• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not the thread to ask, but I don't know where else would be better. It's been about 7 years since I had an Nvidia desktop GPU so I'm wondering,

Where do I go for the proper drivers and tweaks for this GTX670?

thx guys!

Echoplx

Ah. I meant stuff for voltage and clock speed tweaking.

It's been so long, all my mind knows is AMD stuff like Afterburner, Trixx and ATI Tray Tools. Just wanted to be prepared since I'm about to swap out the bad part now. Thanks again.

Afterburner works with AMD and Nvidia, so you're fine with that :)

Salsa

JqdVT.jpg

daw

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I got my parts in, and apparently when ordering off Amazon, I forgot a PSU. I am going to doing an i5 and SLI GTX 670's. Have a few hard drives. Newegg calculator says ~775 need, so I'm thinking 850w to be safe. Anyone have any recommendations, would like a modular one.

kharma45

So I got my parts in, and apparently when ordering off Amazon, I forgot a PSU. I am going to doing an i5 and SLI GTX 670's. Have a few hard drives. Newegg calculator says ~775 need, so I'm thinking 850w to be safe. Anyone have any recommendations, would like a modular one.

What is your budget? 750w will be plenty for SLI 670s, a few posts above I used a calculator to find out that 2x 670 and an OC'd 3770k uses around 420w, so you'd be fine on 750 easily.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What is your budget? 750w will be plenty for SLI 670s, a few posts above I used a calculator to find out that 2x 670 and an OC'd 3770k uses around 420w, so you'd be fine on 750 easily.

Strange. Wonder what's up with the Newegg calculator. Far as budget, max would be $150, but I just want something reliable and hopefully modular.

Putting a computer together right now, got it all in, and when I turn it on it goes straight to a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" warning; I have a SSD hooked up but haven't installed Windows just yet, I was hoping to mess around with the BIOS first. Do I need to install Windows first at this point or am I missing something? As soon as it loads it goes straight to this screen, so there doesn't seem to be an option to enter BIOS?

Any advice?

mhayze

Whats the rule of thumb when buying a 2.1 sound system for your PC?

I don't think there is a rule of thumb. I assume that you are looking for something in the 60 - 200 price range, and there are lots of options. Don't dismiss 'non-PC' brands, i.e. people more focused in the consumer or pro space, rather than being something PC specific. I had (have) a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system that set a benchmark ~10 years ago, and Logitech (and Creative) have released some decent speakers in the intervening years.

BUT, all of these only sound good with a 'for the price' disclaimer. My current Mini Maggie system makes all these older speakers sound like Fisher Price toys.

At $60 on sale, the Nuforce S-X is a good deal, but needs an amp.
If you have the space / budget for it, look at something like the AudioEngine or other pro audio powered speakers (Dynaudio, M-Audio, etc.), because these need to provide a certain level of clarity / power.

Just found this Lifehacker link - http://lifehacker.com/5957537/five-best-desktop-computer-speakers. What makes me laugh is that the #1 pick is the Klipsch speakers I bought 10 years ago. Note that the volume pod has died twice in that time period, and the 2nd time I paid for the replacement out of warranty.

mkenyon

Banned
Putting a computer together right now, got it all in, and when I turn it on it goes straight to a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" warning; I have a SSD hooked up but haven't installed Windows just yet, I was hoping to mess around with the BIOS first. Do I need to install Windows first at this point or am I missing something? As soon as it loads it goes straight to this screen, so there doesn't seem to be an option to enter BIOS?

Any advice?
Spam DEL

MrBig

Any advice?

You have to hit a button during the post sequence, eg Del on Asus boards.

e: beat

Sec0nd

Hi guys, total computer newb looking for advice.

I'm currently working on a Macbook Pro with an i7 2.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM (Upgraded today and works like a charm), and some crappy graphics card obviously. I mostly use it for video editing and internet browsing.

The is though that I've been considering going back and buy a proper desktop machine. Reasons for this that it's not always handy to work on a mac. Not all programs are available or don't work as well as they would on a regular PC. Like how I always use PS3 Media Server to stream stuff to my PS3, I had zero issues using a horrible 6 year old PC but it's all over the place with my much better Macbook.

Other reasons are to have a better and smoother experience during video editing (But this is less of an issue now I upgraded to 8GB RAM) and I might be interested in some light PC gaming. I'm really curious in games like DayZ, but I'll most likely play the majority of my games on my Xbox.

Now I'm currently looking at two PC's.

i7 3770 (3,4 GHz)
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 620 1GB

2. (This one might be too pricey for me)
i7-2600 (3,4 GHz)
8 GB RAM
GTX 560 1280 MB

So now the questions;

1. Are these computers noticeably faster then my current Macbook?
2. Will I be able to play recent games on high settings?
3. Is it worth it to buy a desktop computer because some things just work better on Windows?

shit.

2 of this 670's fan mounts are broken, so half of the fan flops. gonna send it back and now I have to seriously think about whether I want another one. It's highly regarded for its performance, but the way the fan array mounts to the board looks extremely fragile and flimsy. any amount of pressure at all and I think the other 2 mounting points would simply break off.

NoRéN

Finally got my Spectre Pro fans and I noticed the screw holes aren't threaded. It's gonna be a bitch to install them, isn't it?

Alright, things are looking pretty good with the computer I'm putting together, but one possible new issue related to cooling. The new PC is an i3-3220 with stock cooler and I was fiddling around in the BIOS, but noticed the temp (at what is basically idle) was getting up to around 37-38C based on the BIOS temperature assessment; my other computer in the same room (2500K with push/pull CM Hyper 212+ setup) is running at 30C right now based on Speedfan.

I'm thinking that the 3220 is running hotter than it should? Or, is that about what you'd expect for a stock cooler? Considering taking off the stock cooler, wiping off the stock thermal paste, and applying some Arctic MX2. Am I worrying over nothing?

Edit: I meant to say my 2500K is running at 30C, not 33C.

NoRéN

Alright, things are looking pretty good with the computer I'm putting together, but one possible new issue related to cooling. The new PC is an i3-3220 with stock cooler and I was fiddling around in the BIOS, but noticed the temp (at what is basically idle) was getting up to around 37-38C based on the BIOS temperature assessment; my other computer in the same room (2500K with push/pull CM Hyper 212+ setup) is running at 33C right now based on Speedfan.

I'm thinking that the 3220 is running hotter than it should? Or, is that about what you'd expect for a stock cooler? Considering taking off the stock cooler, wiping off the stock thermal paste, and applying some Arctic MX2. Am I worrying over nothing?

Sounds like the difference is due to the stock cooler.

Exuro

Are there any coolers that support current and older sockets like lga775? My brother has a q6600 and one of the plastic pieces that secure the cooler into the motherboard broke off. I'd rather find something that could be reused on a future machine.

kharma45

Are there any coolers that support current and older sockets like lga775? My brother has a q6600 and one of the plastic pieces that secure the cooler into the motherboard broke off. I'd rather find something that could be reused on a future machine.

Hyper 212.

MisterNoisy

Hyper 212, Xigmatek SD1283 Gaia.

Quick question, in Micro Center now. I was going for the i7 3770K, but there's a deal where I'll get an extra $40 off a P8 Z77-V LK motherboard (Making it 105 before 20 MIR) if I go with an i5 3570K. Thoughts? It would help the rest of my budget.

kharma45

Quick question, in Micro Center now. I was going for the i7 3770K, but there's a deal where I'll get an extra $40 off a P8 Z77-V LK motherboard (Making it 105 before 20 MIR) if I go with an i5 3570K. Thoughts? It would help the rest of my budget.

If you're just gaming and using it for general stuff then the 3570K is the better buy. Media heavy work like video and photo editing you'll get the benefit of the i7.

Whooter

IMO, you only need the 3770k if you're planning on doing a lot of video encoding/rendering, etc. If you're primarily gaming, the 3570k is plenty.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi guys, total computer newb looking for advice.

I'm currently working on a Macbook Pro with an i7 2.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM (Upgraded today and works like a charm), and some crappy graphics card obviously. I mostly use it for video editing and internet browsing.

The is though that I've been considering going back and buy a proper desktop machine. Reasons for this that it's not always handy to work on a mac. Not all programs are available or don't work as well as they would on a regular PC. Like how I always use PS3 Media Server to stream stuff to my PS3, I had zero issues using a horrible 6 year old PC but it's all over the place with my much better Macbook.

Other reasons are to have a better and smoother experience during video editing (But this is less of an issue now I upgraded to 8GB RAM) and I might be interested in some light PC gaming. I'm really curious in games like DayZ, but I'll most likely play the majority of my games on my Xbox.

Now I'm currently looking at two PC's.

i7 3770 (3,4 GHz)
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 620 1GB

2. (This one might be too pricey for me)
i7-2600 (3,4 GHz)
8 GB RAM
GTX 560 1280 MB

So now the questions;

1. Are these computers noticeably faster then my current Macbook?
2. Will I be able to play recent games on high settings?
3. Is it worth it to buy a desktop computer because some things just work better on Windows?
1. The second, maybe the first.
2. Not on the first.
3. Yes.

If you aren't going to build your own, and you want it to be a gaming machine, get an Alienware X51. There isn't anything that comes close to being purpose-built with no frills (aka, not inflated price).

But, if you do build your own, you'd be able to get ~20-30% increased linear performance in video editing over any of the other stuff.
shit.

2 of this 670's fan mounts are broken, so half of the fan flops. gonna send it back and now I have to seriously think about whether I want another one. It's highly regarded for its performance, but the way the fan array mounts to the board looks extremely fragile and flimsy. any amount of pressure at all and I think the other 2 mounting points would simply break off.
Which 670? Could you take a picture of what you are talking about?
NoRéN;45848848 said:
Finally got my Spectre Pro fans and I noticed the screw holes aren't threaded. It's gonna be a bitch to install them, isn't it?
I don't think any fans have threaded holes.

Exuro

okay one last question. Getting a a hyper 212 for the older bro and 3 3pin to molex adapters to get mr.noisy's case fans all working for the little bro. I want to get at least 2 fans for my older brothers new case(shinobi). The ones I saw at first said 4 pin which I'm not sure will be compatible. What are good black 120mm fans that use molex so I won't have to get adapters?

Edit:preferably on newegg.

mkenyon

Banned
okay one last question. Getting a a hyper 212 for the older bro and 3 3pin to molex adapters to get mr.noisy's case fans all working. I want to get at least 2 fans for my older brothers new case(shinobi). The ones I saw at first said 4 pin which I'm not sure will be compatible. What are good black 120mm fans that use molex so I won't have to get adapters?
First off, check this, and this out.

I don't think any fan has a molex header on it. Some do come with adapters though. On the less expensive side, I know all of the BitFenix Spectre Pro's do.

Exuro

First off, check this, and this out.

I don't think any fan has a molex header on it. Some do come with adapters though. On the less expensive side, I know all of the BitFenix Spectre Pro's do.
Awesome. Spectre Pro is a better deal than what I was looking at plus it matches his case.

Is there anything like that splitter on NewEgg?(I have 2 day free shipping and my brother is coming up on the weekend so I'd like to get it in before he leaves after next week) Would rather do that then get 3+ cables at $4 each. Gonna try searching for something similar to it.

Edit: Most I'm seeing is 2 split which means I would still need molex adapters. : / He has one fan already with a molex adapter so 5 fans in total that would need connecting. One method woupld be 2 2 split cables and 1 adapter but thats pretty much the same as just getting 3 molex adapters.

I'd probably change your cooler to a Hyper 212 to save money, it'll do just as good a job according to this thread anyway.

Also, do you really need 16GB of RAM? If you're just gaming drop to 8GB and get this stuff. If you still need 16GB for say video editing or Photoshop still get the Samsung stuff.

Also if you're getting a new GPU, go for a 670 not a 680. I'd not bother with SLI 460's, just save towards a new single GPU.

Less noise and heat, more VRAM and less hassle for drivers etc.

I have already swapped out motherboard choices for this ASROCK. Not attempting the SLI as this mobo doesn't even support SLI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157296

I also lowered down to 8gb of ram (Samsung) and swapped out for that hyper 212 cooler as well.

Exuro

Alright I think I found what I need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248

From what I read it has 2 3 pin fan connectors so I can plug in 3 with two of these which each plug into a molex power cable. Is that right? It the way to go as well?

Edit: ugh alright another change. Was thinking instead of the spectre pros I could do this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Not sure how much worse they are, but my brother probably wouldn't notice. If it's good enough I'll get those instead. Then I just need to make sure the rosewill cable will do what I want. I'll order 2 more and call it good.

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;45853136 said:
I see.

Well, I tried my best to screw it in. It was a bit of a hassle but I installed the fan.

Really quiet. Thanks for the recomendations!
Yeah, they are a bitch. The screwdriver that I have defaulted to is a really thick handled one just for this purpose.
Alright I think I found what I need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248

From what I read it has 2 3 pin fan connectors so I can plug in 3 with two of these which each plug into a molex power cable. Is that right? It the way to go as well?

Edit: ugh alright another change. Was thinking instead of the spectre pros I could do this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Not sure how much worse they are, but my brother probably wouldn't notice. If it's good enough I'll get those instead. Then I just need to make sure the rosewill cable will do what I want. I'll order 2 more and call it good.
Those should be fine. 1200RPM is a good speed for that border between performance and silence.

Exuro

Yeah, they are a bitch. The screwdriver that I have defaulted to is a really thick handled one just for this purpose.

Those should be fine. 1200RPM is a good speed for that border between performance and silence.
Cool. Question on the rosewill cable. It says it has 2 3 pin and 1 4 pin male connectors. Can the 4 pin male connector connect to a 3 pin female fan?

Edit: I'm reading that it will, and that the 4th pin is the fan control. So with my little brother needing to connect 3 fans he would just need one cable correct? Then two for the new case that would be getting 4 new fans. So I would connect the molex to the psu, then a fan to the 3/4 pins and if i wanted to control the fans i would plug the 4 pin female into the mobo(but only be able to control fans with 4 pins?). Am I on the right track?

All in all, I would have 7 fans needing connected. Each cable can support 3 fans which is then connected to molex for power, so I would need 3 of them?

edit2: ordered them. Don't care for fan speed control so three will be enough between both cases.

Alright, things are looking pretty good with the computer I'm putting together, but one possible new issue related to cooling. The new PC is an i3-3220 with stock cooler and I was fiddling around in the BIOS, but noticed the temp (at what is basically idle) was getting up to around 37-38C based on the BIOS temperature assessment; my other computer in the same room (2500K with push/pull CM Hyper 212+ setup) is running at 30C right now based on Speedfan.

Edit: I meant to say my 2500K is running at 30C, not 33C.

It's the same problem all Ivy CPUs have I believe. They used TIM instead of solder when attaching the IHS to the core. I ended up throwing an old Scythe III Katana on my 3220 and running it at a lower fan speed, which fixed the problem. It won't overheat, but it's going to run hotter then it really should.

NoRéN

Duh! Why didn't I think of that! I was more focused on the screw part that i didn't think to get a screwdriver with a bigger handle for better grip.

Which 670? Could you take a picture of what you are talking about?

Windforce Gigabyte.

gigabyteswindforce3xgef.jpg

The fan array mine as well be held to the main board by duct tape and prayer. They're held to the array of heat sinks by 4 laughably small screws and plastic joints that those screws mount to. Any pressure around those little joints and I'm sure the assembly will break off.

Pretty disappointing. Otherwise, the performance is excellent. Definitely smoother than my 6950 at the resolutions I play at, and the PhysX stuff that I couldn't see in Borderlands 2 will have me buying Nvidia in the future. What's a few bucks more for these pretty effects on a card I'll have for at least 2 years, you know?

Tangent: With all the consoles moving to AMD, do any of you feel like buying AMD PC GPUs will likely result in the best framerates and performance for games that will be ported to/from PC to the next Xbox and PlayStation? I can only assume that the PC gpus will be receiving much of the same tech that the consoles are getting. Shouldn't AMD have an advantage in this way over the next couple of years?

Sweet Jesus someone help me!!!!!,!,

I tried adding another ssd to my comp and the computer was not reading the ssd so I tried changing the sata port that it was connected to. After that didn't work, I then turned off the combo and try to switch the new ssd in with the old and put the old onto another sata port and my comp was unable to detect either drive. Then I tried putting things back to the we way they were and now my combo can't find any drive except the cd!! I have 2 ssds and a hdd and none are being read even when I try to reinstall windows it can't find any drives!!,! What the hell is going on??.? Did I somehow destroy all three of my drives??.?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELL PLEASE. I HAD A SHIT TON OF GAMES ON MY COMP AND INFO AND NOW IM FUCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom