• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheD

The Detective
So I have as many cases fans as I can installed in my case, buying a fan and putting it in the top PSU area helped keep my system cool when I got it a month back.
But in the last few days the case is getting hot again even with that fan running and yesterday it even crashed because of the heat when playing Planetside 2.

I think it is the CPU that is making the case so hot, but it is already running a Hyper 212+ cooler.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the heat out of the case any quicker?

Bleether

Banned
I'll help you nail down a watercooling cart when you're ready for that portion of it too. You do mean this kind of watercooling, right?

Looks like a solid build, but if you are watercooling I assume you have some preference on aesthetics. You should swap out the PSU for a corsair AX unit so you can buy some fully sleeved power cords like in my build above. The R4 takes a bit of modding to watercool in as well. You'll need to create some kind of mounting bracket in the front for a radiator, and the top one will need to be offset in order to clear the motherboard. If you want a mid tower and want to watercool, the HAF XM, Fractal Arc Midi, and CM 690II will provide the most ability with zero modding. Going up in size, the BitFeinx Shinobi XL, NZXT Switch 810, and CM Storm Stryker/Trooper are great picks. You could also go with the Arc Mini, and put a 240mm radiator in the roof and in the front.

Yes sir, you and your beautiful rig are my inspirations.

As far as aesthetics i am definitely going for a clean look. I love the lighting that some people do, and if my machine had no lighting i wouldn't mind at all. As far as tower size, i dont mind it being a mid or full tower.

I am actually a very open minded person, so i wouldn't mind thinking outside of the box as far as aesthetics.

I will definitely check out those other cases.

scogoth

Yes sir, you and your beautiful rig are my inspirations.

As far as aesthetics i am definitely going for a clean look. I love the lighting that some people do, and if my machine had no lighting i wouldn't mind at all. As far as tower size, i dont mind it being a mid or full tower.

I am actually a very open minded person, so i wouldn't mind thinking outside of the box as far as aesthetics.

I will definitely check out those other cases.

LD PC-V7 is out now!
500x1000px-LL-3c3efd96_voFg5.jpeg

DTKT

So I have as many cases fans as I can installed in my case, buying a fan and putting it in the top PSU area helped keep my system cool when I got it a month back.
But in the last few days the case is getting hot again even with that fan running and yesterday it even crashed because of the heat when playing Planetside 2.

I think it is the CPU that is making the case so hot, but it is already running a Hyper 212+ cooler.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the heat out of the case any quicker?

Damn, systems crashing because of heat during normal operations sounds pretty bad. Arr you sure the Heatsink is seated and there is thermal paste? I live in Quebec and we just had a few days of -10c. Dropped my CPU temp by about -5C.

Whooter

Anyone know of a software like the steam mover tool that can be used on other files? I want to move my Diablo 3 off my SSD and onto my HDD.

Unless something has changed, I believe Blizzard does not use any registry hooks or anything, so you can literally just copy the game files from one drive to the other, and change where your launch shortcut points to.

Salsa

welp started running other games to check for issues similar to those in Spiderman..

this is rolling back the OC to default stock, and going back from beta drivers to stable ones

Assassin's Creed Revelations (rug at the top)

Saints Row The Third (sign in the back, wooden windows on the right)

these arent unique instances but something you run into constantly..

have game engines always been this fucked and I just hadnt noticed or am I fucked with this card :S

TheD

The Detective
Damn, systems crashing because of heat during normal operations sounds pretty bad. Arr you sure the Heatsink is seated and there is thermal paste? I live in Quebec and we just had a few days of -10c. Dropped my CPU temp by about -5C.

Well, I live in Australia and it is getting into summer.

Heatsink is seated fine and I built this computer about a year ago, so unless someone has come in during the night, pulled my PC apart and cleaned off the paste, it is still there :p
I am also pretty sure that tons of heat coming off the heat sink means it is working.

I have run linpack and prime95 many times over my system's life and not have had heat problems.

The only thing I can think to do is to move the PC out from under my desk, but I do not really have any other place to put it (and it is at the very end of the desk, a desk with poll type legs, so it should be able to keep cool).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
welp started running other games to check for issues similar to those in Spiderman..

this is rolling back the OC to default stock, and going back from beta drivers to stable ones

Assassin's Creed Revelations (rug at the top)

Saints Row The Third (sign in the back, wooden windows on the right)

these arent unique instances but something you run into constantly..

have game engines always been this fucked and I just hadnt noticed or am I fucked with this card :S
:(

Try lowering the memory clock below stock and see if the issue persists.

Sorry to hear all your troubles, that was a used GTX 680 right?
Well, I live in Australia and it is getting into summer.

Heatsink is seated fine and I built this computer about a year ago, so unless someone has come in during the night, pulled my PC apart and cleaned off the paste, it is still there :p
I am also pretty sure that tons of heat coming off the heat sink means it is working.

I have run linpack and prime95 many times over my system's life and not have had heat problems.

The only thing I can think to do is to move the PC out from under my desk, but I do not really have any other place to put it (and it is at the very end of the desk, a desk with poll type legs, so it should be able to keep cool).
Yeah, but what are the numbers under load NOW?

Salsa

:(

Try lowering the memory clock below stock and see if the issue persists.

Sorry to hear all your troubles, that was a used GTX 680 right?

yup

guy who sold it to me comes back from a trip on december fifth, but I wanna really make sure this is uncommon before considering a return..

scogoth

Man, there are some insane looking water builds with that case on their FB. Definitely fit for a water cooling enthusiast.

I would like to be in the sub $130 range for the rig i put together.

Yeah definitely not in the $130 range. It's always nice to dream though

Ok, my sis is looking for a 24' monitor, anyone see any decent deals? Since she claims she'll use it "for work in the office" there are no gaming considerations.

sixghost

Ok, my sis is looking for a 24' monitor, anyone see any decent deals? Since she claims she'll use it "for work in the office" there are no gaming considerations.

ASUS VS Series VS247H-P - $120 after rebate. Just saw that one slickdeals

If anyone in your family is a Costco member, there's a 24" samsung for $140 this week, I believe. I haven't used either of those, but the reviews seem ok, and they're cheap.

ASUS VS Series VS247H-P - $120 after rebate. Just saw that one slickdeals

If anyone in your family is a Costco member, there's a 24" samsung for $140 this week, I believe. I haven't used either of those, but the reviews seem ok, and they're cheap.

Yep, that's the Asus monitor I grabbed! it's superior to the VS248 because it's 300cd.
Here is another good Samsung LCD one for $120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16824001651

neoanarch

HDMI > *. Its not an hdmi out so your comment makes no sense. HDMI is super useful as you never know what you might one day want to hook up to your monitor. Wiiu/360/ps3, cable/settop box, Graphics card, boxee/roku/bluray player.

HDMI > *. Its not an hdmi out so your comment makes no sense. HDMI is super useful as you never know what you might one day want to hook up to your monitor. Wiiu/360/ps3, cable/settop box, Graphics card, boxee/roku/bluray player.
Just glanced it, thought it was HDMI Out. Still, she'll never use it. :p

EDIT: Went with the ASUS VS Series VS247H-P, thanks again sixghost. Hope she likes it.

Salsa

well JaseC could somewhat recreate my issues with Saints Row The Third so I guess that's just a bug..

but now im trying Sleeping Dogs and im getting weird missing geometry like this:

that im pretty sure wasnt there before

plus, the screen suddenly flashed white for like a milisecond every now and then while in-game. Happened like 5 times.

gonna pop the 560ti back in tomorrow I guess and compare

looks like im still being peed on by the PC gods

Salsa

the constant that I seem to get everywhere is some white artifacts popping up rarely. Like just for a milisecond some texture will flash completely white instead of what its supposed to do. Its quick to levels where I wonder if im just starting to go nuts from the testing, so it really is just a tiny flash.

could it be that I damaged the card from the OC? (keep in mind that this happens even after reverting back) it was pretty mild so I doubt it

Salsa

The same bug appears to me. GTX 680 and no real problems with other games.

thanks. Someone said that they had the Spiderman bug too so im getting some peace of mind. Odd one out are the random white artifacts (as seen in SR3 above) so far..

Sendou

thanks. Someone said that they had the Spiderman bug too so im getting some peace of mind. Odd one out are the random white artifacts (as seen in SR3 above) so far..

They all seem like game specific issues to me. I don't think there's anything you can do about them. I get same kind of small visual problems and I haven't even OC'd my card. So if you want to troubleshoot more you can at least rule that one out.

R0nn

Is this thread also applicable for PC to HDTV setup questions?

If so, I have a few question regarding this.

Currently I'm running a i5-3450 / HD7850 2GB setup, which is connected by HDMI to a Panny GT50.

Now, not every game will run a stable 60 fps. This causes games to become very jittery in motion during lower framerate sequences. It looks different from my monitor (or console games).

So, I decided to enable Intelligent Frame Creation on my tv, which seems to reduce the jitter effect quite a bit. My question, is this recommended for gaming at all?

It's starting to get hot here in Australia and I wanted to bump up the fan speed a bit on my GPU to try and keep things running cooler. Is there such thing as a recommended fan curve or do I just need to fiddle around in Afterburner and see what's up?

Smokey

My 23" feels ideal for KB+M on a decent sized desk. 27" is pretty close to too big for traditional PC gaming, I'd say, but if you have a deep desktop or play a lot sitting back in your chair with a controller it could work fine.

There is no such thing. Now if it's a 1080p 27'' screen sure. If it's 1440p+ its heaven.

scogoth

Is this thread also applicable for PC to HDTV setup questions?

If so, I have a few question regarding this.

Currently I'm running a i5-3450 / HD7850 2GB setup, which is connected by HDMI to a Panny GT50.

Now, not every game will run a stable 60 fps. This causes games to become very jittery in motion during lower framerate sequences. It looks different from my monitor (or console games).

So, I decided to enable Intelligent Frame Creation on my tv, which seems to reduce the jitter effect quite a bit. My question, is this recommended for gaming at all?

No because it introduces a huge amount of latency creating input lag. If you don't play games that require precision then it may not be noticeable to you.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm scrapping the idea about getting the thunderbolt equipped motherboard since the Apple Thunderbolt Displays seem to be having problems.

I can either get the cheap $130 Intel motherboard I had selected before or get a motherboard with good sound and forgo possibly getting the Asus Xonar STX. Does the Fractal R4 fit EATX motherboards? Guys on Overclock.net claim it does. I was looking at the ASUS Maximus V mentioned, but it is EATX.

Currently running an i5 2400, 6 gigs of RAM, and an ATi 5770 in an Dell XPS 8300. I believe my current PSU is set 450 watts. Resolution is 1920x1080.

Could I get away with just buying a beefier graphics card or should I also bump up to 8 or 10 gigs of RAM? Worried I may need a slightly bigger PSU as well.

I could spend up to $250 bucks on a GPU alone but wouldn't bat an eye at less manly but better priced options.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Currently running an i5 2400, 6 gigs of RAM, and an ATi 5770 in an Dell XPS 8300. I believe my current PSU is set 450 watts. Resolution is 1920x1080.

Could I get away with just buying a beefier graphics card or should I also bump up to 8 or 10 gigs of RAM? Worried I may need a slightly bigger PSU as well.

I could spend up to $250 bucks on a GPU alone but wouldn't bat an eye at less manly but better priced options.
I just ordered this one to upgraded from a 5770:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJVB3Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

t-ramp

There is no such thing. Now if it's a 1080p 27'' screen sure. If it's 1440p+ its heaven.
Sure, but at some point the screen is just too big for reasonable use at a desk. Even if my 32" TV was capable of 4K resolution it would still feel uncomfortably large to use from a couple feet away. I know that people use 30" monitors and love them, though, so it's a matter of personal preference. As Kurdel said, he can always move the monitor closer or further away for the right proximity.

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm scrapping the idea about getting the thunderbolt equipped motherboard since the Apple Thunderbolt Displays seem to be having problems.

I can either get the cheap $130 Intel motherboard I had selected before or get a motherboard with good sound and forgo possibly getting the Asus Xonar STX. Does the Fractal R4 fit EATX motherboards? Guys on Overclock.net claim it does. I was looking at the ASUS Maximus V mentioned, but it is EATX.
Are you talking about the Maximus that has the soundcard which comes with it? If so, I'd do some digging to see if it is a decent product (I will as well for ya). It's total overkill when you look at the motherboard, but since it's the same price you'd be spending on a regular board + STX, it almost makes sense.

If it's not a great product, then I would definitely go with the standard $130 board + STX.

The R4 does fit EATX, but the motherboard will cover up the cable routing holes/grommets. It's not a big deal because there's a big open edge next to it that would serve the same purpose.

Don't know if you saw this either, but there's an option :p

I'd need a picture of the sticker on your PSU before I could give any safe advice. Basically we're looking for amps/watts on the 12v rail. 7850 or GTX660 is probably the best bet.

I'm probably going to buy the graphics card today and I wanted to ask something here before I do. The main reason I wanted to go with Nvidia was becase of Physx which I think looks kickass, but I don't think it is worth $50. I could have sworn that I've heard of folks using an AMD card paired with dedicated and cheap Nvidia card for Physx and I'm asking about that here. I think it sounds stupid and fake, but does that actually work? It sounds totally dumb, but I'd be extremely open to the idea of a configuration like that down the road(I totally want to play Mirror's Edge with Physx this time) and the 7950 windforce is a steal even in my green eyes.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm probably going to buy the graphics card today and I wanted to ask something here before I do. The main reason I wanted to go with Nvidia was becase of Physx which I think looks kickass, but I don't think it is worth $50. I could have sworn that I've heard of folks using an AMD card paired with dedicated and cheap Nvidia card for Physx and I'm asking about that here. I think it sounds stupid and fake, but does that actually work? It sounds totally dumb, but I'd be extremely open to the idea of a configuration like that down the road(I totally want to play Mirror's Edge with Physx this time) and the 7950 windforce is a steal even in my green eyes.
You can force run physx in almost all games, and it just runs off of the CPU. Let me find that article....

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page5.html

Heads-up for anyone on a tight budget, but you can get 2x4 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz 1.5 V RAM for $18 after rebate + free shipping at Newegg right now. Here's the link.

It has mixed reviews, admittedly, but it's by far the cheapest I've ever seen 2x4 GB for RAM.

R0nn

No because it introduces a huge amount of latency creating input lag. If you don't play games that require precision then it may not be noticeable to you.

Alright, so what other options do I have? I really dislike the jittery look.

There are more issues too. Like how the top horizontal bar during cutscenes isn't positioned correctly, which causes a really thin part of the game footage to appear between the bar and the edge of my tv. I can remedy this by using 16:9 scaling from the tv, but this also makes everything a bit more blurry and parts of the screen within Windows fall outside the display area.

mkenyon

Banned

There are more issues too. Like how the top horizontal bar during cutscenes isn't positioned correctly, which causes a really thin part of the game footage to appear between the bar and the edge of my tv. I can remedy this by using 16:9 scaling from the tv, but this also makes everything a bit more blurry and parts of the screen within Windows fall outside the display area.
Have you tried turning off vsync?

Addnan

How long to power supplies in general last? In my old build I have a overkill 750W silverstone, but it's something like 5 years old now. Haven't had any problems with it. Would it be ok to stick in a new build, can I expect it to last?

scogoth

Have you tried turning off vsync?

Try that and play at lower settings. Does your TV have a PC mode or game mode? That will turn off any post processing and turn the TV scaling into 1:1 mode and make it more like a regular monitor. However low frame rates are low frame rates =(

Zimbardo

hi guys, i was thinking about buying the MSI Twinfrozr GTX680 4GB video card and was hoping someone might be able to give some input on it or other 680 4gb cards ...

MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twinfrozr 1124MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=74618&vpn=N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar

i'm looking for lots of power in a single card ...so do you guys think that'll be a safe bet/purchase? or is there another GTX680 that i should be looking at?

thanks for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom