• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombadil

Banned
Was planning to upgrade slowly if possible (within the next year). Is the processor that bad now? Whats the recommended minimum amount of RAM now?

No it's not that bad. But a 690 is overkill. It will make everything else in your PC seem like shit in comparison. It is a bottleneck unto itself because either nothing else can match it in the CPU department, or nothing that can match it is needed for the next 4 years, or no one is going to take advantage of it in the foreseeable future. Better to buy mid-level all the time because that's the sweet spot.

hitmon

No it's not that bad. But a 690 is overkill. It will make everything else in your PC seem like shit in comparison. It is a bottleneck unto itself because either nothing else can match it in the CPU department, or nothing that can match it is needed for the next 4 years, or no one is going to take advantage of it in the foreseeable future. Better to buy mid-level all the time because that's the sweet spot.

Yeah, wanted to splurge on my PC for once.. lol I know I could've upgraded to a gtx 680, motherboard, and CPU for the same price. I was hoping the 690 will last me for a long time is all. I thought I could wait another year before upgrading the mobo and cpu.

Now you've got me worried.

I've got a question, and it's going to seem stupid... So people were saying that micro stutter is inherent to SLI setups, but does that apply to the 690 as its just one card? Or it still suffers the same cause it's pretty much two 680's?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Just finished replacing my stock cooler with a Noctua NH-D14 (using HeGrease, as suggested). Also stuck a Corsair SP120 in front for intake 'cause eh why not.

...CPU temperatures are down 20c idle and 30c under Prime95! There are not enough mindblown.gifs in the world. I guess the next step would be overclocking, but I'll have to do some more research before tackling that. Not up for the trial and error right now.

Thanks PC-GAF, especially mkenyon!

achapel

Kind of a repost from the GW2 thread, though probably should have posted it here first anyways.

I am looking to upgrade my cpu (mobo/ram as well of course) and wanted some input on which will give me the biggest bang for my $$ while lasting a while. OC capability is a factor, been doing it for years, just not lately.

Current specs:

Intel Q9400 stock
4GB ram
Old Intel 80GB SSD
ATI 6950 2GB video card

I would of course get more ram, 8-16gb depending on mobo and deals.

I know the i5 2500k or whatever is very popular, but its been out a while, just wondering if anything newer is worthwhile?

Kabuto

sorry for all the posts today guys. I'm hoping this will be my last one for the night. Whenever I try to install the gtx 670, the set up says "the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware" The graphics card is running so I don't know why it isn't being detected.

hitmon

Current temps of CPU cores while internet browsing is between 50-64 C according to HWMonitor.

Is it recommended I get better cooling before attempting to overclock?

Regarding overclocking, Revision is D0 according to CPUz. Does that make overclocking any easier?

sorry for all the posts today guys. I'm hoping this will be my last one for the night. Whenever I try to install the gtx 670, the set up says "the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware" The graphics card is running so I don't know why it isn't being detected.

You're absolutely positive you're downloading the driver for the right series card and the right OS (version and bit)?

yeah I used the drivers and the cd. They both aren't working.

What do you mean the drivers and the cd? The cd just has drivers on it. Are you 64 bit? You're sure you're using the 64 bit drivers for it? This happens when you're in the installation process by nvidia? Did windows use any drivers for initial install?

Kabuto

I went to device manager in my control panel and the graphics card isn't even there... That might be the problem. I don't know what to do :[

oh yeah I've been updating windows and everything just fine. It's just whatever I'm seeing is way too small compared to my monitor.

What I'm saying is the computer has to be detecting it in some manner if you're getting an image. That's why I'm asking you if it had onboard video or something that it could be using instead of the 670.

Kabuto

What I'm saying is the computer has to be detecting it in some manner if you're getting an image. That's why I'm asking you if it had onboard video or something that it could be using instead of the 670.

yeah I think I've been using the onboard video then. After windows is done updating, I'll take a look at it again.

Katoki

So my GTX 670 FTW came in the mail today.

Is it wrong to be partly disappointed that my previous GTX 670 SC can maintain a higher boost clock than the FTW? On the bright side, the sucker never ever passes 100% power usage.

Kabuto

just kidding. That was just the onboard video upscaled after updating. The "the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware" message is still appearing.

Smokey

I've got a question, and it's going to seem stupid... So people were saying that micro stutter is inherent to SLI setups, but does that apply to the 690 as its just one card? Or it still suffers the same cause it's pretty much two 680's?

What? No, it's only when you have 2+ physical cards.

The 690 is two 680 GPUs on one board in SLI (if you already knew this then my bad).

To answer your question I don't notice micro stutter at all on my 690. Even when I had my 580 SLI setup I never had any issues.

Jburton

Banned
Which would make no sense as it's already almost on a par with the 680.

Sounds strange and unlikely to me unless having only 3/4 of the memory bandwidth removes 25% of the performance.

It would sound more likely if the core count was reduced by a similar amount.

Otherwise what's the point of selling the 670 or the 680 if you undermine them with an almost similarly performing but cheaper card.

660 Ti comes out August 16 according to Sweclockers.com

http://www.techpowerup.com/169557/GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-Specifications-and-Launch-Date-Released.html

Looks like it will have similar performance as the gtx 670

I'm skeptical, but if true Nvidia will own even more of the market (and 670 will have little reason to exist)

But yeah skeptical.

But yeah if true wow (rumored $300 price)

already a lot of great deals out their on the amd side, this could push prices down even farther.

imagine 250-275 for 7950

225-250 for 7870

199 for 7850?

wow

Nakayumi

GAF, I have a question. I bought myself a PC about 1.5 year ago...had no real interest in PC gaming at the time so I let someone I thought was more knowledgeable decide on what to build with my relatively low budget. Steam changed all that and now I'm looking to upgrade, my current specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 (AM3) 4x 3.4 GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GT 430
Asus M4A88T-M 4xDDR3, 880G Motherboard
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
CoolerMaster ExtremePower 460W

I am thinking of getting the Asus GTX570, but I fear my PC is lacking in some departments. I am still a beginner in these things, so I might be wrong, but 460W wouldn't be enough I guess?

Also, I just read the GTX660 Ti is around the corner, would it be smart to wait for that one instead? The GTX570 will be anywhere between €270 and €300 for me, so the 660 might be around the same price...

Xyphie

GAF, I have a question. I bought myself a PC about 1.5 year ago...had no real interest in PC gaming at the time so I let someone I thought was more knowledgeable decide on what to build with my relatively low budget. Steam changed all that and now I'm looking to upgrade, my current specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 (AM3) 4x 3.4 GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GT 430
Asus M4A88T-M 4xDDR3, 880G Motherboard
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
CoolerMaster ExtremePower 460W

I am thinking of getting the Asus GTX570, but I fear my PC is lacking in some departments. I am still a beginner in these things, so I might be wrong, but 460W wouldn't be enough I guess?

Also, I just read the GTX660 Ti is around the corner, would it be smart to wait for that one instead? The GTX570 will be anywhere between €270 and €300 for me, so the 660 might be around the same price...

Don't get a 570. If you're buying something right now get a 7850/7870 or even a 7950 (I've seen the ASUS 7950 DC2 model for around ~300€ equivalent here in Sweden). They would all be comparable or a better choice and are all much more power efficient than the 570. They should fit well within what your PSU can supply, my i5-750+580 rig uses around 450W measured at the wall on full load (CPU+GPU) so I assume you'd land somewhere around that with a 570 which would be cutting it pretty close.

Oxn

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having trouble knowing which connectors on my mobo is the right one for connecting my front headphone and mic jack.

I'm using an as rock pro4, and the manual isn't very clear with it.

For reference my cases connectors are 2 individual plugs.

Still looking for help

It's that time of the year -- well, in my case ~5 years -- upgrade time!

Here's my current specs:
  • CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2,6GHZ
  • RAM 3328MB DDR2
  • MOBO Asus P5E-VM DO
  • GPU Gainward Radeon HD 4850 Golden Sample
  • PSU Corsair VX 450W
  • MONITOR: 19'' 1440x900 SyncMaster 940MW

Here's the suitable candidates for my upgrade (found in the OP):

Budget: 850-900€ (buying from Italy, prices coming from Amazon.it)
I'm not going to overclock anything
  • CPU Intel Core i5-2500K €199,64
  • RAM Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 2x4GB €54,90
  • MOBO Asus P8Z77-V LE (can't find the LK model) €128,25
  • GPU Sapphire HD7850 2GB €216,13
  • HEATSINK Cooler Master Hyper 212 €34,90
  • PSU Do I need a new one?
  • MONITOR: Do I need a new one?

TOTAL: ~640€

Questions:
  • My O.S. is installed on a 160GB Samsung SP1614C 7200 RPM: should I buy a SSD, install the O.S. and then use a 1TB HDD for programs/videogames (as install directory)?
    Would I gain some speed?
  • Should I consider to buy a sound card? I.e. does it sensibly relieve the CPU from stress while playing videogames
  • Do I need a new monitor and PSU?

LEGGZZZZ

Pc gaf!

I have a question, I'm considering getting a 27' crossover monitor off of ebay as a few here already have. My question is how would gaming at 1080p look on that monitor? I would love the extra space ( I do graphic design work) but I don't want my games to look terribly blurry. Has anyone tried this? And if so, would you still recommend gaming at 1080p on a 1440 monitor? Thanks for any help.

abunai

It's that time of the year -- well, in my case ~5 years -- upgrade time!

Questions:
  • My O.S. is installed on a 160GB Samsung SP1614C 7200 RPM: should I buy a SSD, install the O.S. and then use a 1TB HDD for programs/videogames (as install directory)?
    Would I gain some speed?
  • Should I consider to buy a sound card? I.e. does it sensibly relieve the CPU from stress while playing videogames
  • Do I need a new monitor and PSU?

A SSD is a vast speed increase over having your OS on a HDD. I would say yes, Samsung 830/Crucial M4 are the SSD's to get right now (and Intel, but they are often very expensive).

Sound card? No. Onboard is perfectly fine and doesn't detract from CPU cycles at all. Only venture into soundcards if you have good audio equipment (DAC/AMPs/Passive Speakers) to take advantage of it - that is another question entirely. Simple answer: sound card = no point, really.

You would need a new PSU yes, the rest of the parts look fine. You don't /need/ a new monitor, but gaming at 1440x900 with a HD7850 is a bit of a waste. You can always get a 1080p or higher monitor later on, to take advantage of the 7850s power.

Pc gaf!

I have a question, I'm considering getting a 27' crossover monitor off of ebay as a few here already have. My question is how would gaming at 1080p look on that monitor? I would love the extra space ( I do graphic design work) but I don't want my games to look terribly blurry. Has anyone tried this? And if so, would you still recommend gaming at 1080p on a 1440 monitor? Thanks for any help.

It doesn't look great. It's acceptable, but it does bug me a fair bit. It depends how much you value consistent IQ but there is a definite amount of blur. If i had to pick, I would get a 120Hz monitor over 1440p, but since you value the screen real estate then that isn't a very good option for you. What about a secondary monitor?

LEGGZZZZ

Thanks for your response. I thought about that as well. I was considering a 1080p 120hz monitor, would that limit the real estate of the screen? If so then dual monitors may be the best route.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having trouble knowing which connectors on my mobo is the right one for connecting my front headphone and mic jack.

I'm using an as rock pro4, and the manual isn't very clear with it.

For reference my cases connectors are 2 individual plugs.
According to the MB manual, it's the last header on the bottom left. There's a pinout further on. Where are you getting hung up? Is it that the header has ten pins and your case's connectors have fewer holes? What case do you have?

I assume you're at least running a 64-bit OS. 4GB is pretty low. If you can bump it to 8GB, do that.

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K €199,64
If you are 100% sure you'll never be overclocking, you don't need a K-model CPU. (But you can't overclock without one, so if you think you might change your mind later...)

abunai

Thanks for your response. I thought about that as well. I was considering a 1080p 120hz monitor, would that limit the real estate of the screen? If so then dual monitors may be the best route.

It doesn't limit the real estate by being 120hz, you can certainly get 27" 120Hz monitors. I don't particularly like 1080p monitors above 24" (personal preference) - since you aren't gaining any real estate (assuming you are currently 1080p) it wouldn't help you asides from being much smoother. I'd probably go for a second monitor in your scenario.

Oxn

According to the MB manual, it's the last header on the bottom left. There's a pinout further on. Where are you getting hung up? Is it that the header has ten pins and your case's connectors have fewer holes? What case do you have?

Youre right, its is that one.

I think my case connector is just broken.

Argg I really want a front Headphone jack.

Oxn

One more question.

I plan on getting a SSD really soon. I do not have an internal DVD drive, but i do have a external one.

When installing a fresh OS on a blank drive, can i run Win7 install through a USB DVD drive and install?

You would need a new PSU yes, the rest of the parts look fine.

Using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator I get a wattage of 398W: with a Antec BP550Plus 550W I'll be ok?

If you are 100% sure you'll never be overclocking, you don't need a K-model CPU. (But you can't overclock without one, so if you think you might change your mind later...)

You could save a bit of money stepping down to a non-K i5 if you're not overclocking and put the saved money towards a better screen or a SSD.

I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna meddle with this devilment: any recommendation on a substitute for the 3570K (same cores-same power)?

Thanks for the replies everyone ;]

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gaf... I'm losing it. My entire saturday has been ruined by this shitty inane fucked up audio driver problem that has affected me out of nowhere... I'm at my wits end and this close to just punching a hole through my monitor ( I'm not good at dealing with these kind of problems... )

Asus Xonar DX

Original issue : slight audio sparking when playing dota 2 or watching videos in the browser.
I tried : installing new audio drivers ( main suggestion online )

New issue : EVERYTHING HAS GONE FUCKING HAYWIRE... Now I can't install the drivers, I just can't since the setup crashes. I have uninstalled driver, booted in safe mode and ran Driver sweeper and CCleaner and then proceeded to do a clean install. Nope, setup won't finish...

Here's the golden fucking part of my problem : If the setup crashes, and I reboot the pc ( hard reboot since w7 gets stuck at "shutting off" because of software conflict or w/e )... I can try to run the setup again and it "successfully" installs. Why the scare quotes? Well for some bloody shit reason the volume is now roughly 50% of what it was before I started this damned driver misery journey.

1. As mentioned, tried to thoroughly to a clean install. Soundcard won't "turn on" and the setup will crash.

2. Tried different drivers. Nothing.

3. I have changed, literally, nothing the past week since the audio issues started.

4. I made sure the powerconnector is connected to the card.

5. I tried another molex pin. Nothing.

6. I have no other PCI slot to try the card in.

Jesus christ on a biscuit what else can one do when it comes to a sodding measly 60 euro soundcard. Everything worked so well up until I listened to the fucking internet and tried to reinstall the drivers.

Please Gaf put me out of my misery...

Xyphie

Using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator I get a wattage of 398W: with a Antec BP550Plus 550W I'll be ok?

You won't need a new PSU. VX450W will be just fine for Ivy/Sandy Bridge+7850. People here on GAF run similar systems spec-wise on 330W with room to spare.

I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna meddle with this devilment: any recommendation on a substitute for the 3570K (same cores-same power)?

Thanks for the replies everybody ;]

i5-3450 would be a good choice and is like 20€ cheaper. Any i5-23xx/24xx/33xx/34xx depending on what you can find at what prices would be a good replacement really.

Sethos

Banned
Gaf... I'm losing it. My entire saturday has been ruined by this shitty inane fucked up audio driver problem that has affected me out of nowhere... I'm at my wits end and this close to just punching a hole through my monitor ( I'm not good at dealing with these kind of problems... )

Asus Xonar DX

Original issue : slight audio sparking when playing dota 2 or watching videos in the browser.

New issue : EVERYTHING HAS GONE FUCKING HAYWIRE... Now I can't install the drivers, I just can't since the setup crashes. I have uninstalled driver, booted in safe mode and ran Driver sweeper and CCleaner and then proceeded to do a clean install. Nope, setup won't finish...

Here's the golden fucking part of my problem : If the setup crashes, and I reboot the pc ( hard reboot since w7 gets stuck at "shutting off" because of software conflict or w/e )... I can try to run the setup again and it "successfully" installs. Why the scare quotes? Well for some bloody shit reason the volume is now roughly 50% of what it was before I started this damned driver misery journey.

1. As mentioned, tried to thoroughly to a clean install. Soundcard won't "turn on" and the setup will crash.

3. I have changed, literally, nothing the past week since the audio issues started.

Jesus christ on a biscuit what else can one do when it comes to a sodding measly 60 euro soundcard. Everything worked so well up until I listened to the fucking internet and tried to reinstall the drivers.

Don't hit me if this suggestion is stupid, have you tried doing a manual windows installation? From within Device Manager, do the whole "Browse my Computer for driver software" on the unit before it's installed and then later install the software manually from the RAR

abunai

Thanks for the replies everyone ;]

Yeah. I'm aware others have ran a system on less wattage, but I always like to have headroom just for peace of mind.

Asus Xonar DX

Which "different" drivers did you try? Were they just older/newer versions of the ASUS driver? I doubt it's a hardware problem like bad PCI lanes or anything, so for the moment you don't need to worry about that.

However, in capital letters: ASUS DRIVERS SUCK. I hate them. If you've been using nothing but official ASUS drivers, forget about them. Download and install Xonar Unified Drivers (link). Unless you already tried them wrt "different" drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom