• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some benchmarks for Planetside 2, is it common for a game to be this much more optimized for either nVidia or AMD? It's disapointing that the nVidia card equivalent to the 7870 I bought gets 10-15 fps more on average.

It happens from time to time and it's usually in nVidia's favor. Often, a later patch or driver update will even things out but it's never a guarantee.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was looking at some benchmarks for Planetside 2, is it common for a game to be this much more optimized for either nVidia or AMD? It's disapointing that the nVidia card equivalent to the 7870 I bought gets 10-15 fps more on average.
Not uncommon for all pc's in a studio to be running nvidia. PS2 released unfinished so I'm not that surprised.

Edgeward

Can someone recommend me a case that will fit a 7950? Somewhere at 100 and under? Just got my 7950 but it turns out to be too big by just a few inches. So mad right now.

Would like it to be big and cable friendly since I am terrible at cable management and want good airflow. Small form factor is not a concern at all

ccbfan

Hmm just installed my 7850 and I'm noticing an issue.

When I plug in with HDMI/DVI the black text looks greenish but the games graphics look awesome.

but when I plug in with VGA, the black text look great but the games seen to have stuttering or scanlines or whatever its called.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm finishing up purchasing everything. I got the cheaper motherboard but still have to order the sound card. I just saw that there is a new Xonar Phoebus card out.

I was going to get the Asus Xonar STX but saw some people say the ST is better. Also how about the Phoebus?

I'll be Gaming 45% Watching Videos 30% and listening to music 25% of the time

I believe I'm going to get the Swan MK III's which is why I'm fine with the

I've been using a Z-5500 for a long time, but I think a stereo setup would make more sense with how my desk is laid out.

Going by newegg, you'd be able to go for a 650 Ti, which is better than a 7770.

So i sent my dad a link to that card on newegg asking for it for xmas. He called me tonight and told me it showed up and to come over to get it. Best November 27th xmas ever.

It came with a copy of AC3 as well. I ran some framerate tests against my old card (amd 6750) and I'm getting some very solid results. Usually atleast 15 fps, but some games as much as 80fps more (hard reset - maxed, with vsync off).

Very happy. Thank you for the suggestion. <3 knowledgeable pc gaf.

How long until I can expect the launch of new nvidia cards? I might try and get a 680 gifted to me for Christmas, but I can wait awhile longer if there's anything on the horizon. I will be replacing CFX 5870s.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

That's some pretty shit results across the board..

hwalker84

How long until I can expect the launch of new nvidia cards? I might try and get a 680 gifted to me for Christmas, but I can wait awhile longer if there's anything on the horizon. I will be replacing CFX 5870s.

I think March/April. I couldn't wait any longer. Decided that two 670's should last me awhile.

ATF487

Awesome, just went and reserved the i5 3570k and ASRock Z77 Pro4 at Microcenter, came to $254.98. Also bought the Kingston ram on sale for 40 bucks.

Chase gave me 240 dollars because they overcharged me a few years back for this service I never used, so I might be able to build this entire rig for under 600 dollars net, including this monitor I bought for 160.

Question... Are the western digital black hard drives worth the extra cash? Any recommendations for a high performance standard drive (non-SSD)? I'm looking to get up to 2TB per drive.

Awesome, just went and reserved the i5 3570k and ASRock Z77 Pro4 at Microcenter, came to $254.98. Also bought the Kingston ram on sale for 40 bucks.

Chase gave me 240 dollars because they overcharged me a few years back for this service I never used, so I might be able to build this entire rig for under 600 dollars net, including this monitor I bought for 160.
Nice. The Microcenter near me just ran out of stock for the i5 3570k. Now I have to wait until they get more in. I hope the deal doesn't run out soon.

scogoth

Question... Are the western digital black hard drives worth the extra cash? Any recommendations for a high performance standard drive (non-SSD)? I'm looking to get up to 2TB per drive.

2TB + SSD. Regular HDD isnt even in the same league for performance, even the cheapest, slowest SSDs are a couple orders of magniude faster.

As for your question the black are good but very very noisy.

2TB + SSD. Regular HDD isnt even in the same league for performance, even the cheapest, slowest SSDs are a couple orders of magniude faster.

As for your question the black are good but very very noisy.
No doubt. I'm well aware of the performance difference between mechanical drives and SSDs. I'm just not ready to completely revamp my system yet. This time next year I will build a new rigg with SSD and GTX780/Radeon 8870.

Right now... I just need one or two massive high reliability hard drive to house high bit rate 1080p videos and 18MP images of my baby boy.

NervousXtian

Alright, which 7950 should I buy... ready to finish this thing up.

Just need the vid card, HD, and cpu.

I'm not going SSD right now, just 7200rpm 1tb.. rather keep the 100bucks and see if prices drop in the future more on SSD.

Was hoping to grab a reduced 3570k over the weekend to no avail, no MC by me.. so I'll just grab it at $219 unless someone anticipates a drop soon.

But, I want to spend around $300 for the video card.. guide me GAF.

Already bought:

MB ASROCK|Z77 EXTREME3 Z77 1155 R
MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Bitfenix Survivor White ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CX Series CX500 500W ATX 12V (yeah, someone scolded me for this, but price was right)

Other thing, worth going for the H60 over the 212EVO for cooling the chip?

scogoth

No doubt. I'm well aware of the performance difference between mechanical drives and SSDs. I'm just not ready to completely revamp my system yet. This time next year I will build a new rigg with SSD and GTX780/Radeon 8870.

Right now... I just need one or two massive high reliability hard drive to house high bit rate 1080p videos and 18MP images of my baby boy.
caviar black will do for that. Just know that if they are directly screwed to the case there will be vibration noise. So next year buy a case that has rubber mounts of some sort

I'm not going SSD right now, just 7200rpm 1tb.. rather keep the 100bucks and see if prices drop in the future more on SSD.

Was hoping to grab a reduced 3570k over the weekend to no avail, no MC by me.. so I'll just grab it at $219 unless someone anticipates a drop soon.

Already bought:

Corsair CX Series CX500 500W ATX 12V (yeah, someone scolded me for this, but price was right)

Not sure about the video card but I strongly suggest you reconsider the SSD. At the very least have a SSD boot drive (30-60GB). You will thank yourself every time you boot up your new system. And every time you start programs installed on the SSD.

Small capacity SSDs can be had for cheap... Around $50 like this one:
http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16820226247

caviar black will do for that. Just know that if they are directly screwed to the case there will be vibration noise. So next year buy a case that has rubber mounts of some sort
Awesome. Thank you.

And my case already has rubber mounts for all drives! I didn't go cheap in my previous build . ;)

Edgeward

Cool, ordered one. Wasn't planning on moving to a new case, but not much I can do now. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time this year I had to lift all my parts to another case. Good for practicing I guess.

58 remaining

Believe it is 290mm of space, so yes.
Can you remove your HDD bracket in your current case. Or dremel some room?

Can't remove the bracket and not really wanting to dremel since it would have to mean taking everything out anyway before doing it so I might as well get something new and ready for such a big piece. And I really need a case with more room for cables too. Going modular PSUs from now on, another lesson learned.

Some pics on my new PC, I think I got the cooling part covered lol.

FA9360ED-AB95-490D-AFA9-BD90B5B25CF8-2339-000003488816A5AF.jpg

AA6CF072-9978-4FEB-8350-C7C658481D88-2339-0000034882ECFA0A.jpg

2AFD9CAF-FB9B-4A90-9A2C-2DABCF82410D-2339-000003487D780F66.jpg

DocSeuss

My Steam hard drive (1TB) is death-clicking. I need a replacement. Any particular 1TB or larger replacements to use, if possible from Best Buy (I have a gift card, and I can't afford to purchase a hard drive any other way at this stage, due to a recent financial crisis at home putting us in a really bad situation)?

For now, I've unplugged it. When I do transfer stuff, should I do it all in one go?

Woohoo, ordered my 7950 yesterday (was waiting for an Aussie site to confirm they had stock of the AMD never settle bundle) and it came today along with those 3 games.
I went with the gigabyte windforce 7950 and it sure is a bit longer than my old 6850, but it fits (rather snuggly).
For others looking to get these games just email and confirm with the shop that they have them or whether they will get them, being in Australia I thought I'd have to wait till next year but I found an online retailer that claimed they were getting some in soon and they actually came through (pccasegear for any aussies looking to get in on it). Only downside is farcry is a ubisoft key not a steam key but I'll survive.

Now all I need to do is wait for the crappy uplay store to update my games list so I can start downloading Farcry3, in the past it's taken up to a week but I'm hopeful they have 'improved' on this. In the meantime I'm installing RAGE only 12gb to go, I should really be preparing for my language exam on Friday which is partly why I chose such a huge game to test out my new card on. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Edit: I just ran a quick furmark burn in test to check out the temps on this card and noticed a whining sound coming from my pc... does anyone have any experience with this phenomenon? Just adding I'm not too concerned after googling this a bit they seem to call it coil whine or capacitor whine, but for me it only happens when I run that test or a game without v-sync. A little concerning though I hope it doesn't mean that there's a part on the card getting ready to explode (cause that what it sorta sounds like).

Addnan

Probably a simple question, but I need to buy a HDD for a old computer it only has sata 2 ports would a hdd with sata 3 work?

iavi

Dammit. I wish I waited.

I just bought a Corsair 550D for $128 once all is said and done. I'm sure I'll love the thing once it gets here, but I am kicking myself in the ass for missing this one. I thought all hope was lost once the deal faded from NCIX, lol.

Don't be me, guys.

Chesskid1

Banned
received my SSD and moved everything over.

yeah, you can notice the gains in some applications and heavy multitasking, boot up (who turns off computer?) but not a huge difference people make it out to be. it is still rather nice, however.

they are almost like $50 for 120gb, and thats like nothing, so hard to NOT recommend one, even if the gains are rather small (saving seconds opening shit) it adds up i suppose.

i look forward to an all SSD future, with very good longevity.

edit: to be fair ive only been on my SSD for like 4 hrs, after like 6 hrs of transferring and setting up crap (ugh, that 100mb system reserved partition), so yeah, might not be in the right mindset :p

received my SSD and moved everything over.

yeah, you can notice the gains in some applications and heavy multitasking, boot up (who turns off computer?) but not a huge difference people make it out to be. it is still rather nice, however.

they are almost like $50 for 120gb, and thats like nothing, so hard to NOT recommend one, even if the gains are rather small (saving seconds opening shit) it adds up i suppose.

i look forward to an all SSD future, with very good longevity.

Is this really how you feel? Not all SSDs are created equally. Mine was rather slow before I made it take use of the 6 Gig transfer speed in bios.

Also you said you moved everything over? You cloned your OS? Shouldn't you be doing a clean Win 7/8 install to get maximum gains?

For me, the difference in everything was enormous with an SSD. it was not just opening windows faster, but just everything your doing. accessing, searching, running, copying etc.

Im wondering how much slower Apples fusion Drives will be. The idea (like a more extreme version of Momentus XT) is good. I like how they went for a lot more than mere 4 Gig of SSD.

Salsa

SSD has been somewhat disappointing in the games department for me so far. I dont know if its games having load screens of a minimum lenght to fit whatever animation shows/whatever, but the only game where ive really noticed faster load times is entering a Battlefield 3 match.

Its been fantastic and worth it alone for the boot times though. I never EVER turned off my PC before but now I finding myself doing overnight (if I have nothing to download) since it boots up so fast.

Prozel

My experience with SSD has been amazing so far, and I'm running a OCZ Agillity 3 with no problems.

A came from a WD Green drive though, yes it was the system drive.

Waiting on my CPU and GPU to finish off my gaming rig. It's built, just waiting for those final two components to arrive; it should be today, but Amazon have sent it through Royal Mail and there's no tracking number, which is incredibly annoying. I just need to tidy up the cables and it should be good to go. This thread has been a great help in getting me up to speed, so I tip my hat to Hazaro; truly excellent work.

Also, I bought a cheap OCZ Agility 3 (120gb) a few months back, and it's been great. Not had any problems with it so far. The difference it makes when running an OS off of it is astounding.

kennah

Im wondering how much slower Apples fusion Drives will be. The idea (like a more extreme version of Momentus XT) is good. I like how they went for a lot more than mere 4 Gig of SSD.

I read a really neat article about it (that I can't find now) about the fusion drives. It doesn't operate as a cache at all, closer to a raid. Starting with two physically separate drives, Fusion adds the two capacities together and keeps EVERYTHING on the SSD until it is full. Then it operates similar to time machine, moving over things that are least used first. This is all done at an OS level instead of at a hardware level. Allows for more specific targeting of the files used. Then if those files are accessed a few times, then it will plonk them back on the SSD.

EDIT: I left out that all writes are done to the SSD first, and then moved later.

Darte

Jeez, I just literally saw a Samsung 830 SSD pop up on newegg and it became out of stock in a few minutes. Luckily I managed to snag one before they went out.

NervousXtian

Already bought:

Anyone on this? I'm lost on which to choose.

hwalker84

I haven't built a PC in quite some time.

A family member works for Intel so I'll be getting the 3970x w/ Mobo & 480GB SSD for more than 1/2 off.

I have a GTX 670 and plan on getting a second for SLI
I'll be picking up a 3TB Hard Drive for D:
Probably getting 16-32GB of RAM

I need suggestions on a power supply, Extremely simple no frills case, burner, and other extras (CPU cooler, case fans, thermal paste(is this still even used?)). Keep in mind noise as this PC is in the main bedroom.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Some pics on my new PC, I think I got the cooling part covered lol.
What case is that? Your build looks really similar to mine, same cpu cooler, bitfenix shenobi case though your gfx card looks different. Either way, looks like a job well done, congrats.

kitch9

Banned
A low priced Intel would be better for gaming. Either a Pentium or an i3.
Later in the review you can see numbers that matter like for how long the frame rate was less than 60fps.
skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Skyrim is a single threaded mess though..... There's always going to be anomolies like that title.

We need to pray AMD provide a decent desktop CPU as Intel are pulling out of the market it appears....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom