing a minor upgrade on my PC. I changed by graphics card about 7 months ago- So I probably won't change that this time around. Let me know what else I can change for a decent increase in performance

Intel Core i5-3450
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
1TB HDD
FSP 600W PSU

Solid state drive for the operating system, I'd suggest a 64 GB or 128 GB M4.

Intel Core i5-3450
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
1TB HDD
FSP 600W PSU

Adding an SSD will improve your performance, as will switching your processor for an i5 3570K. Neither will have a huge impact on game performance as you're unlikely to be very cpu bottlenecked with your current processor.

So do you guys think I should get a second 570 to run in SLI? Apparently my board does support SLI and I can get a second one used for $150 bucks.

How many monitors and at what resolution are you running? The second 570 will increase performance, but it may be worth saving for a card with more vram depending on your setup.

Graafke

I recently finished my first computer build. I'd like to thank everyone for their help :)

I am currently trying to force some settings in games via the Nvidia control panel, but doing so results in a black screen. I can still hear in-game music playing but I do not get an image. I'm using a Asus GTX 670 DC2 with the latest WHQL drivers. Any help would be much appreciated!

If you game at 1080p+ or on a 120hz monitor id go for it

Adding an SSD will improve your performance, as will switching your processor for an i5 3570K. Neither will have a huge impact on game performance as you're unlikely to be very cpu bottlenecked with your current processor.

How many monitors and at what resolution are you running? The second 570 will increase performance, but it may be worth saving for a card with more vram depending on your setup.

I use two monitors that are both 1080P. It's only because it's $150, otherwise I'd definitely hold off.

Grokbu

I keep mine in the antistatic packets they came in, but if you've lost yours you can either buy some, or, what I'd do, just wrap them up in bubble wrap or the like and stick 'em in a drawer. In all likelihood, nothing will happen to them, and you save a couple of bucks.

Alternatively, stick them in the packet your 6950 came in.

Thanks a bunch!

I had an empty anti-static bag in my drawer, luckily, so I could use that one and the one that my 6950 came in.

metalshade

Guys, my Lite-on iHOS104-06 Blu-ray drive is still giving me trouble.
I am running the latest drivers etc, and using the supplied PowerDVD10 Blu-ray software.
I have been fiddling with it for hours, and I cant fix it.
What happens is that the film will play, but every 5 or so minutes, the video and audio will hitch for 1-2 seconds, then resume. At about 55 minutes, the film freezes entirely, the drive activity light goes solid green, and I cant eject the Blu-ray, I have to power off to eject it, reboot doesn't fix it.
All my drivers are up to date, powerdvd10 updates installed.
What is going on? it is driving me insane.
DVD's seem to be perfectly fine.

I am running the latest drivers etc, and using the supplied PowerDVD10 Blu-ray software.
What happens is that the film will play, but every 5 or so minutes, the video and audio will hitch for 1-2 seconds, then resume. At about 55 minutes, the film freezes entirely, the drive activity light goes solid green, and I cant eject the Blu-ray, I have to power off to eject it, reboot doesn't fix it.

Looks like its a problem with your graphics card drivers. Try rolling back and see if that solves it.

Could it also have anything to do with your refresh rate?

Edit: could be due to either region free disks, or swapping between regions without powering down. Also, you may want to disable any virtual drives you have on.

metalshade

Looks like its a problem with your graphics card drivers. Try rolling back and see if that solves it.

Could it also have anything to do with your refresh rate?

Edit: could be due to either region free disks, or swapping between regions without powering down. Also, you may want to disable any virtual drives you have on.

I have a MSI HD Radeon 6870 with the latest drivers, do they have a problem?
My refresh is 60hz, as it should be.
I have tried 3 different Blu-rays, all have the same problem.
No Virtual drives that I am aware of.

I have a MSI HD Radeon 6870 with the latest drivers, do they have a problem?
My refresh is 60hz, as it should be.
I have tried 3 different Blu-rays, all have the same problem.
No Virtual drives that I am aware of.

I mean refresh rate settings in the program, for example you may have refresh rate change set to automatic. Stuttering on blurays is often the cause of wrong refresh rates.

mkenyon

Banned
Sounds way more like an issue with the supplied BluRay software. Does VLC play BuRay? If so, try it.
I recently finished my first computer build. I'd like to thank everyone for their help :)

I am currently trying to force some settings in games via the Nvidia control panel, but doing so results in a black screen. I can still hear in-game music playing but I do not get an image. I'm using a Asus GTX 670 DC2 with the latest WHQL drivers. Any help would be much appreciated!
Are you doing it while in game?

metalshade

I mean refresh rate settings in the program, for example you may have refresh rate change set to automatic. Stuttering on blurays is often the cause of wrong refresh rates.

I haven't come across the options for refresh rate in powerdvd10's menus, and I have been looking everywhere.
And also, no I dont think VLC supports Blu-ray, I do already have it installed and I am pretty sure the first thing I did was to try running the Blu-rays in it to find out what was wrong.

Monarch

Banned
My 570GTX is going to be RMA'd real soon and I'll buy a new graphic card.
Do you think waiting for the 660 Ti is worth it ?
Because i'm eyeing the 670 from Asus, got good reviews all around but it's a bit more expensive than what I'll get for the GTX 570 (280€ Vs 420€).
Do you think it's a valuable upgrade ?

mxgt

Banned

I had the exact same problem with my BR drive.

For me it was powerdvd, it's awful.

I now use arcsoft totalmedia theatre 5 and I haven't encountered a problem since.

It is paid software, though.

Coldsnap

I want a new motherboard. I accidently purchased a MINI motherboard for my last build.. It works OK but is not over clock able and my setup is more cramped than I'd like because of it.

Not the same price, that rosewill is 60 bucks after the coupon.

Can anyone vouch for the integrity of this Asrock motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

The pricing is certainly attractive, but the detracting reviews on the feedback page leaves much to be desired. A 17% failure rate is certainly not encouraging.

I will vouch, just put this one in my new rig with Zero problems.

buhdeh

Is it normal for your bootup times to slow down with a second HDD?

I used to only run a single Crucial M4 SSD but I added a 500gb Seagate and now the boot times slowed by a few seconds. I'm guessing it's waiting for the Seagate to spin up or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom