• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate(love) this thread. Got me so hyped to build that I went OTT on components and ended up with an H100+corsair SP120s and a GTX 690. Ah well, the machine is awesome. The fractal arc midi was a pleasure to build in as well. If the case was windowed I probably would have gone full retard and bought sleeved cables.

So what gaming surfaces/mats do you guys recommend? I'm using a razer exactmat right now and I'm getting tired of the sharp metal edge digging in. It's a bit worn and grimy these days as well. My mouse is an SS sensei.

Grumbul

This is the build I am currently looking at (first time putting one of these together in over 8 years so please forgive any blatant errors):

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard
Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue LP 8GB DDR3 2133 MHz CAS 11 XMP Dual Channel Desktop
Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor Retail
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Black Mid Tower Case with Side Window w/o PSU
Corsair CMPSU-650HXUK HX 650W Modular Power Supply (PSU)
120GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 Series SATA III - 6Gb/s Solid State Drive
Seagate 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Drive ST2000DM001 7200rpm 64MB Cache7200rpm
Samsung SATA 22x DVD Writer SH-S222BB/BEBE Black Internal OEM
Freezer 13 Limited Edition CPU Cooler Intel 775/1155/1156/1366
Gigabyte 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 Overclocked NVIDIA Graphics Card

Is there anything anyone can see that is going to cause me any problems here?

My main objective will be to play open world games at the highest settings I can pull from this, probably just at 1080p resolution for now. Just Cause 2, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, GTA are probably going to be top of the list, along with The Witcher 2.

mkenyon

Banned
I hate(love) this thread. Got me so hyped to build that I went OTT on components and ended up with an H100+corsair SP120s and a GTX 690. Ah well, the machine is awesome. The fractal arc midi was a pleasure to build in as well. If the case was windowed I probably would have gone full retard and bought sleeved cables.

So what gaming surfaces/mats do you guys recommend? I'm using a razer exactmat right now and I'm getting tired of the sharp metal edge digging in. It's a bit worn and grimy these days as well. My mouse is an SS sensei.
Every part you have mentioned, including the SS Sensei, have my 100% recommendation as the best thing to go with. Pics or GTFO!

Also, just get yourself a dremel/jigsaw, some plastic u-channel, and a piece of acrylic. Make your own window!

I use an xtrac ripper XXL, which allows me to have a continuous mouse pad wherever I go. Most of the pros I know either use a giant mousepad like myself with low sens, or mid-low sens with the Steelseries 9HD. If you like a bit of a grippier surface, 9HD is the way to go. If you play lots of FPS and therefore have low sens, a big soft mat is where its at. (old pic)

WOByvl.jpg

This is the build I am currently looking at (first time putting one of these together in over 8 years so please forgive any blatant errors):

Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue LP 8GB DDR3 2133 MHz CAS 11 XMP Dual Channel Desktop
Seagate 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Drive ST2000DM001 7200rpm 64MB Cache7200rpm

My main objective will be to play open world games at the highest settings I can pull from this, probably just at 1080p resolution for now. Just Cause 2, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, GTA are probably going to be top of the list, along with The Witcher 2.
Swap the cooler with a CM 212+ on the low end. Maybe swap the motherboard with one in the OP. I think going lower on the case, something like a Fractal Arc Midi or Define R4, or even a Coolermaster 690II, and putting that money into a better videocard like the 660Ti is a muuuuuch better way to go.

kharma45

Swap out that Corsair SSD for either a Samsung 830, Intel 330 or a Crucial M4.

I'd change the GTX 570 too, something like a 7850 instead unless you're wholly against an AMD card for some reason.

Babalu.

server.jpg

I know it's not the regular type of builds that we see here, but I thought I would share it anyway. So I went ahead and built my own NAS. I decided to not go with a prebuilt NAS cause non of them offered all the options I wanted. Plus for how much they cost I was impressed with how much storage they offered. What I wanted was something with a ton of storage. It needed a ton of space to hold my girlfriend and mines Animation files/Demo Reel files, her photos and videos she takes, music, our movie files etc etc. Plus I wanted some redundancy, I had a hard drive die not to long ago and unfortunately I didn't have some stuff backed up. I was luckily able to rebuild with out too much effort the important stuff, but it made me crave redundancy. So along with that I wanted a RAID 1 (mirrors one drive to the other) for onsite backup of the really important stuff. With out further wait here is the list of parts.

PSU Seasonic SS-460FL 460W Fanless 80Plus Gold
Motherboard/CPU/GPU ASUS E35M1-M PRO (1.6 dual core AMD E-350)
CASE Fractal Design Define R3
RAM G.Skill Ripjaw sieres 1066 DDR3 8GB (2x4)
OS Drive OCZ Agility 3 180GB SATA III
Hardware RAID card Areca ARC-1223-8I 8 port SAS/SATA Raid card
RAID 1 drives Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 3TB (x2)
RAID 6 drives Western Digital Red NAS Drive 3TB (x6)

Just got the WD Reds in today, so the RAID 6 is building now. Holy shit is it going fast, only looking to be taking about 5 hours for it. Which is about how long the Barracuda's took to build just their RAID 1.

nice!

Babalu.

Can anyone help me? I've been playing Civilization V for the past month or so and have had no problems. But recently the game has started to freeze and it's become so bad now that I can't even play a few turns before it happens. It starts ok but then it starts messing up bad and until it becomes like the picture below or black and just freezes. I can't alt-tab or get to the task manager because it just freezes and I have to restart my computer. I've checked the temperature of my video card and it stays pretty low I think but it happens no matter what game I play. It happened during CS:GO also so i'm assuming its all games.

pwkPz.jpg

It doesn't happen if I just leave my computer on and browse the internet for hours and hours. So I'm guessing that my video card is just kind of done? I cleaned out all the dust and it still happens.

If you guys say that it is probably my video card that is done, can anyone help me find a good upgrade for my system? I've been meaning to build another computer but I don't have the funds because of my mortage and other bills. So i'de like to just upgrade the video card if that is still feasible and my whole system isn't TOO outdated.

So here is what I got: (i built it in 2008 or 2009 i think)

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz
Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit

Now i've been out of the loop for a few years now so what would be a good upgrade for my video card from a radeon 4890? I'de like to go nvidia if I can but i'm not sure if my system will take it. I'de like to keep it under $150 if possible unless the upgrade is going to really really make it worth it I can go to $200. I want the best bang for the buck. If this can keep me playing BF3, Civilization V, and other games even at medium settings for another year or 2, that would be what i'de like..

Or is my whole system not worth it and I should just build another one rather then upgrade the video card?

2San

Disable every device and controller in BIOS that you aren't using. Its taking its time by starting up all sorts of stuff you aren't using.
I'm fine with 35 seconds tbh. :p
Ill give those suggestions a try.

didnt install the magician yet.
Before I forget you can't suddenly switch to AHCI mode, because windows doesn't recognize it then. You have to do a fresh install for it(there's a trick for this so you won't have to fresh install, I forgot how it's done, but you can google it). If you switched to ahci mode and windows won't boot just switch back to previous settings.

Blablurn

Is that graphics card good enough to play current games?

i wanna build a computer and it shall have those components:

processor: Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80623I52500K)
graphics card: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7770 OC, 1GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort (11201-05-20G)
mainboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, H77 (dual PC3-12800U DDR3)
RAM: 8GB Ram
One 64GB SSD for the OS and 750GB for the rest.

the price is around 500-600€ for all the components here in germany. would this be enough?

mkenyon

Banned
@babalu

What are your temps in gameplay? When was the last time you cleaned your card?

*edit*
@Blablurn

Any chance of you switching to a 6870? It's much better performance:$

Oxn

I'm fine with 35 seconds tbh. :p

Before I forget you can't suddenly switch to AHCI mode, because windows doesn't recognize it then. You have to do a fresh install for it(there's a trick for this so you won't have to fresh install, I forgot how it's done, but you can google it). If you switched to ahci mode and windows won't boot just switch back to previous settings.

Yea, when I first tried to install i was doing it through AHCI mode, and it wouldnt let me, kept asking for driver.

So i switch to IDE and it worked.

mkenyon

Banned
Yea, when I first tried to install i was doing it through AHCI mode, and it wouldnt let me, kept asking for driver.

So i switch to IDE and it worked.
This is on an SSD? Is this a store bought *wink nudge* copy of windows?

IDE mode = bad news for SSD.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I just ordered my GPU. Pleasant surprise! It came with a code for Borderlands2!!!! Definitely wasn't offered last week. Glad I hadn't preordered yet.

So I have like 8 enclosures with different sizes of HDDs inside, I think in total I have like 10TB of data. All connected to my game rig.

I find myself in the need to connected them to small factor PC that doesnt use too much energy so that I can leave it on all day every day.

What is the cheapest PC (must run Windows so I can Remote Desktop to it) that I can buy that will let me connect more than 10 USB devices?

Please dont recomment me Drobos or other NAS devices, they are still too expensive :(

garath

Well after reading the 660Ti reviews I believe it's time to upgrade my video card. I'm looking at 100%+ performance gain over my current 460. Exciting! So glad I skipped the 500 generation.

mkenyon

Banned
So I have like 8 enclosures with different sizes of HDDs inside, I think in total I have like 10TB of data. All connected to my game rig.

I find myself in the need to connected them to small factor PC that doesnt use too much energy so that I can leave it on all day every day.

What is the cheapest PC (must run Windows so I can Remote Desktop to it) that I can buy that will let me connect more than 10 USB devices?

Please dont recomment me Drobos or other NAS devices, they are still too expensive :(
You should save up. Get a case that can hold most of those, and get a SATA/RAID card. Pair with a low power i3/H77 or even an Atom/E-450 if you aren't going to ask anything outside of serving up the data. You're looking at $300-600 depending.
fuck the pricing though :(
AMD is dropping prices on the 7850, 7870, and 7950. 7950 is going to $329. This is a card that launched at $500, and will spank a 660Ti with a slight overclock. The thing has so much overhead too.

Welp I got all my parts today. Starting the build tonight. The final specs are:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K 3.4 (Ivy Bridge)
MOBO: Intel DZ77BH-55K
VGA: XFX 7850 2gb
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
HDD: WD 500gb 7200RPM
MEM: Corsair 8gb (Dual 4gb sticks) DDR3 1600
PSU: Seasonic 550W (reused from old system which was early 2007)

You should save up. Get a case that can hold most of those, and get a SATA/RAID card. Pair with a low power i3/H77 or even an Atom/E-450 if you aren't going to ask anything outside of serving up the data. You're looking at $300-600 depending.

AMD is dropping prices on the 7850, 7870, and 7950. 7950 is going to $329. This is a card that launched at $500, and will spank a 660Ti with a slight overclock. The thing has so much overhead too.

There are cases out there that can hold 8-10 HDDs? any names that you can think of?

Welp I got all my parts today. Starting the build tonight. The final specs are:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K 3.4 (Ivy Bridge)
MOBO: Intel DZ77BH-55K
VGA: XFX 7850 2gb
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
HDD: WD 500gb 7200RPM
MEM: Corsair 8gb (Dual 4gb sticks) DDR3 1600
PSU: Seasonic 550W (reused from old system which was early 2007)

This is the same build that I have right now (other than the 7850), I think you will be a very happy man until your next build. Im in love with my rig.

even that 7950 is expensive since 300 and over is deemed way too much for my brain (im pushing it as it is at 250-260 tbh) but i want something that will last a bit. :(

how much is the 7850 going for now?

mkenyon

Banned
There are cases out there that can hold 8-10 HDDs? any names that you can think of?
Fractal Arc Midi + Define R4, NZXT Source 210 Elite hold 8.

Silverstone KL04, TJ04 both hold 9.

Raven RV03, Fractal Define XL hold 10, and a host of really expensive Lian Li cases.

There's others out there that hold as many, but none that I would recommend.

----------------------------------------

Not sure on the 7850 pricing yet. I'd imagine a $20-30 drop.

Fractal Arc Midi + Define R4, NZXT Source 210 Elite hold 8.

Silverstone KL04, TJ04 both hold 9.

Raven RV03, Fractal Define XL hold 10, and a host of really expensive Lian Li cases.

There's others out there that hold as many, but none that I would recommend.

----------------------------------------

Not sure on the 7850 pricing yet. I'd imagine a $20-30 drop.

Awesome, thanks for the list!

d[-_-]b

Banned
d[-_-]b;40908321 said:
Maybe it's good to ask here, my GTX460 doesn't let my PSU start up when it's plugged in tested with both my 600W (OCZ Stealth X Stream?) and my 530W (Raidmax RX-530?), so should I just assume it's the card that's gone?
Any help :O?

Is there any real difference (besides extra features which don't affect performance) between these motherboards:
MSI Z77A-G43
MSI Z77MA-G45
MSI Z77A-G45
ASUS P8Z77-V LX

The first option is cheapest and other mobos only offer additional slots which I am not planning to use.

Thank you

fresh install.

it completes the logo.

running 8gig ram
i3570k on stock

Checking the times at the moment. 20-30 seconds is decent actually, because I figure the whole mobo starting takes a significant chunk. He's running on 2500k and 8gig ram as well. The mobo he has is an ASrock z77 pro 3. I can't check his start speed atm. I'll check it tomorrow . I'm on 35 seconds.

Yup, the mobo takes up a good chunk of the time.

Im on a ASrock pro 4.
Just a random comment, but my old Gigabyte P35 Windows booted quicker than my then new Asus Z77. The P35 never completed the logo, while the Asus always does. same SSD too.

vg260

I need some advice. I messed up my Phenom II 975 BE while trying to get the stock fan off. Much to my chagrin, it looks like the same model is discontinued, and the new FXs aren't much better. I don't want to buy whole new MB or replace it with a slower model (965) or switch to intel now. That's a whole new can of worms.

Does anyone have recommendations on with AMD chip would get me back up running no worse than before for the cheapest? The FX-4170 seems the most reasonable. My MB is AM3+ compatible. I don't wanna mess w/ overclocking either.

ginuwine

Neo Member
So, it's time for a new PC (e8400, hd4870 currently... yeah) I'm confident I made a good build that will last me a while, hoping for 2-3 years, then swapping out the GPU for a better one, unless the CPU will bottleneck by then?

Anyway here is the build:

GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II TOP € 319,-

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed € 206,-

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB € 71,90

SSD: Samsung 830 series 256GB € 173,50

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO € 25,80

PSU: Antec Basiq BP550Plus € 64,27

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL € 54,80

Motherboard: Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP € 78,80

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black € 99,89

Total € 1.093,96

Couple of things I'm hoping to get help with:

. Is that a good mobo?
. Does buying a € 200 motherboard have any advantage over a cheap one besides extra slots and features?
. Will that PSU be able to handle a new GPU in 2-3 years? (if its not dead by then, obviously)
. I'm not 100% set on the GPU yet. here are the options:

1. Asus Geforce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II TOP € 319 - WITH Borderlands 2 (+/- €40). I will buy borderlands 2 anyway, so this saves me even more money over the other option.

2. Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD € 395 - I see people here recommend the windforce, this is not that exact one but it's close, I believe it's just clocked a little lower.

Now I wonder if the 660 Ti will last me 2-3 years because by then I will upgrade it anyway. going for the 660 ti will save me about € 115 because of borderlands 2. don't know if the 670 is worth 115 more?

Thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if I made any grammar/spelling mistakes, I'm not a native speaker :).

Varna

So I just installed my 690 GTX. It seems to be working fine... however. GPUZ is giving me a pretty troubling report. In the "Bus interface" section, it reads. PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x2 3.0... shouldn't it read PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x8 (or 16)?

Could my mobo be the problem? P8Z68-V PRO. It doesn't support 3.0 PCI-E, but it should work fine otherwise...

ScRYeD

recently got a gtx 690 on the cheap and thinking about going water cooling since no matter what I do the 690 gets to 70+ degrees in winter and throttles.

System

i5 2500k 4.5GHz
Asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3
16g gskill Ares

Now before I water cool is it worth upgrading my CPU to an ivy bridge (flashing the bios of course) with my current motherboard or just get a new z77 board.

Salaadin

Just installed my 660ti, it booted ok. I installed the drivers and reboot and now im stuck on the post screen. It just hangs and doesnt ever load into windows. Any ideas?

GA P55UD4P Mobo
I5 750 CPU
650W antec ea650 psu

EDIT: Seems to be good now. Re-seated everything and checked/reinserted all power connectors. Looks good.

Hard to dig through this thread, but are there any decent AMD CPUs for a modest build? Yeah, I heard Bulldozer sucks, but are they cheap enough for a DECENT build? Not looking for top of the line. The Intel ones are very good, but the price is a little steep for someone trying to save money for a car, but need to upgrade their PC. Something cool and power efficient would be nice.

neoanarch

Hard to dig through this thread, but are there any decent AMD CPUs for a modest build? Yeah, I heard Bulldozer sucks, but are they cheap enough for a DECENT build? Not looking for top of the line. The Intel ones are very good, but the price is a little steep for someone trying to save money for a car, but need to upgrade their PC. Something cool and power efficient would be nice.

Someone will give you a better answer but, I've been looking at CPUs lateley and no Intel chips are much better at every price point at the moment. The new AMD APUs would seem to be a good deal but aren't compatible with am3 so you'd have to upgrade the motherboard.

jns

Does anyone have the TSK version of the S27A850? I've read conflicting reports from people saying the new TSK model has a HDMI port? This isn't a make or break issue for me, but it would be nice to confirm or deny. [EDIT] A friend just confirmed the newer model does NOT have HDMI

Thanks guys.

Hi guys, just wanted to quote myself and say the "T" version of the Samsung SA850T does have a HDMI input. I just successfully tried my 360 and it worked fine. The sound outputs to the headphone jack, and of course, the picture looks like ass.

Just a FYI because I found many conflicting reports.

seldead

Just as I'm about to bite the bullet on a AU$420 Gigabyte 670 OC, I find a sale on the HIS 7950 IceQ Turbo for $299. It's like 90% of the power for two thirds of the price. That's an insane deal but I don't know how much I'd regret missing out on the extra performance of the 670.

I hate gpu shopping *sigh*
Can some sane person give me insight??

Is that graphics card good enough to play current games?

i wanna build a computer and it shall have those components:

processor: Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80623I52500K)
graphics card: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7770 OC, 1GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort (11201-05-20G)
mainboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, H77 (dual PC3-12800U DDR3)
RAM: 8GB Ram
One 64GB SSD for the OS and 750GB for the rest.

the price is around 500-600€ for all the components here in germany. would this be enough?

Why the H77? You can't overclock.

suko_32

Just as I'm about to bite the bullet on a AU$420 Gigabyte 670 OC, I find a sale on the HIS 7950 IceQ Turbo for $299. It's like 90% of the power for two thirds of the price. That's an insane deal but I don't know how much I'd regret missing out on the extra performance of the 670.

I hate gpu shopping *sigh*
Can some sane person give me insight??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130782

$367.99 after coupon, and sell borderlands 2 code for $30? Other than that I dunno.

Noaloha

Quick, probably silly, question:

I'm considering not getting both SSD + HDD to finish my build this month. Rather, I think I'm just going to put in the SSD, then add in a HDD a month or two later once I want to start adding my music library.

If I do this, at the point where I eventually install the HDD as additional storage, will I be fine simply plug-and-playing it? That is to say, I won't have to also fanny around reinstalling everything again on the SSD right?

I don't think I will (I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary) but I don't want to take that assumption for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom