• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So it's looking more likely now that I'll be able to get my new PC for my birthday in 2 weeks. I guess I'll be in here more until then perfecting :p

I'm after the bitfenix shinobi windowed. With the PSU at the back-bottom, would a 120mm on the front, a 120mm back-top and a 140mm top-back be a good flow?
EDIT: I threw together a quick picture to make it more obvious:
TGhVF.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
So it's looking more likely now that I'll be able to get my new PC for my birthday in 2 weeks. I guess I'll be in here more until then perfecting :p

I'm after the bitfenix shinobi windowed. With the PSU at the back-bottom, would a 120mm on the front, a 120mm back-top and a 140mm top-back be a good flow?
More than enough. If possible, I might actually suggest two intake and one exhaust. Keep that positive pressure for better cooling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosspost for B/S/T thread:

For sale:

PowerColor 6950 2GB, previously owned by the famous Hazaro. $160

This is a miracle clocking card, and had the highest clock of any 6950 on air in 3DMark11's database. Selling for cheap because I generally give my parts to friends, but no one needs it. GAF sale only until Friday. This would probably go for $200-220 on Overclock.net. Runs super quiet, and comes with my troubleshooting services if anything were to happen. With a little bit of slider manipulation, runs basically as a factory overclocked 570/6970.

9mOHYl.jpg

EVGA GTX670. $365

Was going to put this under water for a friend's custom build, but plans changed. Used lightly for about a week, one night of stress/benching/testing.

G9uM8l.jpg

Cindres

More than enough. If possible, I might actually suggest two intake and one exhaust. Keep that positive pressure for better cooling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 at the front and one at the back I guess? Getting the recommended cooler from the OP aswell for the CPU.

mkenyon

Banned
Two front, one top, point the CM212+ towards the rear.

The positive pressure will be enough to propel the heatsink airflow out of the rear hole.

mkenyon

Banned
Mebbe?

I have a Sabertooth P67, Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2, ASRock Z77 ITX, F1A75-M PRO, Crosshair IV, and some H67 ASUS board.

*edit*

Oh right, the Gene!

I had a Z and did a number of builds in them, and bought a Gene V to use in a build, but it didn't quite work out.

Cindres

Two front, one top, point the CM212+ towards the rear.

The positive pressure will be enough to propel the heatsink airflow out of the rear hole.

EDIT: Ohhh, whenever I looked at pictures of it I assumed the fan just pointed to the opposite side of the case to the CPU. Didn't realise it went.. longways. Cool.
Do you mean top top, or back top?

Oh and thermal paste. Will the CPU or Cooler come with that?

hmmm, i really must get an avatar. Anyway...

Would someone have a look at these components and tell me if i'm missing something or have some form of idiot-combo going on? Much appreciated.

CSE - Fractal Design Define R3 Midi Tower Case - Arctic White
PSU - Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply (ST75F-P)

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM
MBD - Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 612S CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366/1156/1155/775/AM3/AM2+/AM2)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
SSD - Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s - (MZ-7PC128B/WW)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003)

GFX - Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
AMP - Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp

Any advice or swap-out welcomed.
I'm concerned with mobo/cooler & gfx clashes mainly and if i really need the 750w PSU but i am looking to OC the i5 3570 to 4.3ghz.

I have keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers etc. If it all looks ok i will get my order in tomorrow as i have this week off! Bliss.

Marcel

I've been pricing out the parts I want for a couple of days and I'm thinking I might just have to bite the bullet and get a totally new PC. Here's the rundown of my current setup:

Asus P7P55-M
Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 860 2.8GHz 8MB 95W
2 x Kingston DDR3-1333 2GB
MSI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Pioneer 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec Mini P180
Corsair TX 650W Power Supply

Everything runs fine but obviously I'm being left in the dust by anything released in early 2011 and onward. Should I salvage this PC with upgrades (which by calculating all my Newegg research comes out to about $1471) or just pay up a little bit more for a new custom built PC?

mkenyon

Banned
EDIT: Ohhh, whenever I looked at pictures of it I assumed the fan just pointed to the opposite side of the case to the CPU. Didn't realise it went.. longways. Cool.
Do you mean top top, or back top?

Oh and thermal paste. Will the CPU or Cooler come with that?
You can mount the 212+ either way.

I mean have two front intakes, and a single exhaust out of the top top. Still have the 212+ mounted towards the rear top, despite there not being an exhaust there. In my testing, that's always proved to have the best results in your standard system builds.

hmmm, i really must get an avatar. Anyway...

Would someone have a look at these components and tell me if i'm missing something or have some form of idiot-combo going on? Much appreciated.

CSE - Fractal Design Define R3 Midi Tower Case - Arctic White
PSU - Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply (ST75F-P)

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM
MBD - Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 612S CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366/1156/1155/775/AM3/AM2+/AM2)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
SSD - Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s - (MZ-7PC128B/WW)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003)

GFX - Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
AMP - Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp

Any advice or swap-out welcomed.
I'm concerned with mobo/cooler & gfx clashes mainly and if i really need the 750w PSU but i am looking to OC the i5 3570 to 4.3ghz.

I have keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers etc. If it all looks ok i will get my order in tomorrow as i have this week off! Bliss.
I'm not really seeing what the 612 offers that the 212 can't accomplish.

750W PSU is most certainly overkill, your total power draw will be in the realm of 350W at full load.

Otherwise, it looks great.
I've been pricing out the parts I want for a couple of days and I'm thinking I might just have to bite the bullet and get a totally new PC. Here's the rundown of my current setup:

Asus P7P55-M
MSI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Pioneer 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec Mini P180

Everything runs fine but obviously I'm being left in the dust by anything released in early 2011 and onward. Should I salvage this PC with upgrades (which by calculating all my Newegg research comes out to about $1471) or just pay up a little bit more for a new custom built PC?
That proc is still totally killer. Just get a decent cooler for it and overclock.

MisterNoisy

Asus P7P55-M
MSI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Pioneer 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec Mini P180

Everything runs fine but obviously I'm being left in the dust by anything released in early 2011 and onward. Should I salvage this PC with upgrades (which by calculating all my Newegg research comes out to about $1471) or just pay up a little bit more for a new custom built PC? (which is only a little bit more)

New build and turn the old box into a game or file server, or donate/sell it to someone that could use a decent but older machine.

mkenyon

Banned
Scrapping an i7 860 seems totally silly at this point. That should last another 1-2 years no problem. There is literally nothing out there outside of MAYBE Starcraft 2 where the processor will be a bottleneck after a decent OC.

I'm not really seeing what the 612 offers that the 212 can't accomplish.

Thanks, i was caught up in looking for quiet components. I've changed the 612S to the 212 EVO.

750W PSU is most certainly overkill, your total power draw will be in the realm of 350W at full load.

I've dropped down to a TX650W V2 for the PSU. It's equivalent to what i have currently and should cover an overclock to 4.3 or so with plenty to spare for drives & usb devices.

Otherwise, it looks great.

Thanks. I bought a Q6600 OC to 3.04ghz and it's been great for the last 4 years but my housemate has just upgraded and it's infectious.

drexplora

New build and turn the old box into a game or file server, or donate/sell it to someone that could use a decent but older machine.

get another 4gb of ram, an aftermarket cpu cooler, and an nvidia 670 or 680 gtx, and you will be able to max any games out today and most coming for at least the next year!

MisterNoisy

get another 4gb of ram, an aftermarket cpu cooler, and an nvidia 670 or 680 gtx, and you will be able to max any games out today and most coming for at least the next year!

Scrapping an i7 860 seems totally silly at this point. That should last another 1-2 years no problem. There is literally nothing out there outside of MAYBE Starcraft 2 where the processor will be a bottleneck after a decent OC.

You guys are no fun. ;) I do like drexplora's advice, though.

drexplora

ive got an i7 870, sabertooth p55 mobo, 8gb ram, an a corsair tx650 psu.

im currently waiting for an evga 680gtx coming in the mail today thats replacing my evga 570 gtx, that replaced my evga 460gtx lol :)

antitrop

ive got an i7 870, sabertooth p55 mobo, 8gb ram, an a corsair tx650 psu.

im currently waiting for an evga 680gtx coming in the mail today thats replacing my evga 570 gtx, that replaced my evga 460gtx lol :)
I went from a GTX 460 to a GTX 590, but I probably won't bother upgrading again until the late 700-series.

GTX 780 sounds nice. :)

I have a friend with a GTX 570 and he is still able to max out almost every game out there, why did you feel like the GTX 680 was a necessary upgrade? Nothing wrong with that, just curious if you were running into FPS issues with a 570 already.

sn00zer

Upgrading from an 8800GTS and would like a new graphics card in the $150 range

Current Rig:
Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
8800GTS

Suggestions?

EDIT: looking at 1080p gaming, dont give a damn about IQ higher than 2x

Dipswitch

So I've got a couple of questions about memory.....

A) What is the sweet spot these days speed-wise? I'm leaning towards some Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866, as I've used Crucial in my last 4 or so builds with zero issues and I'm partial to the brand. Just not sure if it's worth the extra money to go faster.

B) What's the deal with Qualified Vendor Lists from a motherboard memory perspective? I'm likely going to grab an Asus P77 based board and Crucial memory is absent from most of the mobo lists I've looked at, at the memory speeds I'm leaning towards. I'm assuming it doesn't mean the memory won't work, just that they haven't tested it. Conversely, GSkill memory tends to be on most of the lists, at almost all speeds. Not sure if that means it's a better bet or what.

Would appreciate any and all feedback.

kharma45

Upgrading from an 8800GTS and would like a new graphics card in the $150 range

Current Rig:
Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
8800GTS

Suggestions?

EDIT: looking at 1080p gaming, dont give a damn about IQ higher than 2x

What PSU?

6850 is probably your best option, 6870 is just over budget I think.

I'd recommend OCing your CPU too.

So the PC parts finally arrived today. I installed the CPU onto the motherboard and connected the fan that came with the processor. After putting the motherboard into the case, I opened the extra fan I had bought and realised that it was designed to be placed on top of a processor, rather than connected to the tower like I had thought. It comes on top of a massive base which apparently helps with vibration absorption or something, I don't know.

This is the fan:

35-186-134-Z01

After a little bit of Googling I discovered that the fan can be removed from the base like in the second image here.

Which leaves me wondering whether I should remove the fan from its base and attach it to the side of my tower like I had originally planned or remove the default fan from the processor, replace it with the fan I bought and then put the processor fan on the side of my tower instead.

Thoughts? I hope this question makes sense lol

Madtown_

Hey all, first time building a PC, just wanted to get a feeling if all of these components will work together / fit in the case. (Mostly from column 3 and 4 on the first page).

BTW, thanks for this great thread!

I plan on running Windows and Linux (Mint preferred), so if you think that warrants any other considerations, do tell. I'm a bit of a newbie at the building a PC thing.

drexplora

I went from a GTX 460 to a GTX 590, but I probably won't bother upgrading again until the late 700-series.

GTX 780 sounds nice. :)

I have a friend with a GTX 570 and he is still able to max out almost every game out there, why did you feel like the GTX 680 was a necessary upgrade? Nothing wrong with that, just curious if you were running into FPS issues with a 570 already.

i havent run into serious fps issues !=(skyrim+mods+enb), but i really want rock solid 60fps on BF3 on max, +4X aa. I usually game at 1600x1200 which aint 1080p, but its damn close. Im thinking with this ill be set into next gen?
And i havent even OC'ed my cpu! its got that stock oc thing which takes it up to 3.2 from 2.9, but i dont think ill need to push it further for a long time.

kharma45

Would like to use the Physx stuff....is that Nvidia only?

Yeah it's nVidia only. The only thing in your budget would be a 550 Ti and the 6850 beats it well for the most part

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=541

A GTX 460 might still be available in some places too and would beat a 550 Ti and give Physx but it ran quite hot from what I remember.

I'd imagine any card will probably be bottlenecked by your CPU though.

Firehead

Looking into upgrading my GTX 460. Considering SLI-ing first though, considering the price, would it at all be worth it?
Found one on eBay for $90, but the model number is two up from mine. Mine is a P3-1360-TR and the one listed is P3-1362. Would that prevent me from SLI-ing and how much performance increase would I get?

Trying again, hopefully...

Which leaves me wondering whether I should remove the fan from its base and attach it to the side of my tower like I had originally planned or remove the default fan from the processor, replace it with the fan I bought and then put the processor fan on the side of my tower instead.

Use the Arctic Cooling cooler for your CPU. Stock coolers are, without exception, rubbish.

Buy a 120/140mm fan (whichever the largest your case supports) and stick that on the side panel instead.

First time building a PC, would love some criticism on the below. Looking to get the most bang for my buck. Budget ~ $800. Im not quite sure if everything below is compatible with each other.

I have a Raidmax Smilodon Case and Ultra X3 800W psu that I am looking to hopefully use to save some money. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Quoting my other post for reference. I have 4 WD 500GB HDs. Do you guys think that these would be fine instead of the Samsung F3 1 TB? Before I pull the trigger, any last thoughts/suggestions? I've changed the processor to a 2500k.

RS4-

Quoting my other post for reference. I have 4 WD 500GB HDs. Do you guys think that these would be fine instead of the Samsung F3 1 TB? Before I pull the trigger, any last thoughts/suggestions? I've changed the processor to a 2500k.

If you had money set aside for the spinpoint, I'd suggest keeping your 2TB setup and just spend a little more for a Corsair, Crucial, Samsung SSD.

Thraktor

With 4 drives you've got 4 times the likelihood of failure, so make sure you've either got your data regularly backed-up, or use them in a redundant RAID5 array (although RAID5 arrays can have very slow write speeds if you don't have a dedicated RAID controller). Personally I'd advise putting them in a RAID0 array and getting some kind of external back-up, as the RAID0 array will give you good speeds, and it's always worth having external back-up in any case.

Blablurn

People say i should go for the Geforce 560 gtx instead of that sapphire radeon 6870. Apparently better for gaming. Agreed?

Im talking about graphics cards in the ~170€ price range.

People say i should go for the Geforce 560 gtx instead of that sapphire radeon 6870. Apparently better for gaming. Agreed?

Im talking about graphics cards in the ~170€ price range.

if its the 560 ti then that can pass, non ti version is a no no

Just saw an article apparently about AMD price cuts with the 7850 at about 209 (give or take) and the 7870 at about 249 (give or take)? OH HELL YESS :O

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6175/amd-radeon-hd-7800-series-price-cuts-new-game-bundle-inbound

Well I ordered a bunch of parts based off of the builds in the OP and am excited to get cracking putting my rig together! This will be my first PC build. I was taking a look at all the items and opened up the box for my GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW) The box was sealed but when I slid out the package I saw this.
Jcyfhl.jpg

Is this some thing I should be concerned about? I ordered it new off of Amazon.

Sarcasm

Well I ordered a bunch of parts based off of the builds in the OP and am excited to get cracking putting my rig together! This will be my first PC build. I was taking a look at all the items and opened up the box for my GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW) The box was sealed but when I slid out the package I saw this.
Jcyfhl.jpg

Is this some thing I should be concerned about? I ordered it new off of Amazon.

I wouldn't worry to much..is anything missing? Is it completely ripped? Its amazon..you can get it replaced.

CaLe

Beloved Gaffers, I am selling my crossfire XFX 6870 cards as I grew tired of all the incompatibility issues with games. Crossfire was not what I hoped for, and it seems (from what I saw) that nVidia has better driver support.

I also want to go back to a single card setup, much less headache.

I am thinking of getting an EVGA GTX 670 (see: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71245)

Is that a good decision ?

Thanks yet again.

Edit: Or this one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&promoid=1043

klee123

Ok, I just ordered a new rig to be picked up this weekend.

Intel S2011 Core i7 3820 3.60GHz 4x Core CPU
Gigabyte S2011 ATX GA-X79-UD3 Motherboard
DDR3 32GB (4x8G) G.Skill RipjawsZ 1600MHz Ram Kit
NVIDIA GTX670 2GB ASUS PCIe Video Card PN GTX670-DC2-2GD5
2TB Seagate 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD PN ST2000DM001

Just hope a 700W PSU will be enough. Anyone with a similar setup like this?

mkenyon

Banned
Ok, I just ordered a new rig to be picked up this weekend.

Intel S2011 Core i7 3820 3.60GHz 4x Core CPU
Gigabyte S2011 ATX GA-X79-UD3 Motherboard
DDR3 32GB (4x8G) G.Skill RipjawsZ 1600MHz Ram Kit
NVIDIA GTX670 2GB ASUS PCIe Video Card PN GTX670-DC2-2GD5
2TB Seagate 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD PN ST2000DM001

Just hope a 700W PSU will be enough. Anyone with a similar setup like this?
Running the same proc on a Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 with a 690.

If possible, I might suggest sending that memory back for some of this. Having nice memory (this stuff clocks to 2100 easy) is really helpful for OC'ing the 3820, as you'll need to overclock it via BCLK and multiplier in order to get past 4.3GHz.

Your system will probably have a total draw of around 350-400 depending on the OC.
Beloved Gaffers, I am selling my crossfire XFX 6870 cards as I grew tired of all the incompatibility issues with games. Crossfire was not what I hoped for, and it seems (from what I saw) that nVidia has better driver support.

I also want to go back to a single card setup, much less headache.

I am thinking of getting an EVGA GTX 670 (see: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71245)

Is that a good decision ?

Thanks yet again.

Edit: Or this one: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&promoid=1043
You can create custom profiles for whatever game you're trying to play.

Otherwise, the Gigabyte is the 670 of choice, no question.

big_z

What's recommended for. 1.5-2TB storage drive? Seagate has been garbage for a while, WD greens seem ideal but complaints of failure and head parking have me sceptical. WD red sounded ideal with them being built to last but I've read they're not recommended if you aren't running raid. WD black is an option but I hear they're noisy and I would like to avoid that since the drive will be accessed on a regular basis.

I hate that everything else is rebranded seagate or western digital.

Edit: bonus question. Where's a good place to buy a wireless 360 controller receiver for windows? Mainly looking for quick shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom