• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What new start menu?

Any opinions between these two sets of RAM? I checked both for compatibility with my motherboard, and neither are listed:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

timings are the same, price is different by a dollar, 1.35V vs. 1.5V

most in the thread will say to go for this since they can OC well if needed

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-memory-mv3v4g3dus

n64coder

In need of GAF help. On my Asus p8z77-v pro motherboard, I just installed the Hyper 212 evo. On boot, I get a CPU Fan error. Checking out BIOS, it seems the fan is running ~300RPM only.

What do I do? I double checked the 4-pin and it is connected correctly.

I'm guessing that it's defective. I suggest contacting CoolerMaster and asking them about it.

sixghost

Should I be worried if I have VDroop of 0.2v or 0.3v? I set my voltage to 1.32 in the BIOS, but am only getting 1.296v in CPU-Z when runing Prime95. LLC is set to High.

I hope this is the right thread for asking this, so here it goes:
Im looking to get an xbox USB wireless gamepad receiver for my pc, but there seems to be a lot of options and the reviews seem to be all over the place with "this one is crap/this is one works wonderful."
Is there any consensus around these parts as to which one is the best? Besides obviously buying a 360 gamepad for the pc, of course.

kennah

Thank you - I will look into those as well.

Would it make a difference if I wasn't concerned with OC? To be honest, I'm just looking for something stable, reliable, and compatible out of the box and not sure what direction to go.
They are tiny and generate very little heat and use a new manufacturing process. They're so awesome

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Made a few updates based on suggestions. Still deciding on PSU. Also still considering getting 2 670's. What is the difference between SLI ready and SLI certified on the new egg list?

JOYmQ.png

Also, used the PCpartpicker site, amazing. saves over $150 on this build form the newegg price. It has a site called NCIX, which I have never heard of. They reliable?

Greg

Hi All,

So, I went to the Microcenter and was able to buy quite a bit... but I didn't end up with the specified PSU or the CPU Cooler...

This was my setup

Planned Build -
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard - ASRock Z77E-ITX
Memory - Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600
Storage – Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – 7970 – Brand TBD
Case - BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus 550W

So, they didn't have the right PSU. I ended up with a Corsair CX600M for 97.99, which is on New Egg for 79.99. Now, is this power supply worth it and just suck it up or should I buy something completely different from Newegg or Amazon? I need something that is 150mm or less and can supply the power for a 7970.

Heck, I can get the Modular SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze for 10 bucks cheaper. Worth it?

Also, the guy at microcenter who was assisting me kept questioning... pretty much the entire build and if everything would fit and kept telling me to get an ATX case. I ended up abandoning buying the CPU Cooler there because of his skepticism. So how do I gauge what can fit as a cooler in this case? Should I just pick up a Corsair H60 and be done with it?

Thanks.

Thank you - I will look into those as well.

Would it make a difference if I wasn't concerned with OC? To be honest, I'm just looking for something stable, reliable, and compatible out of the box and not sure what direction to go.

if you are OC'ing stuff like memory it has to be able to take that speed/voltage increase without much issue. So given it's recommended status for that, you should be good for the normal stuff.

Made a few updates based on suggestions. Still deciding on PSU. Also still considering getting 2 670's. What is the difference between SLI ready and SLI certified on the new egg list?

JOYmQ.png

Also, used the PCpartpicker site, amazing. saves over $150 on this build form the newegg price. It has a site called NCIX, which I have never heard of. They reliable?

I've never used them personally but they get enough praise here to hang with stores like newegg and amazon so they sound alright to me. Plus they have an interesting service where you can pay them a small fee ($50 i think) to build/test the computer from the parts you listed if you are not interested in doing it yourself.

sixghost

I bought 2-3 things from NCIX when I built my machine. The only problem I had was that my HDD was backordered, but I never saw any sort of notification of the shortage when I was ordering the part.

iavi

JOYmQ.png

NCIX is fantastic. Haven't had an issue with them. and stuff comes fast.

Though, this is all said about the US store. No idea about the Can one.

Getting the upgrade itch!

Currently have an i5 750 OC'd to 3.8 on an MSI P55-GD65, 8 Gigs of DDR 3 with an ATI 6950... Not really taxing the system right now but would like to play some of the newer games without hitches. Now I am wondering if its worth holding out till April when the Haswell and the ATI 8950's start releasing. Either going for those or expect price drops on 7950's and 3570 chips etc...

Argyle

The only thing I'd ask you is how well nVidia is supported vs. AMD in your software development. Most often it is nvidia tmk.
Also, get this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&Tpk=x650

Honestly I don't think it matters too much, I've used both over the years without too many problems. (If it's really bad on AMD then it might be my job to fix that, haha) I'm leaning heavily towards not buying a new video card and just recycling my old 6950, should be enough GPU for now. Maybe I'll buy a new one when new cards come out in 2013.

Also, thanks for the tip on the PSU! I don't really know what is good so I just grabbed a 750W Corsair randomly. Let me guess - same PSU, just cheaper...and 750W should be more than enough right? The PCPartPicker estimated wattage was 515W or so, thought I should buy a bit more than the bare minimum but not go overboard...

Help PCGAF!

Just finished taking the faceplate off of my graphics card to remove built up dust put it back together and re-installed it back into my pc and Now I get no video! The fans turn on the gpu, no beeps, everything sounds fine and I can even hear the windows 7 chime when it gets to the log in screen...but no video!! Any help would be appreciated!

i5 2500k (no OC)
Asus Maximus IV Gene-z z68
EVGA GTX 570
Corsair 750 TX

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm going to eventually be purchasing a gaming PC. I just might build it myself only because it's cheaper and I haven't had much luck buying it from people who custom build things.

Only a couple of preliminary questions right now - is it the best time to buy a gaming PC? Also, I only want this PC for gaming. I looked at the OP (which was last updated in October, I believe) and the enthusiast (I think) is about $1,300. I can go more or less, but is that one a good PC to get or is that more than what I need since I only want my PC for gaming (and basic PC functions - but I'm not going to do video software, editing, etc.). I would like to record and upload videos though, so I guess I could use it for that.

Also, I think my downfall with PCs has been dust and cooling systems. So I would want the top of the line stuff to make sure my computer can run at a cool temperature. I will also dust it, but sometimes life gets in the way and I forget which can lead to dust build-up. That's my fault though. I have a gaming laptop right now which was probably one of my worst buys ever. I will never buy a laptop for gaming again.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm going to eventually be purchasing a gaming PC. I just might build it myself only because it's cheaper and I haven't had much luck buying it from people who custom build things.

Only a couple of preliminary questions right now - is it the best time to buy a gaming PC? Also, I only want this PC for gaming. I looked at the OP (which was last updated in October, I believe) and the enthusiast (I think) is about $1,300. I can go more or less, but is that one a good PC to get or is that more than what I need since I only want my PC for gaming (and basic PC functions - but I'm not going to do video software, editing, etc.). I would like to record and upload videos though, so I guess I could use it for that.

Also, I think my downfall with PCs has been dust and cooling systems. So I would want the top of the line stuff to make sure my computer can run at a cool temperature. I will also dust it, but sometimes life gets in the way and I forget which can lead to dust build-up. That's my fault though. I have a gaming laptop right now which was probably one of my worst buys ever. I will never buy a laptop for gaming again.

I'd give a quick shout out to the Antec P183 and P193 cases. They have fan filters on all intakes, so dust is kept out. They're also super, super quiet.

MrBig

My PC is on the other side of the country atm, was going to drive it over here but that's not an option any more, so anyone have any advice for shipping methods? It's at my dad's house, he can handle taking out the GPU, tying down the cords, etc.

Just put in an order for a u2412 for $297 as well, to put in portrait with my 27" :D

Csokis

Why non K? Are you gaming or doing media work? If it's just gaming and general use save your money and go for a 3570K.

Cooler wise I quite like Noctua's (although they're not exactly pretty) stuff but you could go lower cost like a Hyper 212 and still get good results.

Thanks!

Why non K? Because i am not an overclocker. Only default voltage. Enough for me. ;) Gaming and video editing.

I ordered a Alpenföhn K2 CPU cooler. I know it's more expensive, but it's okay! :)

UrgentPS

Neo Member
I'm actually in the process of putting together a similar build for CS6/Avid. You'll probably want to go with an nvidia gpu for cuda hardware acceleration in after effects, it's a feature that is only possible on nvidia cards. The list of supported cards is quite low, but from my understanding there is a simple text file "hack" that you can enter to get after effects to recognize basically any nvidia gpu and then allow acceleration.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the NVIDIA cards in the same price range. Guess that will leave me with a 660TI? The MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC perhaps?

WD Blacks are really loud FYI, not a 2TB? Not a lot of other options for a good drive, but just letting you know .
Get an HX,AX,or X PSU from Corsair/Seasonic instead for PSU.

Also thanks. Will swap the PSU for a Seasonic M12II-650 Bronze and have a closer look at the HDD :)

Xdrive05

Thanks, I'll have a look at the NVIDIA cards in the same price range. Guess that will leave me with a 660TI? The MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC perhaps?

I can recommend this Asus OC'd model. Got mine for $264 after MIR, so whichever 660 TI you go with, I would strongly recommend waiting for a sale. And I would pick one with a great cooler, like my Asus or the MSI you mentioned.

kharma45

JOYmQ.png

Change your RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

Hi All,

So, I went to the Microcenter and was able to buy quite a bit... but I didn't end up with the specified PSU or the CPU Cooler...

This was my setup

Planned Build -
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard - ASRock Z77E-ITX
Memory - Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600
Storage – Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – 7970 – Brand TBD
Case - BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus 550W

So, they didn't have the right PSU. I ended up with a Corsair CX600M for 97.99, which is on New Egg for 79.99. Now, is this power supply worth it and just suck it up or should I buy something completely different from Newegg or Amazon? I need something that is 150mm or less and can supply the power for a 7970.

Heck, I can get the Modular SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze for 10 bucks cheaper. Worth it?

Also, the guy at microcenter who was assisting me kept questioning... pretty much the entire build and if everything would fit and kept telling me to get an ATX case. I ended up abandoning buying the CPU Cooler there because of his skepticism. So how do I gauge what can fit as a cooler in this case? Should I just pick up a Corsair H60 and be done with it?

Thanks.

Go Seasonic, the CX Corsair's aren't all that good. XFX Core is another option (it's Seasonic inside) but it's not modular.

Getting the upgrade itch!

Currently have an i5 750 OC'd to 3.8 on an MSI P55-GD65, 8 Gigs of DDR 3 with an ATI 6950... Not really taxing the system right now but would like to play some of the newer games without hitches. Now I am wondering if its worth holding out till April when the Haswell and the ATI 8950's start releasing. Either going for those or expect price drops on 7950's and 3570 chips etc...

I'd stick with your current setup for another few months. Looked to see if you can unlock your 6950 to a 6970?

Thanks!

Why non K? Because i am not an overclocker. Only default voltage. Enough for me. ;) Gaming and video editing.

I ordered a Alpenföhn K2 CPU cooler. I know it's more expensive, but it's okay! :)

Fair do's! I'd say though for all the price difference there is go for a K model, OCing is easy and for the sake of $10 or whatever it is I'd rather have the option to be able to do it and never do it than never have it at all. Especially when you're getting a good aftermarket cooler too, might as well make use of it ;)

Akai__

$$$$. Apart from that it allows new pins to go to different places to control different things and have more bandwidth and standard features and connect stuff. Basically it limits what you can do. Take the AM3 CPUs in AM2+ sockets, they performed much much worse and many were not specified to take those 125W chips, many boards capped at 95W CPU draw.

Thanks for answering. :D

jarosh

Maybe one of you guys has an idea what's going on with my system...

It's been doing these strange lock-ups for a few months that always last about ~2 minutes. Every few hours, sometimes only every other day, in the middle of playing a game the system will just sort of half-freeze. Often the audio will keep playing, but sometimes it will get "stuck" as well. It has also happened once or twice while just browsing the net or messing with Steam. At first it always seems like the computer freezes completely, but it always responds to a ctrl-alt-del, showing me the Windows 7 screen with the options to lock the computer, start the task manager etc. It won't, however, do anything when I click on any of the options. Sometimes the ctrl-alt-del screen will come up, but it won't actually show the menu, instead I get the Win 7 "hourglass" and a message saying something like "security options are being prepared". Once the computer unfreezes, which it ALWAYS does after about 2 minutes, the menu will finally load. If I just don't do anything once it freezes, it'll go back to normal after 2 minutes, as if nothing happened, and I can resume playing the game or go back to doing whatever I was doing.

It's strange, because it just feels like a forced 2 minute break once a day or so with no apparent side effects, so it hasn't bothered me terribly. Sure, when you're in the middle of a crucial moment in a game it CAN be a bit annoying. Either way, this obviously SHOULDN'T happen and I'd like to know what's causing it. The system is completely stable otherwise.

Any ideas?

(For the record, I still don't have a lot installed on this machine. It's primarily used for gaming. Steam is on it and some other clients and gaming stuff. Drivers mostly for gaming peripherals, bluetooth and the like, then there's Dropbox, VLC and Chrome. That's it, more or less.)

Whooter

Pulled the trigger on my new rig this morning! All the parts should be here in a few days...

What's the recommended thermal paste/grease these days?

Go Seasonic, the CX Corsair's aren't all that good. XFX Core is another option (it's Seasonic inside) but it's not modular.

Thanks. Now, I have bought everything. I will tell you all how the build goes. I still have concerns about fan placement with this Corsair H60 being involved, but we will see.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay. I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading my old Intel 3Ghz Core 2 Duo system which has lasted me a good 3 years.

Here is my new build. I'm really excited. I'll still be using my GTX460 for now but most of the time I only game at 1280x720 on my projector.

Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H S1155
Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz
ARCTIC SILVER AS5 Premium, 3.5g tube

Total £252.77

I was about to buy my new IPS monitor and now I'm seeing a lot of people still recommend a TN over IPS monitor? Anyone here have any thoughts? My current rig isn't powerful enough to utilize 120Hz refresh rate that a nice TN can offer.

Samus4145

Looking to add a few extra fans into my case to maximize cooling. What are your recommendations and which way should they be installed (in/out take). It's currently being used as a Gaming/Streaming system.

Also, what is a safe OC for the 3770k in my setup?

My latest build is below.

Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Intel Core i7-3770K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti

kennah

What's so good about that ram? And isn't it better to have the ram with the fins on it for cooling?
This ram is a more efficient process. Doesn't generate much heat at all. Heat was a problem with 1.65v ram. The move to 1.35 and 1.5 volts has really cut out the need for spreaders and such. Now they are just there to look
Xtreme

Ty4on

I was about to buy my new IPS monitor and now I'm seeing a lot of people still recommend a TN over IPS monitor? Anyone here have any thoughts? My current rig isn't powerful enough to utilize 120Hz refresh rate that a nice TN can offer.

I feel it's very personal. One advantage with 120hz at ~60fps is reduced screen tearing because there are more refresh rates and if a frame is torn it'll be on screen for half as long.

Personally I haven't tried a 120hz screen, let alone compared it to an IPS screen, but I really wanna see how the spy flicking the knife in TF2 looks at 120fps when it's kinda like a slide show at 60.

Whooter

Well, shit, I just noticed that my Sapphire 7950 that I just ordered doesn't seem to have the free games deal attached to it now. Did that deal just end or something?

Half the reason I wanted that card was for the games... :(

DJ_Lae

Well, shit, I just noticed that my Sapphire 7950 that I just ordered doesn't seem to have the free games deal attached to it now. Did that deal just end or something?

Half the reason I wanted that card was for the games... :(

I think so, that or some retailers are starting to run out of codes or however the process works.

I've been looking at 7950s and 7970s at NCIX the past week and a lot of the models no longer have the free games attached to them - there are only a couple of cards that still seem to include the games.

Whooter

I think so, that or some retailers are starting to run out of codes or however the process works.

I've been looking at 7950s and 7970s at NCIX the past week and a lot of the models no longer have the free games attached to them - there are only a couple of cards that still seem to include the games.

Lame. I may have to strongly consider returning it, then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, I pulled the trigger on my above build, though I did change the ram. I was also feeling a bit silly, and ordered 2 670s. I've never done a SLI build before, so it will be something new. And I'll try and quickly assess the advantages myself and maybe send one back if it's not worth it. Time to go to Microcenter to get a few parts. I'm going to keep my ANTEC P193 case, becasue I love it, but I'm going to replace every fan and give it a thorough cleaning.

Got everything though amazon. Only a few parts would have been cheaper on other sites, but Amazon gave me $30 overnight shipping, so everything will be here tomorrow!

Will post pictures of build!

DJ_Lae

Lame. I may have to strongly consider returning it, then.

Yeah, it's unfortunate.

I've been waiting until January to build my new computer and I was planning on a 7950/7970 due to the free game bundle.

I'm hoping the rumour that they're shifting the included games is true, though if so I have no idea how long it would take for the new deal to be up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom