• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Amazon is going to have a sale on RAM again. This time for a desktop.

They're selling three different products.

Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMD16GX3M2A1866C9)

How much difference does 8 GB to 16 GB make when it comes to RAM? What about the cooling for the Corsair product? Is the price difference between the two brands just due to the cooling/brand name or is there a reason I'm overlooking?

Salsa

ive been testing every game ive had issues with but now with my old 560ti and can recreate pretty much every one so far, so yeah I dont think its the card, just me paying more attention

itxaka

Defeatist
Umm, I have a gtx460 OC and a phenom X4 at 3.2Ghz

Which one sshould be the recommended upgrade first?

Checking the upgrades for CPU, I see that I can jump to some AM3+ cpus which seem nice but for 200€ I could ride a nice GTX660 to help my 460.

Not sure if I should jump to intel thougth. But that would set me back much more money (cpu+board)

Any thougths?

This
Okay. Amazon is going to have a sale on RAM again. This time for a desktop.

They're selling three different products.

Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMD16GX3M2A1866C9)

How much difference does 8 GB to 16 GB make when it comes to RAM? What about the cooling for the Corsair product? Is the price difference between the two brands just due to the cooling/brand name or is there a reason I'm overlooking?

Ty4on

Well, I've already checked out.... It won't hurt right?

I might actually try my hand with video editing and such on my new machine anyway.

Nah, will make you future proof :p

Just because it's a fun free app I sometimes use, but Blender can be a memory hog when calculating complex fluid physics. It is strangely satisfying to make a realistic glass be filled with realistic water...

GHG

Gold Member
Umm, I have a gtx460 OC and a phenom X4 at 3.2Ghz

Which one sshould be the recommended upgrade first?

Checking the upgrades for CPU, I see that I can jump to some AM3+ cpus which seem nice but for 200€ I could ride a nice GTX660 to help my 460.

Not sure if I should jump to intel thougth. But that would set me back much more money (cpu+board)

Any thougths?

How would you feel about getting a custom cooler for your CPU and overclocking it a bit? If you can get it to 3.8Ghz or so it should prevent it from bottlenecking any decent GPU too much. Oh and don't get a GTX660, go for something like the 7950. It should be in the same price range. If you MUST settle for Nvidia go for the Ti version of the 660.

Definately upgrade the GPU first. Any half decent quad core processor (OC'd if need be...) should be sufficient for at least the next 12-18 months if paired with a good graphics card.

amrod

hi guys, i was thinking about buying the MSI Twinfrozr GTX680 4GB video card and was hoping someone might be able to give some input on it or other 680 4gb cards ...

MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twinfrozr 1124MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=74618&vpn=N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar

i'm looking for lots of power in a single card ...so do you guys think that'll be a safe bet/purchase? or is there another GTX680 that i should be looking at?

thanks for any input.
I got one and love it!

Petrie

Banned
So I clumsily scratched my nail against the CPU pins on my mobo, and you can definitely see it. Now when I turn it join it turns off about 10 seconds later. Can I assume the mobo is shot? I had the whole thing disassembled so I won't bother reassembling if that's the case.

It looks like the pins are a bit bent, nothing severe, but noticeable.

mkenyon

Banned
hi guys, i was thinking about buying the MSI Twinfrozr GTX680 4GB video card and was hoping someone might be able to give some input on it or other 680 4gb cards ...

MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twinfrozr 1124MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=74618&vpn=N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar

i'm looking for lots of power in a single card ...so do you guys think that'll be a safe bet/purchase? or is there another GTX680 that i should be looking at?

thanks for any input.
Right now, the single most powerful card (single GPU) is the ASUS RoG Matrix 7970 and the HIS overclocked 7970. They are aimed at enthusiasts that will be doing some OC'ing themselves.

GHG

Gold Member
So I clumsily scratched my nail against the CPU pins on my mobo, and you can definitely see it. Now when I turn it join it turns off about 10 seconds later. Can I assume the mobo is shot? I had the whole thing disassembled so I won't bother reassembling if that's the case.

It looks like the pins are a bit bent, nothing severe, but noticeable.

You can try bending them back in line using a thin card or something else suitable. Be careful though because there is a risk you can also fry your CPU when you turn it back on.

I had a not too dissimilar problem a couple of years ago when i accidentally bent a load of pins on my CPU itself. I then spent the next 2 hours with a magnifying glass and a thin metal card putting them all back into place. It worked then and its still working today after many hours of gaming.

Basically, its your call what you want to do. But just be aware of the risks.

itxaka

Defeatist
How would you feel about getting a custom cooler for your CPU and overclocking it a bit? If you can get it to 3.8Ghz or so it should prevent it from bottlenecking any decent GPU too much. Oh and don't get a GTX660, go for something like the 7950. It should be in the same price range. If you MUST settle for Nvidia go for the Ti version of the 660.

Definately upgrade the GPU first. Any half decent quad core processor (OC'd if need be...) should be sufficient for at least the next 12-18 months if paired with a good graphics card.

I got a coolermaster v8 which I love because it give me silence. I used to have the CPU at 3.8Ghz but a month ago started rebooting by itself so I downclocked it again and it's been stable since then. Strange as it has been at 3.8Ghz for at least a year and a half with no issues.

Regarding ati/nvidia. I had a 660 in mind because I can use the 460 as a second card for whatever, seeing that the thing is istill capable (running AC3 with no problems and hitman at around 44fps average)

You know, kind of I update the card but don't trash the older one as that would be financially stupid while keeping both would give me some extra for my money at least.

Thanks anyway for the comments, gonna check the CPU again. Still annoyed that suddenly it started rebooting for no reason :/

Okay, so I now need three things. A case, a mother board, and a processor.

While shopping around for these things I came across this relatively cheap Asus board with an AMD A55 chipset compatibility. Newegg had some recommended items to go along with it including this AMD APU.

I honestly don't know if I've ever even heard of an APU before, and if I did I certainly didn't know what it was. Looking around, it appears that the technology is relatively new, and there were quite a few people singing it's praises. It's priced affordably compared to Intel CPUs, so I'm interested. Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a good CPU vs. an APU? And any thoughts on the board itself or AMD/Intel would be appreciated.

scogoth

Hey guys,

i just bought this videocard: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7950-Twin-Frozr-3GD5-OC.html#?div=Overview

I got two of them and they are coming in tomorrow.

My question is, how can i setup 2 dell ultrasharp monitors and 1 samsung tv on to this card so they all have images.

Yes

Gonna try putting my 680 on the second pci-e slot just for kicks to see if the vrm pop pitch changes at all

I've never seen someone with so many problems. =(

Maybe you should start looking at acoustic noise dampening material to help soften the blow? I've seen someone just tape towel to the inside of their case to help with noise (not covering and air intake/outtake obviously)

Tess3ract

Banned
or just get a beefy 5.1, never notice my full speed fans with my setup lol
logitech_g51_01.jpg
I have those, anyone wanna buy it? haha

I've gone and replaced them with Big Boy speakers and a receiver. Still missing the sub tho.

If surround sound isn't a requirement, y'all need to get the Swan M10s and call it a day. Someone suggested them to me in an older version of this thread about 18 months ago and it was an amazingly awesome suggestion.

I know you guys aren't looking for speakers, but still, I like to drop that suggestion whenever even remotely appropriate.

Omiee

Yes

Maybe you should start looking at acoustic noise dampening material to help soften the blow? I've seen someone just tape towel to the inside of their case to help with noise (not covering and air intake/outtake obviously)

No the question was how?

Because on my old cards i used to connect the both dell monitors via dvi and than the samsung tv with hdmi to display port cable but than only 2 monitors or 1 monitor and the tv would work.

how can i get them all 3 to work?

Ty4on

Okay, so I now need three things. A case, a mother board, and a processor.

While shopping around for these things I came across this relatively cheap Asus board with an AMD A55 chipset compatibility. Newegg had some recommended items to go along with it including this AMD APU.

I honestly don't know if I've ever even heard of an APU before, and if I did I certainly didn't know what it was. Looking around, it appears that the technology is relatively new, and there were quite a few people singing it's praises. It's priced affordably compared to Intel CPUs, so I'm interested. Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a good CPU vs. an APU? And any thoughts on the board itself or AMD/Intel would be appreciated.

APU is AMD's name for a CPU with graphics integrated. AMD's graphics is however Radeon and much better than Intel's, but still not as good as most graphics cards.
AMD Trinity (5800K) Review. (fast RAM makes a difference here)

Windam

Scaley member
Alright guys, got the SSD yesterday and I set everything up. (Windows is on SSD, wiped HDD and now using it simply for storage.) I've got indexing disabled on the SSD for search options, but is there a way to enable it for the HDD so that I can search files/programs located on the HDD in my start menu search? So used to typing a song name or program into the search menu to find it, but I can't do that for files located on my HDD now.

Omiee

that sub damn near destroys my room lol, snagged em for 100 of craigslist, with a sb audigy sound card, mainly love that control pod though

think with nvidia you need sli cards or a new amd radeon will do so with one card iirc

What do you mean?

I had two 6950's now im switching to two 7950's.

As you can see in the link: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7950-Twin-Frozr-3GD5-OC.html#?div=Overview

it has two mini display port to display port and a hdmi.

Could i put two display port cables to the dell monitors and than the hdmi to the samsung monitor. Would that work?

Kind of in the preliminary stages of planning my first rig, will be starting from scratch. I won't be executing actual building until around June so I'm trying to wrap my head around all the different brands, all the different states each component's tech is at right now etc etc. and basically just educate myself. When I put it together I'll be looking to drop around £1500 since I'll be starting from Nada and really set myself up so I don't need to upgrade anything for a year and a half/2 years, and then just a component as necessary. I think I'm down on Mobos so far, and GPUs, but am I right in thinking that while I'm reading up on sandy bridge/ivy bridge right now for CPUs, when the time rolls around I'll be looking at whatever Haswell is to set myself in a good posit? or will these still be relevant/the stuff I want for gaming? This really will be a gaming centric rig btw. Cheers/appropriate embarrassment if this is a stupid question.

Tame

Got my HD7950 through yesterday....JEEEES its a big mother. Had to bend the Hdd rack housing to get it in. Its in but it aint pretty.

Came with a free download code for Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Farcry 3...which was nice

My PC has been a bit temperamental the past week or so (when i switch the PC on it wouldn't output to the monitor). After checking for slack connections and broken wires, i tried removing one of the sticks of memory.

Switched PC on, display image comes up. Ya dancer :)

After a bit of checking and swapping memory i found that the first stick of memory was the faulty one. So while i wait for the memory to be swapped and delivered (they were still under warranty) i'll manufacture the hdd rack so that it doesnt look like a blind berzerker took a benny with a hammer inside my case

Ty4on

Okay, but I already have a fairly good AMD GPU. Could I use this APU as a decent processor for $130, or would I be better off elsewhere?

A low priced Intel would be better for gaming. Either a Pentium or an i3.
Later in the review you can see numbers that matter like for how long the frame rate was less than 60fps.
skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Salsa

well I dont care that much about the noise issues with this random artifacting (that again, im now noticing even with my 560ti so its not videocard related but rather specific game issues) so honestly i'll just deal with that with headphones/speakers.

its not like my cards last too much aynway, gonna change it as soon as non-ref 7xx comes out. Will probably be able to sell this at local pricing and use that money to get a new one from the next batch when someone travels to the US

I do seem to have many graphic-card related issues though, lol. Maybe my standards are just too high.

Omiee

Got my HD7950 through yesterday....JEEEES its a big mother. Had to bend the Hdd rack housing to get it in. Its in but it aint pretty.

Came with a free download code for Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Farcry 3...which was nice

My PC has been a bit temperamental the past week or so (when i switch the PC on it wouldn't output to the monitor). After checking for slack connections and broken wires, i tried removing one of the sticks of memory.

Switched PC on, display image comes up. Ya dancer :)

After a bit of checking and swapping memory i found that the first stick of memory was the faulty one. So while i wait for the memory to be swapped and delivered (they were still under warranty) i'll manufacture the hdd rack so that it doesnt look like a blind berzerker took a benny with a hammer inside my case

which version did you buy that gave you all those free games =O

DTKT

well I dont care that much about the noise issues with this random artifacting (that again, im now noticing even with my 560ti so its not videocard related but rather specific game issues) so honestly i'll just deal with that with headphones/speakers.

its not like my cards last too much aynway, gonna change it as soon as non-ref 7xx comes out. Will probably be able to sell this at local pricing and use that money to get a new one from the next batch when someone travels to the US

I do seem to have many graphic-card related issues though, lol. Maybe my standards are just too high.

When you are actively looking for issues in every little thing, you will always find some. :p

So after some studying, I think I have a better idea.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pR0H w/ no storage yet.
Feedback would be very much appreciated (first build).
I'm looking to build during winter break.

Some questions:
1. I'm looking for a storage, is it advised to just have an SSD in place of an HDD?
2. Why are there so many types of HD7850 cards?

Crosspost from B/S/T

Fully built monster gaming rig - $1300

ASUS Sabertooth P67
Intel 2500K running at 4.5Ghz (can set lower if you'd like)
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600.
Corsair Force GT 120GB
Corsair H60
ASUS RoG Matrix 7970 running at 1190 MHz (~15% faster than a 680)
ASUS Xonar DX
2xSamsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Fractal Define R4
2x140mm Fractal Fans
2x120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro Fans
Seasonic X750 w/ Psychosleeve Braided Cables

The RoG Matrix is only in the dark picture above. Others are with the DCII 7970 which is almost the same size. This runs quieter than my fully watercooled build, no joke. Basically silent even at load.

I'd be willing to drop some parts to drop the price on it a bit, but the Motherboard and CPU gotta go. Thought I'd put the whole thing up to see if there's any bites though.

Alternatively, I'd sell the 2500K, H60, and P67 Sabertooth for $300. Not really wanting to part out anything else though.

Need to start getting funds together to buy a PCI-E 3.0 test bench. Have things in the works to start going pro.

That's a clean install breh :salute:

I'm ordering an Intel BX80637I33220 Core i3-3220 Processor - Dual Core, 3MB L3 Cache, 3.30GHz, Socket H2 (LGA1155), 55W, 650-1050 MHz, Fan for $115 w/ Econoship S/H on TigerDirect (thanks v), which is free. But when I goto "Review and Place Order" it shows up as Ground shipping with no option for Econo Shipping, which I selected. Contacting a rep right now...

It's my final part to buy, so trying to get this resolved ASAP.

EDIT: And done. Shipping is to residential addresses only, I had to change the line of the Apt. number. :D

Pictures of everything incoming next week!

kakashi08

I have an old build from 2008.

It has been working correctly, but when my computer is OFF, and i plug in a usb or anything in any port. the computer turns ON.

But if i keep my power supply switch OFF it stays off, but when i turn on the switch from the back the computer also turns on. and im not even pressing the power button.
Is it the power supply or some wiring that could gotten loose? lol

also ever since i installed windows 8, my computer freezes after a minute of use, and i always have to sign out and sign back in and it works fine afterwards. I think i should go back to windows 7.

These are my specs on this PC im talking about:
CPU: e8500
RAM: 4GB
MOBO: P5N-T deluxe ( i think it does not support windows 8, thats why it freezes?)
GPU: amd 4870

sixghost

I was looking at some benchmarks for Planetside 2, is it common for a game to be this much more optimized for either nVidia or AMD? It's disapointing that the nVidia card equivalent to the 7870 I bought gets 10-15 fps more on average.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I just got done ordering my last few parts. Which only leaves me with the OS software. Is $100 the minimum I should expect to pay for a window 7 copy?

hwalker84

Jet upgraded from a GTX 280 to a GTX 670 holy crap at the difference with my old pc. Can't wait till I build the new one in a month. Going to get a second GTX 670 along with some other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom