• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the price drops haven't come into effect yet in the USA hold off, that 7950 should get cheaper again.

Yep.

The drop is supposedly coming at the end of the week.

It seems my pc didn't work. Send it all back today. What a shit experience! cost: 73 euro's!! I am probably going to pay for repair cost.

thought I was gonna make some music this weekend. at least my music equipment is working.

Wait, what happened here?

The last thing i remember was you being pissed that your power supply and motherboard didn't go well together in terms of power connectors

antitrop

Ordered about half of the parts for my new PC:

Intel i5 3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
ASUS GTX-670
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Samsung SSD 830 64GB
Antec HCG-620
Cooler Master HAF XM
Scythe Ninja 3 Heatsink

Can't wait for this fucker.
Enjoy running every game on the market on maximum graphical settings! =)

What mouse grip do you use? Claw or palm?

I use palm grip and my Roccat Kone on a Taito mousemat has been the smoothest thing I've ever used in 10~ years of competitive gaming. For reference, I use a sensitivity of 400 dpi, ~1.3 in game (roughly 50cm per 360°) The G500 is good though, yes. I'm going to assume you're American; roccat don't sell anything over there I believe, unfortunately.

As for keyboards, there isn't going to be a huge difference between membrane keyboards outside of features/build quality. If you want something that lasts a /long/ time and feels better to type with, look at mechanical keyboards. I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 which is excellent, but not everyone is willing to spend 100£ on a keyboard.

My hand stance is in-between those. I'm also British and saw the G500 for £36 on Amazon and the keyboard for another £43. I can't see myself spending more than that one a keyboard but will take a look at the Roccat items.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955
GPU: XFX GeForce 460
Mem: G. Skillz 8 GB

I game at 1080p so would I be doing well by just upgrading the GPU to a 660/670 or should I be looking at upgrading my CPU first?

kharma45

I game at 1080p so would I be doing well by just upgrading the GPU to a 660/670 or should I be looking at upgrading my CPU first?

I'd OC your CPU as you should be able to get a good boost out of it, and whilst it'll bottleneck a bit, it'll still be fine for most stuff and will last at until Intel's new line comes out.

A quick Google around makes it seem like 4GHz is an attainable target for the 955.

I'd OC your CPU as you should be able to get a good boost out of it, and whilst it'll bottleneck a bit, it'll still be fine for most stuff and will last at until Intel's new line comes out.

I was leaning that way, just needed some verification. It'll be a lot easier to sell a new video card to the wife than a new CPU ("didn't you just get a new one?"). lol

kharma45

I was leaning that way, just needed some verification. It'll be a lot easier to sell a new video card to the wife than a new CPU ("didn't you just get a new one?"). lol

Out of the two if it were me I'd go for the GPU, the Phenom will keep going for a while longer yet if you get a good OC out of it.

Others of course may disagree but it's what I'd do anyway, and then save towards a new CPU/mobo when Haswell comes out.

Out of the two if it were me I'd go for the GPU, the Phenom will keep going for a while longer yet if you get a good OC out of it.

Others of course may disagree but it's what I'd do anyway, and then save towards a new CPU/mobo when Haswell comes out.

My plan is to just upgrade the GPU, let the CPU run its course and then when I'm ready to get a new system (probably early 2014), put my existing system into my daughter's "playroom" and my son can use it as well for school stuff, freeing up time for me on my system.

Spl1nter

I was just in a very similar situation, x4 965 and 5770. I upgraded the 5770 to a 670 and OC the 965 to 4. No games are really available at the moment were the bottleneck will cause you to have less than 60 fps other than BF3 (average is higher but it will dip below 60).

Dgott

Banned
I'm wanting to join the ranks of PC gaming and get away from this Dell junker laptop, but good god am I scared to buy into the world of Desktop PC gaming. I'm afraid I'll buy the wrong CPU, the wrong GPU and then be outdated in 6 months cause I didnt buy the right stuff. (which is also why i have a hard time playing Skyrim or LA NOIRE, because I always feel like I picked the wrong thing.) lol

Spl1nter

I'm wanting to join the ranks of PC gaming and get away from this Dell junker laptop, but good god am I scared to buy into the world of Desktop PC gaming. I'm afraid I'll buy the wrong CPU, the wrong GPU and then be outdated in 6 months cause I didnt buy the right stuff. (which is also why i have a hard time playing Skyrim or LA NOIRE, because I always feel like I picked the wrong thing.) lol

read the OP.

CatPee

Follow the guide in the OP and you're golden.

As others have pointed out, the secret is in the thread title.

SnakeNL

I changed my setup to the following

HDD: Western Digital Green WD20EARX, 2TB € 97,95
DVD Drive: LG GH24NS90 € 15,62
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred € 100,82
CPU Fan: Scythe Mugen 3 PC Games Hardware Edition € 37,-
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD € 387
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed € 206,-
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 620W € 84.70
SSD: Samsung 830 series 256GB € 173,95
Memory: G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB € 51,70
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 € 161

Total
€ 1.310,79

Is this a good setup ?

Can someone say if this is a good setup ?

Enlil

Yep.

The drop is supposedly coming at the end of the week.

Wait, what happened here?

The last thing i remember was you being pissed that your power supply and motherboard didn't go well together in terms of power connectors

It seemed the power supply was missing a cable. I emailed Cooler master in the Netherlands and I had to make a copy of my receipt, mailed it and the next day received the 4+4pin.

the motherboard and psu go together. For some reason the cable was missing. The guy at cooler master said that the cable should be included. But i am used to these things. every time i buy something form the internet it becomes a shit experience.

I double checked everything. even used the psu on another pc and it worked. I think it's a motherboard failure or either the on/of button doesn't work. I will know in a few day's. I either get an email with we will replace some parts or I will have to pay for another motherboard and pay assembly/research cost. So in the end payed the extra 100 euro's. I should have just bought everything in the store.

Can someone say if this is a good setup ?

that's an expensive case. is it mid or high tower?
WD green got lots of bad reviews. I changed to WD Black.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm about to install my new SSD on my existing PC. Is it true that I have to disconnect the HDD in order to install Windows on the SSD? Is it just a precaution to avoid accidentally wiping out your HDD, or will it prevent you from installing Windows entirely?

How much do you guys think this system is worth? It's a dell xps 630i with the following system specs. Going to attempt to sell it on craigslist.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
MOBO Dell Inc 0PP150
600GB HD
2 NVidia GTX 9800s

SnakeNL

Not a fan of the case for that price. CM690II, Arc MIDI, Define R4 are all better choices.

As others pointed out, WD Greens have a bad rep.

How about a Samsung Spinpoint F4 HDD is that a good choice ?
And i like a case with a window what other options are there, the corsair 500R ?

mkenyon

Banned
How about a Samsung Spinpoint F4 HDD is that a good choice ?
And i like a case with a window what other options are there, the corsair 500R ?
R4 has a windowed model.

Otherwise, a dremel, u channel rubber, a piece of acrylic, and some double sided tape will suit you fine.

Artchur

So, just about to start peiceing together my new build. I have an Antec Eleven Hundred case (one exhaust fan top mounted and one rear exhaust fan mounted). I plan on OC'ing a i5 3570k and running it with the gigabyte gtx670.

Is it worthwhile investing in some additional fans? There is a mount for a 120mm fan directly behind the CPU, is this overkill or will it help with OC'ing?

Thanks!

legacyzero

Banned
GAF, I have $1000 (hypothetical). Build me a new gaming rig NAO.

Need:

-Case
-CPU/mobo
-GPU
-SSD

Already have:

-8 BG memory
-1 TB HDD
-750 PSU
-DVD RW

What does GAF recommend? Some links. I'm going to be upgrading withing the next few months

GO.

legacyzero

Banned
The OP has all you'd need and more. Pick what you like and then ask if anyone recommends this over that.
Oh I know that, I'm just asking personally. I have trouble with the combinations of those items, what Mobos with with what CPUs/Cases.

Still kinda nooby with this.

CaLe

Gaffers, I was going to sell my crossfire XFX 6870s on eBay but thought it might benefit someone else here instead. I'm getting a GTX 670.

One of them was used for about 2 years, the other just above a year. I still have the boxes and the crossfire bridge.

I wanted to let them go for 200$, I figured they would go pretty fast on eBay, so I'm asking here first to see if anyone's interested.

Giving back to the community and all that :)

P.S: I live in Montreal, Canada. Something to take into consideration. I can ship to the States and the U.S, obviously you'd pay for shipping.

legacyzero

Banned
So here's what I came up with. Even came up with about $100 to spare! Would there be a better GPU that I could go with over the 660 ti for that $100 extra??

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
CASE: Inwin Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower Case

Ok, What say you GAF?

Neckbeard

Terribly upset: I just realized the SSD I bought is only SATA II.

Is this even worth installing or should I put it up on ebay?

Edit: on second thought, I've got an OCZ Agility3 that's 60GB in my laptop.

I'll probably switch with this 120GB Corsair Force that I ordered too hastily.

Fuck me :(

Neckbeard

So here's what I came up with. Even came up with about $100 to spare! Would there be a better GPU that I could go with over the 660 ti for that $100 extra??

Ok, What say you GAF?

Get a "real" hard drive too.

samsung drives are all rebranded seagate drives at this point. so the quality isnt there anymore. OP is a bit dated when it comes to hard drives.

I knew about the rebranding stuff but i thought it didn't really matter quality wise (since Seagate drives are an option also along with WD Blacks)

Just checked newegg and it looks like the new prices have kicked in for the 7850s, except the MSI Twin Frozr apparently (i guess its due to the MSI being on one of those newegg promotions earilier today)

Sapphire killing it with their 7850s at $189 for normal and $199 for the OC version.

Forz

I absolutely love this thread.

I'm in the midst of building my new PC largely based off of the Excellent build.

CPU - i5 3570k
MB - Asus P8Z77-V LK
HD - Samsung F3
Heatsink - Cooler Master 212
Power Supply, RAM, SSD, and GPU are still to be decided (I'm largely buying things as they go on sell)

I'll be coming from a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram and a 4870 so I'm hoping it will be a pretty large improvement.

I have two questions though:
1. Although it's overkill I've decided I want 16 gigs of ram. Ignoring the ability to expand later is there any reason to get 2x8 sticks over 4x4?
2. The two games I'm looking to be playing for the next few months are Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2. I was all set on the Gigabyte 660ti until AMD announced the price drop. I'm finding it hard to argue with the $199 Sapphire 7850. I'm hoping someone could push me in one direction or the other. One thing I wasn't sure of is what I might be missing out going to an AMD card since Borderlands 2 utilizes PhysX.

How big of an upgrade is this 6870 card over my current 5770? I could maybe go a step up from a 6870 depending on the price-point right now.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3

I think I might replace my crummy Maxtor 500GB Sata HDD to a 1TB - any HDD recommendations?

Thanks y'all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
samsung drives are all rebranded seagate drives at this point. so the quality isnt there anymore. OP is a bit dated when it comes to hard drives.
Did they replace the existing model or start a new line?

Ok, What say you GAF?
212 heatsink. Z77 mobo. Personally id get a 830 ssd and gigabyte.asus.msi 670.
Terribly upset: I just realized the SSD I bought is only SATA II.

Is this even worth installing or should I put it up on ebay?

Edit: on second thought, I've got an OCZ Agility3 that's 60GB in my laptop.

I'll probably switch with this 120GB Corsair Force that I ordered too hastily.

Fuck me :(
Depends on the ssd. If its sata ii it probably doesnt go much over that.
I absolutely love this thread.

I'm in the midst of building my new PC largely based off of the Excellent build.

CPU - i5 3570k
MB - Asus P8Z77-V LK
HD - Samsung F3
Heatsink - Cooler Master 212
Power Supply, RAM, SSD, and GPU are still to be decided (I'm largely buying things as they go on sell)

I'll be coming from a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram and a 4870 so I'm hoping it will be a pretty large improvement.

I have two questions though:
1. Although it's overkill I've decided I want 16 gigs of ram. Ignoring the ability to expand later is there any reason to get 2x8 sticks over 4x4?
2. The two games I'm looking to be playing for the next few months are Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2. I was all set on the Gigabyte 660ti until AMD announced the price drop. I'm finding it hard to argue with the $199 Sapphire 7850. I'm hoping someone could push me in onhe gdirection or the other. One thing I wasn't sure of is what I might be missing out going to an AMD card since Borderlands 2 utilizes PhysX.
Two sticks is easier on the mobo.?/
Personally i dont care for physx at all. 660ti is amazing value for 1080. As is the 7850
How big of an upgrade is this 6870 card over my current 5770? I could maybe go a step up from a 6870 depending on the price-point right now.

I think I might replace my crummy Maxtor 500GB Sata HDD to a 1TB - any HDD recommendations?

Thanks y'all.
Check the anandtech bench link in the op or on their website for a rough comparison.

mkenyon

Banned

Thanks y'all.
Save up, it's not significant enough to really warrant it. I'd wait until you can afford either something more significant (670, 7950, 7870) or until you can go CPU + GPU in a go.

Ok, What say you GAF?

Get the CM212+ instead of the Hymper N520
I like 7950 or 7870 over the 660Ti, they'll perform better than it down the line due to bandwidth.

For case, swap it for a Fractal Define R4, Arc Midi, or Bitfenix Shinobi XL if you want something bigger. If you like the aggressive look, the HAF XM is a good choice too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey posted this in the Screenshots thread but was directed here. Hoping to get some help.

I'm trying to overclock my GPU. It's a GTX 570. Whenever I up the voltage, the GPU clock starts to fluctuate during the benchmark. Okay whatever. Then I keep the stock voltage and start upping the memory clock a bit until it seems reliable. Then I bump up the GPU clock a bit and everything seems okay. Then when I bump any of the three up, the GPU clock starts fluctuating again during the benchmark, starting at around 825, then cutting in half, then back up, back down, and at some points down to 1/4th of the set GPU clock.

Does that mean I'm pushing it too hard, or is something just messing up with it? I'm attaching a picture of Precision X so you can see what I mean. Look in the lower left and you can see the graph keeps flopping up down up down up.

AJtYL.png

Hey GAF. So I bought a pre-made PC a while ago. I know next to nothing about building PCs and just wanted some kind of base to start with, so I just got this on a good deal, and figured I could update the graphics card or whatever later down the line.

So far, I have really liked this PC. But now I am kind of toying with idea of upgrading the graphics card. Like I said, I am very, very new to all of this. But what I do know is that the power supply on my pc is 500w, so my options are limited as far as the high-end graphics cards go. However, so far I am thinking of getting a Radeon HD 6850. Here's the exact one I have in mind. My current card is an AMD Radeon 6750.

So my question is: do you think the difference in performance between the two is worth the price? Or should I just wait a little while and invest in buying an even better graphics card as well as a new power supply?

Also, general advice on how I should upgrade around my current setup is welcome too.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks y'all.

Okay then, how about this Sapphire 7850 for $190?

1024 Stream Processors
2GB 256-bit GDDR5
PCI Express 3.0 x16

Neckbeard

Crossfire supports any two cards from the same generation, correct?

Even different manufacturers & specs?f

Edit to be more specific:

XFX HD 6950 1GB & Powercolor HD 6950 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom