• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

klee123

Running the same proc on a Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 with a 690.

If possible, I might suggest sending that memory back for some of this. Having nice memory (this stuff clocks to 2100 easy) is really helpful for OC'ing the 3820, as you'll need to overclock it via BCLK and multiplier in order to get past 4.3GHz.

Your system will probably have a total draw of around 350-400 depending on the OC.

You can create custom profiles for whatever game you're trying to play.

Will do, thanks for that.

AMD cuts Radeon prices:

AMD tells us we can expect to see new prices "towards the end of this week" on several of its products. Here's the skinny:

The Radeon HD 7950 (including those with Boost) drops from $349 to $319.
The Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition drops from $299 to $249.
The Radeon HD 7850 2GB drops to $209, and the 1GB version to $189.

Then again, your sense of the value equation may be swayed somewhat by Nvidia's decision to bundle a coupon for a free copy of Borderlands 2 with GTX 660 Ti cards. To counter that offer, AMD has decided to start bundling the GTA-alike Sleeping Dogs with its Radeon HD 7800-series products. That promotion is slated to begin in the next two to three weeks, ramping up the sense of parity between the various choices even further.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23447

CaLe

Beloved Gaffers, I am selling my crossfire XFX 6870 cards as I grew tired of all the incompatibility issues with games. Crossfire was not what I hoped for, and it seems (from what I saw) that nVidia has better driver support.

I also want to go back to a single card setup, much less headache.

I am thinking of getting an EVGA GTX 670 (see: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71245)

Is that a good decision ?

Thanks yet again.

Edit: Or this one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&promoid=1043

Anyone? :\

Edit: Ooops, just saw mkenyon's answer. But then creating a profile in order to disable crossfire kills the point of having two cards :\. Thanks !

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sold off my 560 ti's to this dude, both leaving my pc working 100%.

He calls me back saying one of the gpus is giving him artifacts and crashes when running stability tests.

He says that he can't run the card at stock settings without crashes and voltage tweaking won't help, however lowering the mem-clock from 2100 mhz to 1800 mhz seem to get rid of the artifacts.

So what happened?

1) did it break on its way to him?
2) can drivers attribute to something like this?
3) Anything on his end that could give results like these, maybe a weak psu or something like that?

Parl

Any of these look great, unless you need specific features like WiFi.

Almost all high-end motherboards hate sleep state. Lots of random conflicts, complex to troubleshoot. Just avoid it. Make sure that the power button is set to turn the computer off rather than hibernate.
Thanks, having 3 to choose between makes my life better :D

Except WiFi would be a good plus and a mini-ATX form factor is small enough. I want to test my assumptions on what the best build will be. If you had a budget of say £420 for the computer and operating system alone (no monitor, K&M), what would you put in it if it's for general office work? eBuyer.com and Amazon.co.uk will pretty much have the cheapest of most things.

Thanks for the help.

SnakeNL

Guys i need your help i cant decide between these 2 configurations:

HDD: Western Digital Green WD20EARX, 2TB € 97,95
DVD Drive: LG GH24NS90 € 15,62
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred € 100,82
CPU Fan: Scythe Mugen 3 PC Games Hardware Edition € 37,-
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD € 387,- or Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 € 418,-
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed € 206,-
Power Supply: Antec HCG-620M € 89,65
SSD: Samsung 830 series 256GB € 173,95
Memory: G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB € 51,70
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H € 124,90

Total
€ 1.284,59

Or

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R White € 97,10
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX550M € 75,-
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile € 43,45

Total: € 1.288,97

I need a PC what can handle high end games on a 1080p screen.
Its also nice if the pc is quiet.

So GAF what build is the best or what parts can be changed.

Guys i need your help i cant decide between these 2 configurations:

Power Supply: Antec HCG-620M € 89,65

Total
€ 1.284,59

Or

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R White € 97,10
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX550M € 75,-
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile € 43,45

Total: € 1.288,97

I need a PC what can handle high end games on a 1080p screen.
Its also nice if the pc is quiet.

So GAF what build is the best or what parts can be changed.

Don't know why you've listed the parts into two complete builds. Either way: gigabyte for the graphics card, corsair for psu, case is personal preference.

Fjordson

For gaming on a single 1920 x 1080 screen, is the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 the best GPU option at $400? This one.

(planning on pairing it with 8 GB RAM and a core i5 3570K)

Ledsen

So the PC parts finally arrived today. I installed the CPU onto the motherboard and connected the fan that came with the processor. After putting the motherboard into the case, I opened the extra fan I had bought and realised that it was designed to be placed on top of a processor, rather than connected to the tower like I had thought. It comes on top of a massive base which apparently helps with vibration absorption or something, I don't know.

This is the fan:

35-186-134-Z01

After a little bit of Googling I discovered that the fan can be removed from the base like in the second image here.

Which leaves me wondering whether I should remove the fan from its base and attach it to the side of my tower like I had originally planned or remove the default fan from the processor, replace it with the fan I bought and then put the processor fan on the side of my tower instead.

Thoughts? I hope this question makes sense lol

The base is for cooling. The heat from your processor is absorbed and spread out through the long copper pipes and the fan blows it away. It's a CPU fan so you put it on your CPU and nowhere else.

GatorFan

Banned
Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master R4's (especially in a HAF 912)? Looking to get a few of them for my build in preparation for overclocking. They are on sale with rebate :)

Also, is 500w enough headroom for a 2500k, 560ti, 1TB 7200rpm drive, and ssd? Can I get a 600 series video card or sli the 560 without issue? Thanks!

Ledsen

Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master R4's (especially in a HAF 912)? Looking to get a few of them for my build in preparation for overclocking. They are on sale with rebate :)

Also, is 500w enough headroom for a 2500k, 560ti, 1TB 7200rpm drive, and ssd? Can I get a 600 series video card or sli the 560 without issue? Thanks!

It's enough for one card but not for SLI.

Mareg

Hello,

Just wanted to warn some potential buyers of the Cooler Master HAF 912 case.
And it is somewhat related to a previous gaffer who wants to buy specific case fans for overclocking.

Alright so don't get me wrong, I would still rate this case very high for all its positives. Cable management is stellar, there is a lot of room and everything is made easy with a lot of options to get a very clean build.
Now the only minus, but it is a very big one, is the side panel mesh. Google it if you need, but this is a huge flaw of the case design. You CANNOT mount a side fan for intake through that mesh design. Exaust is fine but that is usually not the way people like to configure airflow. That nice videocard likes getting cold air pushed its way.
When configured for intake, it is producing some of the worst humming sound I have ever heard. If you are a heavy moder, you can get rid of the mesh entirely but I doubt the buyer of this allegedly budget case will have the skill to do so or will even bother.
And I've tried everything to eleviate the humming. Different quality fans, even variable fan speed (controled by the fan itself). Rubber gromets didn't help either.

So if you don't plan to use a side panel intake fan, this case is fantastic. Otherwise I would suggest you invest in a better designed case if you value a silent build.

ACE 1991

Do newegg orders shipped through UPS usually require a signature for deliveries? I live in a wealthy area so the driver should feel comfortable leaving my monitor at the door, but I'm not sure if newegg requires one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do newegg orders shipped through UPS usually require a signature for deliveries? I live in a wealthy area so the driver should feel comfortable leaving my monitor at the door, but I'm not sure if newegg requires one.
Not for me.
For gaming on a single 1920 x 1080 screen, is the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 the best GPU option at $400? This one.

(planning on pairing it with 8 GB RAM and a core i5 3570K)
Yes
Sold off my 560 ti's to this dude, both leaving my pc working 100%.

He calls me back saying one of the gpus is giving him artifacts and crashes when running stability tests.

He says that he can't run the card at stock settings without crashes and voltage tweaking won't help, however lowering the mem-clock from 2100 mhz to 1800 mhz seem to get rid of the artifacts.

So what happened?

1) did it break on its way to him?
2) can drivers attribute to something like this?
3) Anything on his end that could give results like these, maybe a weak psu or something like that?
Any of the above.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there no way to get a wireless 360 controller to work with a cable on PC, you can only use it with the wireless receiver? I have one that I want to use with a laptop, and if I have to plug something in anyway, I figured I might as well not use up batteries.

is there no way to get a wireless 360 controller to work with a cable on PC, you can only use it with the wireless receiver? I have one that I want to use with a laptop, and if I have to plug something in anyway, I figured I might as well not use up batteries.
has to be a cabled controller. Wireless only work though transmitter and cable charges the plug and play if you have it.

SnakeNL

I changed my setup to the following

GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD € 387
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 620W € 84.70
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 € 161

Total
€ 1.310,79

Is this a good setup ?

RS4-

I'm on a 2GB 6950, was going to cave and buy a 670 but considering the price drops of the 7850/7870, its about a $120-150 difference now.

Which one should I get? The DCII? The MSI Twin Frozr? I'm leaning towards the latter.

edit - nm, forgot that the 7xxx series only has one damn DVI. I don't want to deal with buying adapters

I'm looking to upgrade my case to something that would reduce temps to both the CPU and gpu. I currently have the cooler master storm enforcer, and I liked that case cause it had the USB 3.0. Anyone know of any cases that is good on cooling? Was looking at the 600t but I heard not so good things about it.

Salaadin

Anyone own an Antec 1100 case? Thoughts?
I have an old 900 with USB 2.0 but see the 1100 has USB 3.0 and a mobo tray. Might upgrade that but not sure if its worth it.

Also wondering about power supplies. Corsair still considered one of the best?

Mareg

My 212 EVO finally arrived today. Any advice before I start installing it?

If you are mounting it on the Intel architecture, you are going to love the revised mounting system. I was pleasently surprised.
Depending on your mobo, there is a chance the fan could block your first memory slot. You can play a bit with the height but if you have tall memory heat spreader, this may be an issue. Otherwise if you have 2 modules, you can put them in slot 1-3. It is a great entry HSF. I'm getting very good temps with it.

* don't put too much thermal paste and use the one supplied with the HSF, it is rather great quality. Put a small grain in the middle of the CPU just before mounting the HSF. The mounting system is great as it put strong pression on the CPU, warping the thermal paste like a champ :D

mkenyon

Banned
Currently have 570 sli. Worth the upgrade to 670(sli?), or do i wait for GK110?
Up to you. Any games not running as well as you would like?
I'm on a 2GB 6950, was going to cave and buy a 670 but considering the price drops of the 7850/7870, its about a $120-150 difference now.

Which one should I get? The DCII? The MSI Twin Frozr? I'm leaning towards the latter.

edit - nm, forgot that the 7xxx series only has one damn DVI. I don't want to deal with buying adapters
I'm selling a 6950 for cheap if you want to crossfire.
I'm looking to upgrade my case to something that would reduce temps to both the CPU and gpu. I currently have the cooler master storm enforcer, and I liked that case cause it had the USB 3.0. Anyone know of any cases that is good on cooling? Was looking at the 600t but I heard not so good things about it.
what do you want out of your case.
Anyone own an Antec 1100 case? Thoughts?
I have an old 900 with USB 2.0 but see the 1100 has USB 3.0 and a mobo tray. Might upgrade that but not sure if its worth it.

Also wondering about power supplies. Corsair still considered one of the best?
Lots of cases that are better for the money. Antec is far down on the chain of quality case makers these days.

ccbfan

How does the 7850 2GB compare to the 7850 1 GB. Is the 2GB worth the extra 20 bucks?

After the recent price drop the 7850 pretty much shits on everything performance for price wise. With the usual 30 dollar off rebate we're talking about a 170 for 1 Gig or 190 for 2 Gig. Thats is freaking insane.

Also how easy is it to OC the 7850? Never done it before. Is it as easy as OCing CPUs like the 3570K .

Grief.exe

How does the 7850 2GB compare to the 7850 1 GB. Is the 2GB worth the extra 20 bucks?

After the recent price drop the 7850 pretty much shits on everything performance for price wise. With the usual 30 dollar off rebate we're talking about a 170 for 1 Gig or 190 for 2 Gig. Thats is freaking insane.

Also how easy is it to OC the 7850? Never done it before. Is it as easy as OCing CPUs like the 3570K .

As for your first question, it is probably worth it. I currently have 1gb VRAM gpus and that is starting to get utilized by more and more games.

Do you like to game in resoultions >1080p? Do you like to downsample? Then most likely you are going to need 2gb VRAM versions, I would just get it for future proofing.
Keep in mind that crossfire doesn't stack the vram, it shares it with the lowest card. So if you get a 1gb model now, and a 2gb model later, you will be using 1gb total for your crossfire configuration.

GPU OC is much easier then CPU OC, you just download a program such as MSI afterburner, EVGA precision, NVIDIA Inspector, etc and you can OC away. I personally have been using Afterburner for a little while now.

mkenyon

Banned
Which one? If he doesn't want it I'm in the market.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41219282&postcount=17397
USB 3.0, a little more space to fit maybe an H100, ample cooling as well...not sure if that goes with space?
Fractal Arc Midi, Fractal Define R4 (H100 fits on the front), Coolermaster 690II.

If you want more space than that (full tower), then the BitFenix Shinobi XL, NZXT Switch 810, and CM Storm Stryker/Trooper are good choices at the high end.

VRAM does not mean a performance increase unless the game is using more VRAM than you have. There's a handful of games that go over 1GB at 1080p right now, and more to come. 2GB is a much better bet.

OCing is really easy, it's all done via GUI sliders in the OS. It can take a bit more time to dial in a nice OC, because you have to balance stability with noise from fans that are spinning faster.

Sapphire Trixx is the best out there for AMD OC'ing.

kharma45

Go for the 2GB, no question.

As for OCing, dead easy. You can use MSI Afterburner with this guide, Trixx or ASUS GPU Tweak as well. Using Trixx myself as I found the ASUS utility gave be black screens when trying to log-in.

On stock volts you can reach around 1050MHz, if you want to hit a clock like mine (1200MHz) you'll need to up the voltage on it.

I recommend making sure you get one with a good custom cooler too to aid the OC.

Huh there are 7850s with 2 DVIs

XFX, Sapphire, PowerCooler PCS and V2 of the DC2

So I'm looking to upgrade my Keyboard and Mouse. I'm currently using a Dell Keyboard and the big Steel Series WoW mouse.

I've seen a ton of posts on /r/gaming recently about the Logitech G500 mouse and wondered if it was as mighty as they said? I'm mainly going to be playing TF2, CSGO and GW2 over the next few months so a multibutton mouse that isn't huge is what I'm looking for.

As for a keyboard, I've not really read much. I'd looked at the Logitech G110 as it was in the recommended purchases section. Its an upgrade from my standard Dell one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Acidote

Just ordered my new rig, found a 7950 OC cheaper than every 660ti I've seen so far so I went with it!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz Box Socket 1155 + Arctic Silver 5 3.5gr
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 3GB GDDR5
Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Be Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 730W Modular (not too powerful, but hopefully less noisy)

Quite an improvement from what I have right now. I already have an M4 128 SSD and big enough HDD, that is why they're not in that list.

kharma45

Just ordered my new rig, found a 7950 OC cheaper than every 660ti I've seen so far so I went with it!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz Box Socket 1155 + Arctic Silver 5 3.5gr
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 3GB GDDR5
Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Be Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 730W Modular (not too powerful, but hopefully less noisy)

Quite an improvement from what I have right now. I already have an M4 128 SSD and big enough HDD, that is why they're not in that list.

If the price drops haven't come into effect yet in the USA hold off, that 7950 should get cheaper again.

Acidote

I don't think it's getting any cheaper here (Spain) than what I got it for. And even if it does get cheaper soon I'm ordering it now since taxes are rising the 1st of September from 18 to 21%. But thank you so much for your advice anyways :p

I'm kind of glad right now, this upgrade was long overdue.

Grief.exe

So I'm looking to upgrade my Keyboard and Mouse. I'm currently using a Dell Keyboard and the big Steel Series WoW mouse.

I've seen a ton of posts on /r/gaming recently about the Logitech G500 mouse and wondered if it was as mighty as they said? I'm mainly going to be playing TF2, CSGO and GW2 over the next few months so a multibutton mouse that isn't huge is what I'm looking for.

As for a keyboard, I've not really read much. I'd looked at the Logitech G110 as it was in the recommended purchases section. Its an upgrade from my standard Dell one.

The mouse market is fairly subjective since it is mainly based on how you like the feel of a mouse. After that you want one with a reliable sensor, and good build quality.

I would recommend looking into logitech, steelseries, zowie evo, corsair m60, or a razer death adder (one of the only Razer mice I can recommend with a straight face).

So check them out, find one that you like, then verify with some youtube videos, or a brick and mortar store, to make sure it will work for you.

As for your keyboard if you are willing to spend that kind of money, a quick google search shows that the G110 falls in the 60-70 dollar range, then you should step up to a mechanical model.

Check out Cooler Master, Steelseries, and Rosewill. All make quality, budget mechanicals in your price range. Trust me, once you go mechanical you will never want to go back to rubber dome.

abunai

What mouse grip do you use? Claw or palm?

I use palm grip and my Roccat Kone on a Taito mousemat has been the smoothest thing I've ever used in 10~ years of competitive gaming. For reference, I use a sensitivity of 400 dpi, ~1.3 in game (roughly 50cm per 360°) The G500 is good though, yes. I'm going to assume you're American; roccat don't sell anything over there I believe, unfortunately.

As for keyboards, there isn't going to be a huge difference between membrane keyboards outside of features/build quality. If you want something that lasts a /long/ time and feels better to type with, look at mechanical keyboards. I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 which is excellent, but not everyone is willing to spend 100£ on a keyboard.

Enlil

It seems my pc didn't work. Send it all back today. What a shit experience! cost: 73 euro's!! I am probably going to pay for repair cost.

thought I was gonna make some music this weekend. at least my music equipment is working.

As for keyboards, there isn't going to be a huge difference between membrane keyboards outside of features/build quality. If you want something that lasts a /long/ time and feels better to type with, look at mechanical keyboards. I have a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 which is excellent, but not everyone is willing to spend 100£ on a keyboard.

I have the same keyboard and love it to death. It's not the ninja version though because there was no stock of that in the UK when I ordered, so I got a regular tenkeyless. Tempted to pick up a ninja now actually and move this one to a different PC.

Ordered about half of the parts for my new PC:

Intel i5 3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
ASUS GTX-670
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Samsung SSD 830 64GB
Antec HCG-620
Cooler Master HAF XM
Scythe Ninja 3 Heatsink

Can't wait for this fucker.

Status