• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKT

Well shit, my CM Quickfire Pro left Alt key just died. I guess that should teach me to buy a cheap 60$ mechanical keyboard. The worst is that after some research, it seems that I'm not the only one with the issue. I'll try to get a Filco or something good next time...

Back to this rubber-dome monstrosity.

Tenck

Oh well, it would seem my i5 3570k and Gigabyte GTX 670 have been lost in the mail,
or to be more accurate, stolen.
At least Amazon have decided to resend them via a proper courier service and not Royal Mail, thank god, which means I now have a tracking number. I still can't understand why they sent nearly £500 worth of gear through Royal Mail with no tracking number.

Hopefully, I should have them by Thursday, but this whole experience has been incredibly frustrating, I just want to finish off building my PC.

Looks like we waited about the same time lol. I have my PC arriving on Wednesday if all goes right :D

garath

Well shit, my CM Quickfire Pro left Alt key just died. I guess that should teach me to buy a cheap 60$ mechanical keyboard. The worst is that after some research, it seems that I'm not the only one with the issue. I'll try to get a Filco or something good next time...

Back to this rubber-dome monstrosity.

ouch :( I've heard good things about the CM Quickfires. I was tempted to pick one up because the price was so good.

Petrie

Banned
Have you tried both the motherboard and the video card after a full restart? As in, plug it into the mobo output, restart. If no video, plug it into the videocard output, restart. If this is not working, try going into BIOS with the SB chip in there and disabling onboard video. Then put the IVB chip back in there and try booting with video out from the videocard.

Yeah, they're made for high end watercoolers. Both Caselabs and Little Devil. For a similar high end chassis meant for more standard systems (as in, you don't need space for 3 radiators), Lian Li is where it's at.

I've messed with every setting I see and can't get it to display from the new video card. :(

Uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers since I'm switching to an AMD card. This is such a PITA.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah, they're made for high end watercoolers. Both Caselabs and Little Devil. For a similar high end chassis meant for more standard systems (as in, you don't need space for 3 radiators), Lian Li is where it's at.

Well I'm screwed... looks like I fell in love with Caselabs. I'm going to spend a bit more than I thought I was going to on a case. I kind of wish I didn't find out about these guys. Reading all these reviews has me hyped up about this company. Hopefully they'll release a new model near the end of 2013.

A lot of people are saying to go ahead and build now, but I figure since I'm coming back to the states in March that waiting another year for NVIDIA's new architecture to hit. That way I get a next gen graphics card to run "next gen" console games a bit smoother. Until then I have my Asus laptop and this thread to live vicariously through everyone else.

mkenyon

Banned
That, that price was tooooo good. Something was fishy.
Really strange. I'll talk to the CM Rep about this, possible firmware fix maybe. Have 7 of these keyboards between teammates and myself and no one has had similar issues, but I am seeing it quite a bit online like you said.

Salsa

called hardware store and told them about my 212 evo fan issues. They told they'd change it free of charge but it would take a couple days and whatnot and uhhhhhhhhh

i'll just buy a Thermaltake Silent Cat and stick it in there methinks. They're like 12 bucks

mkenyon

Banned
Salsa, there is only one other person I know of in all of PC building that has more issues than you. I can't believe that you still stick to it. One day, when parts can start coming in without getting pulled by customs, we're gonna set you up right. Good on you for still battling through the BS.

Salsa

1341010052817.jpg

I still love it

Do I need to uninstall the drivers for my onboard HD2500 graphics before or after I plug in the new graphics card? Or do I need not bother?

kharma45

Guys, which one is better, the 2500K or the 3750K? What's the difference?

3570K is about 10% faster clock for clock, and also offers some stuff like PCIe 3 too (not that it's needed right now).

Get the 3570K providing the price gap isn't huge.

Do I need to uninstall the drivers for my onboard HD2500 graphics before or after I plug in the new graphics card? Or do I need not bother?

You should just be good to go.

DTKT

Right, so after some more digging, here is the lowdown on the situation from CM themselves. Gotta love Google for finding random info across the internet.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1102940/cm-storm-quick-fire-rapid/880#post_18686830

Unfortunately, there was a very small concentrated batch Costar apparently had issues with left ALT. All issues have been fixed and it will not happen on any further board. We are able to track down the exact order these came in on, unfortunately it affects Blue, Red & Brown switches but in a very limited fashion. Also its impossible to recall the whole shipment because only about 1 out of 20 boards suffer the issue.
Please understand this was something we didnt catch, but do apologize, and assure you we have tightened up QC BIG time on our Costar boards.

I guess I just had a bad board. To be honest, that's exactly what a company should do. If I had not found that post, I would have never bought a CM keyboard again. Now, I can at least rest easy if CM is on the ball and are aware of the situation.

But still for now, I'd abstain from a CM Quickfire keyboard till the defective stock is fully spent and they have new keyboards in.

DagsJT

I think I'm close to my final build. I'm selling my current base unit to a friend but taking some bits with me. On my "to-buy" list I'm thinking:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

XFX Pro 750W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black - with FREE Corsair Dual Pack AF120 Performance Fans

Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1156/LGA1155/LGA1366)

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

I already have a 7950 GPU, Xonar DG soundcard and an SSD. Are the system board, PSU and cooler all good or something better for the same price?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Barring any further set backs, I should begin building the pc tonight. Any rookie pitfalls I should look out for?

Barring any further set backs, I should begin building the pc tonight. Any rookie pitfalls I should look out for?

• Be sure to put the risers/standoffs in before you mount your motherboard.
  • Double and triple check every cable that needs to be plugged in is plugged in, in the event it doesn't boot the first time.
  • Relax and enjoy yourself.

sixghost

I built my first PC 4-5 days ago, here goes:
-grab a laptop or tablet or something and load up one of the build videos in the OP. This was invaluable for me.
-don't be afraid to apply some force to get stuff in. I had a really tough time getting my CPU and RAM in because I thought I was going to break it.
-keep all the cables in or near the box they came in. Or just organize them somehow so you know which part they came with.
-keep a laptop nearby to google any problems you might have. Lots of the problems I ran into or questions I had were solved by googling it.
-Definitely test if if thing will post once the mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and gpu are hooked up.
-Make sure you have a big block of time. Like 4-5 hours.

DTKT

Read the manuals.
Ground Yourself before you wreck yourself.
Read the manuals again.
Every screw, washer, random bits and pieces should go in different bowls to easily sort and find them.
Figure out how stuff fits before putting it inside the case.
Seating RAM can take a surprising amount of force. Just make sure it actually "clips".

And the best advice of all, go slowly and double check every move. If you aren't sure of something, it's not worth to try and just crash. Ask question and be careful.
Thread is here to help. :D

NoRéN

Read the manuals.
Read the manuals again.
Every screw, washer, random bits and pieces should go in different bowls to easily sort and find them.
Seating RAM can take a surprising amount of force. Just make sure it actually "clips".

And the best advice of all, go slowly and double check every move. If you aren't sure of something, it's not worth to try and just crash. Ask question and be careful.

good idea to buy an anti static wrist strap?

Petrie

Banned
How do you downsample on a Nvidia card? I saw it in a thread but forgot which one.

So the new AMD GPU works with my Sandy Bridge CPU, but not the ivy. Any idea why this could be happening?

Yahoo answers says it could be my PSU, but it's a 600W OCZ and it easily clears the power consumption needs I'm told for this combination.

DTKT

NoRéN;45030829 said:
good idea to buy an anti static wrist strap?

It's pretty cheap and it's one less risk to consider. I mean, the chances to actually destroy your build are pretty slim. You'd have to be wearing a wool T-shirt and constantly rolling around on a wool carpet to actually build a really strong static charge.

I usually just discharge myself by touching a piece of metal that's grounded.

Hard to say if it's effective but better safe than sorry.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
  • Be sure to put the risers/standoffs in before you mount your motherboard.
  • Double and triple check every cable that needs to be plugged in is plugged in, in the event it doesn't boot the first time.
  • Relax and enjoy yourself.

I built my first PC 4-5 days ago, here goes:
-grab a laptop or tablet or something and load up one of the build videos in the OP. This was invaluable for me.
-don't be afraid to apply some force to get stuff in. I had a really tough time getting my CPU and RAM in because I thought I was going to break it.
-keep all the cables in or near the box they came in. Or just organize them somehow so you know which part they came with.
-keep a laptop nearby to google any problems you might have. Lots of the problems I ran into or questions I had were solved by googling it.
-Definitely test if if thing will post once the mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and gpu are hooked up.
-Make sure you have a big block of time. Like 4-5 hours.

Read the manuals.
Read the manuals again.

Thanks a lot for the solid advice guys! Looking forward, and excited to build it.

mkenyon

Banned
I think I'm close to my final build. I'm selling my current base unit to a friend but taking some bits with me. On my "to-buy" list I'm thinking:

I already have a 7950 GPU, Xonar DG soundcard and an SSD. Are the system board, PSU and cooler all good or something better for the same price?
Macho likely won't give you speeds that can be hit with the CM212+/Xigmatek Gaia. IVB sips power, and when you hit the thermal/voltage wall, no amount of aluminum and copper will keep it cool.

You could easily drop down to a 550W PSU.

If you are interested in clocking your RAM at or around 2133, check out the Samsung 30nm RAM or Crucial's new 30nm RAM.

NoRéN

It's pretty cheap and it's one less risk to consider. I mean, the chances to actually destroy your build are pretty slim. You'd have to be wearing a wool T-shirt and constantly rolling around on a wool carpet to actually build a really strong static charge.

I usually just discharge myself by touching a piece of metal that's grounded.

Hard to say if it's effective but better safe than sorry.
Thank you. Just bought one off amazon.

Follow up: I my place has carpet. Should I build in the kitchen that has floor or am I good with shoes on?
Thanks a lot for the solid advice guys! Looking forward, and excited to build it.

Fuck that! I wish I was excited. I'm nervous!

DagsJT

Macho likely won't give you speeds that can be hit with the CM212+/Xigmatek Gaia. IVB sips power, and when you hit the thermal/voltage wall, no amount of aluminum and copper will keep it cool.

You could easily drop down to a 550W PSU.

If you are interested in clocking your RAM at or around 2133, check out the Samsung 30nm RAM or Crucial's new 30nm RAM.

I'll look into those coolers, thanks.

The reason behind the PSU is future-proofing and the possibility of SLI or Crossfire really.

Never really thought about clocking RAM but I'll check those out too. Thanks for the input.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, power use is going down, not up. I'd actually suggest something modular over it. It makes building so much eaiser. The XFX Core is a great unit though if you want to keep it in there.

DTKT

NoRéN;45031168 said:

Follow up: I my place has carpet. Should I build in the kitchen that has floor or am I good with shoes on?

I'd try to avoid carpet if you have something else you can use. I mean, I don't want to create a boogieman out of static but it's just a pretty bad thing if it happens. It's quite easy to prevent and I would be quite cross with myself if it happened because I was just lazy with such simple things.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NoRéN;45031168 said:

Lol, part of me is nervous. I'm just reading, and re-reading, different guides. As well as watching as much video as possible.

DagsJT

Well, power use is going down, not up. I'd actually suggest something modular over it. It makes building so much eaiser. The XFX Core is a great unit though if you want to keep it in there.

I do actually want a modular PSU but the site I'm ordering from (Overclockers UK) doesn't have the modular XFX in stock.

Good point about the power usage though. Dropping to 550w would also save some money, which is also pretty handy as I'm trying to keep prices down but still get decent equipment.

Any other good suggestions for a modular 550w PSU?

sixghost

Lol, part of me is nervous. I'm just reading, and re-reading, different guides. As well as watching as much video as possible.
On the bright side, once you finish your first build, you'll be much more confident when you have to replace stuff, or do it all again. It took me almost 10 hours, but I'm sure I could do it in a fraction of that now.

Petrie

Banned
So the new AMD GPU works with my Sandy Bridge CPU, but not the ivy. Any idea why this could be happening?

Yahoo answers says it could be my PSU, but it's a 600W OCZ and it easily clears the power consumption needs I'm told for this combination.

Reposting for the new page.

Does the 3750k take so much more power than the 2500k that neither my GTX460 or 7850 should work, or is something else likely amiss?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
On the bright side, once you finish your first build, you'll be much more confident when you have to replace stuff, or do it all again. It took me almost 10 hours, but I'm sure I could do it in a fraction of that now.

Awesome. I'm sure it will take me awhile as well. I want to take my time, and get everything correctly.

Quick question, is it a recommended to do an external build first, to make sure everything is fine, before putting it in the case?

theytookourjobz

Just got a new laptop. Nothing special, just something for school, but good lord Windows 8 is awful. Maybe I just need to give it some time and get used to it but the app start menu is really weird.

Hi guys I'm in the process of building an HTPC. The case I'm using only supports low-profile cards and I'm needing a bluetooth and WiFi pci-e card in there.

Originally I was looking at the Gigabyte GC-WB300D but it's only a standard height card. On having a closer look at the card I saw that it was essentially a pci-e - mini pci-e adaptor and a mini pci-e wifi and bluetooth card.

This got me thinking maybe I could get an adapter seperately and pair it up with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 or something similar.

I was looking at this http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2H.html but it's a bit expensive when I take into account the cost of the 6235, shipping and any taxes I may be hit with when it reaches these shores. (I'm in Scotland, UK BTW)

So if anyone knows of anything similar that I can source locally or is just plain cheaper I'd greatly appreciate it.

Even a pci-e card that does the same but in low-profile form factor. Been googling for a while now and it's doing my head in! LOL

Also not wanting to use the USB ports for this task.

Thanks

mkenyon

Banned
I do actually want a modular PSU but the site I'm ordering from (Overclockers UK) doesn't have the modular XFX in stock.

Good point about the power usage though. Dropping to 550w would also save some money, which is also pretty handy as I'm trying to keep prices down but still get decent equipment.

Any other good suggestions for a modular 550w PSU?
Here ya go.

XFX Cores are rebranded Seasonics.
Reposting for the new page.

Does the 3750k take so much more power than the 2500k that neither my GTX460 or 7850 should work, or is something else likely amiss?
Uses less power. I wouldn't even know where to start with your system. I'd basically start by reseating/plugging everything to make sure it's all gravy.

NoRéN

I'd try to avoid carpet if you have something else you can use. I mean, I don't want to create a boogieman out of static but it's just a pretty bad thing if it happens. It's quite easy to prevent and I would be quite cross with myself if it happened because I was just lazy with such simple things.
Nah, I understand. Thanks for the advice

Same here. I've been watching the videos in the OP over and over.

Part of me feels really stupid, like I'm really overthinking this. I feel like the expert builders in this thread must see my posts and be all like "Please! I build my PCs while naked in 30 minutes tops".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got a question--I just bought a new PC but need to put my GTX 460 video card in. Should I boot up the system for the first time BEFORE switching the card, or should I take out the card included and put in the 460 before the first boot up?

Random question: would slowdown via web browser scripts be a reason to upgrade, or is that something irrespective of CPU? (I know Flash slows down even the fastest of them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom