• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

OCZ have had a bad rep with their SSD drives, but the Vector looks like their response with a much longer development time and better testing. Doesn't it have a 5 year warrenty as well?

I'm no SSD expert, but I think the Vector is ok.

Yeah, I believe the Vertex series is the one with the terrible reviews.

However, if they can afford it, they should get the 840 Pro.

Ty4on

NoRéN;45782954 said:
Yeah, I believe the Vertex series is the one with the terrible reviews.

However, if they can afford it, they should get the 840 Pro.

MSRP is the same for 840 Pro and Vector.

Moegames

Banned
NoRéN;45757956 said:
Damn, 500gb isn't enough for you?

I can uninstall Steam games and re-install later, right? I'm getting a little worried my 256gb ssd might get filled up soon.

I play a lot of pc games ... my 250gb HDD is good enough for me..i have a spare 500gb hdd sitting in the closet ..i got it on a killer sale so i bought it a few days ago..but i just built a new system about a week ago and do not feel like having to reinstall windows,etc...so i am just going to keep using the 250gb like i did with my older system i just replaced which also has a 250gb hdd in it... some people like to install all their games at once... i cant do that because it seems i never finish any games that way..so i install up to 5 or 10 games at the very most at a time....play those until i beat them...uninstall them and move on to the next bunch of games.

If i ever need more space..i'll just add the 500gb as a secondary drive in my current setup...but i usually never use more than what my 250gb hdd provides

NoRéN

I play a lot of pc games ... my 250gb HDD is good enough for me..i have a spare 500gb hdd sitting in the closet ..i got it on a killer sale so i bought it a few days ago..but i just built a new system about a week ago...so i am just going to keep using the 250gb like i did with my older system i just replaced which also has a 250gb hdd in it... some people like to install all their games at once... i cant do that because it seems i never finish any games that way..so i install up to 5 or 10 games at the very most at a time....play those until i beat them...uninstall them and move on to the next bunch of games.

Sounds like me. I was just worried I couldn't reinstall games or something. Thanks for the reply.

hwalker84

Steam question if anyone knows. I have steam on a separate hard drive can I just pop that in my new build install steam in the same location and be off an running again?

Ty4on

What new start menu?

It hasn't gotten a start menu. When you press the windows button you go to the "metro" interface (I will never stop calling it metro) where you can launch apps and write to search for things. You have tabletlike metro apps and desktop is kinda like its own app, by pressing win+tab you can cycle through metro apps or you can go to the top left corner, pull the mouse down (you'll see a small window up there) and see all active metro apps.

I actually kinda like it, I'm finally reading my mail because it's right there in MS' own mail app and searching for stuff is pretty easy (go to files or press win+f to search for all files). Some stuff are a little strange like you have to pull out the charms menu (top right corner, pull down) and go to power to shut the computer down or put it to sleep.

Call me shallow, but I like that there is finally a Windows that doesn't look like an updated Win95.

Argyle

So I've got a question about the whole Displayport/Eyefinity function, specifically on a 6950 2GB Dirt3.

I want to have 3 monitors hooked up to it at once, it has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 Displayport slots on it. DVI+DVI+HDMI results in it telling me I have to deactivate one of the monitors to get the 3rd to work. Apparently this is because I need to hook one of them up with a displayport adapter.

Now there seems to be a big difference in the types of displayport adapters available, so I was wondering what kind I actually need. In googling around about it, the "active" variant seems to be the one people say you need, but they are about $25 more expensive than the regular ones so I wanted to make sure that's what I want.

Yes, you need an active DisplayPort adapter IIRC. The limitation is something to do with the way that the video is output over DVI vs. DP, the ATI cards only have 2 transmitters that can output over DVI/HDMI at once. My understanding is that native DP uses different hardware to output video and if you use a passive DP adapter it kicks the DP into using the same transmitting hardware as the normal DVI/HDMI ports (which means you have the same problem) whereas the active adapter converts the native DP signal into DVI so you can still use two other DVI/HDMI ports at the same time.

So after some heavy researching, I think this is going to be my final build. But I'd like you guys to give it a quick look, so I can be sure that I won't be making some huge mistakes :)

I have to mention that I do a lot of video editing, motion graphics in After Effects and I'm slowly picking up on my 3D skills. I run a small video production company, so this PC will be mostly used for that; but I'd like it to be able to run BF3 smoothly, just for those slow work days!

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.2GHZ FC-LGA4, "Sandy Bridge E" (€539,-)
Cooler: Noctua NH-DH14 (€86,90)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX (€220,-)
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R7950WF3-3GD (€289,-)
PSU: Corsair TX650M (€97,90)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White (€94,90)
SSD: Crucial M4 512GB (€379,-)
HDD: WD 1TB Black (€86,90)
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Vengeance Low Profile Quad-kit (€81,90)
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray BH10LS38 (€74,90)

(Dutch prices)

Total damage: €2060,90. But because it will be a company PC, I can deduct that taxes. So the total price will be close to €1700,-.

So, anybody any advise?

I don't have any advice for you, but I am looking to build a very similar PC for myself in the next week or so (for programming/game development)...so I am also curious to hear what other people think.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best case/PSU would be (quiet and stability are important to me), also trying to decide if I want a single large HDD or if I want to RAID some drives together. I think I'm only going to need 1TB of space on the physical HDD...

What new start menu?

The metro stuff.

Its pretty much a new fancy start menu to me.

I actually kinda like it, I'm finally reading my mail because it's right there in MS' own mail app and searching for stuff is pretty easy (go to files or press win+f to search for all files).

I use the "instant search while typing" version of the searching (although thats just for programs/apps and windows settings)

Actually the bolded are mainly the things i do in metro (email mostly, search occasionally) otherwise its just old school desktop all the way.

theytookourjobz

It hasn't gotten a start menu. When you press the windows button you go to the "metro" interface (I will never stop calling it metro) where you can launch apps and write to search for things. You have tabletlike metro apps and desktop is kinda like its own app, by pressing win+tab you can cycle through metro apps or you can go to the top left corner, pull the mouse down (you'll see a small window up there) and see all active metro apps.

I actually kinda like it, I'm finally reading my mail because it's right there in MS' own mail app and searching for stuff is pretty easy (go to files or press win+f to search for all files). Some stuff are a little strange like you have to pull out the charms menu (top right corner, pull down) and go to power to shut the computer down or put it to sleep.

Call me shallow, but I like that there is finally a Windows that doesn't look like an updated Win95.

Yeah, I was just being an ass. I bought a W8 laptop and had to return it because I disliked it so much. I needs my damn start menu.

Sanic

I have another question, this time performance related.

Is there any reason I should be getting 25-40 fps in Saints Row 3 with a 660ti? At first I thought I was being cpu limited, but setting everything to low bumps me up to 40-60...which is still low.

Exuro

Got Mr. Noisy's case in!

Woohoo!
ibdxz38UoeplTD.jpg

My little brother's current set up. His case(Don't know the name/brand) is pretty terrible. USB's in the front slip when getting plugged into, have to push the video card down in the back so the hdmi port isn't covered, just a lot of small issues that are annoying to deal with.
iDxkkBjiPSFhv.jpg

Made him do some of the work.
ib2dSD7Js2ghXz.jpg

Basically done. Could do some zipties to make it look nicer but ehh.
ib0FHnSBrp5TtI.jpg

New setup.
ibn1YzImm8K5Jl.jpg

There was only one issue, which was that he only has 2 fan ports on his mobo and no molex adapters so we only have 3 plugged in currently. Going to get a few adapters to get the others working. Even without them though, the case was a breeze to set up. Love that the drives are put in sideways with the inputs on the backside of the case to reduce messy cables. Really fun to build with my bro. Only thing I had trouble with was trying to line up the cables on the back side of the case and refitting the door on, but eventually I got it organized and its snug.

So after some heavy researching, I think this is going to be my final build. But I'd like you guys to give it a quick look, so I can be sure that I won't be making some huge mistakes :)

I have to mention that I do a lot of video editing, motion graphics in After Effects and I'm slowly picking up on my 3D skills. I run a small video production company, so this PC will be mostly used for that; but I'd like it to be able to run BF3 smoothly, just for those slow work days!

(Dutch prices)

Total damage: €2060,90. But because it will be a company PC, I can deduct that taxes. So the total price will be close to €1700,-.

So, anybody any advise?

I'm actually in the process of putting together a similar build for CS6/Avid. You'll probably want to go with an nvidia gpu for cuda hardware acceleration in after effects, it's a feature that is only possible on nvidia cards. The list of supported cards is quite low, but from my understanding there is a simple text file "hack" that you can enter to get after effects to recognize basically any nvidia gpu and then allow acceleration.

kharma45

I'm actually in the process of putting together a similar build for CS6/Avid. You'll probably want to go with an nvidia gpu for cuda hardware acceleration in after effects, it's a feature that is only possible on nvidia cards. The list of supported cards is quite low, but from my understanding there is a simple text file "hack" that you can enter to get after effects to recognize basically any nvidia gpu and then allow acceleration.

That surprised me, I thought all CS6 software supported OpenCL now but it seems After Effects is like the only one that doesn't.

Cheers, I also agree that the Corsair's look appealing but from the reviews they do both seem to fall short of the performance mark. The BitFenix didn't seem to do too well either.

Torn now between the Antec One which I have found for £37 at OCUK, which seems like a steal provided my 570 fits, and the Coolermaster you suggested. Bit pricier and I dislike the exterior, but quite a bit roomier on the inside ...

It's more expensive than these but the Corsair 400r is really nice too.

The CM 690 II comes in black but finding it at that money is hard.

Haha ok. So any insight if I should do the Gigabyte Windforce 3x version or the Sapphire Dual X version? people reported issues with the board bending on the Sapphire and whining. Should I take stock in this? I take it the 550 watt still works and how do I make sure these will fit into my prodigy.

I'd go Gigabyte out of those two. 550w is plenty for a single GPU.

Tobinishi

Ok, I'm completely new to PC Gaming and i'm planning to build my own machine (or upgrading my current setup) with help from a friend. Hopefully you can give me some tips and/or recommendations.

Your Current Specs: 2,4GHz Triple-Core AMD / 4GB RAM / 64bit Vista / Geforce G210
Budget: 700-1300€ all inc.; EU
Main Use: Gaming (5), Emulation (3), Video Editing+Recording (3) General Usage (5) (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: Current Resolution 1920x1080; new one possible if necessary
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Nothing special, but new releases should run on highest/high settings for the next 2-3 years;
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1TB SATA HDD, Optical drive (don't think a BR drive is really necessary?)
When will you build?: i havent set myself a specific timeframe
Will you be overclocking?: Absolutely no clue about overclocking atm, guess thats a maybe ;)
Wishes:SSD is a must, Sound isn't that important, because i usually play with a headset. 3D would be nice, but i guess pretty expensive.

I really appreciate every advice, tip, link or build. I tried to read the OP and the last pages, but its to much information for a beginner. It's hard to "get" the basics imo.

kharma45

Ok, I'm completely new to PC Gaming and i'm planning to build my own machine (or upgrading my current setup) with help from a friend. Hopefully you can give me some tips and/or recommendations.

Your Current Specs: 2,4GHz Triple-Core AMD / 4GB RAM / 64bit Vista / Geforce G210
Main Use: Gaming (5), Emulation (3), Video Editing+Recording (3) General Usage (5) (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Nothing special, but new releases should run on highest/high settings for the next 2-3 years;
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1TB SATA HDD, Optical drive (don't think a BR drive is really necessary?)
Will you be overclocking?: Absolutely no clue about overclocking atm, guess thats a maybe ;)
Wishes:SSD is a must, Sound isn't that important, because i usually play with a headset. 3D would be nice, but i guess pretty expensive.

I really appreciate every advice, tip, link or build. I tried to read the OP and the last pages, but its to much information for a beginner. It's hard to "get" the basics imo.

3570K paired with a Cooler Master Hyper 212, a Z77 mobo from the OP, a 7950 (either Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS or Sapphire) or a 660Ti if you must have Nvidia, XFX Core 550w PSU and 8GB of the Samsung 1.35v 30nm RAM.

That's the internals I'd go for myself, what program will you be using for video editing?

I recently bought a pre-built PC (a decision I regretted immediately), and I would like to go about some upgrades, specifically a better graphics card and processor. I'd like to be able to play most current games at high/max specs without breaking the bank, if at all possible. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Cheers.
O
Current specs:

Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD 7450
Processor - AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor
RAM - 10.0 GB

Get a 600w psu and a GTX670. ALTERNATIVELY, you could get a fx8350 down the road since your mb is am3+, but that's not needed right now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thoughts?

S0ZVo.png

Any potential bottlenecks? Considering doing 2 670 or 660 instead of the 1 680. Would combining the two be better? i7 still isn't really worth it for gaming, correct?

kharma45

Thoughts?

S0ZVo.png

Any potential bottlenecks? Considering doing 2 670 or 660 instead of the 1 680. Would combining the two be better? i7 still isn't really worth it for gaming, correct?

What resolution are you gaming at that you need a 4GB card? Go for a single 670 over the 680, the performance difference is minimal for what the price is http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

i5 is a good buy for gaming yeah. If you're just gaming drop the RAM to 8GB and get this stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

What about the Blu-ray drive too, going to use it enough to justify bothering to get it? What's your PSU/case situation like? Also I'd change your cooler too, Hyper 212 will be more than adequate at a lot less money.

Tobinishi

3570K paired with a Cooler Master Hyper 212, a Z77 mobo from the OP, a 7950 (either Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS or Sapphire) or a 660Ti if you must have Nvidia, XFX Core 550w PSU and 8GB of the Samsung 1.35v 30nm RAM.

That's the internals I'd go for myself, what program will you be using for video editing?

Atm i dont use a specific editing software. Its more for fun, so its not a really important factor. Do you recommend an AMD card over a Nvidia? Any special reason for that?

If i havent forgotten something, price would be under 1000€ inc. case and SSD which would be amazing. How good would BF3 for example run on this build?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my Dell Ultrasharp apparently kicked the bucket and is out of warranty.

I want another IPS to replace it, but monitors are pretty far from my strong suit. Not sure I want to gamble on one of those Korean IPS panels (what's the hassle is like if you get dead pixels? etc.), but I'm considering it.

What are some other options? I'd like something with good response time if possible, I never had a problem with my Dell and it's an eIPS I think? I was looking at the U2312HM since it's a bit cheaper than the 21.5 inch at the moment and is basically the newest version of what I have now. Don't know anything about any other brands so if anyone has suggestions I'm all for it.

sixghost

If you manually set the CPU Voltage when overclocking, is the voltage still supposed to reduce itself when not under load? It used to drop to .9ish and the CPU to 1.6 when everything was idle, but it's never going below 1.21, even though the CPU reduced itself to 1.6 like before

kharma45

Atm i dont use a specific editing software. Its more for fun, so its not a really important factor. Do you recommend an AMD card over a Nvidia? Any special reason for that?

If i havent forgotten something, price would be under 1000€ inc. case and SSD which would be amazing. How good would BF3 for example run on this build?

AMD offers better value at the minute for the price you pay, but the 670 is still a very good card in it's own right, I just prefer the better value offered by thee 7950 and 7970, although it may be pushing it a bit for your budget to fit one in and that is why I offered up the 660Ti as an alternative.

The reason I asked about software for video editing is that your GPU can effect it quite a bit, for instance Sony Vegas Pro works very well with AMD cards whereas the Windows version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 still does not support OpenCL for rendering videos.

What country are you in? I'll try to throw something together for you. Might be helpful to throw me a few links for online retailers in your country for PC components.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Friend may be buying an IPS monitor for a new build. Won't be for gaming, but will be used for moderate Photoshop image editing. Would it be safe to use an average video card or does the increased resolution demand a better video card?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Friend may be buying an IPS monitor for a new build. Won't be for gaming, but will be used for moderate Photoshop image editing. Would it be safe to use an average video card or does the increased resolution demand a better video card?

Glad I'm not the only one looking for an IPS right now. Just in terms of output onboard video would be fine, but depending on the PS work he does GPU acceleration (which can speed up certain workloads) might be a consideration. Since you mentioned "moderate" PS work it's probably not worth spending money on an expensive video card for it.

HELP ME GAF!

I'm in a really bad budget situation, but I want to upgrade my rig so badly. I was thinking about getting an i5 3570k and a motherboard. Then a friend told me he was selling his rig, and he offered it to me for half the price of the i5 + mobo. It's a QX 9770 Extreme, mobo and 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3. Is it worth? I know that processor is a beast for OC...

Oh, my current rig is a Phenom II X4 945 with 4GB of 800Mhz DDR2... :|

Tobinishi

AMD offers better value at the minute for the price you pay, but the 670 is still a very good card in it's own right, I just prefer the better value offered by thee 7950 and 7970, although it may be pushing it a bit for your budget to fit one in and that is why I offered up the 660Ti as an alternative.

The reason I asked about software for video editing is that your GPU can effect it quite a bit, for instance Sony Vegas Pro works very well with AMD cards whereas the Windows version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 still does not support OpenCL for rendering videos.

What country are you in? I'll try to throw something together for you. Might be helpful to throw me a few links for online retailers in your country for PC components.

Maybe i will wait one or two months and invest in a better card, i dont want to safe money on the wrong parts and than have to buy new ones in a year.

Other question should i "upgrade" to Windows 7 (or 8)?

I'm from Austria. some retailers i know ditech.at, mercateo.at and amazon.de, but they are all in german. Really appreciate your effort, thx a lot.

scogoth

HELP ME GAF!

I'm in a really bad budget situation, but I want to upgrade my rig so badly. I was thinking about getting an i5 3570k and a motherboard. Then a friend told me he was selling his rig, and he offered it to me for half the price of the i5 + mobo. It's a QX 9770 Extreme, mobo and 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3. Is it worth? I know that processor is a beast for OC...

It's really not worth putting money into a 3 generation old CPU and mobo. Stick it out and save your money until you can by something new. Just oc your 945 as much as you can to keep you going a little longer.

kharma45

HELP ME GAF!

If money is tight part why not just buy a good cooler and OC the shit out of your Phenom and upgrade when money is less of an issue?

The 9770 is still a good gaming CPU but you'll miss out on stuff like PCIe 3, USB 3 and SATA 3.

Maybe i will wait one or two months and invest in a better card, i dont want to safe money on the wrong parts and than have to buy new ones in a year.

I'm from Austria. some retailers i know ditech.at, mercateo.at and amazon.de, but they are all in german. Really appreciate your effort, thx a lot.

Yeah you should, both are good OS but for gaming 7 has the edge as it has less compatibility issues at present, especially with older stuff.

If you're waiting a month or two btw there'll be a new range of GPUs on the way from AMD and Nvidia all being well.

kharma45

I hope I've managed to get by with my limited 3 months of German lol this comes out at €1078,62

iAgeQggb49GRp.jpg

Just a rough build but it gives you an idea of what you can get for around €1000

Edit - Forgot the SSD, another €90 http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004W2JKZI/

Changes can be made obviously depending on how much you feel like spending. If you're in education check to see if you can get Windows for free.

Shopping around of course brings better prices but I just used Amazon for it all as it was handy.

Tobinishi

Yeah you should, both are good OS but for gaming 7 has the edge as it has less compatibility issues at present, especially with older stuff.

If you're waiting a month or two btw there'll be a new range of GPUs on the way from AMD and Nvidia all being well.

That means prices for "older" GPUs should go down, right?

Ok, enough for today but thx again for your help :). Hopefully i will have time tomorrow to compare prices on different sites and check some alternatives. I would love to make some kind of checklist for the next days with christmas sales everywhere and christmas money still available ;).

Edit:

I hope I've managed to get by with my limited 3 months of German lol this comes out at €1078,62

Just a rough build but it gives you an idea of what you can get for around €1000

Edit - Forgot the SSD, another €90 http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004W2JKZI/

Changes can be made obviously depending on how much you feel like spending. If you're in education check to see if you can get Windows for free.

Already have a 1TB HDD and you're right i should get Windows for free = 150€ safed - SSD = 60€. Maybe invest the 60€ in a better GPU? e.g. http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0074VVTPI/

kharma45

That means prices for "older" GPUs should go down, right?

Ok, enough for today but thx again for your help :). Hopefully i will have time tomorrow to compare prices on different sites and check some alternatives. I would love to make some kind of checklist for the next days with christmas sales everywhere and christmas money still available ;).

In theory yes, and they usually do.

If you get a chance I've a quick build posted above your last post as an idea of what you can do with ~€1000.

bdrob

Quick question, just noticed I can get a 2700K for about £10 more then the 3570K. With the prices being so close, which would you guys go for? Pros / Cons?

kharma45

Already have a 1TB HDD and you're right i should get Windows for free = 150€ safed - SSD = 60€. Maybe invest the 60€ in a better GPU? e.g. http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0074VVTPI/

Well that's handy enough then if you don't need an HDD or Windows, SSD fits easily in :)

Yeah you could invest in a better GPU (or case too) like a 7970 if you wanted, or there is Nvidia's 670 too which is their pick of the range. Make sure to check out other retailers, especially for the AMD cards as buying a 7900 series one gets you three free games but Amazon in Europe don't take part in it http://blogs.amd.com/play/this-holiday-never-settle/

Hopefully what I've shown you will get you pointing in the right direction.

Quick question, just noticed I can get a 2700K for about £10 more then the 3570K. With the prices being so close, which would you guys go for? Pros / Cons?

Are you gaming only or what will you be using it for?

Argyle

OK, this is what I'm starting to look at right now for my work PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($554.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($314.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($268.28 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($76.91 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full (32/64-bit) ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3270.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-26 20:40 EST-0500)

I pretty much have to order from Amazon or Newegg as I live in Hawaii (and have Amazon Prime and ShopRunner for free shipping, shipping is pretty brutal). I might skip out on the 7970 and just use the 6950 I have (I remember doing some mod to make it perform like a 6970?), then downgrade my old PC to a 4850. Again, this PC is going to be used for software development, so I am prioritizing a beefy CPU and fast disk I/O...thoughts?

kharma45

i5 or i7?

Depends on what you're doing.

More or less gaming only, just wondering if at that price the HT will make the i7 more futureproof?

Hard to call, few games at the minute make much use of HT at all.

You'll get PCI-e 3.0 with the 3570K and whilst it doesn't really matter now it could down the line as GPUs improve.

I actually don't know which I'd go for, there isn't a clear favourite in my books which I'm sure doesn't help you much :p I can see the arguments for both sides.

Samus4145

In need of GAF help. On my Asus p8z77-v pro motherboard, I just installed the Hyper 212 evo. On boot, I get a CPU Fan error. Checking out BIOS, it seems the fan is running ~300RPM only.

What do I do? I double checked the 4-pin and it is connected correctly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

(Dutch prices)

So, anybody any advise?
WD Blacks are really loud FYI, not a 2TB? Not a lot of other options for a good drive, but just letting you know .
Get an HX,AX,or X PSU from Corsair/Seasonic instead for PSU.
Why are motherboards not using the same/an universal pin layout? Is there a specific reason?

Please don't kill me. I'm new to this whole hardware thing.
$$$$. Apart from that it allows new pins to go to different places to control different things and have more bandwidth and standard features and connect stuff. Basically it limits what you can do. Take the AM3 CPUs in AM2+ sockets, they performed much much worse and many were not specified to take those 125W chips, many boards capped at 95W CPU draw.
Is the Samsung 840 Pro a good choice for a 'premium' SSD or is there a better buy for the money?

Also, are there any issues I should look out for when cloning an SSD (with Windows 7) to a newer SSD?
840 Pro is a great drive. Should be fine.

Go with the Excellent build and upgrade the PSU, CPU to 3770K, and GPU to a 7950 or GTX670. Leave you with some room for upgrades into the next gen of cards.
Thoughts?

S0ZVo.png

If you manually set the CPU Voltage when overclocking, is the voltage still supposed to reduce itself when not under load? It used to drop to .9ish and the CPU to 1.6 when everything was idle, but it's never going below 1.21, even though the CPU reduced itself to 1.6 like before
Yes, there is C1E, SpeedStep, C3, C6 states that the CPU will throttle itself down to. Normal and should be fine (As Intel says anyway).
Well, my Dell Ultrasharp apparently kicked the bucket and is out of warranty.

I want another IPS to replace it, but monitors are pretty far from my strong suit. Not sure I want to gamble on one of those Korean IPS panels (what's the hassle is like if you get dead pixels? etc.), but I'm considering it.

What are some other options? I'd like something with good response time if possible, I never had a problem with my Dell and it's an eIPS I think? I was looking at the U2312HM since it's a bit cheaper than the 21.5 inch at the moment and is basically the newest version of what I have now. Don't know anything about any other brands so if anyone has suggestions I'm all for it.
120Hz! :D
2700K imo.
OK, this is what I'm starting to look at right now for my work PC:

I pretty much have to order from Amazon or Newegg as I live in Hawaii (and have Amazon Prime and ShopRunner for free shipping, shipping is pretty brutal). I might skip out on the 7970 and just use the 6950 I have (I remember doing some mod to make it perform like a 6970?), then downgrade my old PC to a 4850. Again, this PC is going to be used for software development, so I am prioritizing a beefy CPU and fast disk I/O...thoughts?
The only thing I'd ask you is how well nVidia is supported vs. AMD in your software development. Most often it is nvidia tmk.
Also, get this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=x650

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm building a new PC and have Windows 7 on my laptop. Do I need to buy a new copy of Windows for the new PC?

Ty4on

For once I'd go for the i7. Ivy loses its advantage when overclocked and HT will make it more futureproof.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'd be interested, but I don't even know if there are any 120Hz IPS monitors available, let alone in a price range I could justify. And between 120Hz and IPS I'd rather have IPS at the moment, but maybe I'm biased since my calibrated Ultrasharp was the best looking monitor I'd ever used, and I've never used a 120Hz monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom