• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on Razer gaming keyboards? Im looking at the Black Widow mechanical specifically.
They're pretty good for the price.

In the same price range though, the CM Storm mechanical boards are significantly better.

If you can't touch type, the Blackwidow Ultimate has the distinction of being one of the very few mechanical KB's that are backlit.

If you really like the Razer aesthetic, I'd suggest holding off for the Blackwidow Tournament edition.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on Razer gaming keyboards? Im looking at the Black Widow mechanical specifically.
If you like the features nothing really compares on the market and the price is good.
I wanted a more minimalist keyboard and chose a DAS with a student discount when I picked mine out.

I've got a new BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 I'd like to unload for under retail if you are interested.

Xdrive05

Hardware-GAF, need opinions on when to upgrade, please. Thanks much in advance.

Still rocking a Phenom II. Trying to decide WHEN to go Intel. I expect to have the cash to upgrade by December. So do I go Ivy Bridge in December, or do I wait to see what Haswell is? Future-proofing is a concern. FWIW, I am still generally happy with my AMD rig. Seems to be keeping up despite being a three (or four?) year old "mainstream" processor even at the time.

What's kept me from Sandy/Ivy until now is the fear of building a 2012 rig that will not be able to keep up with 720/PS4 console ports, since Haswell uses a new socket over Ivy Bridge... meaning Ivy Bridge can not be upgraded further without swapping out a new board, etc., all over again. Of course we don't know how those new consoles will compare to i5/i7, but it seems safe to say that they could be more heavily multi-threaded than current i5/i7--which I'm hoping doesn't mean gimped ports as a result. Hence my hesitation to pull the trigger right now.

CURRENT BUILD:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: A780GM-A Ultra
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor Name: SyncMaster 2220WM/G22PW/220WM(Analog)

Thanks again for your opinions.

cametall

The Black Widow I tried out felt great, and the price is pretty good too, but I passed on purchasing it because I read a lot of complaints about keys sticking or blocking other keys from being pushed down.

---
I have a question for case cooling enthusiasts. My current case has a front intake, rear push/pull intake (H60 radiator) and top exhaust. I can put a fan on my side panel but haven't needed to.

Now my new video card comes along, which exhausts into the case, and I'm wondering if a single exhaust fan is enough. The top fan is pushing out a lot of hot air.

If I were to install a side panel fan, would the experts set as intake to blow onto the GPU, or as exhaust, to pull out the hot air the GPU is producing?

The hot air being exhausted from my case has gone from lukewarm (GTX 460) to sweat inducing (HD 7950). Thank God the room is freezing cold all the time.

EDIT: My CPU temps haven't changed despite the additional hot air so I'm thinking it best not to touch the push/pull intake.

Ashhong

If this PC is for gaming, rather than using 40% of the budget on a 3570K, go for a cheaper proc and get a more potent graphics card. Ofcourse, if she plans on upgrading the graphics card soon, then best to stick to the integrated graphics and save the money from the 7750 for a better card.

It is for gaming, but also for future proofing. Actually about to save a couple bucks on a mobo combo with this processor, so I think I can upgrade to a 1gb 6870, would that be better? I want to stick with that 3570K so that she doesn't have to upgrade later. Games she plays are like Starcraft, CSGO.

mkenyon

Banned
The Black Widow I tried out felt great, and the price is pretty good too, but I passed on purchasing it because I read a lot of complaints about keys sticking or blocking other keys from being pushed down.

---
I have a question for case cooling enthusiasts. My current case has a front intake, rear push/pull intake (H60 radiator) and top exhaust. I can put a fan on my side panel but haven't needed to.

Now my new video card comes along, which exhausts into the case, and I'm wondering if a single exhaust fan is enough. The top fan is pushing out a lot of hot air.

If I were to install a side panel fan, would the experts set as intake to blow onto the GPU, or as exhaust, to pull out the hot air the GPU is producing?

The hot air being exhausted from my case has gone from lukewarm (GTX 460) to sweat inducing (HD 7950). Thank God the room is freezing cold all the time.

EDIT: My CPU temps haven't changed despite the additional hot air so I'm thinking it best not to touch the push/pull intake.
Leave it as is. If you are dead set on another fan, then definitely intake. The reason why so much hot air is coming out of that single exhaust is because you have positive pressure in the case. Basically, the hot air is being expelled through any nook and cranny available leading to both a cleaner case and a cooler case.
Hardware-GAF, need opinions on when to upgrade, please. Thanks much in advance.

Still rocking a Phenom II. Trying to decide WHEN to go Intel. I expect to have the cash to upgrade by December. So do I go Ivy Bridge in December, or do I wait to see what Haswell is? Future-proofing is a concern. FWIW, I am still generally happy with my AMD rig. Seems to be keeping up despite being a three (or four?) year old "mainstream" processor even at the time.

What's kept me from Sandy/Ivy until now is the fear of building a 2012 rig that will not be able to keep up with 720/PS4 console ports, since Haswell uses a new socket over Ivy Bridge... meaning Ivy Bridge can not be upgraded further without swapping out a new board, etc., all over again. Of course we don't know how those new consoles will compare to i5/i7, but it seems safe to say that they could be more heavily multi-threaded than current i5/i7--which I'm hoping doesn't mean gimped ports as a result. Hence my hesitation to pull the trigger right now.
Basically, processor tech has reached a point that is well beyond anything PS4/720s will even be able to match. There is so much overhead in processors right now, that the only reason most games are limited in frames is because they are only designed to use one or two threads of four or eight threaded CPUs.

If you want to futureproof, go SB-E now with a 3930K. Or, save up and go with IB-E when it's released in December/Jan with whatever 6 core/12 thread is released with it.

Otherwise, a 3770K, 3820, or 2600K is a great way to go to ensure a bit of headroom over the 2500K/3570K when you look ahead 2-3 years. 3820s are in a good spot as IB-E is still unreleased. Interested to see what happens there myself as I'm running a 3820 on my main gaming rig.

If that's still too much money, get a 2500K/3570K now, and upgrade the proc/motherboard in another 2 years.

Salaadin

They're pretty good for the price.

In the same price range though, the CM Storm mechanical boards are significantly better.

If you can't touch type, the Blackwidow Ultimate has the distinction of being one of the very few mechanical KB's that are backlit.

If you really like the Razer aesthetic, I'd suggest holding off for the Blackwidow Tournament edition.

Backlighting is a must for me but I just came across this thanks to your post:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ter-storm-trigger-gaming-keyboard-review.html

Review is iffy but I kinda like the design. It looks bulky but so is my current keyboard.

If you like the features nothing really compares on the market and the price is good.
I wanted a more minimalist keyboard and chose a DAS with a student discount when I picked mine out.

I've got a new BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 I'd like to unload for under retail if you are interested.

DAS is nice too. Another one Ill watch for.

And thanks for the offer but Ill pass. If I change my mind, Ill shoot you a PM but Im good for now.

My Logitech G11 is nearing 3 years old and still works but Im shopping around for something a little more comfy without losing all the features of the G11. I hear a lot about mechanical these days and feel like thatd be a good step to take.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks, was looking at a 7750 for much less, but will compare the 2 cards now

General rule of thumb for videocards:

Don't buy anything below an GTX (X)60Ti, or an (X)850 AMD card. They're generally piles of trash that are a cash in on folks who don't know better.

ithorien

Different accessories to mount in different types of systems, as well as additional software. If you don't need the mounting accessories, then get the least expensive.

Thanks! Guess I should have just looked and thought about the letters at the end of product names.

Ashhong

General rule of thumb for videocards:

Don't buy anything below an GTX (X)60Ti, or an (X)850 AMD card. They're generally piles of trash that are a cash in on folks who don't know better.

Interesting, thanks. I can't seem to find the GTX460 in my price range, did you happen to see it somewhere for that price?

Although I do see a GTX560 for 130$, I assume that is better than the 460?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I'm not finding it either... I wonder if they finally got rid of most of the backstock.

If that's not available, I'd suggest looking for a used card through GAF, HardOCP, or Overclock.net. If you're uncomfortable with that, I'd save up a bit more and go for the 6850 or 6870.

1-D_FTW

Fuck me. Someone posted an Amazon deal on Slickdeals where the Asus VG278H (27 inch 120hz, NVision 2 built in) was selling directly from amazon for 249.99. Sold out it under 30 minutes. Missed it by 15 minutes.

Ashhong

Yeah, I'm not finding it either... I wonder if they finally got rid of most of the backstock.

If that's not available, I'd suggest looking for a used card through GAF, HardOCP, or Overclock.net. If you're uncomfortable with that, I'd save up a bit more and go for the 6850 or 6870.

Is the GTX560 SE good for $130? Budget isn't really up to me..it's for a friend and she seems pretty strict on the $500. I could look into the used route

Ordered a 3570k and an Asrock Z77 Pro4 motherboard. The microcenter deal was too good to pass up. Now to find some decent priced ram.

I have a BFG Tech LS 550 watt power supply from my old system. I think it should be enough even if I get a 660/670 eventually, or am I wrong on that?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817702008

550W should be fine. I also got that deal from micro and am about to get this ram for $35

http://www.frys.com/product/6504593

scogoth

Out with the old in with the new.

Running them stock now but will try ocing later tonight.
Never thought I would see the day this case looked full.
J9iCl.jpg

t3OBk.jpg

Oxn

Ordered a 3570k and an Asrock Z77 Pro4 motherboard. The microcenter deal was too good to pass up. Now to find some decent priced ram.

I have a BFG Tech LS 550 watt power supply from my old system. I think it should be enough even if I get a 660/670 eventually, or am I wrong on that?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702008

i got that same deal when it first came out, I also have a XFX 6870 and run on Antec 550. I even OCed to 4.0

So yes 550 should definitely do.

mkenyon

Banned
Out with the old in with the new.

Running them stock now but will try ocing later tonight.
Never thought I would see the day this case looked full.
Awesome. Welcome to dual kepler land! Hope you enjoy your crazy powerful but low-draw setup. :p
What a dirty eVGA fanboy. Shameful.
Also this! You have more of an excuse due to three cards in there though.
HEY I'm going with EVGA lol
EVGA coolers are garbage compared to the other brands. There's really no reason to buy one unless you have a setup like Scogoth where it's important to keep all of that heat out of the system.

AndyD

aka andydumi
550W should be fine. I also got that deal from micro and am about to get this ram for $35

http://www.frys.com/product/6504593

i got that same deal when it first came out, I also have a XFX 6870 and run on Antec 550. I even OCed to 4.0

So yes 550 should definitely do.

Thanks for the advice. Did you guys get other coolers, or use stock? If stock isn't loud, I think Ill stick with it, otherwise, the 212 is what everyone recommends right?

I don't imagine I will overclock, but I also don't want a vacuum cleaner in there. My past intel stock heatsinks have worked pretty well.

mkenyon

Banned
Any of you have a wireless hdmi? im very curious about that tech,i know cheapyd from cheapass gamers have one and it seems to work ok
A friend and myself did testing for one of the pioneering companies behind it. Basically, if you are a demanding gamer and need crisp response and inputs, it's total garbage. Otherwise, it *can* work okay as long as you don't have much interference in between. You can run into a few problems like not being able to run at 1080p at times due to signal quality.

Ocho

Quick question: Should I keep my two front fan intakes, two top exahust and back exhaust configuration? Or only use back and one top and move that extra fan as a side/lower intake?

Stubo

Quick question: Should I keep my two front fan intakes, two top exahust and back exhaust configuration? Or only use back and one top and move that extra fan as a side/lower intake?
After consulting this guide I've got 2 front intakes and a bottom intake with back and rear top exhausts. Hope this helps :)

mkenyon

Banned
Aim for positive pressure, and make sure intakes are away from any hot air being expelled out of the case. If you stick to that general rule of thumb, you'll always have good temps and a more clean case.

So I'm getting a new PC as a graduation present, and I was looking to build the "Excellent" model in the OP. However, I'm really unfamiliar with PCs and don't feel very comfortable with actually building my own. Does anyone know of any trustworthy sites where you can pick out the parts you want and have them build the PC for you?

Edit-
Sorry, I should point out that I'm looking for a US site =P

scogoth

What a dirty eVGA fanboy. Shameful.

Yeah they have been good to me and they were on sale at NCIX.

Also this! You have more of an excuse due to three cards in there though.

Plus next step is water cooling, which I will need your help with in the coming months >_>

I realized after I had made the purchase they are non reference boards so it'll have to be universal blocks.

Ashhong

I've got a 6850 I'd sell for $100 shipped.

Tempting, I'll have to look into the card and will PM you if interested, thanks. How old is it?

My budget increased by $100, but preferably want to keep it around 50-60. So now I have $185 to play with for my GPU. Should I splurge for a good $185 card or get the 6850 above and maybe an SSD for the OS?

So I'm getting a new PC as a graduation present, and I was looking to build the "Excellent" model in the OP. However, I'm really unfamiliar with PCs and don't feel very comfortable with actually building my own. Does anyone know of any trustworthy sites where you can pick out the parts you want and have them build the PC for you?

Edit-
Sorry, I should point out that I'm looking for a US site =P

You should look into building it yourself. It's fun and easy :)

On topic, I believe there is a site in the OP that does build it for you.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah they have been good to me and they were on sale at NCIX.

Plus next step is water cooling, which I will need your help with in the coming months >_>

I realized after I had made the purchase they are non reference boards so it'll have to be universal blocks.
FTW and Classified are the only two non-reference EVGA cards. I think EVGA has waterblocks for the latter too.

Xdrive05

Basically, processor tech has reached a point that is well beyond anything PS4/720s will even be able to match. There is so much overhead in processors right now, that the only reason most games are limited in frames is because they are only designed to use one or two threads of four or eight threaded CPUs.

If you want to futureproof, go SB-E now with a 3930K. Or, save up and go with IB-E when it's released in December/Jan with whatever 6 core/12 thread is released with it.

Otherwise, a 3770K, 3820, or 2600K is a great way to go to ensure a bit of headroom over the 2500K/3570K when you look ahead 2-3 years. 3820s are in a good spot as IB-E is still unreleased. Interested to see what happens there myself as I'm running a 3820 on my main gaming rig.

If that's still too much money, get a 2500K/3570K now, and upgrade the proc/motherboard in another 2 years.

Thanks for your input. Given what you said in the first paragraph, I can't find a compelling reason to invest in an upgrade right at this moment. It doesn't seem necessary until we start seeing more games really take advantage of that CPU overhead.

UE4 will be the tipping point for me, if it's "n-threaded" like they're saying. Or I will strike when the iron's hot and get a 2600k if/when it ever goes on sale or bundle.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah and a $100 premium...... couldn't spring for the classified's just too much
So you have FTW's?
Thanks for your input. Given what you said in the first paragraph, I can't find a compelling reason to invest in an upgrade right at this moment. It doesn't seem necessary until we start seeing more games really take advantage of that CPU overhead.

UE4 will be the tipping point for me, if it's "n-threaded" like they're saying. Or I will strike when the iron's hot and get a 2600k it/when it ever goes on sale or bundle.
Read through this, it's a VERY compelling reason to go SB/IB now over AMD processors. tl;dr of it is that AMD processors suffer from what is being coined as 'Frame Latency'. Average frame rates, or even highs and lows can't tell the whole picture when it comes to smooth performance.

I made the jump from AMD PIIx4 975 that I had clocked at 4.2GHz to a 2500K. The difference in feel and performance was staggering. Same GPU even at first.

CRS

Aim for positive pressure, and make sure intakes are away from any hot air being expelled out of the case. If you stick to that general rule of thumb, you'll always have good temps and a more clean case.

So I guess having a couple of intake side fans right in front of my GPU is a bad thing?

My intake fans: 1-200mm in the front, 1-120mm in the bottom, and 2-120mm in the side

My exhaust fans: 1-100(120?)mm in the back, and 1-200mm on top

I was going for positive pressure which I seem to have but kind of makes it useless if I'm blowing all the hot air from my GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom