• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson

Only you can answer that.

$450 isn't a big deal for some. For others, it would be a lot of money.
I have $150 of amazon gift cards I got for Christmas so it would be cheaper than that.

But I was wondering if the extra power would be worth it for 1080p.

SimonM7

Yeah, that's the first sign of a dying GPU.

Might still be under warranty?

Yeah, I just realised it is. It's covered by a three year warranty and I got it around christmas 2010. I'm gonna call the place I bought it tomorrow.

The weird thing is just how long it's been doing the checkerboard pattern thing without affecting performance or visuals in games at all. For all intents and purposes it's a fully functioning card, but in windows it randomly causes this corruption. Very odd.

I googled it, and someone was saying that some radeon cards are downclocked too much in idle, basically "choking" the card. I couldn't find any other posts/claims to back him up, though.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I just realised it is. It's covered by a three year warranty and I got it around christmas 2010. I'm gonna call the place I bought it tomorrow.

The weird thing is just how long it's been doing the checkerboard pattern thing without affecting performance or visuals in games at all. For all intents and purposes it's a fully functioning card, but in windows it randomly causes this corruption. Very odd.

I googled it, and someone was saying that some radeon cards are downclocked too much in idle, basically "choking" the card. I couldn't find any other posts/claims to back him up, though.
If you do RMA, you'll want to do it through the manufacturer.

But, something you could try doing is downloading MSI afterburner or sapphire trixx and just upping the voltage a little bit.
I have $150 of amazon gift cards I got for Christmas so it would be cheaper than that.

But I was wondering if the extra power would be worth it for 1080p.
Look at some benchmark comparisons and decide for yourself. Most would say no, but some would say yes.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/517?vs=555

ZetaEpyon

What are people currently liking for mice?

I'm looking at buying two new ones - one for my desktop at home, and one for at work. Getting phantom double-clicks on the one at work (cheapish Logitech wireless laser), and the buttons on the one at home (Logitech MX620) are just getting plain worn out.

NoRéN

What are people currently liking for mice?

I'm looking at buying two new ones - one for my desktop at home, and one for at work. Getting phantom double-clicks on the one at work (cheapish Logitech wireless laser), and the buttons on the one at home (Logitech MX620) are just getting plain worn out.

Did you check out the recommended list in the OP?

The CM Storm Spawn looks real good and not too expensive.

centracore

Does anyone know offhand if I need to thermal paste for the installation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? I understand that some after market heat sinks have thermal pads and such on them, but not sure about this one.

NoRéN

Does anyone know offhand if I need to thermal paste for the installation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? I understand that some after market heat sinks have thermal pads and such on them, but not sure about this one.

I'm don't think it does. But it should include a little tube of thermal paste.

Xdrive05

GAF, what would you recommend for *quiet* 120mm case fans to calm down my Antec Nine Hundred, especially on the cheap? The fans that come with it are 3-speed and I already run them on the lowest speed, but they're still audible.

I don't need a lot of performance as the design of case basically guarantees sufficient air flow without needing wind tunnels for fans. Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

The closed loop coolers are really about aesthetics more than anything. But, they do help clean up a system.

As far as tips, just take your time. There's a guide in the OP about cable management in an Arc Mini which works pretty well for the R4 as well. It's exciting to have all of the parts, but if you are super thorough, you'll have a system that performs a bit better thermally as well as have something that stays a bit more dust free.

Just get yourself a pack of zip ties, and always try to route cables through the back side.

Yeah. In your guide I trust ;) lol.
Thanks, Cable management was one of my biggest concerns, as I am a bit of a neat freak. We'll see how it goes.

Just as I was writing this. All my parts have arrived!
vadHB.jpg

Pictured: everything but 2 x af120 fans
My build -Actual total being $818 after rebates
@_@ here I go

ZetaEpyon

NoRéN;46201464 said:
Did you check out the recommended list in the OP?

The CM Storm Spawn looks real good and not too expensive.

Wow, damn, I totally looked at the OP, too, and must have just missed that section.
I'll give them a look.

NoRéN

GAF, what would you recommend for *quiet* 120mm case fans to calm down my Antec Nine Hundred, especially on the cheap? The fans that come with it are 3-speed and I already run them on the lowest speed, but they're still audible.

I don't need a lot of performance as the design of case basically guarantees sufficient air flow without needing wind tunnels for fans. Thanks in advance.

These were recommended to me.
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition CO-9050002-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Airflow Case Fan
These were also recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Spectre-120mm-Series-BFF-LPRO-12025B-RP/dp/B00891XD2E

Fairly inexpensive and very quiet while providing good airflow.

Wow, damn, I totally looked at the OP, too, and must have just missed that section.
I'll give them a look.
I missed it as well the first time.
Mice
Logitech SBF-96 - $15, CM Storm Xornet - $30 - Xornet is the best buy in mice below $60.
CM Storm Spawn - $40, ROCCAT Kova - $50, SteelSeries Kana - $55 - Spawn for claw, Kova for palm, Kana for smallish hand palm.
SteelSeries Sensei RAW - $60 - Best mouse.
SteelSeries Sensei - $100 - Best mouse with a little more.

timnich

Very odd.

Have you made sure that the boot device is set to the disk that windows was installed to?
Just managed to get the motherboard exchanged. Retried everything again, but this time after installing windows, I unplug the disk drive and only have the ssd with windows plugged in. I get a error saying " the current BIOS setting does not fully support the boot device. Click Ok to enter the BIOS Setup. Go to advanced > boot > CDMA parameters, and adjust the csm ( compatibility support module) setting to enable the boot device."

I've gone through those steps but still get the same result.

Smokey

Would I be wasting my money going from a 580-680? The 580 is a 3gb. The 680 is a 2gb.

Are you at 1080p? If so..

Wait for 700 series. I went from sli 3gb 580s to a 690. Went back to the 580s a few months later. Still run every game minus metro at 60fps at 2560x1600. Unless you want to a cooler quieter card I would put that money away for the next batch of cards.

580 is still a good card. As next gen launches this year then you'll probably wanna move to a new card... 780 would be a nice upgrade.

kharma45

Toying with the idea of basing my budget rig on Bulldozer, one on eBay at the minute with 20 hours to go, I've bid a might £5 on it so if I got it for £15-20 I think it'd be forgiveable despite its flaws.

Someone stop me :p

timnich

Just managed to get the motherboard exchanged. Retried everything again, but this time after installing windows, I unplug the disk drive and only have the ssd with windows plugged in. I get a error saying " the current BIOS setting does not fully support the boot device. Click Ok to enter the BIOS Setup. Go to advanced > boot > CDMA parameters, and adjust the csm ( compatibility support module) setting to enable the boot device."

I've gone through those steps but still get the same result.
So I'm guessing my hard drive is the problem here. How do I check it for problems? Hook it up to another PC? Is there a program that can check and repair drives?

mkenyon

Banned
This is a serious case
Time to get wet Smokey!!
so.. um.. suddenly the case we bought my kid
s-glam.jpg

doesn't seem as cool anymore
They both have their highs and lows. I'll be really surprised if the 900D has the build quality of the Cosmos II. Corsair has been steadily going downhill for the past few years. Seems like the 800D and 500R were the pinnacle so far.
That Corsair case is absurd.
Not if you watercool, which is what it's designed for. Certainly absurd for even the vast majority of gaming rigs.

mkenyon

Banned
Why would you hide such a beauty under your desk? Gotta display all that bling!
---------------------------------------------------------

Two new ASUS Displays

2560x1080p IPS and new 24" 144hz TN

This is bringing the whole large res vs. high refresh debate to a head. Why can't these be the same display!?

So I unexpectedly received a $1000 check in the mail, and am thinking about jumping into PC gaming. I had been saving up for an X51, but now I think I can afford to build something awesome. I remember people on the Giant Bombcast saying that now was not a good time to build a PC. Why is that? Is there something coming around the corner that will cause something built around an i7 and a GTX 670 to become overly dated in a short amount of time?

I just keep looking at big open world experiences on PC and feel like I am missing out. :(

Also, is there a good magazine dedicated to custom pc builds?

scogoth

Why would you hide such a beauty under your desk? Gotta display all that bling!
---------------------------------------------------------

Two new ASUS Displays

2560x1080p IPS and new 24" 144hz TN

This is bringing the whole large res vs. high refresh debate to a head. Why can't these be the same display!?

120hz is already beyond whats needed for 2D so now its time to pump out that 72hz 3D! At last a true need for quad-SLI

scogoth

So I unexpectedly received a $1000 check in the mail, and am thinking about jumping into PC gaming. I had been saving up for an X51, but now I think I can afford to build something awesome. I remember people on the Giant Bombcast saying that now was not a good time to build a PC. Why is that? Is there something coming around the corner that will cause something built around an i7 and a GTX 670 to become overly dated in a short amount of time?

I just keep looking at big open world experiences on PC and feel like I am missing out. :(

It was not a great time to build until we discovered the next round of GPUs is going to be a 10% increase over this gen instead of a 50% increase. I'm also calling for haswell to be near 0 benefit for gaming because Intel has characterized it as "The greatest increase in battery life" for any generation hop -> I read that as lots of power saving and little CPU compute increase

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It was not a great time to build until we discovered the next round of GPUs is going to be a 10% increase over this gen instead of a 50% increase.

When/how did we find this out? I haven't been keeping up with PC news much, but I am looking to build a new PC this year.

kharma45

It was not a great time to build until we discovered the next round of GPUs is going to be a 10% increase over this gen instead of a 50% increase. I'm also calling for haswell to be near 0 benefit for gaming because Intel has characterized it as "The greatest increase in battery life" for any generation hop -> I read that as lots of power saving and little CPU compute increase

Are you going by that AMD thread? If so that's for OEMs only, that's not their new cards.

As for Haswell yeah it's not going to do much, 10% core for core difference but mkenyon did find out something good recently with regards to OCing it.

Smokey

Time to get wet Smokey!!

I just watched that 900d video again at home after watching it on my phone at work.

omg

$350 huh...will wait on reviews but this case seems to let you do whatever you want. Might have to pencil this in for my machine refresh (depending on reviews again)

A H100 would look so good in there :p

mkenyon

Banned

Also, is there a good magazine dedicated to custom pc builds?
I'm not sure why GiantBomb would be saying that. It's a great time to build a PC. The current parts that are out there have insane overhead in terms of capabilities, and scale from $500 to multiple thousands depending on what you want to accomplish.

The upcoming 7xx and 8xxx cards are refreshes on the same architecture, so I don't expect some huge change in terms of performance.

Haswell (socket 1150 - out Q2/Q3) will overclock better than Ivy (socket 1155) currently does, but that only matters if you're talking about pushing your processor past 4.4-4.5GHz. Clock for clock, we won't see any huge performance jumps.

If you want to push tons of pixels, Sandybridge-E (socket 2011) is still a powerhouse, while delivering more PCI-E lanes which means better multi-GPU performance.

Computer Power User is probably the only magazine out there that focuses on what you are talking about. With an industry that moves as fast as hardware does, the magazine has pretty much gone beyond the wayside. If you're looking for websites dedicated to this sort of thing, Overclock3d.net is great with an amazing youtube channel (oc3d.tv), TechReport is great in terms of accurate and interesting content, and then you have various forums such as Overclock.net and Xtremesystems.org.

If you are looking to have someone custom build you some kind of watercooled monstrosity, both Scogoth (Canada) and myself (US) here offer our services to GAF.
I just watched that 900d video again at home after watching it on my phone at work.

omg

$350 huh...will wait on reviews but this case seems to let you do whatever you want. Might have to pencil this in for my machine refresh (depending on reviews again)

Waste of space! Stick with your 500R then, or check out the FT04.

scogoth

omg

Thats the cowards way!

If you're spending $350 on a case full custom water is the only thing that makes sense.

mkenyon

Banned
It's the same break in logic that makes people hopeful in the Texans. Smokey is pretty vulnerable to this kind of illness.

I kid, gonna destroy Brady's face

From what I have read, Haswell seems like it was designed for mobile computing, as a response to ARM chips. I can't see a reason to use it in a gaming rig unless I am missing something big.

The new GPU's are the AMD 8800 series yes? Even if there is a shockingly major jump in performance I could simply sell my 670 gpu and upgrade yes?

I guess what I am most concerned about is going out and dropping a bunch of money on a good motherboard and CPU only to find out that next big thing in GPU's won't work with it.

Guys, my low-profile Samsungs won't go into the ram slots...?!

I pushed down pretty hard, why isn't it going in?

Building on an ASUS board. Trying to put into blue slots.

kharma45

From what I have read, Haswell seems like it was designed for mobile computing, as a response to ARM chips. I can't see a reason to use it in a gaming rig unless I am missing something big.

The new GPU's are the AMD 8800 series yes? Even if there is a shockingly major jump in performance I could simply sell my 670 gpu and upgrade yes?

I guess what I am most concerned about is going out and dropping a bunch of money on a good motherboard and CPU only to find out that next big thing in GPU's won't work with it.

GPU will be fine, they'll not deviate from PCIe.

I'm not sure why GiantBomb would be saying that. It's a great time to build a PC. The current parts that are out there have insane overhead in terms of capabilities, and scale from $500 to multiple thousands depending on what you want to accomplish.

The upcoming 7xx and 8xxx cards are refreshes on the same architecture, so I don't expect some huge change in terms of performance.

Haswell (socket 1150 - out Q2/Q3) will overclock better than Ivy (socket 1155) currently does, but that only matters if you're talking about pushing your processor past 4.4-4.5GHz. Clock for clock, we won't see any huge performance jumps.

If you want to push tons of pixels, Sandybridge-E (socket 2011) is still a powerhouse, while delivering more PCI-E lanes which means better multi-GPU performance.

Computer Power User is probably the only magazine out there that focuses on what you are talking about. With an industry that moves as fast as hardware does, the magazine has pretty much gone beyond the wayside. If you're looking for websites dedicated to this sort of thing, Overclock3d.net is great with an amazing youtube channel (oc3d.tv), TechReport is great in terms of accurate and interesting content, and then you have various forums such as Overclock.net and Xtremesystems.org.

If you are looking to have someone custom build you some kind of watercooled monstrosity, both Scogoth (Canada) and myself (US) here offer our services to GAF.

Waste of space! Stick with your 500R then, or check out the FT04.

Thanks for the input. I would really like to build it myself, but I'd be up for paying you for some detailed consulting along the way this Spring. :)

scogoth

Be warned if you say you don't care what is costs you just beacause want to best mkenyon you throws scary prices at you. My watercooling cost as much as the original computer cost to make O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom