• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Just got back from PAX. Some things.

1) Hazaro and myself (with three others) took first place in the Firefall tourney. Free Blackwidow Ultimates and Death Adders.
2) Haz took second, I took third, in the ASUS Speedbuilding competition. So close to dat Maximus Formula.
3) CM Storm Scout II (if priced appropriately) is going to completely dominate the competition. AMAZING CASE.
4) Razer is going to start selling tenkeyless keyboards.
5) Gigabyte ITX board is famazing. I wish I was doing my ITX build next month instead of tomorrow/this week, would definitely held off for it.

This one is most important. Went to the NVIDIA panel, they showed off the UE4 engine. Engineer from EPIC was there showing it off. I was able to ask him a very very important question that should help clear up a *ton* of questions about 'future proofing'.

6) UE4 is n-threaded and optimized for current and future PC procs. This means you don't need super high frequencies in order to have a slamming system. There is now a reason to buy 3820/3930K/3770Ks if you can spare it. Those extra threads/cores will actually be used by what will almost certainly be the most popular engine over the next 5+ years.

Also, the CM Storm Recon was a really really impressive mouse. Definitely going to replace my Spawn with it. Still, not as good as the Sensei if you don't have small hands.

*EDIT*

Also, through the end of 09.03, get 30% off all Steelseries Products. So, go buy the Sensei or Sensei Raw RIGHT NOW. Seriously. PAXW2012 is the code.
Damn, you and Hazaro are beasts, that's awesome.

And that Sensei Raw mouse looks pretty nice. Been thinking about G500, but now I don't know.

Just got back from PAX. Some things.

1) Hazaro and myself (with three others) took first place in the Firefall tourney. Free Blackwidow Ultimates and Death Adders.
2) Haz took second, I took third, in the ASUS Speedbuilding competition. So close to dat Maximus Formula.
3) CM Storm Scout II (if priced appropriately) is going to completely dominate the competition. AMAZING CASE.
4) Razer is going to start selling tenkeyless keyboards.
5) Gigabyte ITX board is famazing. I wish I was doing my ITX build next month instead of tomorrow/this week, would definitely held off for it.

This one is most important. Went to the NVIDIA panel, they showed off the UE4 engine. Engineer from EPIC was there showing it off. I was able to ask him a very very important question that should help clear up a *ton* of questions about 'future proofing'.

6) UE4 is n-threaded and optimized for current and future PC procs. This means you don't need super high frequencies in order to have a slamming system. There is now a reason to buy 3820/3930K/3770Ks if you can spare it. Those extra threads/cores will actually be used by what will almost certainly be the most popular engine over the next 5+ years.

Also, the CM Storm Recon was a really really impressive mouse. Definitely going to replace my Spawn with it. Still, not as good as the Sensei if you don't have small hands.

*EDIT*

Also, through the end of 09.03, get 30% off all Steelseries Products. So, go buy the Sensei or Sensei Raw RIGHT NOW. Seriously. PAXW2012 is the code.

Was already considering the 3770K because I plan to do a lot of video encoding, I think this seals the deal.

what's a good wireless headset for PC?? I'm looking for something that's less than $100.

For $10 over your budget - Logitech G930:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104399

I personally use the Sony Stereo Wireless Headet for PS3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261316

I got it recently and works on PC, it's plug and play. Sounds great too, and they're very comfortable (if you wear glasses, they aren't bothersome too).

equap

Banned
F it.

I think I'm going to replace my Phenom II X4 955 and go Intel. I ordered the EVGA GTX 660 ti, so which i5 CPU should I pair with it? I'll be needing a new MOBO too. I don't plan on overclocking.

Oh well. Didn't really need a DVD but had an old one lying around.

Its a bit more annoying for me since it didn't hit me until when i was getting my parts. Can deal without it but my biggest peeve is that a HDD will be out also :(

F it.

I think I'm going to replace my Phenom II X4 955 and go Intel. I ordered the EVGA GTX 660 ti, so which i5 CPU should I pair with it? I'll be needing a new MOBO too. I don't plan on overclocking.

The 2500k and 3570k are the recommended i5s mainly since they can be overclocked for even greater performance.

As for motherboards the ASUS ones seems to get a lot of love in here then Asrock and the others.

Check the OP since it has a list of parts for a type of PC you might what plus the parts for each are trusted picks

cametall

Anyone know what are acceptable GPU and VRM temperatures when overclocking a video card?

I'm OCing an HD 7950 and in GPU Z my GPU temp hovers around 70c at load, but I've noticed the VRM temps can hit 93c.

Xdrive05

F it.

I'm considering the same... in the same boat; Phenom II 940 @ 3.6Ghz. I'd like to go Ivy Bridge, but it will require all new stuff.

I'd like to hold out for the Haswell line, 6 cores.

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
I love this thing.

41E5HRbocOL.jpg

Anyone who uses their PC as a HTPC should look into it especially for the price. You cant type very fast on it but the convenience factor is amazing to me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005L2NTTQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

causan

My current system:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6660 @ 2.40 GHz
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 1GB
8 GB Memory
Asus VH242H 23.6-Inch Full-HD LCD Monitor 1920 x1080

With my current setup would it be worth it to upgrade my video card or would my cpu be too much of a bottle neck? If it is what do you guys recommend in the $300 range?

My sister and her husband are interested in either getting a PC/laptop. He wants a desktop, but she wants a laptop. I'm looking at the budget build in the OP, and I'm wondering if I could go any cheaper. I think they'll just use it to browse the internet/Facebook--maybe some browser games for my niece, but nothing very demanding.

What do you guys think?

Oozer3993

I have grown tired of not being able to play anything on my 2 year old bargain-basement laptop, so I've decided to build myself a budget gaming PC. Despite being a Computer Science and Engineering major, I have to confess, I'm really not quite sure what I'm doing. The OP is wonderful in that regard. I've been patterning my build after the Eurogamer £300 PC, which seems to be extremely similar to the cheapest of Hazaro's builds in the OP. This is what I've been thinking so far:

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G850 2.9 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G850
* ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD​5 Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card
* BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
* NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

Am I heading down a bad path here, or is this looking ok? The only thing I might "splurge" on would be a quad core processor for some amount of future proofing, but is it really needed, or will I be able to get by with the G850? If not, would it be possible, or smart, to swap out the G850 for this AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Quad Core CPU + GPU combo? I'd still keep the Radeon 6670 discrete card. I'm not all that familiar with processors these days and just saw "Quad Core" and thought it must be better than the dual core Intel, so forgive me if this is a silly question. (And I'd have to get a different motherboard if I went this route, wouldn't I?)

1-D_FTW

I'm considering the same... in the same boat; Phenom II 940 @ 3.6Ghz. I'd like to go Ivy Bridge, but it will require all new stuff.

I'd like to hold out for the Haswell line, 6 cores.

Mainstream parts are still gonna be 4/4 with the i7 being 4/8. You'll need to go to the extreme series to see 6 cores.

Am I heading down a bad path here, or is this looking ok? The only thing I might "splurge" on would be a quad core processor for some amount of future proofing, but is it really needed, or will I be able to get by with the G850? If not, would it be possible, or smart, to swap out the G850 for this AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Quad Core CPU + GPU combo? I'd still keep the Radeon 6670 discrete card. I'm not all that familiar with processors these days and just saw "Quad Core" and thought it must be better than the dual core Intel, so forgive me if this is a silly question. (And I'd have to get a different motherboard if I went this route, wouldn't I?)

A8-3850 is a much much better processor, but the built-in GPU is so much more inferior.

I'd stick with G850+6670. The motherboard leaves room to upgrade to an i5-2500. This raises several options though:
- If you're not going to upgrade for a very very long time, just stick with that. You will need replace everything after that very long time, since by that time it won't be worth salvaging.
- If you see yourself upgrading the processor in maybe 2-3 years and plan to overclock, it might be wiser to pick a cheap H77 motherboard.

kharma45

I have grown tired of not being able to play anything on my 2 year old bargain-basement laptop, so I've decided to build myself a budget gaming PC. Despite being a Computer Science and Engineering major, I have to confess, I'm really not quite sure what I'm doing. The OP is wonderful in that regard. I've been patterning my build after the Eurogamer £300 PC, which seems to be extremely similar to the cheapest of Hazaro's builds in the OP. This is what I've been thinking so far:

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G850 2.9 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G850
* ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD​5 Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card
* BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
* NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

For the extra $2 I'd go for the G860 on Newegg, although on Amazon the 860 is cheaper than both.

A8-3850 is a much much better processor, but the built-in GPU is so much more inferior.

Other way around.

My sister and her husband are interested in either getting a PC/laptop. He wants a desktop, but she wants a laptop. I'm looking at the budget build in the OP, and I'm wondering if I could go any cheaper. I think they'll just use it to browse the internet/Facebook--maybe some browser games for my niece, but nothing very demanding.

What do you guys think?

Here's a decent $300 gaming PC: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ut7gn/build_complete_300_microbudget_gaming_pc_with/

or for around $115 here's a non-gaming build:
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/wlv7v/build_complete_aggressively_lowbudget_htpc_100/

Both will be able to handle browser games just fine, while the top one can play games at low/medium settings.

Addtionally, for a small budget it'd be better to get a netbook. It will come with a screen, a decent warranty, it's easier for less technologically inclined people, and it'll probably be cheaper too. You can pick up a good 10in netbook for £150 at sainsbury's or tesco, so presumably they'll be even cheaper in the US.

kharma45

Here's a decent $300 gaming PC: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ut7gn/build_complete_300_microbudget_gaming_pc_with/

or for around $115 here's a non-gaming build:
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/wlv7v/build_complete_aggressively_lowbudget_htpc_100/

Both will be able to handle browser games just fine, while the top one can play games at low/medium settings.

Addtionally, for a small budget it'd be better to get a netbook. It will come with a screen, a decent warranty, it's easier for less technologically inclined people, and it'll probably be cheaper too. You can pick up a good 10in netbook for £150 at sainsbury's or tesco, so presumably they'll be even cheaper in the US.

Biggest problem with those builds is they never factor in the cost of Windows.

Ashhong

Hey guys, so my friend has a budget of 500$ and I built this PC for her, what do you think

Core i5 3570K
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ASRock H77M
HIS H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750
Cooler Master Elite 430
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Patriot DDR3 8GB 1600MHz DUAL G2

Comes out to 500.48 after rebates and tax

Hey guys, so my friend has a budget of 500$ and I built this PC for her, what do you think

Core i5 3570K
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ASRock H77M
HIS H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750
Cooler Master Elite 430
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Patriot DDR3 8GB 1600MHz DUAL G2

Comes out to 500.48 after rebates and tax

If this PC is for gaming, rather than using 40% of the budget on a 3570K, go for a cheaper proc and get a more potent graphics card. Ofcourse, if she plans on upgrading the graphics card soon, then best to stick to the integrated graphics and save the money from the 7750 for a better card.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The stock i5 coolers are good enough atm right? I need to bring the cost of my build down a bit so I was gonna drop the 212 for now and get it later when I decide to OC.

Jburton

Banned
The stock i5 coolers are good enough atm right? I need to bring the cost of my build down a bit so I was gonna drop the 212 for now and get it later when I decide to OC.

Totally fine, especially if not overclocking.

My i5-2500k idles around 31c and under load hits around 60c.

Will be buying a better cooler in the future myself.

I've had my PC for over a year (i7 2600, GTX 570, 8 GB RAM) but recently my CPU has been idling in the high 50s (normal idle temp is usually in the high 30s) according to CPUID HW Monitor. The weird thing is that is that my load temps are the same as before, typically in the mid 70s. Yeah, a little high but I'm using the stock cooler and I've played hundreds of hours of intense games with literally no CPU issues. Cause for concern?

mkenyon

Banned
I've had my PC for over a year (i7 2600, GTX 570, 8 GB RAM) but recently my CPU has been idling in the high 50s (normal idle temp is usually in the high 30s) according to CPUID HW Monitor. The weird thing is that is that my load temps are the same as before, typically in the mid 70s. Yeah, a little high but I'm using the stock cooler and I've played hundreds of hours of intense games with literally no CPU issues. Cause for concern?
When was the last time you cleaned it?

Icomp

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU to either MSI 660 Ti or a Sapphire 7950. Right now I have an MSI 560 Ti.

7950 seems to generally have better performance, but suffers from bad drivers (According to some.), while the 660 Ti have access to Nvidia Inspector, TXAA, PhysX and all in all, good drivers.

I'd like someones opinions on the cards. :|

cackhyena

So according to the OP chart, having a P8Z77 V LK mobo, I would only have to upgrade to a better CPU than my 3570k if future games demand more than 4 cores? I thought I'd have to swap out both. That's a little more manageable. Still hoping 4 cores is accommodated throughout the next four years or so at least. Gimme some time with this baby.

mkenyon

Banned
So according to the OP chart, having a P8Z77 V LK mobo, I would only have to upgrade to a better CPU than my 3570k if future games demand more than 4 cores? I thought I'd have to swap out both. That's a little more manageable. Still hoping 4 cores is accommodated throughout the next four years or so at least. Gimme some time with this baby.
There will be no CPU for Z77 that has more than four cores. The next set of CPUs that will be released will not work on it either.
I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU to either MSI 660 Ti or a Sapphire 7950. Right now I have an MSI 560 Ti.

7950 seems to generally have better performance, but suffers from bad drivers (According to some.), while the 660 Ti have access to Nvidia Inspector, TXAA, PhysX and all in all, good drivers.

I'd like someones opinions on the cards. :|
Don't look at performance:dollar. Look at "increased performance:dollar". For you, the 670 or 7970 are a better buy. I wouldn't go for the 660Ti, it just seems like it has such a short life span. As soon as the new engines hit, I'm anticipating a pretty quick drop in performance on it.

But, if I had to choose between those two, 7950 any day of the week.

haikira

Currently on a GTX 580. Though starting to get fussy, since i can't max out some games like BF3 and Sleeping Dogs (Minus the supersampling of course) with 60 framerate.

Thinking of upgrading, though having a hard time picking a card. Seems like i'm in a position where any upgrade is either pretty small or the price to performance ratio gets crazy. Guessing i should just wait it out a little longer?

1-D_FTW

:( I might have made a huge mistake.

The next-gen of Intel CPUs don't have any 6 or 8 core parts on the roadmap either. It's just the E-Series. So unless you plan on spending big bucks on these server parts, it really doesn't matter. If things really benefti from multi-threading, you could always just swap in a used i7 that has 4c/8t.

Dipswitch

Question - I just built my new rig with the Corsair Carbide 500R and it came with a free additional fan. The case comes with 2 120mm fans in front, one 120mm fan in the rear and a 200mm(!) fan in the side of the case already.

Is adding this to the top of the case going to help or hurt cooling wise? Seems like it might be overkill at this point.

cackhyena

The next-gen of Intel CPUs don't have any 6 or 8 core parts on the roadmap either. It's just the E-Series. So unless you plan on spending big bucks on these server parts, it really doesn't matter. If things really benefti from multi-threading, you could always just swap in a used i7 that has 4c/8t.

You mean keeping my current mobo? So threads are the the thing to pay closer attention to?

1-D_FTW

You mean keeping my current mobo? So threads are the the thing to pay closer attention to?

If UE4 is actually supporting this, yes. Because Maxwell isn't going to have any mainstream CPUs above 4c/8t. So if this only applies to cores and excludes multi-threading, there aren't going to be a whole lot of people who'll take advantage of it.

ithorien

Hey folks.

Due to my wife's silly woman nature of buying really expensive purses I have some allowance and am looking at a new SSD to replace my 120gb.

Been looking at Samsung 830s, but I cannot for the life of me pick out the difference between the three models Newegg has on their site.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147138 (Just realized this is with a Laptop kit)

Any ideas? Slight model name difference and price of course, I don't know which one I should buy. The $230 variant is highest rated.

So time for my second silly, rookie-type question. I want to open my case up, do some wire organization, clean the dust of parts etc. As I see it I will have to remove ll of my SATA cords; my question is, if necessary I use the exact same cord, from the same plug, into the same disk drive to avoid screwing up my MBR? I won't be adding or removing any drives, just resetting how things flow so to speak. I'd like to avoid an incident where I can't boot at all.

Thanks!

coldfoot

Banned
Overlord computer monitor pre-orders are up!
I ordered mine 10 minutes ago, and got the $25 discount.

$400 is not bad for practically the same monitor as the Apple Cinema Display, but with more inputs :)
And unlike eBay sellers, you get a higher quality panel and US warranty.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey folks.

Due to my wife's silly woman nature of buying really expensive purses I have some allowance and am looking at a new SSD to replace my 120gb.

Been looking at Samsung 830s, but I cannot for the life of me pick out the difference between the three models Newegg has on their site.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147138 (Just realized this is with a Laptop kit)

Any ideas? Slight model name difference and price of course, I don't know which one I should buy. The $230 variant is highest rated.
Different accessories to mount in different types of systems, as well as additional software. If you don't need the mounting accessories, then get the least expensive.
So time for my second silly, rookie-type question. I want to open my case up, do some wire organization, clean the dust of parts etc. As I see it I will have to remove ll of my SATA cords; my question is, if necessary I use the exact same cord, from the same plug, into the same disk drive to avoid screwing up my MBR? I won't be adding or removing any drives, just resetting how things flow so to speak. I'd like to avoid an incident where I can't boot at all.

Thanks!
Just keep the drives in the same ports they were before. Cables don't matter.

Question - I just built my new rig with the Corsair Carbide 500R and it came with a free additional fan. The case comes with 2 120mm fans in front, one 120mm fan in the rear and a 200mm(!) fan in the side of the case already.

Is adding this to the top of the case going to help or hurt cooling wise? Seems like it might be overkill at this point.
I'd actually remove the side panel one and put the extra 120mm on the top.
Overlord computer monitor pre-orders are up!
I ordered mine 10 minutes ago, and got the $25 discount.

$400 is not bad for practically the same monitor as the Apple Cinema Display, but with more inputs :)
And unlike eBay sellers, you get a higher quality panel and US warranty.
More inputs = more input lag. I wouldn't suggest this monitor for gaming, only for general usage and multimedia.

coldfoot

Banned
More inputs = more input lag. I wouldn't suggest this monitor for gaming, only for general usage and multimedia.

No reviews of this monitor or the Auria/Korean monitors with the same inputs find any discernible input lag. Besides, there's a cheaper version with just dual link DVI if you care about that sort of thing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hey guys messing around with my cpu OC and would like some input

2600k 4.7 ghz @ 1.37v with temps peaking at 72 C after 1 h of prime95. Cooler is a dh-14

Looking good ? Bad? Planning on running with this if it turns out to be stable, anything ( like voltage or temps ) that indicate that I shouldn't ?

mkenyon

Banned
hey guys messing around with my cpu OC and would like some input

2600k 4.7 ghz @ 1.37v with temps peaking at 72 C after 1 h of prime95. Cooler is a dh-14

Looking good ? Bad?
Rockin' OC
No reviews of this monitor or the Auria/Korean monitors with the same inputs find any discernible input lag. Besides, there's a cheaper version with just dual link DVI if you care about that sort of thing.
Definitely go for the single input monitor.

What have the reviews measured it as? "No discernable" is basically meaningless without numbers.

coldfoot

Banned
What have the reviews measured it as? "No discernable" is basically meaningless without numbers.
I'll take no discernible over numbers...I will be using this monitor for 2 sources, a macbook pro with mini-DP and a PC with Dual link DVI, so it's the best choice for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Rockin' OC

Oh, that's great to hear.

Prior to this OC, what I was using was 4.4 @ 1.27v and ~66C in prime so I thought fuck it I'll up this OC. If the temps and voltages aren't too high in your opinion I'll stick with it :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom