• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

Reference 7950 3GB @ stock = 95%
Reference 7950 3GB boost (AKA OC'd) = 100%
Reference 670 2GB @ stock = 110%

perfrel.gif

Okay, back to the 670 it is. Thanks, guys.

Merovin

Just had a blue screen, this is the error that followed? Anyone here know what the cause is, what to do etc?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000041790
BCP2: FFFFFA8000D82C10
BCP3: 000000000000FFFF
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090212-20482-01.dmp
C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-26457-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

kafiend

Just had a blue screen, this is the error that followed? Anyone here know what the cause is, what to do etc?

Google the numbers like 0000000000041790 to get pointed in the right direction (probably)

A cursory look seems like its a memory issue. Maybe run memtestx86.

1-D_FTW

Do I remember reading right that Sandy Bridge CPU's weren't overclocking as well as they once did?

The local Compusa has the i7 2600k on sale for 229.99. And although it's kind of vague, it sounds like it might be eligible for their "Axe the Tax" promotion where they instant discount you back the cost of sales tax. If I can get it for 229.99 final cost, I'm almost kind of tempted. That thing would seem pretty future proof for even next-gen ports. Anything I should know about this chip?

Stubo

Changed out the ASRock Mobo for an Asus one.

Going with the Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155. Does that one come recommended for the 3570K and the 670 GPU I'm going with?
I have this exact build. (Edit: I have the LX, not the LK?)

The only reason I'd suggest to look at another is if you want more than 2 on board case fan headers or any of the other extra features offered on other boards.

Also worth noting that you get 2 SATA cables in the box (or at least I did), so if you have extra drives remember to pick up some more cables where needed :)

Do I remember reading right that Sandy Bridge CPU's weren't overclocking as well as they once did?

The local Compusa has the i7 2600k on sale for 229.99. And although it's kind of vague, it sounds like it might be eligible for their "Axe the Tax" promotion where they instant discount you back the cost of sales tax. If I can get it for 229.99 final cost, I'm almost kind of tempted. That thing would seem pretty future proof for even next-gen ports. Anything I should know about this chip?

I remember reading something similar, but for the life of me can't remember where.

Fjordson

The only reason I'd suggest to look at another is if you want more than 2 on board case fan headers or any of the other extra features offered on other boards.
So with that mobo you can only have two case fans?

On ASUS site it lists

"1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)"

Is that the same as case fan headers? Reason I ask is I've been planning on getting that mobo, but I have three case fans.

legacyzero

Banned

Also worth noting that you get 2 SATA cables in the box (or at least I did), so if you have extra drives remember to pick up some more cables where needed :)

On ASUS site it lists

Is that the same as case fan headers? Reason I ask is I've been planning on getting that mobo, but I have three case fans.
Hmmm. That's kindof a concern. HOWEVER, I do have the Switch 810 Case that has a central fan connection. So I guess that one unit can run up to 7 fans. At least that's how I understand it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I got enough money on me 21st to build my new PC. Oh man so fucking excited, hopefully by the weekend It'll all be here and I can take some shots o' dem gutz when it's done.

Stubo

On ASUS site it lists

Well you can connect some to the power supply and run them at full speed all of the time. I have a Fractal Arc Midi which comes with a fan controller for 3 fans, so I have 5 in mine.

Mine has a header for the CPU fan, 2 chassis fans and a PSU fan header which I'm not really sure how you're meant to use. (PWR_Fan if I remember correctly)

Worth considering if you want to run lots of fans, at least. It's always possible to add a fan controller later.

Evlar

Banned
I just bought an Asus P8 Z77-V LK board, arrived on Friday. Both the manual and the board itself show four fan headers: one CPU and three Chassis fans. As far as I can tell a case with three fans should be no problem.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ordered my CPU, PSU and HDD Just now (those are coming from amazon and ebuyer where the postage is free but up to 5 days). When I put the rest of my b'day money in the bank I can get the rest ordered as it's on next-day anyway.

Excite levels through the roof.

pelican

Picked up a MSi 7970 Lightning last week and it is a beast of a card. My first AMD card since before the NV 6800 series of cards.

With a slight tweak of voltage it is runing stable at 1200 (gpu), 1500(memory) with no stability or heat issues. Compared to the original 7970 reference of 925 (gpu) and 1375 (memory) the performance is fantastic.

Picked it up for £400 which really puts Nvidia's 680 pricing to shame.

mkenyon

Banned
Just got back from PAX. Some things.

1) Hazaro and myself (with three others) took first place in the Firefall tourney. Free Blackwidow Ultimates and Death Adders.
2) Haz took second, I took third, in the ASUS Speedbuilding competition. So close to dat Maximus Formula.
3) CM Storm Scout II (if priced appropriately) is going to completely dominate the competition. AMAZING CASE.
4) Razer is going to start selling tenkeyless keyboards.
5) Gigabyte ITX board is famazing. I wish I was doing my ITX build next month instead of tomorrow/this week, would definitely held off for it.

This one is most important. Went to the NVIDIA panel, they showed off the UE4 engine. Engineer from EPIC was there showing it off. I was able to ask him a very very important question that should help clear up a *ton* of questions about 'future proofing'.

6) UE4 is n-threaded and optimized for current and future PC procs. This means you don't need super high frequencies in order to have a slamming system. There is now a reason to buy 3820/3930K/3770Ks if you can spare it. Those extra threads/cores will actually be used by what will almost certainly be the most popular engine over the next 5+ years.

Also, the CM Storm Recon was a really really impressive mouse. Definitely going to replace my Spawn with it. Still, not as good as the Sensei if you don't have small hands.

*EDIT*

Also, through the end of 09.03, get 30% off all Steelseries Products. So, go buy the Sensei or Sensei Raw RIGHT NOW. Seriously. PAXW2012 is the code.

This one is most important. Went to the NVIDIA panel, they showed off the UE4 engine. Engineer from EPIC was there showing it off. I was able to ask him a very very important question that should help clear up a *ton* of questions about 'future proofing'.

6) UE4 is n-threaded and optimized for current and future PC procs. This means you don't need super high frequencies in order to have a slamming system. There is now a reason to buy 3820/3930K/3770Ks if you can spare it. Those extra threads/cores will actually be used by what will almost certainly be the most popular engine over the next 5+ years.

Nice.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my AMD Phenom II X4 955 later this year or early next year.

Vossler

Also, through the end of 09.03, get 30% off all Steelseries Products. So, go buy the Sensei or Sensei Raw RIGHT NOW. Seriously. PAXW2012 is the code.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir!!!

Just got back from PAX. Some things.

1) Hazaro and myself (with three others) took first place in the Firefall tourney. Free Blackwidow Ultimates and Death Adders.
2) Haz took second, I took third, in the ASUS Speedbuilding competition. So close to dat Maximus Formula.
3) CM Storm Scout II (if priced appropriately) is going to completely dominate the competition. AMAZING CASE.
4) Razer is going to start selling tenkeyless keyboards.
5) Gigabyte ITX board is famazing. I wish I was doing my ITX build next month instead of tomorrow/this week, would definitely held off for it.

Also, the CM Storm Recon was a really really impressive mouse. Definitely going to replace my Spawn with it. Still, not as good as the Sensei if you don't have small hands.

*EDIT*

Also, through the end of 09.03, get 30% off all Steelseries Products. So, go buy the Sensei or Sensei Raw RIGHT NOW. Seriously. PAXW2012 is the code.

2) What kind of times did you guys get?
3) Is it unchanged from this?
6) Finally someone putting those threads to use.

Protome

OKAY GUYS, this is hopefully the last time I'll be posting my list before I build it next week I just have one final final finaaaalll question.
My Build

So, you may remember a few pages back I found out I couldn't get Windows for free anymore from university, well they got in contact with me and renewed my Dreamspark premium account, so I can in fact get it for free.
Now here's the question.
I can get either Windows 7 or Windows 8, which should I get? I'm okay with the Metro stuff, so ignoring that is there any major reason to or not to get windows 8?

The 7950 still tends to overclock better than the 670 and it's cheaper.
Source.

Is there any reason not to go for Asrock's ITX Z77 board? It's a little cheaper.

That looks like a rather flawed test. They're 7950 is an excellent overclocker, with a 295Mhz overclock (32.7%) while the they're 670 was an OK overclocker, overclocked by 49Mhz (3.8%).

Most 7950s will overclock to mid 1000s, not 1200.

n0n44m

sounds like you guys had a fun time :)

code only works on the North American store though :(

That looks like a rather flawed test. They're 7950 is an excellent overclocker, with a 295Mhz overclock (32.7%) while the they're 670 was an OK overclocker, overclocked by 49Mhz (3.8%).

actually 1315 MHz core is pretty good for a 670, the 1267 base clock is higher than most other cards out there (DCII Top is kinda known for that) ... but their memory overclock of +80 (or +160 in most software) is pretty low and probably bottlenecking performance quite a bit

Ty4on

That's because it's usually a better overclocker than the 670. And I don't think 1200 is that rare.

And even not thinking about the overclocking the 7950 is still around 319 (not living in the US, so I just checked Newegg) while the 670 is around 399. That's a huge difference for 10% more performance.

Is there any reason not to go for Asrock's ITX Z77 board? It's a little cheaper.

Custom PC said that the Asrock board is great, its just a little cramped, has a worse UEFI and doesn't have the VRM daugtherboard of the Asus. For the price difference I'd say the Asrock is better.

That's because it's usually a better overclocker than the 670. And I don't think 1200 is that rare.

And even not thinking about the overclocking the 7950 is still around 319 (not living in the US, so I just checked Newegg) while the 670 is around 399. That's a huge difference for 10% more performance.

No doubt its better value, especially in the UK with a good £50+ difference, but I'd take the 670 over it.

Ty4on

Custom PC said that the Asrock board is great, its just a little cramped, has a worse UEFI and doesn't have the VRM daugtherboard of the Asus. For the price difference I'd say the Asrock is better.

The VRM probably won't matter that much in a non liquid cooled SG07/SG08. Kinda playing with the idea of building a SG07/SG08. How stupid would it be to put a 7850 IceQ in there?

RS4-

The CMSSII looks so bad to me :(

The ITX does interest me though! And congrats to you guys on the Firefall/OC stuff

1-D_FTW

This is exactly what I've been wondering and relates to my earlier question. This is simply about the hyperthreading, correct? Or is it something more? Would a Sandy Bridge be almost as good as an Ivy Bridge? Because I can get the i7 2600k for 229.99 at my local Compusa this week.

Celcius

°Temp. member
On my Seasonic X-750, in the bios the 12v rail reads 12.2v. Is this ok?

edit: Based on my research this seems to be normal and well within spec, but could someone confirm just for my peace of mind?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
5'10 but I only went once and I fucked up real bad on the screws. Also the table was like a foot too high. Apparently some tall guy had the best time. Probably could easily do 4'50.

edit: Based on my research this seems to be normal and well within spec, but could someone confirm just for my peace of mind?
Yes. It will probably go closer to 12 with more load. Seems a tad high though for that quality psu.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This is exactly what I've been wondering and relates to my earlier question. This is simply about the hyperthreading, correct? Or is it something more? Would a Sandy Bridge be almost as good as an Ivy Bridge? Because I can get the i7 2600k for 229.99 at my local Compusa this week.
I bought a proven oc'd 2600K for 230. Humming at 4.3 first oc. Haven't tuned it at all. Best value imo.

Enlil

Finally my pc arrived. this thing is a beast. had some difficulties recording music. my audio interface (komplete audio 6) crasht WIN7. Seems that Native instruments is plagued by this problem. So have send it back and waiting for my focusrite scarlet 2i2. I hope it works. Then I can start making music.

I must say the i7 3770k ivy bridge CPU is amazing. it handles so many VSTi's and no latency at all and all this coming from the onboard soundcard.

when making music my temps are at 35-38 CPU and GPU (corsair h70 and Twin frozr gtx680 by MSI)

I used HWmonitor. I don't know if these temps are the real temps. but they are very good. I am sitting here half naked, window open. extremely hot. So I am really suprised by these temps.

1-D_FTW

I bought a proven oc'd 2600K for 230. Humming at 4.3 first oc. Haven't tuned it at all. Best value imo.

Yeah. I think I'm gonna pick one up. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird instruction set that Ivy added and this is what was being referred to with UE4.

Smokey

cpu_pics.png

Posted a week or so ago about my CPU not down clocking when idle and running at it's OC speed of 4.6ghz. Using manual voltage of 1.27v. Intel Speedstep is on, and I just changed C1E from 'Auto' to 'Enabled' at the suggestion of some on OCN.net As you can see above though, one program is telling me it's down clocking, and the other is not.

Who is correct?!

5'10 but I only went once and I fucked up real bad on the screws. Also the table was like a foot too high. Apparently some tall guy had the best time. Probably could easily do 4'50.
Yes. It will probably go closer to 12 with more load. Seems a tad high though for that quality psu.

I have a Seasonic Platinum-1000 and just took a look at my reading. Mine shows 12.096 on the 12v. Is there any reason why it's over 12v when I'm doing nothing but looking in the BIOS?

bardia

will a GTX 670 be good enough to play battlefield 3 @ 1440p with 60FPS (with no AA of course, every benchmark I see has 4x AA and it runs @ about 40FPS average). I'm building my PC and I've gone with the GTX 670, but I can't decide whether I want to get a 1440p monitor or a 120hz monitor. From all the benchmarks I've seen, it doesn't seem like 1 GTX 670 will be powerful enough to take advantage of 120hz when playing battlefield 3 @ 1080p. Does anyone have any experience with 120hz or 1440 using a single GTX 670?

CatPee

will a GTX 670 be good enough to play battlefield 3 @ 1440p with 60FPS (with no AA of course, every benchmark I see has 4x AA and it runs @ about 40FPS average). I'm building my PC and I've gone with the GTX 670, but I can't decide whether I want to get a 1440p monitor or a 120hz monitor. From all the benchmarks I've seen, it doesn't seem like 1 GTX 670 will be powerful enough to take advantage of 120hz when playing battlefield 3 @ 1080p. Does anyone have any experience with 120hz or 1440 using a single GTX 670?

No single card is powerful enough to run BF3 at a solid 120fps or at 1440p on ultra. You might wanna go the High (FXAA, no MSAA)/Custom settings route.

Smokey

No single card is powerful enough to run BF3 at a solid 120fps or at 1440p on ultra. You might wanna go the High (FXAA, no MSAA)/Custom settings route.

Yep. You'll have to go the SLI route if you want to achieve 120fps/60fps at their respective resolutions on Ultra.

CatPee

I'm probably going with 1080p myself. one 670 should do ultra just fine, right?

Yep. It'll do 60 most of the time. I got an FXAA injector, turned off in-game FXAA, and cut down MSAA to 2x for optimal performance. Back to Karkand maps are a lot more busy though and will cause dips to mid-40s more often.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's a good way to use a keyboard and mouse while on a couch? I've got the mouse and keyboard, but I need something to rest them on. The laptop desk works for just the keyboard but not the mice. I'm thinking that I might have to buy a keypad.

Hello Gentlemen, I am piecing together a computer and for the video card I am looking at the EVGA GeForce 660 Ti SuperClocked and SuperClocked Plus. The only difference I can see is that the Plus has 3GB instead of 2GB. Is the extra GB worth the extra $30?

2GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810

3GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812

For reference, here part of my current build:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Corsair 750W
RAM: 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom