• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbul

Thanks to mkenyon and kharma45 for the advice on my build proposal.

After a lot of refining and decision making I am now looking at the following final build:

MOBO:Asus Sabertooth Z77 Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard
HDPrimary:Samsung 128GB 830 Series SSD - Solid State Drive - MZ-7PC128B/WW
RAM:Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel
PSU:Corsair CMPSU-750AXUK Professional Series Gold AX 750W Modular Power Supply
CASE:Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus, Black Midi Tower Gaming Case no PSU
GCARD:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 3X NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB
CPU:Intel CPU Core i5 3570K3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail
HDStorage:Seagate 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Drive ST2000DM001 7200rpm 64MB Cache7200
OPTIC:Samsung SATA 22x DVD Writer SH-S222BB/BEBE Black Internal OEM
COOLER:Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue

Saved some pennies on the case and went for a better motherboard and graphics card. I would have opted for the CM212+ cooler but the store I am looking at has none in stock for some time and I'd really like to get this built next week so splashed out on the Zalman as an alternative as I don't see any size issues with the high Corsair RAM.

I opted for the HAF as I really need a case that is no more than 505mm deep and it seemed to have some good reviews and I like the option of taking out the 3.5 bay tray and popping the SSD bracket on there. I think the only other option was the Antec 902+

Anyone able to see any immediate problems here or offer a final tweak?

Blitzhex

So, my old 790i Ultra board and q9550 are failing. I'm planning to get a 3570k and a Z77X UD3H board with some low profile samsung ram. What the opinions on this board? Is it good for overclocking or should I go for a P8Z77-V?
Also, would I see an increase in performance in general computing/games going from a 3.8 ghz q9550 to a 4.2ish (or however much I can push it on air) 3570k?

Enlil

Does anyone know if the Z77 motherboards with a 4 pin 12 volt attached on the motherboard is enough to power a ivy bridge processor? Just to make sure these parts go together.

Now i am trying to find this: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Adapter-4pin...Domain_146&hash=item5884f1b433#ht_1247wt_1186

I can't test my pc to see if it works, the company where i bought everything doesn't even acknowledge their fault. i asked them 3 times if these parts go together.

when i turn the pc on it shuts down, because there is no power going to the 4 pin 12 ATX.

this sucks monkey balls.

Ok, been looking around and I got some question on building a relatively cheap rig while salvaging parts from my old PC.

Here's the thing, I bought a PC from HP a few years ago for 300 dollars. It is NOT top of the line to say the least. The reason was back then, I lost my job, but my PC also died and out of warranty. Now I'm ready to upgrade and I think I have an idea on what I want, but still need to figure out CPU.

Here's the thing, while that PC isn't top of the line, it's still in very decent condition. I have at least 2 fully functioning 500GB hardrives that I can use. the thing is, I heard companies like HP and crap locked the hardware so you can't reuse for parts for other systems. Is that true? If not, I can save myself some money and go for a OCZ 90 GB Agility 3 SSD.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with CPU. I read from ONE place that the bulldozer CPUs at least overclocks really well, but not sure if I want to do that to save some money.

You'd be better off with either the 2500k/3570k than Bulldozer.

Plus, I'd go with a Crucial m4 SSD. Better reliability, performance, and value.

ginuwine

Neo Member
1. Does buying a € 200 motherboard have any advantage over a cheap one besides extra slots and features?

2. Is the 670 worth the 110 it costs more? 660ti €280 vs 670 €390 - also upgrading the gpu in 2 to 3 years..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where does the 660Ti cost 280 Euros? If that's the price it will be here in Greece too maybe I should get that instead of an OC 7850 for ~10-20 less... Unless for that price range you can get a lot better...

ginuwine

Neo Member
Where does the 660Ti cost 280 Euros? If that's the price it will be here in Greece too maybe I should get that instead of an OC 7850 for ~10-20 less... Unless for that price range you can get a lot better...

It's 310 but I deduct 30 cause of Borderlands 2, which I don't get with the 670.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys I was looking for a device that I can wireless transmit my PC image to the TV (since they're in two different rooms but close) and wondering if it's worth getting so I can play some of my games on the big screen. Will the latency be bad or has the technology got better?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seriously no way to drill a small hole in the wall and run a long HDMI cable?

Why not? You could even get one of the coax wall mounts so it looks slightly pro. I would rather try and route it through a wall than going all the way around through a doorway.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This might be the dumbest question asked in this thread so far but here goes:

My computer is sitting on a little computer cart (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRO7O/?tag=neogaf0e-20) with wheels to keep it off the ground (basement floor with some risk of flooding) and it has the added benefit of improving airflow from the bottom.

The issue is that it rests on the thing slightly tilted (sideways, top is leaning left) because of the shape of the bottom of the case I guess. It's totally stable though.

My question is whether having the computer sitting at a slight angle is bad for my fan bearings, or anything else in there?

If so I'll have to find another elevation solution.

Babalu.

Can anyone help me? I've been playing Civilization V for the past month or so and have had no problems. But recently the game has started to freeze and it's become so bad now that I can't even play a few turns before it happens. It starts ok but then it starts messing up bad and until it becomes like the picture below or black and just freezes. I can't alt-tab or get to the task manager because it just freezes and I have to restart my computer. I've checked the temperature of my video card and it stays pretty low I think but it happens no matter what game I play. It happened during CS:GO also so i'm assuming its all games.

pwkPz.jpg

It doesn't happen if I just leave my computer on and browse the internet for hours and hours. So I'm guessing that my video card is just kind of done? I cleaned out all the dust and it still happens.

If you guys say that it is probably my video card that is done, can anyone help me find a good upgrade for my system? I've been meaning to build another computer but I don't have the funds because of my mortage and other bills. So i'de like to just upgrade the video card if that is still feasible and my whole system isn't TOO outdated.

So here is what I got: (i built it in 2008 or 2009 i think)

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz
Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit

Now i've been out of the loop for a few years now so what would be a good upgrade for my video card from a radeon 4890? I'de like to go nvidia if I can but i'm not sure if my system will take it. I'de like to keep it under $150 if possible unless the upgrade is going to really really make it worth it I can go to $200. I want the best bang for the buck. If this can keep me playing BF3, Civilization V, and other games even at medium settings for another year or 2, that would be what i'de like..

Or is my whole system not worth it and I should just build another one rather then upgrade the video card?

Asking this again since I got no response earlier. Thanks for any help!

Best micro atx case for gaf?

I want a micro-atx build but i'm still wavering between the alienware x-51 (with upgraded 660ti) and a custom build.

The alienware case is really nice but i don't like being unable to change the fans to quieter ones.

Got a question about multiple displays / HDMI audio with an Nvidia card. Nvidia forums look to be down so it's tough finding something on this.

I'm mainly happy to be back on an Nvidia card (660ti) since I didn't have the best of times with AMD, but I'm worried I lost a feature I use a lot. I have two monitors as well as an HDMI connection to a nearby TV. In the Catalyst Control Center, I had separate profiles set (with handy shortcuts pinned to the start menu) that I could click on to immediately change up my setup. One was for Dual Displays w/o TV, the main desktop setup, and one was for Display 1 + TV, which would extend the desktop onto my TV as well as set audio to output to the TV instead of my desktop speakers, all in one simple click.

I assumed that Nvidia would have a similar feature but I can't seem to find it. Every time I want to switch it up I have to go into the Nvidia control panel, enable/disable the TV as a display, and then also go into the Windows sound settings and manually change TV/speakers. It's a pain in the ass. Is there an option I'm overlooking to make this easier?

MrBig

I want a micro-atx build but i'm still wavering between the alienware x-51 (with upgraded 660ti) and a custom build.

The alienware case is really nice but i don't like being unable to change the fans to quieter ones.

Bitfenix Prodigy?

Got a question about multiple displays / HDMI audio with an Nvidia card. Nvidia forums look to be down so it's tough finding something on this.

I'm mainly happy to be back on an Nvidia card (660ti) since I didn't have the best of times with AMD, but I'm worried I lost a feature I use a lot. I have two monitors as well as an HDMI connection to a nearby TV. In the Catalyst Control Center, I had separate profiles set (with handy shortcuts pinned to the start menu) that I could click on to immediately change up my setup. One was for Dual Displays w/o TV, the main desktop setup, and one was for Display 1 + TV, which would extend the desktop onto my TV as well as set audio to output to the TV instead of my desktop speakers, all in one simple click.

I assumed that Nvidia would have a similar feature but I can't seem to find it. Every time I want to switch it up I have to go into the Nvidia control panel, enable/disable the TV as a display, and then also go into the Windows sound settings and manually change TV/speakers. It's a pain in the ass. Is there an option I'm overlooking to make this easier?

I don't think nvidia has anything like that. I just right click the desktop, go to screen resolution, and disable/enable my tv from there. Then I have Windows sound pinned to the control center shortcut on my taskbar to switch it over to HDMI sound. It's far from one click but it only takes a few seconds.

longdi

Banned
Tj08e is a classy nondescript looking matx case that has a great air cooling layout but it is like 2.5x the width of x51..

ginuwine

Neo Member

windows key + p

dunno about the audio though

windows key + p

dunno about the audio though

Win-P seemingly only handles two displays, it doesn't give options for a third.

Going to the screen resolution menu and then the playback devices menu isn't that much of a pain, I guess, but it's a bit annoying when the CCC let you create a single button for everything.

Thraktor

The Fractal Define Mini looks pretty nice. It's basically a smaller version of the Define R3/R4, and should suit if you're looking for something quiet. Not that small for a mATX case, though, especially compared to something like the X-51.

So a few times now my PC has experienced an unexpected shutdown, seemingly when going to sleep after X minutes. I ran sfc /scannow which found no problems and Microsoft Security Essentials is finding no problems. Any ideas GAF??

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So a few times now my PC has experienced an unexpected shutdown, seemingly when going to sleep after X minutes. I ran sfc /scannow which found no problems and Microsoft Security Essentials is finding no problems. Any ideas GAF??
Do you have an SSD? Disable PPL Overvoltage (iirc). Or google SSD and Sleep issues.
First time building a PC, would love some criticism on the below. Looking to get the most bang for my buck. Budget ~ $800. Im not quite sure if everything below is compatible with each other.

I have a Raidmax Smilodon Case and Ultra X3 800W psu that I am looking to hopefully use to save some money. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Nice formatting :)

I'd swap in a 2500K, but that looks fine to me. Replace your PSU when you can.
If I'm looking to get a GTX 670, which one is the best? A friend says Gigabyte's Windforce or whatever. Good advice?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=GTX+670

(Amazon search results for reference, second one is Windforce looks like).
Yup

kharma45

First time building a PC, would love some criticism on the below. Looking to get the most bang for my buck. Budget ~ $800. Im not quite sure if everything below is compatible with each other.

I have a Raidmax Smilodon Case and Ultra X3 800W psu that I am looking to hopefully use to save some money. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Get a 2500K instead of that 2400.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
btw I'm back and busy, but when I'm not dead tired I should update the OP GPU section. Just to sub in the 660Ti, not a big deal.

mkenyon

Banned

Go mini ITX. Both ASUS's and ASRock's Z77 ITX boards are phenomenal, and offer great overclocking potential. Pair with a Silverstone FT03 mini if you want a fancy case, or a BitFenix Prodigy if you want a hassle-free build that can run super cool and quiet. The included fans in the Prodigy are silent operating, and you can fit any cooler you want in it. Still modding one that I received from BitFenix a little while ago, and it's one of my most favorite cases I've ever tinkered with.

If you want more than one expansion slot though and therefore want to stick with mATX, Fractal Arc Mini, Define Mini, Lian Li PC-A04, PC-V600, PC-V354, Silverstone FT03, TJ08E, and PS07 are all great cases. TJ08E, A04, V600, and Arc Mini are the most hassle free in terms of not needing to choose parts carefully.
btw I'm back and busy, but when I'm not dead tired I should update the OP GPU section. Just to sub in the 660Ti, not a big deal.
Slacker!

:p

(throwin' stones in a glass house here)

Smidget

Thanks! What PSU would you suggest?

Although I don't have the Hazaro street cred ;)... personally, I'd recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=corsair 430

I have a 2500K, Hyper 212, 6870, 16GB RAM, SSD, 3 other internal HDDs, 1 DVD+-RW and 1 PCIe Asus soundcard and it runs it all without a hitch, super cheap too after mail in rebate which shows up really fast... Used it both my build and a less intensive build for my dad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Although I don't have the Hazaro street cred ;)... personally, I'd recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=corsair 430

I have a 2500K, Hyper 212, 6870, 16GB RAM, SSD, 3 other internal HDDs, 1 DVD+-RW and 1 PCIe Asus soundcard and it runs it all without a hitch, super cheap too after mail in rebate which shows up really fast... Used it both my build and a less intensive build for my dad.
The 430v2 was something I had before the Antec VP450. I'd certainly spend a bit more on a PSU powering a 660Ti as both of those units are effectively 380W PSUs.
Not to say they can't run it, but you do want to account for wear and degradation.

Ok, I'm kind of pissed, but I cannot blame anyone but myself for this - my GTX 570 that I got last November already feels dated because it can't run the latest games 1080p @ max settings. Grrrrr. What is the current top of the line and 2nd best Nvidia card out there? Am I nuts for wanting to upgrade already?

edit: rest of rig is i7 2600k, 16GB ram, and one of the recommended asus motherboards. My rig is, by most standards, beastly but I still can't believe a 570 already feels sluggish on things like Sleeping Dogs.

edit 2: nm I suppose I could read the OP for recommendations just like I did last time. I suppose part of my question was just to vent as well.

MrBig

Ok, I'm kind of pissed, but I cannot blame anyone but myself for this - my GTX 570 that I got last November already feels dated because it can't run the latest games 1080p @ max settings. Grrrrr. What is the current top of the line and 2nd best Nvidia card out there? Am I nuts for wanting to upgrade already?

Waiting for Maxwell would be a much better investment unless you can find a good price to sell the 570 before getting a new card to cover losses. Moving up to only a 670/680 isn't super justifiable for the cost.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I just discovered that my 6950 CF runs really hot when 2 monitors are connected. 90 C in game. But with the other monitor disabled (which isn't even used in the game) it runs 65 C. I'm not even overclocking, airflow is good, no dust. And yes the sensor was correct, I had to wait 5 minutes before I could take out my GPUs to dust them because they were really hot.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a workaround other than powering off the second monitor and going to display properties and detecting it to shut of the GPU process for it?

I'm confused. Where did my SpeedStep go? Default Bios settings turn it back on, but as soon as I overclock (regardless of what I change), it just stops throttling my cpu down during idle. What gives?

RS4-

I just discovered that my 6950 CF runs really hot when 2 monitors are connected. 90 C in game. But with the other monitor disabled (which isn't even used in the game) it runs 65 C. I'm not even overclocking, airflow is good, no dust. And yes the sensor was correct, I had to wait 5 minutes before I could take out my GPUs to dust them because they were really hot.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a workaround other than powering off the second monitor and going to display properties and detecting it to shut of the GPU process for it?

I thought this was normal when you run multi mon, even when the other isn't in "use" per se.

knitoe

I'm confused. Where did my SpeedStep go? Default Bios settings turn it back on, but as soon as I overclock (regardless of what I change), it just stops throttling my cpu down during idle. What gives?

Make sure to have C1, C3 and C6 enable. Sometimes, having them just on auto does not work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I thought this was normal when you run multi mon, even when the other isn't in "use" per se.

Really? The PC I build next year will have after market coolers on the GPUs then. 90C seems too hot.

ginuwine

Neo Member
About to order this:

GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed

SSD: Samsung 830 series 256GB

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

PSU: Antec Basiq BP550Plus

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 PRO4

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black

I added the newegg links because it's easy, I can however not order from there because I'm from Holland.

The thing I'm still not sure about is whether to get Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD or MSI GTX 660Ti. The difference in price is +/- $140, is the 670 worth that price difference, when you also take in mind I will most likely upgrade the GPU in 2-3 years?

RS4-

Really? The PC I build next year will have after market coolers on the GPUs then. 90C seems too hot.

Whoops sorry, not the 90c part but the extra heat from the multi mon, even not used.

I'm not sure what would cause the temps to rise that high.

Firehead

Looking into upgrading my GTX 460. Considering SLI-ing first though, considering the price, would it at all be worth it?
Found one on eBay for $90, but the model number is two up from mine. Mine is a P3-1360-TR and the one listed is P3-1362. Would that prevent me from SLI-ing and how much performance increase would I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom