• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, Windows knows what files to look for for and where, so it just grabs the unpacked stuff in C:\NVIDIA\.

Not only that, but if you go to install new drivers over the old ones, it can actually corrupt the installation process with both sets of files unpacked to the same place.

It's situations like this where those 'too complicated' arguments are certainly spot on about the platform.

NoRéN

I am out of my mind here. I have reapplied the thermal paste, went and bought the highest quality thermal paste, went and bought a NEW processor, used the stock cooler, and still nothing. I'm out almost $300 and still have this problem. I'm just about ready to quit PC gaming I'm so frustrated. Can anyone help me please? I would really appreciate it.

Bad motherboard? It happened to me. I wouldn't get video, then it worked for a day or two before it stopped working.

mkenyon

Banned
I am out of my mind here. I have reapplied the thermal paste, went and bought the highest quality thermal paste, went and bought a NEW processor, used the stock cooler, and still nothing. I'm out almost $300 and still have this problem. I'm just about ready to quit PC gaming I'm so frustrated. Can anyone help me please? I would really appreciate it.
Yeah, sounds like a motherboard RMA is in order.

*edit*

Out of curiosity, what were your temps?

vazel

Banned
When I had unexplainable stability problems it turned out to be a motherboard problem. The CPU, GPU, and RAM passed stability tests for 12-24hrs and I'd still get random crashes while gaming.

Edit: In your case it could maybe be a PSU issue.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Try some older nVidia drivers to see if those work. If it works all good on 7... There's a reason I dislike 8.
Thinking about building a new PC...are the Standard/Enhanced builds on the front page still viable builds, or will the 2013 edition have some updated builds?
Will barely change. Possibly a mobo swap on the $50-$85 boards that are more in stock now (B75, etc)
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help the past few weeks. I finished my build and everything seems to be working great. I will work on overclocking it in a week or two, but it is great to finally have it done.

Here it is:

AAVwo.jpg
Looks great!
Assemble it outside the case with bare minimum (CPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU) and see if it posts. Hook an HDD to a port and see if it boots, try another SATA port.
Decided to go with a BenQ XL2420T for the monitor. Hello 120 hz.
Blessing and a curse. Enjoy.

Omega

Banned
dumb question, but can I mix different size memory?

Originally was just going to go with 8GB(2x4GB) but when I ordered my graphics card, it came with free 4GB (2x2GB)

wondering if I can actually use it

Karmum

Banned
I imagine the 700 series isn't coming out anytime soon, right? I was guessing maybe late 2013 or early 2014, was hoping sooner than later because it seems like one of my 460s is about to die, but if it's closer to later I guess I'm not going to wait and I'll upgrade to a 670 soon.

Also, are there any places that accept trade-in video cards? I feel like I'll end up having these video cards go to waste without getting any cash for them.

mkenyon

Banned
I imagine the 700 series isn't coming out anytime soon, right? I was guessing maybe late 2013 or early 2014, was hoping sooner than later because it seems like one of my 460s is about to die, but if it's closer to later I guess I'm not going to wait and I'll upgrade to a 670 soon.

Also, are there any places that accept trade-in video cards? I feel like I'll end up having these video cards go to waste without getting any cash for them.
Sell them on HardOCP, Ebay, Craigslist, or GAF.

zulfate

This issue happened to me when i got a new motherboard.....it ended being the damn power supply broke down but you should slowly check everything like the other gaffers said because my friend didn't put on the cpu fan right and it will randomly restart and he didnt know what it could be and it was the cpu fan.....good luck it can be frustrating when you dont have a simple way to find out what isnt working.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
When are the new ATi cards due out? In the next couple of months? I'm thinking of upgrading basically everything in my machine. But if new cards are going to be out in a couple of months, I'll probably just use my 5850 until then.

Joining in on the Video Card woes it looks like mine is on it's way out as well. Certain games will pause, flash black for a moment then reappear giving the notification that the AMD driver has crashed and been reset.

After a bunch of work cleaning drivers, testing ram, installing a clean copy of Windows 8 I swapped out my gpu for a lower ATI card (4350 from 5570) and don't encounter the issue at all. Too bad I'm half a year past the end of my warrenty.

Anyways I was wondering what's my best course of action here in terms of getting a (decently cheap) replacement to last me the next couple of years before I build a new PC. Is there a more efficient card that has similar requirements to the 5770 or has everything simply outpaced my setup? Many of the cards I keep seeing are 500+ watts. Could I just upgrade the power supply or could that cause damage to my other components seeing as it was speced for the 460 watt one?

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 820(2.8GHz) Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor Cache Per Processor 4 x 512KB L2 Cache

this is my CPU ^
i am pretty sure i want to purchase a evga 4GB 680 gtx FTW along with a 750W PSU, ive got 6gigs of DDR3 ram so no problem there

i just want to make sure if it would be okay to leave my CPU as is or upgrade to an i5 or i7, i don't know what signs to look for that tell me my setup is ''bottle-necked''

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh? How so?
Stretching to 120FPS usually reduces video quality more than 60 :p
Although I am quite happy with how 80+ feels.
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 820(2.8GHz) Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor Cache Per Processor 4 x 512KB L2 Cache

this is my CPU ^
i am pretty sure i want to purchase a evga 4GB 680 gtx FTW along with a 750W PSU, ive got 6gigs of DDR3 ram so no problem there

i just want to make sure if it would be okay to leave my CPU as is or upgrade to an i5 or i7, i don't know what signs to look for that tell me my setup is ''bottle-necked''
An i5 3570K with a 660Ti or 7950 would be a much wiser upgrade for the money.
Joining in on the Video Card woes it looks like mine is on it's way out as well. Certain games will pause, flash black for a moment then reappear giving the notification that the AMD driver has crashed and been reset.

After a bunch of work cleaning drivers, testing ram, putting on a clean install of Windows 8 I swap out for a lower ATI card (4350 from 5570) and don't encounter the issue at all. Too bad I'm half a year past the end of my warrenty.

Anyways I was wondering what's my best course of action here in terms of getting a (decently cheap) replacement to last me the next couple of years before I build a new PC. Is there a more efficient card that has similar requirements to the 5770 or has everything simply outpaced my setup? Many of the cards I keep seeing are 500+ watts. Could I just upgrade the power supply or could that cause damage to my other components seeing as it was speced for the 460 watt one?

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
Your 460w is older and delivers much less than 460W usable. (320W on 12V). Luckily that's still enough for your relatively low power PC, but nowhere near ideal. I'd drop in a 7850 (30w more max draw, or 7770 for same power draw as your 5770) if you are looking at an upgrade, then get a BP550 when you can afford it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=549

scogoth

this is my CPU ^

I'm going to go with most if not all modern games will be bottlenecked by that CPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I impulsively ordered this mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4FY4U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
31WpGnuvJuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm currently using a G9x but I'm not loving it. I saw this as a recommendation for a narrower fingertip style mouse, which should fit my grip better. Fingers crossed!
Want to sell me the G9x? I got a Sensei RAW and don't really like it (Hand rests funny). Or we could trade :p
Buying new feet for G9 instead. Mice are complicated with sensors so I'm just gonna spend $10 on the used G9 I got for 20 bucks.

Looks like it's just for OEMs (aka new car model). Probably some minor tweaks for 5-10% more performance/watt.

New new cards will be later, maybe Q2.

Saw the OEM but thought they would be similar to the retail parts.

If they are essentially rebadging for pre built PCs (LOL) then the chance for the real shit is back on.

Koroviev

I'm looking to do a fairly straightforward upgrade of a few key parts, namely the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I think I'm ready for this brave quad-core future if I'm not too late already. I'd like to keep it around $300, although I know this is a bit over with taxes and all that good stuff.

Anyway, am I all good on the compatibility front? Any parts that raise a red flag?

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470

Motherboard: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm not keen on overclocking. I don't know much about picking out motherboards, so I just searched for one with an H77 Intel chipset, which is compatible with the 3470 as per Intel's website.

Oh, and here's what else will be hooked up to the motherboard:

- GTX 460 (768 MB)
- 500W Corsair PSU
- 1TB HDD (7200 RPM)

So, nothing too fancy. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm looking to do a fairly straightforward upgrade of a few key parts, namely the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I think I'm ready for this brave quad-core future if I'm not too late already. I'd like to keep it around $300, although I know this is a bit over with taxes and all that good stuff.

Anyway, am I all good on the compatibility front? Any parts that raise a red flag?

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470

Motherboard: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm not keen on overclocking. I don't know much about picking out motherboards, so I just searched for one with an H77 Intel chipset, which is compatible with the 3470 as per Intel's website.

Oh, and here's what else will be hooked up to the motherboard:

- GTX 460 (768 MB)
- 500W Corsair PSU
- 1TB HDD (7200 RPM)

So, nothing too fancy. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Go with the GAF standard for RAM, it's cheaper, and better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

Edit: WELL DONE MEN, WE CLEANED OUT NEWEGG

barbecue01.jpg

Anton668

for as many times as ppl have to be reminded of the samsung memory in this thread maybe we should just start posting it at the top of every page... :)

(and then wait for our commission checks)

edit: out of stock? that should be one hell of a check eh? lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good man! But wouldn't I be better off with the lower latency of the Corsair RAM? It's about the same price if you factor in the $7 promo code.
No, you can set the latencies lower and raise the clock higher.
Not that it matters since it's like a 1% boost and you aren't going to overclock.

Get a 3570K for $5 more. You can actually resell the chip then and it's a good bit faster at stock to boot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Koroviev

No, you can set the latencies lower and raise the clock higher.
Not that it matters since it's like a 1% boost and you aren't going to overclock.

Get a 3570K for $5 more. You can actually resell the chip then and it's a good bit faster at stock to boot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Oh cool, didn't see that gift card thing. When would I receive it? Ideal scenario would be turning around and applying it toward the motherboard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh cool, didn't see that gift card thing. When would I receive it? Ideal scenario would be turning around and applying it toward the motherboard.
No idea! Buy the CPU and see what happens :p
I'd imagine it would be a code, but I could be wrong. Might take them a few days to get it to you to stop that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The order isn't looking too shabby on Amazon with the 3570K and the Samsung memory. Any suggestions for a Prime-eligible motherboard? Looking to spend less than $100. Just needs to be compatible, really.

Edit: How about this?

ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (H77M)
I'd use it. Just test onboard video out and hook it up bare minimum to see if it's DOA or not on arrival (Honestly something more people should do).

I was using the $55 H61 board and had no issues with it powering a modest system and moving it around.

Koroviev

I'd use it. Just test onboard video out and hook it up bare minimum to see if it's DOA or not on arrival (Honestly something more people should do).

I was using the $55 H61 board and had no issues with it powering a modest system and moving it around.

I think I'm going to order this part from Newegg:

ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Very probably the same thing, although there is more info. And isn't the H61 chipset designed for the SB models?

Edit: Hmm, well Amazon does have Prime going for it...it would be nice to have everything by the end of the week. I'm just wondering why there aren't any reviews for it on there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think I'm going to order this part from Newegg:

ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Very probably the same thing, although there is more info. And isn't the H61 chipset designed for the SB models?

Edit: Hmm, well Amazon does have Prime going for it...it would be nice to have everything by the end of the week. I'm just wondering why there aren't any reviews for it on there.
Less people buy on Amazon. I buy everything computer on there with Prime and no hassle returns. Way better than Newegg, but lacking the reviews.
Just nab it and go!

DeSo

Banned
Another question guys, both these RAM modules are the same price.

2x4 G Skill ARES 1600 9-9-9-2N
2x4 G Skill ARES 1866 9-10-9-2N

For an Ivy system, go with the 1866?

(The Samsung stuff isn't available here)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haha, okay. So, I think this is my final order:

jO3rgwWD99ZFr.png

All good? :>
Should be fine. Just make sure about what I said above and that both RAM slots work.

I actually should take the H61 board off now from the OP I have up there...
Another question guys, both these RAM modules are the same price.

2x4 G Skill ARES 1600 9-9-9-2N
2x4 G Skill ARES 1866 9-10-9-2N

For an Ivy system, go with the 1866?

(The Samsung stuff isn't available here)
Whatever is 1.5V. If both are, then 1866 sticks.
I just wanted to say that installing the Hyper 212 Evo was the hardest part of building my PC and took the most time.
Yeah the twisty bracket even threw me for a loop.

Koroviev

Should be fine. Just make sure about what I said above and that both RAM slots work.

Awesome. I have to test new towers at work everyday, so I think I can handle it ;)

Only thing I need to review is installing a CPU...I've only done that a couple of times.

I'm interested in purchasing an SSD drive, any recco's?

Also, how should I use it to get the most out of it? I'm a bit unaware of all their benefits as they're 'new tech' to me. They don't seem to come with a lot of storage space . . . Should I install the OS to it, as well as games I play a lot, and then use my other 2TB drive to install games that I don't play too much?

I'm interested in purchasing an SSD drive, any recco's?

Also, how should I use it to get the most out of it? I'm a bit unaware of all their benefits as they're 'new tech' to me. They don't seem to come with a lot of storage space . . . Should I install the OS to it, as well as games I play a lot, and then use my other 2TB drive to install games that I don't play too much?

Samsung 830 (if you can find one), Samsung 840 pro (kind of pricey due to it being new, there is the non pro version called Samsung 840 but some dont seem too hot on it), Crucial M4 (if the first 2 choices are not in your reach) are the choices that go around in this thread.

Other mentions are Intels, Kingston (IIRC) and avoid OCZ (although their new model called "Vector" is supposed to be really good now)

As for your other question: yes you can do just that and a program called steammover will allow you to move around your installed steam games (other stuff as well iirc).

For me personally it was a game changer due to OS boot times since i was used to that being slow and even now i will still be suprised. Games wise i haven't seen much of a difference imo but other posters may have better info to share.

Samsung 830 (if you can find one), Samsung 840 pro (kind of pricey due to it being new, there is the non pro version called Samsung 840 but some dont seem too hot on it), Crucial M4 (if the first 2 choices are not in your reach) are the choices that go around in this thread.

Other mentions are Intels, Kingston (IIRC) and avoid OCZ (although their new model called "Vector" is supposed to be really good now)

As for your other question: yes you can do just that and a program called steammover will allow you to move around your installed steam games (other stuff as well iirc).

For me personally it was a game changer due to OS boot times since i was used to that being slow and even now i will still be suprised. Games wise i haven't seen much of a difference imo but other posters may have better info to share.

Cool, thanks for the info. They have the 830 on Amazon, and I think I might pull the trigger.

So besides using this as my OS drive, what are the other advantages. I do a lot of Dxtory recording, and I'm sure it'll help with that. Can anyone provide a link/more info on its advantages so I can educate myself a little more?

Also, is it desirable to have all my apps (like adobe CS) on the SSD drive, or shoul I use the secondary drive for that?

Your 460w is older and delivers much less than 460W usable. (320W on 12V). Luckily that's still enough for your relatively low power PC, but nowhere near ideal. I'd drop in a 7850 (30w more max draw, or 7770 for same power draw as your 5770) if you are looking at an upgrade, then get a BP550 when you can afford it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=549

Is it possible my video cards crashing is caused by only having 320W usable? There's a Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply that came for my buddies computer. I wonder if I'll still have the same problem if I drop that one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom