• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Dreams-Visions said:
Tangent: With all the consoles moving to AMD, do any of you feel like buying AMD PC GPUs will likely result in the best framerates and performance for games that will be ported to/from PC to the next Xbox and PlayStation? I can only assume that the PC gpus will be receiving much of the same tech that the consoles are getting. Shouldn't AMD have an advantage in this way over the next couple of years?

The 360 is already based on amd tech, and ports haven't seen any bias towards amd. Hell, until recently, it seemed like most were performing better on nvidia hardware anyway.

Next gen might be different. Idk.

Echoplx

Just built my brother a new i5/660ti PC and picked up an Asus DirectCU gtx670 for myself :D

Brothers been buying a bunch of Steam games from the sales, can't wait to see his reaction (he's always been a console gamer)

histopher

Hi guys, looking to build a new machine (first time from scratch, have installed each component separately in the past though).
I've filled out the questions below, so any suggestions would be great.
My current PC is OK, it seems to play most games that I buy Ok, handles most of what I want to do, but really struggles with video editing.
I'm not a professional, but I do enjoy it quite a bit so I want this new PC to be able to handle video quite well.
Besides gaming and video editing, I am starting to dabble in 3D modelling, and do illustration/design work as well.
My budget might be higher than what I need, but I have set the money aside so I might as well build something to the best of what I can afford.

Thanks for any help! Questions answered below:

Your Current Specs: INTEL QUAD CORE Q8200 / DDR2 4GB (tho 32bit) / GIGABYTE EP43 Series /1GB GEFORCE 9600GT / 500W P4 ATX HUNTKEY
Budget: $1500 - $2000AUD Australia
Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 5, Video Editing 5, HD Streaming 3, 3D work 4, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: Will require 2 new monitors though may not get these until later, or just get one for now depending on budget.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Nothing too intense really - SSFIV:AE, Sleeping Dogs, SFxTekken, Walking Dead, Arkham City, Sims 3 - 60FPS would be nice. Would love to be able to play Dolphin as well.
Looking to reuse any parts?: WD 500GB SATA HDD, WD 2TB SATA HDD (General downloads and crap)
When will you build? No rush to get this done but would like it in the next month or so.
Will you be overclocking?: No...

Just built my brother a new i5/660ti PC and picked up an Asus DirectCU gtx670 for myself :D

Brothers been buying a bunch of Steam games from the sales, can't wait to see his reaction (he's always been a console gamer)

Thats a great card right there and setup overall. He's going to really enjoy playing most of majority of games maxed out. Good time to be a PC gamer.

Smokey

Hi guys, looking to build a new machine (first time from scratch, have installed each component separately in the past though).
My current PC is OK, it seems to play most games that I buy Ok, handles most of what I want to do, but really struggles with video editing.
I'm not a professional, but I do enjoy it quite a bit so I want this new PC to be able to handle video quite well.
Besides gaming and video editing, I am starting to dabble in 3D modelling, and do illustration/design work as well.
My budget might be higher than what I need, but I have set the money aside so I might as well build something to the best of what I can afford.

Your Current Specs: INTEL QUAD CORE Q8200 / DDR2 4GB (tho 32bit) / GIGABYTE EP43 Series /1GB GEFORCE 9600GT / 500W P4 ATX HUNTKEY
Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 5, Video Editing 5, HD Streaming 3, 3D work 4, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: Will require 2 new monitors though may not get these until later, or just get one for now depending on budget.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Nothing too intense really - SSFIV:AE, Sleeping Dogs, SFxTekken, Walking Dead, Arkham City, Sims 3 - 60FPS would be nice. Would love to be able to play Dolphin as well.
Looking to reuse any parts?: WD 500GB SATA HDD, WD 2TB SATA HDD (General downloads and crap)
When will you build? No rush to get this done but would like it in the next month or so.

Any particular reason you don't want to overclock? You can get to 4.2-4.5ghz by changing two values in BIOS..
Since you have an interest in video, for your processor I'd start by looking at the 3770k. This will give you 4 cores and 8 threads which will help you out in editing. If you want a little more you could step up to the 3930k which will give you 6 cores and 12 threads. The 3930k is really built for what you're looking to do, however it is on a different socket than the 3770k and is more expensive. Would recommend 16GB of RAM either way though.

It's the same problem all Ivy CPUs have I believe. They used TIM instead of solder when attaching the IHS to the core. I ended up throwing an old Scythe III Katana on my 3220 and running it at a lower fan speed, which fixed the problem. It won't overheat, but it's going to run hotter then it really should.

Thanks for the info. I looked into what you said and see other sources agreeing with you. Also, I see some places suggesting that CPUs don't completely idle in the BIOS, don't always fully utilize their ability to lower power consumption, and in general don't measure temperature completely accuracy (erroring on the "hotter than actual" side), so I think I should be a-okay. I'll get Speedfan or Realtemp or Coretemp up and verify things soon.

Sweet Jesus someone help me!!!!!,!,

I tried adding another ssd to my comp and the computer was not reading the ssd so I tried changing the sata port that it was connected to. After that didn't work, I then turned off the combo and try to switch the new ssd in with the old and put the old onto another sata port and my comp was unable to detect either drive. Then I tried putting things back to the we way they were and now my combo can't find any drive except the cd!! I have 2 ssds and a hdd and none are being read even when I try to reinstall windows it can't find any drives!!,! What the hell is going on??.? Did I somehow destroy all three of my drives??.?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELL PLEASE. I HAD A SHIT TON OF GAMES ON MY COMP AND INFO AND NOW IM FUCKED.

do you have an external 2.5" HDD enclosure? If so, put them in that and test them on another computer just to make sure they can be seen.

It's unlikely that the PSU somehow killed them, but that's the best way to find out.

histopher

Any particular reason you don't want to overclock? You can get to 4.2-4.5ghz by changing two values in BIOS..
Since you have an interest in video, for your processor I'd start by looking at the 3770k. This will give you 4 cores and 4 threads which will help you out in editing. If you want a little more you could step up to the 3930k which will give you 6 cores and 12 threads. The 3930k is really built for what you're looking to do, however it is on a different socket than the 3770k and is more expensive. Would recommend 16GB of RAM either way though.

Thanks for the post that was a big help. If I were to overclock, besides the BIOS is there anything else I need to do? Just buy a decent CPU cooler?

Main reason I wasn't looking to overclock was pure ignorance in what is involved. When I first heard of overclocking years ago it sounded like a risky thing to do, which is probably not the case anymore.

DTKT

Thanks for the post that was a big help. If I were to overclock, besides the BIOS is there anything else I need to do? Just buy a decent CPU cooler?

Main reason I wasn't looking to overclock was pure ignorance in what is involved. When I first heard of overclocking years ago it sounded like a risky thing to do, which is probably not the case anymore.

Its really quite easy with a good guide. I just OCed my i5-750 from 2.6 to 3.8. Took me maybe 5 minutes total.

Whooter

Well, shit, I just noticed that my Sapphire 7950 that I just ordered doesn't seem to have the free games deal attached to it now. Did that deal just end or something?

Half the reason I wanted that card was for the games... :(

I think so, that or some retailers are starting to run out of codes or however the process works.

I've been looking at 7950s and 7970s at NCIX the past week and a lot of the models no longer have the free games attached to them - there are only a couple of cards that still seem to include the games.

So tonight I notice that the game coupons are BACK on the Radeon cards at Newegg. I just sent an e-mail to Customer Support in the vain hope they can get me one of them to go with my 7950.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Windforce Gigabyte.

The fan array mine as well be held to the main board by duct tape and prayer. They're held to the array of heat sinks by 4 laughably small screws and plastic joints that those screws mount to. Any pressure around those little joints and I'm sure the assembly will break off.

Pretty disappointing. Otherwise, the performance is excellent. Definitely smoother than my 6950 at the resolutions I play at, and the PhysX stuff that I couldn't see in Borderlands 2 will have me buying Nvidia in the future. What's a few bucks more for these pretty effects on a card I'll have for at least 2 years, you know?

Tangent: With all the consoles moving to AMD, do any of you feel like buying AMD PC GPUs will likely result in the best framerates and performance for games that will be ported to/from PC to the next Xbox and PlayStation? I can only assume that the PC gpus will be receiving much of the same tech that the consoles are getting. Shouldn't AMD have an advantage in this way over the next couple of years?
Pfft. It's not that bad. It's not a 12 point screw backplate system, but it's retail cost and cools like a mofo.

Most studios TMK almost exclusively use nVidia, so I doubt it.
Sweet Jesus someone help me!!!!!,!,

I tried adding another ssd to my comp and the computer was not reading the ssd so I tried changing the sata port that it was connected to. After that didn't work, I then turned off the combo and try to switch the new ssd in with the old and put the old onto another sata port and my comp was unable to detect either drive. Then I tried putting things back to the we way they were and now my combo can't find any drive except the cd!! I have 2 ssds and a hdd and none are being read even when I try to reinstall windows it can't find any drives!!,! What the hell is going on??.? Did I somehow destroy all three of my drives??.?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELL PLEASE. I HAD A SHIT TON OF GAMES ON MY
COMP AND INFO AND NOW IM FUCKED.
Take your data drive and set it aside while you are working on getting your OS drive ready. It most likely is all recoverable if you need the info.

What is your PSU/Mobo?
Are the SATA ports enabled in the BIOS? Is RAID enabled?
Does reinstalling the chipset adapter in Windows show the drives? Does Disk Management show the drives?
It's also possible the partitions got wiped and you need to restore them.

:D

Start with the Enthusiast build. See what you can't find in AUS and report back.
You want to overclock to get full speed on some emulators.

I fixed my flickering issue.

I uninstalled CCC Manager.
Uninstalled MSI Afterburner.
Uninstalled .Net Framework 4.

Restarted the computer.

Re installed .Net Framework 4.
Installed the latest AMD drivers 12.10.

Restarted the computer and voila. Not sure if MSI Afterburner was the issue but I figured I would try.

Edit: I figured I would ask here. I plan on buying a 3D monitor to do some 3D gaming soon. Any monitor that is recommended? Also do AMD users still have to use third party drivers for 3D?

Was planning to pick up this monitor.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The newer GPU's coming in 2014, will they use a new socket? I know memory will get faster but I hate to think of having to upgrade my MB/CPU so soon just to support a new GPU. I would assume that we will be getting PCIe 3.0 variants like the old AGP->PCIe migration?

Reviews sound solid. Bought.

I'm looking into getting a 690 or 7990 and that PSU would suffice as well. Will keep that in my PC bookmarks for future use.

Take your data drive and set it aside while you are working on getting your OS drive ready. It most likely is all recoverable if you need the info.

Ok so take out my original ssd with windows 8 out of the comp?

What is your PSU/Mobo?

My mobo is a MSI p67a-gd65 and my psu is a corsair 850w. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

So you know, both ssds are detected by the computer if the sata cable from the psu is attached as well as the sata going to the mobo, that wasn't the case before. When tried to get the Samsung ssd to work when it wasn't being detected by the comp or windows I attached the psu sata cable as was shown in the instruction picture that came with the ssd and that is when it seems the other problems with the other drives started. What did I do?

Are the SATA ports enabled in the BIOS? Is RAID enabled?

The sata ports are enabled as IDE in the bios. But when I look ata the system status it shows every sata port connection as "not present" except the network adapter and the ODD.

Does reinstalling the chipset adapter in Windows show the drives? HowDoes Disk Management show the drives?
It's also possible the partitions got wiped and you need to restore them.

How do I reinstall the chipset adapter? If by disk management you mean the screen in the bios section that show you your status of your ports it then it shows nothing except the ODD. How wold I restore the partitions?

I tried even clearing the CMOS and still no dice, drives only show up if psu sata is attached but still it does not allow me to boot to windows with my original ssd instead it brings me to " please select a drive to boot from press any key when ready". Even when I try to repair via windows cd it does pny show the drives unless the psu sata is connected and even then it says it cannot restore the drive with windows because it is locked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm devastated right now

mkenyon

Banned
The sata ports are enabled as IDE in the bios. But when I look ata the system status it shows every sata port connection as "not present" except the network adapter and the ODD.
Set them to AHCI.
The newer GPU's coming in 2014, will they use a new socket? I know memory will get faster but I hate to think of having to upgrade my MB/CPU so soon just to support a new GPU. I would assume that we will be getting PCIe 3.0 variants like the old AGP->PCIe migration?

I'm looking into getting a 690 or 7990 and that PSU would suffice as well. Will keep that in my PC bookmarks for future use.
All variants of PCI-E are forwards and backwards compatible. The only thing that changes is the amount of bandwidth. Think 10/100/1000mpbs ethernet.

Are you comfortable with creating your own SLI/Crossfire profiles? Do you enjoy tinkering with lots of settings to get things to work as they should? If the answer to either of these is no, avoid the 690 and 7990.

Just a small update from my last posting, including the change in processor and motherboard. I also went to look at my case in person, and sadly I was not impressed. Too flimsy, too cheap-looking on the front. Maybe because it was a demo model it didn't look the best it could, but I've decided to figure out something else. Temporarily picked one for the parts list I found I was okay with, but going to look around more before deciding.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uP7M

Total: $1417.74 (With $95 in additional rebates if I finish buying by 12/30

That's a lot closer to my budget, I'm pretty happy with the price. Now it's just a matter of making sure I'm happy with all the parts, and that they'll work together nicely.

Plasmid

What's the best way to store steam games so they'll load at good times?

I have a 3 TB external hard drive that uses USB 3, and i partitioned 1.1 TB of it for steam games on a NTFS partition. It's USB 3.0 and my motherboard has USB 3.0 ports, but it seems like that wouldn't be good? So what's a good way to do it?

Sullichin

Ok, asked this a couple pages back but didn't get a response, so apologies for clogging up the thread with it again.

I got this monitor for christmas -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A3KFB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Viewsonic 27" 1080p LED)

It's got a dead pixel. I'm wondering if I should exchange it for the same monitor (I like it otherwise), or if there's a better one in the price range - I'll spend up to $350. Any ideas? Main purpose of the monitor is gaming of course.

kharma45

Just a small update from my last posting, including the change in processor and motherboard. I also went to look at my case in person, and sadly I was not impressed. Too flimsy, too cheap-looking on the front. Maybe because it was a demo model it didn't look the best it could, but I've decided to figure out something else. Temporarily picked one for the parts list I found I was okay with, but going to look around more before deciding.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uP7M

Total: $1417.74 (With $95 in additional rebates if I finish buying by 12/30

That's a lot closer to my budget, I'm pretty happy with the price. Now it's just a matter of making sure I'm happy with all the parts, and that they'll work together nicely.

I'd probably swap your PSU for this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Much more respected brand, 80+ Gold and if you're using a single GPU more than enough power.

mkenyon

Banned
If you weren't happy with the NZXT build quality, I'd say pass on the Antec. If you want well built and quiet, check out the Fractal Define R4 or BitFenix Ghost. If you want something that is just really nice with lots of options, check out the Lian Li PC-7HX, Fractal Arc Midi, and CoolerMaster 690II.

I've just about finished up with a BitFenix Ghost review, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The Define R4 has this intangible thing that just makes me like it more, maybe because it's just heavier or more solid. But really, it's a toss up between the two when it comes to $100 quiet cases.

As others have pointed out, I'd pass on that OCZ PSU. The Seasonic linked above is a stupid good PSU. I'm not kidding when I say that between myself and my friend (who swap parts back and forth with), we have 5 of those X650s. I use one on my test bench as well. Best PSU ever.

Get this 670 instead.
What's the best way to store steam games so they'll load at good times?

I have a 3 TB external hard drive that uses USB 3, and i partitioned 1.1 TB of it for steam games on a NTFS partition. It's USB 3.0 and my motherboard has USB 3.0 ports, but it seems like that wouldn't be good? So what's a good way to do it?
Not on an external drive :p

You could open up your external drive enclosure and just pull out the HDD, put it into your system.
Ok, asked this a couple pages back but didn't get a response, so apologies for clogging up the thread with it again.

I got this monitor for christmas -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A3KFB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Viewsonic 27" 1080p LED)

It's got a dead pixel. I'm wondering if I should exchange it for the same monitor (I like it otherwise), or if there's a better one in the price range - I'll spend up to $350. Any ideas? Main purpose of the monitor is gaming of course.
120hz. Samsung S23A700/750/950D, BenQ XL2420T, ASUS 120hz.

---------------------------------------------------
*edit*

Some pretty good deals on a few Lian Li cases on the egg right now. The V700 is a pretty unique case that can fit full ATX builds in mATX form factor. My V700 is currently hosting a file server with 7 HDDs, previously held my full on gaming machine. I paid $230 for this guy day one, now it is $135 for the window/black interior version, and $112 for the standard black exterior/silver interior version.

SADzk.jpg

Next to the 600T

DTKT

So, I just overclocked my i5-750 to 3.7 from 2.6 and it's great. I'm using a 185 bus speed and a 20x multiplier. Though, I have a couple of questions!

- The CPU doesn't downclock itself anymore. It stays at 3.7 even if there is nothing running. It makes the fan on the Hyper212 somewhat spazzy as it's revving up and down at random moments. Anything I can do about that?
- I have half a second of screen flicker when I login. It seems to be related to the Windows login screen. Never had an issue anywhere else. Should I worry about that or just ignore it?
- Vcore voltage : I have the P55a-Ud4p and I let the MB handle the voltage. I've read and that it slightly overvolts the CPU. Any danger in that? Could it be related to the screen flicker?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Set them to AHCI.

All variants of PCI-E are forwards and backwards compatible. The only thing that changes is the amount of bandwidth. Think 10/100/1000mpbs ethernet.

Are you comfortable with creating your own SLI/Crossfire profiles? Do you enjoy tinkering with lots of settings to get things to work as they should? If the answer to either of these is no, avoid the 690 and 7990.

The answer is no lol

Not that I'm unwilling but it's really up in the air. I can try and splurge on 2 7970's and am looking at 2 680's BUT my MB says on CF so until I try it out, I won't know. Others have said SLI works even if the MB doesn't specify so that's one of the main reasons I'm not looking at 2 680's more seriously.

Sullichin

120hz. Samsung S23A700/750/950D, BenQ XL2420T, ASUS 120hz.

Thanks!
120hz 27" monitors are over my price range but I'm thinking of splurging....now I'm looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00906HM6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I rarely ever get over 60fps in any of my games, so does the increased refresh rate still matter?

Also, I have an HD7870, but all the 3D stuff for that monitor says Nvidia. Could I still eventually buy a 3D kit with the glasses that will work with my AMD card + this monitor? I'm not *that* interested in 3D though.

Finally, refresh rates aside, do you the general IQ be better on this than the one I have? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A3KFB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

Thanks for your help

Plasmid

Not on an external drive :p

You could open up your external drive enclosure and just pull out the HDD, put it into your system.

I bought a 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB Drive, considering it will more than likely house my games, while keeping my music etc on my external, would load times be shit?

Akkad

Banned
Is heat an issue with the Bitfenix Prodigy? I'm thinking about getting one for my next build (probably 6 months from now) because I really love the design but I want to overclock as well.

Decado

Is heat an issue with the Bitfenix Prodigy? I'm thinking about getting one for my next build (probably 6 months from now) because I really love the design but I want to overclock as well.

I hope not! I haven't tried ocing yet, but head and noise is good so far.

Decado

Merry Christmas all !

video files should be 5.1 as well when you select SPDIF out as decoder

you need a soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live for gaming in 5.1 over optical ... but with only 2 PCI slots in the Prodigy (probably taken by your graphics card) your only option seems to be the Asus Xonar U1
I have Realtek Optical Out selected. No option for SPDIF.

Anyone know where I can find the above product in Canada (or an equivalent)? I'm striking out.

Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
The answer is no lol

Not that I'm unwilling but it's really up in the air. I can try and splurge on 2 7970's and am looking at 2 680's BUT my MB says on CF so until I try it out, I won't know. Others have said SLI works even if the MB doesn't specify so that's one of the main reasons I'm not looking at 2 680's more seriously.
So you understand, a 690 = two 680s on one piece of PCB, and 7990 = two 7970s on one piece of PCB. In either case, you are going to be dealing with SLI and Crossfire profiles.

Just get a single card, and then upgrade it two years down the road.
Thanks!
120hz 27" monitors are over my price range but I'm thinking of splurging....now I'm looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00906HM6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I rarely ever get over 60fps in any of my games, so does the increased refresh rate still matter?

Also, I have an HD7870, but all the 3D stuff for that monitor says Nvidia. Could I still eventually buy a 3D kit with the glasses that will work with my AMD card + this monitor? I'm not *that* interested in 3D though.

Finally, refresh rates aside, do you the general IQ be better on this than the one I have? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A3KFB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

Thanks for your help
How about this one?.

I think 27" 1080p monitors degrade IQ. The pixels are so huge! In general, Samsung>ASUS>BenQ when it comes to colors of the best 120hz monitors.

If you aren't getting over 60fps, you probably either have vsync on, or you just need to turn down a few options to get there.
I bought a 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB Drive, considering it will more than likely house my games, while keeping my music etc on my external, would load times be shit?
It'll be golden. Though "shit" is very subjective in this case.
No. The size and fan options make it a better cooled system than a lot of mid towers. The stock fans are meh on airflow, but nice and quiet, and will suit most systems just fine. If you are unhappy with the temps/airflow, grab an extra fan or two, or replace them entirely.
I have Realtek Optical Out selected. No option for SPDIF.

Anyone know where I can find the above product in Canada (or an equivalent)? I'm striking out.

Thanks.
itx boards only have a single expansion slot. You can't add a card if you already have a video card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaser pic from the Ghost Review:

Decado

itx boards only have a single expansion slot. You can't add a card if you already have a video card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaser pic from the Ghost Review:

Yeah, hence the product n0n44m suggested. It is external. Problem is I can't find it!

Lkr

My brother has a haf912 and the biostar z77 in the OP. when he plugs in headphones to the front, they work fine, but when he plugs in the microphone next to it, the headphones no longer work. Anyone know what's going on?

Akai__

Wanted to build a PC in a black and orange combo with this mainboard, this case and with some water cooling with orange tubes and other parts in orange/black.

Problem is, that PC part picker says, that the mainboard isn't compatible with this case and now I have to choose an other. :(

My question is, if somebody knows an other PC case, which looks similar to the Cougar Solution?

And by the way, from were are you guys ordering your water cooling parts, like tubes, reservoir, pump etc?

Czigga

Hey guys quick question. I currently have a radeon 4890 on my GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 mobo with Intel i7-860 2.8 ghz. I wanted to upgrade to a Radeon 7850 to cover me for the next year or so until I decide to do a full rebuild. But the 7850 has pcie 3.0. My mobo only supports up to pcie 2.0. I've read that it's backwards compatible but wanted to confirm with the Gaf pro's and make sure I won't take too big a performance hit / waste my money.

Also, if anyone has any video card suggestions in $150-$200 price range that might be better than the 7850 I'm all ears.

kennah

Hey guys quick question. I currently have a radeon 4890 on my GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 mobo with Intel i7-860 2.8 ghz. I wanted to upgrade to a Radeon 7850 to cover me for the next year or so until I decide to do a full rebuild. But the 7850 has pcie 3.0. My mobo only supports up to pcie 2.0. I've read that it's backwards compatible but wanted to confirm with the Gaf pro's and make sure I won't take too big a performance hit / waste my money.

Also, if anyone has any video card suggestions in $150-$200 price range that might be better than the 7850 I'm all ears.

You'll be fine. Nothing really uses extra bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 yet except maybe the 690.

Madridy

Question about Windows 8 Upgrade:

I've built my PC in September with an OEM copy of Windows 7, and I'm looking to buy the $15 upgrade for Win8.

Is this possible with my copy of windows?

Also it is asking me for the brand of the PC, but my PC is assembled, so should I just put the motherboard's brand?

I'm not planning to actually upgrade, but just buy it for that price.

MrBig

Wanted to build a PC in a black and orange combo with this mainboard, this case and with some water cooling with orange tubes and other parts in orange/black.

Problem is, that PC part picker says, that the mainboard isn't compatible with this case and now I have to choose an other. :(

That mobo is an ATX board, and the case does support ATX, it will work. Spending $200-$300 extra just for the colors on that mobo is questionable though...

mkenyon

Banned

My question is, if somebody knows an other PC case, which looks similar to the Cougar Solution?

And by the way, from were are you guys ordering your water cooling parts, like tubes, reservoir, pump etc?
1) Don't short yourself on a case purchase because it has a few orange adornments. Those Cougar cases are all pretty bad. Get creative, some nice spray paint, and create your own. There was no white and green case for my main build, so I spent a bit of time with the Shinobi XL and came up with this.

You can order orange specific badges and mesh strips for the Shinobi XL as well. If you are in Europe, CaseKing.de should have the Shinobi XL accessories.

2) I've been playing around with the UP7 for the past week, and this is a seriously amazing board. I loooooooooooooove it.

3) If, again, you are in euro, then Aquatuning is pretty much the go-to shop. In the US, it's FrozenCPU, Performance PC's, and Sidewinder are the big ones.

Also, if you are going full on watercooling, do give a look to Mayhem's Pastel Gigabyte Orange. Made to exactly match the hue of Gigabyte's UP7/UD7 color scheme.

If you need help picking out the parts and whatnot, let me know. Here's a little inspiration for you.
That mobo is an ATX board, and the case does support ATX, it will work. Spending $200-$300 extra just for the colors on that mobo is questionable though...
It's technically E-ATX, so it's a few extra inches wider. Check out the pic above for how much it covers the cable management holes. Normal ATX would clear those with about an inch of space.

Akai__

Actually, I saw the mobo, before I decided to go with this build. Do you think it is overpriced?

MrBig

It's technically E-ATX, so it's a few extra inches wider. Check out the pic above for how much it covers the cable management holes. Normal ATX would clear those with about an inch of space.

Ah, just saw ATX in the description

Actually, I saw the mobo, before I decided to go with this build. Do you think it is overpriced?

I don't know anything about that board or how much money you have to play with to put it in to perspective, but it's a lot more expensive than other options.

mkenyon

Banned
It's not overpriced if you are a tinkerer/enthusiast. It can honestly take processors further than they can go with other motherboards. It is extremely overpriced if you're just trying to build a gaming PC that will be left alone.

Akai__

It's not overpriced if you are a tinkerer/enthusiast. It can honestly take processors further than they can go with other motherboards. It is extremely overpriced if you're just trying to build a gaming PC that will be left alone.

Is Cougar really that bad? I absolutely love the way it looks (inside and outside of it). Saw some unboxings of it, so I don't really know...

I will use that PC mainly for gaming and for some video editing and it won't be left alone, I promise. ;)

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Will PM you or post here, if I have problems with something.

Edit: Holy shit at that thread, which you posted for inspiration. Looks awesome!

mkenyon

Banned
Is Cougar really that bad? I absolutely love the way it looks (inside and outside of it). Saw some unboxings of it, so I don't really know...

I will use that PC mainly for gaming and for some video editing and it won't be left alone, I promise. ;)

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Will PM you or post here, if I have problems with something.

Edit: Holy shit at that thread, which you posted for inspiration. Looks awesome!
If you are interested in watercooling, the number one consideration is the case, as it determines what kind of hardware and radiators you can put in your system. The short list for good watercooling cases under $200: Fractal Arc Midi, BitFenix Shinobi XL, NZXT Switch 810, CoolerMaster Trooper/Stryker, CM HAF XM.

Little Devil, which is my favorite case maker, is located in Ljubljana (as is EK Waterblocks), so prices shouldn't be nearly as bad for you if you are in HR as your name suggests. The build I posted for inspiration is in a LD PC-V8. The V7 is pretty famazing as well, probably my #1 favorite case.

Akai__

If you are interested in watercooling, the number one consideration is the case, as it determines what kind of hardware and radiators you can put in your system. The short list for good watercooling cases under $200: Fractal Arc Midi, BitFenix Shinobi XL, NZXT Switch 810, CoolerMaster Trooper/Stryker, CM HAF XM.

Little Devil, which is my favorite case maker, is located in Ljubljana (as is EK Waterblocks), so prices shouldn't be nearly as bad for you if you are in HR as your name suggests. The build I posted for inspiration is in a LD PC-V8. The V7 is pretty famazing as well, probably my #1 favorite case.

Ah, okay. So it is a matter of space. I'm a little bit scared, because it will be the first time, that I'll build the PC on my own. I know, from many others, that this can be frustrating, but if you have it done, you will feel very good about it, so I'm really looking forward to it and now that I know, where to look at, things will be much easier.

Btw, I'm from Croatia, but I live in Germany. :)

Varna

Sorry, I meant to post specifics.

Heats wise, overclocking, what kind of performance increases in general. I got some extra cash and the upgrade bug has hit me. I know I should wait for Haswell, but I can't really find any info on it.

I was easily able to OC my 2500k to 4.7 and get really good temps with my Corsair h100. Would that still be feasibly with the 3770k?

DTKT

So, I just overclocked my i5-750 to 3.7 from 2.6 and it's great. I'm using a 185 bus speed and a 20x multiplier. Though, I have a couple of questions!

- The CPU doesn't downclock itself anymore. It stays at 3.7 even if there is nothing running. It makes the fan on the Hyper212 somewhat spazzy as it's revving up and down at random moments. Anything I can do about that?
- I have half a second of screen flicker when I login. It seems to be related to the Windows login screen. Never had an issue anywhere else. Should I worry about that or just ignore it?
- Vcore voltage : I have the P55a-Ud4p and I let the MB handle the voltage. I've read and that it slightly overvolts the CPU. Any danger in that? Could it be related to the screen flicker?

Anyone ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom