• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Will upgrading my processor and motherboard make a huge difference? I have a gigabyte motherboard, evga 670, and an I5 760k. I'm interested in the I5 3570k, but would like to know if making the upgrade will be worth the money.

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry, I meant to post specifics.

Heats wise, overclocking, what kind of performance increases in general. I got some extra cash and the upgrade bug has hit me. I know I should wait for Haswell, but I can't really find any info on it.

I was easily able to OC my 2500k to 4.7 and get really good temps with my Corsair h100. Would that still be feasibly with the 3770k?
You won't be able to top that with Ivy. Realistic Ivy 24/7 clocks are in the 4.3-4.5 range. The only benefit to swapping would then be PCI-E 3.0, which only matters in multiple card configurations at higher resolutions.
1. That's normal. You could set your fan to a constant speed in BIOS.
2. No idea, I'd ignore it.
3. More voltage = more heat. The things that can be damaging with high volts aren't even a consideration when you're talking about air cooled PC's. If you reduce your voltage, then you'll get lower temps.
Will upgrading my processor and motherboard make a huge difference? I have a gigabyte motherboard, evga 670, and an I5 760k. I'm interested in the I5 3570k, but would like to know if making the upgrade will be worth the money.
Clock for clock, there isn't much of a difference between Lynnfield and Ivy. If you can OC it to the 3.5-4.0 range (which is easy), then you'll be golden.

*edit*
@Varna - Anything else in the system that could be upgraded? Mech keyboard? Nice mouse? Good cans? Soundcard? SSD? 120hz monitor?

Varna

You won't be able to top that with Ivy. Realistic Ivy 24/7 clocks are in the 4.3-4.5 range. The only benefit to swapping would then be PCI-E 3.0, which only matters in multiple card configurations at higher resolutions.

I am using a 690GTX. But you are probably right. Not likely to see any real benefit.

I know it's possible to kill your CPU by overclocking or setting the voltage to high. But is it possible to just degrade it some? I made a mistake setting my volts some time back and I was running at 1.5v for at least a few months. I know every CPU is different but my physics scores and things like 3DMark seem much lower then others with my specs.

n64coder

Question about Windows 8 Upgrade:

I've built my PC in September with an OEM copy of Windows 7, and I'm looking to buy the $15 upgrade for Win8.

Is this possible with my copy of windows?

Also it is asking me for the brand of the PC, but my PC is assembled, so should I just put the motherboard's brand?

I'm not planning to actually upgrade, but just buy it for that price.

Yes, it should be possible. I have done this. Yeah, I used the Motherboard brand when filling out the form.

mkenyon

Banned
I am using a 690GTX. But you are probably right. Not likely to see any real benefit.

I know it's possible to kill your CPU by overclocking or setting the voltage to high. But is it possible to just degrade it some? I made a mistake setting my volts some time back and I was running at 1.5v for at least a few months. I know every CPU is different but my physics scores and things like 3DMark seem much lower then others with my specs.
Not as far as I know.

What makes things difficult is that we *probably* won't see anything significant with Haswell either. It's all focused on energy savings rather than raw power. The only promising thing I've seen come out of it is a return to the ability to OC via BCLK, and that doesn't mean much for the folks buying 'K' parts right now. It just means possibly great performance on the lower end chips like baseline i5s or even i3s.

But I'm speculating on rumors, which I don't really like to do as it could be totally wrong.
Awesome, thanks mkenyon.
No problem!

---------------------

Going through the stages right now, sitting at 4.2GHz with 1.095V. That's stock, 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2 all with pretty much stock voltage. This motherboard is so awesome. Temps are are in the low 60s running Small FFT on P95, pretty happy with the Megahalems so far!

I'd probably swap your PSU for this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Much more respected brand, 80+ Gold and if you're using a single GPU more than enough power.
As others have pointed out, I'd pass on that OCZ PSU. The Seasonic linked above is a stupid good PSU. I'm not kidding when I say that between myself and my friend (who swap parts back and forth with), we have 5 of those X650s. I use one on my test bench as well. Best PSU ever.

Alright, I'll give that one a go, thank you both. I saw a different SeaSonic recommended before, but when I dug through the reviews, they weren't looking ideal, which is why I went for the OCZ. (Which apparently tends to have loud fans, so I don't mind giving that up.)

If you weren't happy with the NZXT build quality, I'd say pass on the Antec. If you want well built and quiet, check out the Fractal Define R4 or BitFenix Ghost. If you want something that is just really nice with lots of options, check out the Lian Li PC-7HX, Fractal Arc Midi, and CoolerMaster 690II.

I've just about finished up with a BitFenix Ghost review, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The Define R4 has this intangible thing that just makes me like it more, maybe because it's just heavier or more solid. But really, it's a toss up between the two when it comes to $100 quiet cases.

*edit*

Some pretty good deals on a few Lian Li cases on the egg right now. The V700 is a pretty unique case that can fit full ATX builds in mATX form factor. My V700 is currently hosting a file server with 7 HDDs, previously held my full on gaming machine. I paid $230 for this guy day one, now it is $135 for the window/black interior version, and $112 for the standard black exterior/silver interior version.

Thanks again, that gives me some options to look through, hopefully I can find some local shops with them to test them out. The Define R4 looks very similar to the Antec I looked at. I will say that I'm not the biggest fans of how the CoolerMasters tend to look, even though I know their priority is obviously their namesake.

Get this 670 instead.

Hm... I was pretty happy with the one I had picked out, could you explain why? Faster core clock?

mkenyon

Banned
The Windforce 670 is the quietest high end GPU out there. It also tends to clock really well.

The Define R4, while similar at first glance with the P280 has some pretty huge differences. The HDD bay is modular allowing for better airflow if you aren't using all of the slots. The fit and finish is incredible, definitely the best powdercoat I've seen on a sub $200 case. It also allows for a pretty wide range of thermal configurations with 120 or 140mm fans being able to go in most places. The 140mm fans it ships with are pretty decent too, and it even has a voltage selectable fan controller for setting them where they need/can be for even more silent operation. It's also a bit more wide which allows for easier cable management. Not a small feat when all of the panels are sporting fairly thick sound dampening material.

Dig around, folks everywhere love it. I still say, quiet designed or not, I can't recommend any case $150 or less above it.

nDECz.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now that I've had more time to think about a new GPU I have a few questions.

Sporting a 600w PSU right now that is handling an OC'd 2500k and 7970. Can I get a 680 or 7970 and not need a new PSU? It would make my upgrade path a lot easier for the year and I can avoid trying to do anything like SLI while I wait for the next big cards in 2014.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This is probably a ridiculous question, but I'm trying to plot out my first desktop build and the OS seems like a major pain in the ass. Is there some sort of cheaper way to get a copy of Windows I'm unaware of?

t-ramp

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I'm trying to plot out my first desktop build and the OS seems like a major pain in the ass. Is there some sort of cheaper way to get a copy of Windows I'm unaware of?
If you're a college student there may very well be free or extremely cheap Windows licenses at your disposal.

mhayze

If you have an existing valid copy of windows, you should be able to get an upgrade pretty cheap. A full OEM copy of Windows 8 Home is approx $95 shipped, vs. about 120 for professional. You can also get a free 'downgrade' to Windows 7.

If you know someone who works in the IT field, they may be able to get a cheaper / free copy of Windows, for a variety of reasons. I usually receive a free copy or two each year for filling out surveys, or as door prizes, etc.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Windforce 670 is the quietest high end GPU out there. It also tends to clock really well.

The Define R4, while similar at first glance with the P280 has some pretty huge differences. The HDD bay is modular allowing for better airflow if you aren't using all of the slots. The fit and finish is incredible, definitely the best powdercoat I've seen on a sub $200 case. It also allows for a pretty wide range of thermal configurations with 120 or 140mm fans being able to go in most places. The 140mm fans it ships with are pretty decent too, and it even has a voltage selectable fan controller for setting them where they need/can be for even more silent operation. It's also a bit more wide which allows for easier cable management. Not a small feat when all of the panels are sporting fairly thick sound dampening material.

Dig around, folks everywhere love it. I still say, quiet designed or not, I can't recommend any case $150 or less above it.

I almost went with a fractle, but in the end I just decided to go with the upgraded Antec P193, with USB 3.0. I had the previous version, and the thing is whisper quiet. I also loved the fan filters. The only downside is the side fan restricts the largest of CPU coolers, but I can fit my Zalmann in just fine, and it's pretty tall. It also does not come with fans for the front intakes, but 120mm fans are cheap enough.

antec_p193_v3.jpg

I had to dig around, becasue it was apparently discontinued recently. I really hope it's just because they have something new in the works. The case has been fantastic. There's also a P 183, which is a few inches shorter, and has no side fan.

mkenyon

Banned
It is passable, for sure. There are just too many better options out there.
Now that I've had more time to think about a new GPU I have a few questions.

Sporting a 600w PSU right now that is handling an OC'd 2500k and 7970. Can I get a 680 or 7970 and not need a new PSU? It would make my upgrade path a lot easier for the year and I can avoid trying to do anything like SLI while I wait for the next big cards in 2014.
I don't understand what you are asking, so I'm sure the first mention of the 7970 was a typo, yeah?

680+2500 is around 350ish watts at load. 7970+2500 is around 400.

Echoplx

I was choosing between the Windforce and DirectCU just the other day and it seems like the DCU is quieter and cooler than the WF, not sure about clocks but the Gigabyte uses a stock 680 PCB while the Asus uses a custom layout and components.

They are pretty evenly matched overall so I guess it just comes down to preference.

The DCU is the quietest card at load though

n0n44m

Ah, okay. So it is a matter of space. I'm a little bit scared, because it will be the first time, that I'll build the PC on my own. I know, from many others, that this can be frustrating, but if you have it done, you will feel very good about it, so I'm really looking forward to it and now that I know, where to look at, things will be much easier.

Btw, I'm from Croatia, but I live in Germany. :)

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f137/

Still the best water cooling community IMHO

Aquatuning.de caseking.de highflow.nl

Best shops around here

Aquacomputer.de watercool.de

Order directly from the manufacturers

LiquidMetal14

It is passable, for sure. There are just too many better options out there.

I don't understand what you are asking, so I'm sure the first mention of the 7970 was a typo, yeah?

680+2500 is around 350ish watts at load. 7970+2500 is around 400.

That's exactly what I was asking. I think I'm going to take some of the advice earlier and I'm actually thinking of allocating my budget towards a new MB (my current one has messed up SATA ports), CPU, and a sorely needed case. Keeping all my other parts and just waiting on the GPU upgrade.

LiquidMetal14

That's exactly what I was asking. I think I'm going to take some of the advice earlier and I'm actually thinking of allocating my budget towards a new MB (my current one has messed up SATA ports), CPU, and a sorely needed case. Keeping all my other parts and just waiting on the GPU upgrade.

Ok, after doing a couple of hours of reading. I have decided to keep my current CPU (2500k), get that sorely needed case, and get a new Z77 MB. The upgrade on the MB alone are well worth it since it has more working SATA ports (4 of mine died :/) and has proper PCIe 3.0 GPU support. It's also built for XF or SLI AND I can basically keep all my current parts (SSD,HDD,RAM!, and CD). I will basically be gutting my current MB/CASE and transplanting everything over including the CPU Hyper 212 cooler. I happen to have a spare Hyper 212 heatsink as well so I don't have to use the dusty one I current maintain.

I have no real reservations on my choices unless someone can recommend a better full size case for the same price? Both the MB and case would be a huge upgrade for me in terms of performance and space to properly wire manage.

kharma45

Ok, after doing a couple of hours of reading. I have decided to keep my current CPU (2500k), get that sorely needed case, and get a new Z77 MB. The upgrade on the MB alone are well worth it since it has more working SATA ports (4 of mine died :/) and has proper PCIe 3.0 GPU support. It's also built for XF or SLI AND I can basically keep all my current parts (SSD,HDD,RAM!, and CD). I will basically be gutting my current MB/CASE and transplanting everything over including the CPU Hyper 212 cooler. I happen to have a space heatsink as well so I don't have to use the dusty one I current maintain.

I have no real reservations on my choices unless someone can recommend a better full size case for the same price? Both the MB and case would be a huge upgrade for me in terms of performance and space to properly wire manage.

Whilst the motherboard supports PCIe 3 remember that the 2500K itself doesn't, not that it matters hugely at the minute as the only thing that can really justify the bandwidth it offers is the GTX 690.

LiquidMetal14

Whilst the motherboard supports PCIe 3 remember that the 2500K itself doesn't, not that it matters hugely at the minute as the only thing that can really justify the bandwidth it offers is the GTX 690.

You're right, it seems I need a 3770k or one of the 3xxx CPU's is needed. Something else to ponder. I could always forgo the GPU upgrade and just got for broke and get a 3770k. The GPU would have to wait until 2014.

Quick question, would a Hyper 212 support that CPU? It's the same socket (1155) so I'm assuming it will.

kharma45

You're right, it seems I need a 3770k or one of the 3xxx CPU's is needed. Something else to ponder. I could always forgo the GPU upgrade and just got for broke and get a 3770k. The GPU would have to wait until 2014.

Quick question, would a Hyper 212 support that CPU? It's the same socket (1155) so I'm assuming it will.

Yeah you need an Ivy Bridge CPU to make use of it. Aye the 212 will still fit fine.

What is your current GPU?

LiquidMetal14

Yeah you need an Ivy Bridge CPU to make use of it. Aye the 212 will still fit fine.

What is your current GPU?

6970. I have a budget of around around 1k for this with income tax money so I'm planning ahead. Currently I have a P67 MB which has 4 dead SATA 3.0 ports. And my case is a hand me down I got free to get this build up and running cheaply a couple years back.

I really don't feel inadequate at all with this GPU so waiting another year will probably be for the best since I can focus on the necessary fixes to prepare myself for a big GPU upgrade the following year. The best part is everything will transfer over. Although the RAM I have is PC1333, I can always upgrade later but right now, my PC is very fast as it is. The key parts are this MB being PCIe 3.0 ready with proper 2-3 way XF SLI support.

I don't even think I have to upgrade my PSU since the TDP on the 3770k is actually less than my current CPU (90W 2500K vs 77W 3770k).

I guess that means I should try and find a future buyer for a 2500k since it's a rock solid CPU which I have OC'd to 4.8ghz right now.

kharma45

6970. I have a budget of around around 1k for this with income tax money so I'm planning ahead. Currently I have a P67 MB which has 4 dead SATA 3.0 ports. And my case is a hand me down I got free to get this build up and running cheaply a couple years back.

I really don't feel inadequate at all with this GPU so waiting another year will probably be for the best since I can focus on the necessary fixes to prepare myself for a big GPU upgrade the following year. The best part is everything will transfer over. Although the RAM I have is PC1333, I can always upgrade later but right now, my PC is very fast as it is. The key parts are this MB being PCIe 3.0 ready with proper 2-3 way XF SLI support.

I don't even think I have to upgrade my PSU since the TDP on the 3770k is actually less than my current CPU (90W 2500K vs 77W 3770k).

I guess that means I should try and find a future buyer for a 2500k since it's a rock solid CPU which I have OC'd to 4.8ghz right now.

6970 is still a good GPU, and the 2500K a good CPU so it seems a shame to waste either.

What are you going to be doing with your PC? Gaming? Media work like Photoshop and video editing?

LiquidMetal14

6970 is still a good GPU, and the 2500K a good CPU so it seems a shame to waste either.

What are you going to be doing with your PC? Gaming? Media work like Photoshop and video editing?

Mainly gaming and media. I have no real urge to need more than 8GB of RAM which is all I have so it's easy to skip out on RAM.

The main thing I'm trying to do is keep as many components without getting unnecessary pieces. I opted to skip the CPU but having proper PCIe 3.0 support is important enough for me since I want to be able to get proper PCIe 3.0 GPU's and not be getting the most out of them with the current 2500k. I love that CPU as well so as you can see from my earlier posts, it was never my intent to ditch it.

After you reminded that PCIe 3.0 needed a 3xxx series i5/i7, I basically made my mind up.

So that means the GPU upgrade (which would be premature anyways) will have to wait until 2014. By then we should have the new powerful GPU's available. For what the 6970 does, I can wait.

If there's one thing I hate is not having the right components to take advantage of my current components. My current MB would support PCIe 3.0 as well but it only has 1 slot for that and the 4 dead SATA 3.0 ports are a real killjoy.

This feels like the right move instead of trying to over invest in a new GPU without having a proper CPU to support it.

I'm really liking that Thermalake case as well. The little embedded video on Newegg really sold me.

mkenyon

Banned
I was choosing between the Windforce and DirectCU just the other day and it seems like the DCU is quieter and cooler than the WF, not sure about clocks but the Gigabyte uses a stock 680 PCB while the Asus uses a custom layout and components.

They are pretty evenly matched overall so I guess it just comes down to preference.

The DCU is the quietest card at load though

Those are different results than I've seen elsewhere. I'll check into the methodology and see what's up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
My brother has a haf912 and the biostar z77 in the OP. when he plugs in headphones to the front, they work fine, but when he plugs in the microphone next to it, the headphones no longer work. Anyone know what's going on?

Check the Realtek or Biostar sound config( depending which driver you installed its all realtek). It is probably resetting the headphone jack. They are supposed to sense insertion and auto configure, but you know PCs, they always have glitches. Just try to force it to do what you want it to do in the audio control panel.

Echoplx

Those are different results than I've seen elsewhere. I'll check into the methodology and see what's up.

Seems to be the same everywhere I looked.

The DirectCU II cooler is the cherry on top, making it the coolest and quietest high-end graphics card we've ever tested
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1325-page6.html

Fan noise of the ASUS GTX 670 DC II is incredible. In idle it is barely audible if you put your ear next to it - using a completely passive PC, in a quiet room. Under load the fan ramps up a tiny bit to handle the extra heat but the difference is barely measurable. As a result the GTX 670 DC II is quieter under load than most other cards in idle!! Perfect job ASUS!
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/27.html

NoRéN

I'm buying off amazon since I have around $100 in credit to burn. I don't see any of the ones you mentioned there. I'll keep looking.

kharma45

NoRéN;45897314 said:
I'm buying off amazon since I have around $100 in credit to burn. I don't see any of the ones you mentioned there. I'll keep looking.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MJHSFG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HYIDTC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MPB12K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F7HFRA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00966IREK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095FMXAG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00965J8I0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

To be blunt they were quite hard to miss. The prices aren't as good as Newegg (they've the 7870 within budget) and Amazon seem to be lacking in stock of some models, but if you've that voucher I guess you're limited as to where you can go.

NoRéN

lol. the fuck was I searching?

Any recommendations on any of those? Preferred brands? Best warranties and customer service?

So Amazon isn't offering the two free games like Newegg and other retailers are. After my 670 got here I contacted Amazon and they told me I didn't qualify for the promotion when clearly Asus and Nvidia have promotions for a free game(s) with the purchase of a 600 series card. I am sad. Anything I could do?

lolmoose

Neo Member
So Amazon isn't offering the two free games like Newegg and other retailers are. After my 670 got here I contacted Amazon and they told me I didn't qualify for the promotion when clearly Asus and Nvidia have promotions for a free game(s) with the purchase of a 600 series card. I am sad. Anything I could do?

Try emailing Nvidia directly. If that doesn't work, then I'd return the card you purchased and purchase it again elsewhere:p

NoRéN

Was it advertised on amazon's page?

kharma45

NoRéN;45897840 said:
lol. the fuck was I searching?

Any recommendations on any of those? Preferred brands? Best warranties and customer service?

No idea :p

I'm not sure on the warranty and servicing in the US but at least for the UK this is what it's like, I'd imagine the companies on the other side of the Atlantic would have a generally similar reputation level.

Hard to call out of the two. 7850 (usually, it's never guaranteed) overclocks very well and if you get a good one you can see it get near to stock 7950 levels, most though should easily outpace a stock 7870. It's also got better memory bandwidth too. AMD also offer the 'Never Settle' bundle too with the 7850 which should give you Far Cry 3 free with the card.

The 660 will offer up Nvidia-only technologies (like PhysX, Adaptive VSync, TXAA), a reputation for better driver support and a faster card in most games when at their stock clocks, although those benchmarks were done before AMD's new 12.11 drivers which brought a good performance boost across the 7000 series.

If I was going for the 7850 in isolation it would probably be the Sapphire.

If it was down to the 660 alone it'd be between the MSI and the EVGA, the pros and cons of both are at the end of this review.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
When having an 8 pin cpu connector and a PSU that has a 4+4 (so two separates) should I plug them both in or only the one with the right form? (since one of the 4 pins doesn't have 2 square plugs like the other but goes in just fine). Little confused about this

NoRéN

No idea :p

I'm not sure on the warranty and servicing in the US but at least for the UK this is what it's like, I'd imagine the companies on the other side of the Atlantic would have a generally similar reputation level.

Hard to call out of the two. 7850 (usually, it's never guaranteed) overclocks very well and if you get a good one you can see it get near to stock 7950 levels, most though should easily outpace a stock 7870. It's also got better memory bandwidth too. AMD also offer the 'Never Settle' bundle too with the 7850 which should give you Far Cry 3 free with the card.

The 660 will offer up Nvidia-only technologies (like PhysX, Adaptive VSync, TXAA), a reputation for better driver support and a faster card in most games when at their stock clocks, although those benchmarks were done before AMD's new 12.11 drivers which brought a good performance boost across the 7000 series.

If I was going for the 7850 in isolation it would probably be the Sapphire.

If it was down to the 660 alone it'd be between the MSI and the EVGA, the pros and cons of both are at the end of this review.

I'm going to take my time reading all of this. Thanks!

i would say to try as the poster below said, even the part of returning the card and getting it from somewhere else (like Newegg).

Try emailing Nvidia directly. If that doesn't work, then I'd return the card you purchased and purchase it again elsewhere:p

Amazon not indicating that they are doing these deals on the page (which means there is a good chance they wont honor) and their crappy GPU prices are the reasons why i didn't get GPU from them.

When having an 8 pin cpu connector and a PSU that has a 4+4 (so two separates) should I plug them both in or only the one with the right form? (since one of the 4 pins doesn't have 2 square plugs like the other but goes in just fine). Little confused about this

try to get both in.

i remember someone saying that you could just go with one but you wont be able to do stuff like OCing, but i say both to be safe.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
try to get both in.

i remember someone saying that you could just go with one but you wont be able to do stuff like OCing, but i say both to be safe.
Thanks, both fit in, but because one of them is not shaped with the squares I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. It should do great with one since it's an old CPU that doesn't go over the power limit but if I can get both in I figure it's better

Thanks, both fit in, but because one of them is not shaped with the squares I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. It should do great with one since it's an old CPU that doesn't go over the power limit but if I can get both in I figure it's better

Apparently the other shape(s?) can go into a square shaped socket if necessary. For me both plugged in just fine.

mkenyon

Banned
The Silent PC data convinces me. Thank you very much for this info!

Got my test bench (3570K + UP7) stable at 4.6GHz with 1.21V. Pretty insane. Avg temp is 72.5 with the Megahalems, so I think I've reached its limit on air. Definitely need to put it under water and see how far it'll go before hitting that heat wall.

i would say to try as the poster below said, even the part of returning the card and getting it from somewhere else (like Newegg).

Amazon not indicating that they are doing these deals on the page (which means there is a good chance they wont honor) and their crappy GPU prices are the reasons why i didn't get GPU from them.

Said w/e and bought it on ebay for 20 bux (really free with the rebate card)

n0n44m

The Silent PC data convinces me. Thank you very much for this info!

Got my test bench (3570K + UP7) stable at 4.6GHz with 1.21V. Pretty insane. Avg temp is 72.5 with the Megahalems, so I think I've reached its limit on air. Definitely need to put it under water and see how far it'll go before hitting that heat wall.

Nice... De-lid'ed?

Babalu.

I know this isnt the right thread but i've gotten no bites in the buy sell thread.

My moms video card (my old built computer) a radeon 4890 has burned out and needs another one. My little brother plays a few steam games like csgo/chivalry/lfd2.

I'm looking for a new video card thats super cheap. Like $70 and under. The cheaper the better. Just something so my mom can do her business, and my bro can jump on counterstrike go even if graphics aren't high.

tldr: looking for a cheap video card for my parents computer. PM me if you are selling something old after upgrading. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Nice... De-lid'ed?
Nah. This is going to be the standard test bench I use for a variety of things for a few years. The goal is to emulate real world performance, so I won't be doing anything the average enthusiast/gamer wouldn't.

In other news, seeing some pretty significant performance differences in Dota 2 between 3600 and 4600MHz with 200Mhz intervals. Awesome data.

Also, being able to just drop the clock by 100mhz with a push of a button is saving me tons of time. Love this board so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom