• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Is it normal for your bootup times to slow down with a second HDD?

I used to only run a single Crucial M4 SSD but I added a 500gb Seagate and now the boot times slowed by a few seconds. I'm guessing it's waiting for the Seagate to spin up or something?
If you have it on a different SATA controller, enabling that device does extend the boot process.

Thraktor

Is it normal for your bootup times to slow down with a second HDD?

I used to only run a single Crucial M4 SSD but I added a 500gb Seagate and now the boot times slowed by a few seconds. I'm guessing it's waiting for the Seagate to spin up or something?

Same happened to me (on a Mac, though). My understanding is that the BIOS (or UEFI) checks each drive to see if it's bootable before booting off the highest one on the boot table. This adds a second or two delay as it spins up the hard drive. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it (check the boot settings, maybe), but it's still a lot faster than booting from a hard-drive.

Sullichin

Hey PC GAF. I put together my first PC with this thread as a main guide:

Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.3 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HIS 7870 IceQ
Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt CMPSU-600CXV2
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Crucial M4 128GB
Asus DVD-RW drive
Antec Three Hundred Two case

Working great so far, so fast.

My main question: the cable from my psu that powers my CPU (just barely) brushes up against the massive heatsink on the Hyper 212 EVO. I really don't see how to avoid this. Is this a problem?

Hey PC GAF. I put together my first PC with this thread as a main guide:

My main question: the cable from my psu that powers my CPU (just barely) brushes up against the massive heatsink on the Hyper 212 EVO. I really don't see how to avoid this. Is this a problem?

You may want to see if there is any way to zip-tie it to the top of the case, or route it differently. If the heat doesn't get to it, the vibration from the fan will (eventually) rub it raw.

Ocho

Are all Sata cables the same? I say this because my motherboard came with red (supposedly for 6.0) and black (for 3.0) cables.

beje

Banned
Ok, I know it's summer (around 35ºC ambient) and it's been long since I don't read temps so I don't really know if stuff is all right.

CPU (C2D E8400 3.6GHz):
Running on 46ºC iddle, 70ºC on full load

GPU (GTS250):
Running on 71ºC iddle, 95ºC on full load

Should I do anything about it? The GPU temperature sure scares me...

TrounceX

Hey GAF I'm going to be picking up another GTX 570 for SLI and was wondering how large of a psu I should get?

Here's my system:

ASUS P8P67 PRO
2500k @ 4.6 GHz
GTX 570 reference
8gb RAM
96gb SSD
2TB HDD

I have a Corsair 750 right now which I'm assuming is not enough. There's some 1000 watt psu's on Newegg for like $150 although I don't recognize the brand names. This is the one area I don't know much about at all, so any advice is welcome. Thanks guys.

Are all Sata cables the same? I say this because my motherboard came with red (supposedly for 6.0) and black (for 3.0) cables.

I don't remember there being any spec change between the cables... Are what they plug into also color coded? They might suggest that just to make it easier to see maybe?

mkenyon

Banned
Some are higher quality, which 'ensures' 6GB transfer speeds. If you have an SSD and want to play it safe, then use the red ones on those. Really though, it almost certainly won't make a difference.
Ok, I know it's summer (around 35ºC ambient) and it's been long since I don't read temps so I don't really know if stuff is all right.

CPU (C2D E8400 3.6GHz):
Running on 46ºC iddle, 70ºC on full load

GPU (GTS250):
Running on 71ºC iddle, 95ºC on full load

Should I do anything about it? The GPU temperature sure scares me...
GPU seems high. When was the last time you cleaned it?
Hey GAF I'm going to be picking up another GTX 570 for SLI and was wondering how large of a psu I should get?

Here's my system:

ASUS P8P67 PRO
2500k @ 4.6 GHz
GTX 570 reference
8gb RAM
96gb SSD
2TB HDD

I have a Corsair 750 right now which I'm assuming is not enough. There's some 1000 watt psu's on Newegg for like $150 although I don't recognize the brand names. This is the one area I don't know much about at all, so any advice is welcome. Thanks guys.
750 is plenty.

buhdeh

If you have it on a different SATA controller, enabling that device does extend the boot process.

I have an ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM so I think there's only one SATA controller.

Same happened to me (on a Mac, though). My understanding is that the BIOS (or UEFI) checks each drive to see if it's bootable before booting off the highest one on the boot table. This adds a second or two delay as it spins up the hard drive. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it (check the boot settings, maybe), but it's still a lot faster than booting from a hard-drive.

Hmm okay then. It's only a 2-3 second difference but still... just knowing that it could/should be faster... :)

Salsa

Here's my system:

ASUS P8P67 PRO
2500k @ 4.6 GHz
GTX 570 reference
8gb RAM
96gb SSD
2TB HDD

750 is enough man

Wait, now that I think about the more power hungry cuda cards... How much wattage is needed for two 570s in sli? I have that an overclocked x4 athlon, 12gb ram, 1 ssd, 1 slave drive, and 2 dvd burners. How much would I need? I have that right now except the second 570 so I'm not sure what wattage/voltage on the 12v rails I need for sli.

beje

Banned
GPU seems high. When was the last time you cleaned it?

Never

.___.

Gotta arm myself with a screwdriver, canned air and a fresh load of thermal paste. All the graphics cards I've had before used to die before lasting long enough to need a cleaning.

mkenyon

Banned
Wait, now that I think about the more power hungry cuda cards... How much wattage is needed for two 570s in sli? I have that an overclocked x4 athlon, 12gb ram, 1 ssd, 1 slave drive, and 2 dvd burners. How much would I need? I have that right now except the second 570 so I'm not sure what wattage/voltage on the 12v rails I need for sli.
~213W per card. Also, how do you have 12GB of RAM?
Never

.___.

Gotta arm myself with a screwdriver, canned air and a fresh load of thermal paste. All the graphics cards I've had before used to die before lasting long enough to need a cleaning.
You should clean it every other month. That keeps it preventative, so you just need to hit it with some air and you're good to go.

~213W per card. Also, how do you have 12GB of RAM?

You should clean it every other month. That keeps it preventative, so you just need to hit it with some air and you're good to go.

2x4gb and 2x2gb sticks I believe. I have a 680W supply right now with like 46A on 12V rails, is that enough or do I have to replace it.

metalshade

I had the exact same problem with my BR drive.

For me it was powerdvd, it's awful.

I now use arcsoft totalmedia theatre 5 and I haven't encountered a problem since.

It is paid software, though.

Just tried arcsofts software, exact same problem.

Trouble is, I dont know how to fiddle with refresh rate stuff.
I know my HDTV is 60Hz Vertical and 67Hz horizontal, and that my GPU is outputting at 60Hz, but I dont really know what I am doing.
Having trouble with some games too, FRAPS tell me I am getting 62Hz, and every few seconds I get lines run up my screen.

mkenyon

Banned
2x4gb and 2x2gb sticks I believe. I have a 680W supply right now with like 46A on 12V rails, is that enough or do I have to replace it.
If I were you, I'd look at using money for a second 570 on a new motherboard/proc instead. But, 680 is cutting it pretty close. Those Athlon's are power hungry suckers when OC'd.

If I were you, I'd look at using money for a second 570 on a new motherboard/proc instead. But, 680 is cutting it pretty close. Those Athlon's are power hungry suckers when OC'd.

Eh, I'll just hold off completely then. I don't have the money, or the need really, to upgrade by cpu more than it is, everything still runs well enough. I was only considering the GPU because it was only a $150 and I can't get a processor + mobo for anywhere near that price. I'd like to go back to intel eventually but I want to save up more money first. I got this amd since it was cheap and my old mobo fried and it was an old intel core 2 duo so there was no point in buying another mobo for such old parts so I went to this. I got the new case that's nicer to use and just stick with that for the time being. Thanks.

cackhyena

So, build is up and running well. Am I missing a tutorial in the OP for overclocking? Anyone have a link to a good guide for overclocking my 3570k? Never tried it before. Wanna do it right, of course.

mkenyon

Banned
So, build is up and running well. Am I missing a tutorial in the OP for overclocking? Anyone have a link to a good guide for overclocking my 3570k? Never tried it before. Wanna do it right, of course.

ctrl-f overclocking in the OP. The Z68/P67 and Z77 guides are almost exactly the same.

I have a few questions in regards to the GTX 570 (EVGA brand)

I seem to have run into some issues with a few games and I don't know if is the game's problem or the video card.

Here are some examples:

• After getting 15 hours into saints row the third, the game crashes after getting 5-10 minutes into gameplay.
  • In Darksiders, the screen will go black for 3-5 seconds every couple minutes.
  • In Metro 2033 the game will freeze for a second, then keep going (not while it is saving)

With that being said, Dead Space 2 runs fantastically. Crysis seems to as well.

So do you think these issues are coming from the GTX 570? The drivers are all up to date. I swapped out the bad ram I had and ran memtester on it and everything checked out.

I am going to fire up another game and see what happens.

Some more info just in case:
  • Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance Ram
  • Core i5 2500k

Thanks for your help in advance!

Could selecting V-Sync in the video options cause these problems?

Edit: After turning V-sync off in SR: The Third it still crashed. It did take a little longer though, about 20 minutes.

Kabuto

my new gaming pc is basically done. I'm installing Windows 7 in it right now but I noticed the back case fan isn't spinning. Is that normal? I also installed the stock cpu cooler instead of my $35 Cooler Master... is it too late to put in the Cooler Master?

Abdozer

Hi guys, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I'm having trouble finding a good case/PSU/GPU build for my pre-built that I have.

It's pretty old and small (micro-ATX), right now these are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3GHz
4GB RAM
Intel Corporation DG31PR
ATI Radeon 4650 low-profile
320w PSU
Monitor is HW191A at 1440x900, I'm fine with this for now.

Basically all that is a prebuilt I got a few years ago, I decided that I'm going to try to upgrade as much as possible over a time period. I plan to game a lot on this on the newer games like Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, possibly Guild Wars 2 if it's up to par by then.

Right now I'm trying to just change my case, replace the PSU and the GPU as well. I already play DoTA2, TF2, Skyrim and all the new stuff but it's very hard to play as you can see lol. My cousin recommended this case with this PSU and also this GPU as well. I do plan to upgrade my CPU in a few months after I upgrade, but I'm worried that the GPU will be bottlenecked severely until then.

Overall I'm trying not to go over $300 budget-wise. Do you guys recommend something better?

Oxn

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having trouble knowing which connectors on my mobo is the right one for connecting my front headphone and mic jack.

I'm using an as rock pro4, and the manual isn't very clear with it.

For reference my cases connectors are 2 individual plugs.

Edgeward

my new gaming pc is basically done. I'm installing Windows 7 in it right now but I noticed the back case fan isn't spinning. Is that normal? I also installed the stock cpu cooler instead of my $35 Cooler Master... is it too late to put in the Cooler Master?

Are you sure the back fan is connected to the mobo or psu? If psu it should always be running so that is not normal.

You can always put in the Cooler Master later. You would just then need to using alcohol to remove the residue of the thermal paste and reapply.

hitmon

Next year is big changes so if you can wait it'll be good.

Can you give me a summary of what to expect for next year's motherboards or what codenames to look up? Haven't followed the PC scene for a long time so I'm quite lost right now.

Another question.

Would an i7 920 2.6GHz and 6GB DDR3 be enough for a gtx 690? I"m just wondering how much of a performance hit the GTX 690 would take.

longdi

Banned
This seems like a good pre-built small sized gaming pc
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6104/origin-chronos-review-the-ultimate-lan-box
Small%20(5%20of%207).jpg

The high vcore does not sound reassuring but you can likely go to bios and tweak it down.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
sold my x51 ( limited upgrablity and I wanted to make something with my own hands)

this is what I bought:

Intel Core i5-3550k
EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW 1280 MB GDDR5
MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards (Z77A-G43)
Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply
Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 120 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch
Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 High Airflow Gunmetal Black Mid-Tower Case

and windows

cost $1200ish (bit less) should all be here by friday

Ended up with a Corsair Graphite Series 600T (ups didn't drop off my case with other stuff and I'm not waiting till monday so I ran out and got it local, thank you amazon returns).

Some pics of it done:

QUYxN.jpg

6lIEm.jpg

Spl1nter

Can you give me a summary of what to expect for next year's motherboards or what codenames to look up? Haven't followed the PC scene for a long time so I'm quite lost right now.

Another question.

Would an i7 920 2.6GHz and 6GB DDR3 be enough for a gtx 690? I"m just wondering how much of a performance hit the GTX 690 would take.

Crank that up to 4 bro.

longdi

Banned
nice though i would switch the 600t top fan as intake for positive pressure and more cooling for the vrms.

the msi g43 sadly is not as tweakable as an overclocking board.

Smokey

Hi guys, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, but I'm having trouble finding a good case/PSU/GPU build for my pre-built that I have.

It's pretty old and small (micro-ATX), right now these are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3GHz
4GB RAM
Intel Corporation DG31PR
ATI Radeon 4650 low-profile
320w PSU
Monitor is HW191A at 1440x900, I'm fine with this for now.

Basically all that is a prebuilt I got a few years ago, I decided that I'm going to try to upgrade as much as possible over a time period. I plan to game a lot on this on the newer games like Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, possibly Guild Wars 2 if it's up to par by then.

Right now I'm trying to just change my case, replace the PSU and the GPU as well. I already play DoTA2, TF2, Skyrim and all the new stuff but it's very hard to play as you can see lol. My cousin recommended this case with this PSU and also this GPU as well. I do plan to upgrade my CPU in a few months after I upgrade, but I'm worried that the GPU will be bottlenecked severely until then.

Overall I'm trying not to go over $300 budget-wise. Do you guys recommend something better?

You'd honestly be much better off going with the budget build or saving a few more bucks for the standard build in the OP. Any new GPU you get is going to be held back by that CPU. Then you're going to have to completely upgrade to a completely new motherboard for a new CPU...IMO it would be much better to try and save up and hit that budget/standard range especially since you said you want to play a lot of newer games on this machine.

Abdozer

You'd honestly be much better off going with the budget build or saving a few more bucks for the standard build in the OP. Any new GPU you get is going to be held back by that CPU. Then you're going to have to completely upgrade to a completely new motherboard for a new CPU...IMO it would be much better to try and save up and hit that budget/standard range especially since you said you want to play a lot of newer games on this machine.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, I guess I'll save up for now, thanks for the help though.

Kabuto

Are you sure the back fan is connected to the mobo or psu? If psu it should always be running so that is not normal.

You can always put in the Cooler Master later. You would just then need to using alcohol to remove the residue of the thermal paste and reapply.

both my front and back fans weren't connected to the motherboard so I fixed that. I've got Windows installed but now my gtx 670 won't install.I googled it and I think I have to install drivers? I'm really lost on what to download and why my gpu disc won't detect my gpu.

Bombadil

Banned
Any recommended guides? I'm a bit afraid as I don't have much cooling besides fans.

My recommendation is that you return the 690 and use the money to build a more uniform PC. Because, Jesus, how can you pair a 1000 dollar card with 6 gigs of RAM and a 920, dude?

MrBig

thanks! how do I download it to my computer? I don't think I can connect to the internet yet :l and do I have to download anymore drivers?

You should be able to plug in your Ethernet cable as normal without any drivers for it. If you can't do that atm then download the nvidia drivers to another comp and copy them to a usb drive. The only other driver you will need is for the sata controller, which you can get from intel. And then any specialized drivers if needed.

You should be able to plug in your Ethernet cable as normal without any drivers for it. If you can't do that atm then download the nvidia drivers to another comp and copy them to a usb drive. The only other driver you will need is for the sata controller, which you can get from intel. And then any specialized drivers if needed.

Or just use the mobo driver cd for the time being if his ethernet isn't working.

How good of a price is the 256 samsung 830 at $190? I'm thinking at least one for my laptop and maybe one for my desktop.

And even with having over 11gigs free I still can't get Windows 7 SP 1 to install, it keeps giving me an error code 80070308. I don't know why it won't install SP1 already. So annoying. :/

hitmon

My recommendation is that you return the 690 and use the money to build a more uniform PC. Because, Jesus, how can you pair a 1000 dollar card with 6 gigs of RAM and a 920, dude?

Was planning to upgrade slowly if possible (within the next year). Is the processor that bad now? Whats the recommended minimum amount of RAM now?

CatPee

Was planning to upgrade slowly if possible (within the next year). Is the processor that bad now?

If you OC it a bit, not at all.

How good of a price is the 256 samsung 830 at $190? I'm thinking at least one for my laptop and maybe one for my desktop.

And even with having over 11gigs free I still can't get Windows 7 SP 1 to install, it keeps giving me an error code 80070308. I don't know why it won't install SP1 already. So annoying. :/

$190 is an amazing price for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom