• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all run Windows by default. They are sold by Dell which are only selling Windows machines.

Oh, that's perfect! I love the Windows 8 aesthetic and the AlienWare tron-style hardware aesthetic and it seems like the RAM and hardware specs (since they're meant for gaming and all) would be more than enough for what I do, since my current home computer melts when I'm making music and use too many VSTs. Thanks!

DTKT

Oh, that's perfect! I love the Windows 8 aesthetic and the AlienWare tron-style hardware aesthetic and it seems like the RAM and hardware specs (since they're meant for gaming and all) would be more than enough for what I do, since my current home computer melts when I'm making music and use too many VSTs. Thanks!

Alienware computers tend to be a tad overprices over everything else. It's like buying a MAC, you are paying a premium for a glowing alien head on the cover.

Alienware computers tend to be a tad overprices over everything else. It's like buying a MAC, you are paying a premium for a glowing alien head on the cover.

Son of a bitch. All I need is a lot of ram (I'd guess two gigs) and a ton of hard drive space and Windows 8 so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere, especially since I'm on kind of a budget. Really, I'd rather a desktop computer but since I'll be heading off to college soon that's kind of impractical.

Salaadin

Any reason why my PC wont detect my TV as a second monitor?

I used to use it on my old AMD card but, since switching to Nvidia, it just doesnt work. Im using the right cables (HDMI) and have my TV on the right input. Anything else I can try before I buy a long DVI or VGA cable and try that?

EDIT: Got it. Driver update.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Son of a bitch. All I need is a lot of ram (I'd guess two gigs) and a ton of hard drive space and Windows 8 so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere, especially since I'm on kind of a budget. Really, I'd rather a desktop computer but since I'll be heading off to college soon that's kind of impractical.

You would probably be best off checking the Laptop Thread for advice on that. This is one is pretty much dedicated to (building) desktops.

mkenyon

Banned
GTX 580 blew up a few days ago and i'm shopping around for a replacement. Seeing the price difference between the states and here in the UK actually gives me heartburn. I need to stop clicking links in this thread.

Looking at something around 250-300 GBP that's the best upgrade from a 580. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking at this so far

Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB
Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB [TechPowerUp Review]

It's stretching the budget a little, but i was impressed with the review on techpowerup. I've always leaned towards Nvidia, but it's only due to brand loyalty and nothing else, so i'm willing to keep an open mind.
I really like the 670 over the 7970 for the noise and heat alone. Performance wise, 7970 still has it beat if you are comfortable with overclocking. Basically on par with the 680.

But, I still say 670, and that's coming from someone who has both.

Irobot82

Does anyone know where I might find a GPU stand? One of those little columns you put at the end of your card to help keep it stable? Thanks in advance.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GTX 580 blew up a few days ago and i'm shopping around for a replacement. Seeing the price difference between the states and here in the UK actually gives me heartburn. I need to stop clicking links in this thread.

Looking at something around 250-300 GBP that's the best upgrade from a 580. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking at this so far

Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB
Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB [TechPowerUp Review]

It's stretching the budget a little, but i was impressed with the review on techpowerup. I've always leaned towards Nvidia, but it's only due to brand loyalty and nothing else, so i'm willing to keep an open mind.

I have that GPU. Mind blowingly good performance. So so good.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hey guys, I am looking to get an SSD for a clean install of Windows 8. I am currently looking at this SSD http://amzn.com/B006VCP9G6

I like the storage capacity, the speed and the price. For those conditions, is there a better SSD?

DigiMish

I need some advice here.

Yesterday, my internal HD - Samsung HD103SJ died. At least I'm pretty sure it's dead - my PC can't find it on bootup, I tried putting it into another PC - nothing. I also tried an external USB connector - nothing. So, I assume it's dead.

I can still hearing a spinning up noise, and when I hooked it up via an external USB connector, I see a green light... but my computer can't find it.

I never dealt with any hard drives dying on me, so here I am... what are my options? I don't really care about the HD, but I would really like to get my data back.

I'm thinking I either:

1) Try to replace the HD's PCB with something I buy from eBay.

Taking a gamble, because it might not have the correct firmware, or the PCB is not the culprit - I lose $70.

2) Take it to a mom and pop PC shop and try to get my data back for presumably a lot more $.

Advice?

Exuro

Hey guys, I am looking to get an SSD for a clean install of Windows 8. I am currently looking at this SSD http://amzn.com/B006VCP9G6

I like the storage capacity, the speed and the price. For those conditions, is there a better SSD?
Have you looked at the Samsung 830 series? It's a little cheaper and a little bigger. Don't think this version comes with the desktop kit though, but honestly you don't "need" one. Mines just sitting in a drive bay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR66A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've ignored like 5 phone calls this weekend due to dayz.

Thraktor

A Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 would give you pretty much the same speed for a much lower price.

Edit:
Have you looked at the Samsung 830 series? It's a little cheaper and a little bigger. Don't think this version comes with the desktop kit though, but honestly you don't "need" one. Mines just sitting in a drive bay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR66A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Actually the usable space on each should be about the same. It's just that Samsung advertises the total amount of NAND memory on the SSD, whereas Intel advertises the usable space (once over-provisioning is taken into account).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need some advice here.

Yesterday, my internal HD - Samsung HD103SJ died. At least I'm pretty sure it's dead - my PC can't find it on bootup, I tried putting it into another PC - nothing. I also tried an external USB connector - nothing. So, I assume it's dead.

I can still hearing a spinning up noise, and when I hooked it up via an external USB connector, I see a green light... but my computer can't find it.

I never dealt with any hard drives dying on me, so here I am... what are my options? I don't really care about the HD, but I would really like to get my data back.

I'm thinking I either:

1) Try to replace the HD's PCB with something I buy from eBay.

Taking a gamble, because it might not have the correct firmware, or the PCB is not the culprit - I lose $70.

2) Take it to a mom and pop PC shop and try to get my data back for presumably a lot more $.

Advice?

Its probably dead. Even dead HDDs spin. Sometimes they beep, have you checked for that? I would just go buy a new HDD and try and backup the data.

DigiMish

Its probably dead. Even dead HDDs spin. Sometimes they beep, have you checked for that? I would just go buy a new HDD and try and backup the data.

Nope - it doesn't beep. I already ordered a new HD, and now am just thinking of ways to get my data off the dead one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Been very friendly with the redbox kiosks around here... Only problem is my computer is already half full. :(

haikira

Cheers for the posts guys. Made up my mind on the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB and i'm going to bite the bullet sometime next week hopefully, when I've got the money.

I'm not sure if this is purely a Windows 8 thing or if it applies to 7 as well, but I'm on 8 so keep that in mind.

What is Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1 and 1.2? Windows Update successfully installed WDDM1.1 and 1.2 for my Intel HD Graphics (that I don't use) and then later prompted me for another update. The second update was also for WDDM1.1 and 1.2 but this time it said it was for my Nvidia GPU. I tried to install it but it fails almost immediately.

So what's up? Will my graphics card melt if I don't install this WDDM thing correctly?

jsrv

Is the november date on samsung's 840 Pro in newegg the new release date, or is that just a placeholder?

The wait is killing me

Has Haswell been delayed til Mid 2013? People on Anandtech's last Haswell article are saying that it's launching in Summer 2013. Also, will the new Socket 1150 motherboards be a lot more expensive than the current Socket 1155 motherboards?

Does windows 8 have a feature like the Apple Fusion drive? I am still on X58 but I would love to be able to have the computer move stuff i use the most on to my samsung 830 from my HD. Is there software I can buy that can do this?

Thraktor

Does windows 8 have a feature like the Apple Fusion drive? I am still on X58 but I would love to be able to have the computer move stuff i use the most on to my samsung 830 from my HD. Is there software I can buy that can do this?

Windows itself doesn't, but if you've got an Intel CPU and a relatively recent motherboard, then there's something called SRT (smart response technology), which does a very similar thing.

Tomodachi

I received a Bitfenix Merc Alpha this morning, and I just finished placing everything in place. Took me 2h15m, I took my time since I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. I have a non-modular Corsair PSU so I had a hard time with cables :( But in the end everything fitted in nicely, case looks very good for its price, it's sturdy, well-built, and the fan is very silent and moves a lot of air. Highly suggested for anyone looking for the cheapest case out there (I paid it less than 40€), it doesn't get any better than this for the price. Thanks OP!

Now I need dust filters, the insides of the case I got rid of were covered in it :(

mkenyon

Banned
I received a Bitfenix Merc Alpha this morning, and I just finished placing everything in place. Took me 2h15m, I took my time since I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. I have a non-modular Corsair PSU so I had a hard time with cables :( But in the end everything fitted in nicely, case looks very good for its price, it's sturdy, well-built, and the fan is very silent and moves a lot of air. Highly suggested for anyone looking for the cheapest case out there (I paid it less than 40€), it doesn't get any better than this for the price. Thanks OP!

Now I need dust filters, the insides of the case I got rid of were covered in it :(
Get some Demciflex filters, and make sure that you have more intake CFM than exhaust. Just get enough filters to cover the intake fans. Then all you have to do is pull them off every other week or so and blow them off. The positive pressure will keep dust from building up on the inside.
That doesn't work for me. at all.

I'm never buying an ATI card again. So no.
That's fine, because ATi doesn't exist anymore! You're in luck.

mkenyon

Banned
There was a time around 2004 where it was kind of bad. Most everything else is just anecdotal stuff that is exaggerated because that's the thing to do on the net. The land of hyperbole and lack of empiricism.

Tess3ract

Banned
That's fine, because ATi doesn't exist anymore! You're in luck.
It's always ATI to me.

That being said, it's not the drivers, its the features. Nvidia is always ahead in driver releases, compatibility, and features such as supersampling.

That AMD thing never worked for me. Maybe it's also a monitor incompatibility because my system and monitor were not okay with those methods.

Tomodachi

Get some Demciflex filters, and make sure that you have more intake CFM than exhaust. Just get enough filters to cover the intake fans. Then all you have to do is pull them off every other week or so and blow them off. The positive pressure will keep dust from building up on the inside.
Nice, thanks.

Right now I have a rear exhaust fan and a side intake fan. The intake is smaller than the exhaust (8 or 9cm, can't remember, vs 12cm), so I guess I need more intake CFM. Do you suggest adding another intake fan on the side or simply swapping the two I have?

mkenyon

Banned
Adding another is the best, but will obviously cost more. If temps are fine, you could just swap them.
It's always ATI to me.

That being said, it's not the drivers, its the features. Nvidia is always ahead in driver releases, compatibility, and features such as supersampling.

That AMD thing never worked for me. Maybe it's also a monitor incompatibility because my system and monitor were not okay with those methods.
Eyefinity and displayport. NVIDIA'S support of DP is laughable at best with consistent bugs. They also released drivers that fried graphics cards. NVIDIA is ahead with driver releases in terms of games that they are getting developer relations going with. Big releases often have a number of beta patches along the way to get things moving in a good fashion, which is nice. GW2 support, outside of SLI, was really really good before and through launch, for example.

If you want to pick specific features that you personally like, that's fine, and clearly NVIDIA is a good choice for you. But to use your anecdotal experience and limited preference of features as a starting point to a statement like 'NVIDIA is always ahead' is what brought the public mindset to 'lol ATI drivers' in the first place.

scogoth

Adding another is the best, but will obviously cost more. If temps are fine, you could just swap them.

Eyefinity and displayport. NVIDIA'S support of DP is laughable at best with consistent bugs. They also released drivers that fried graphics cards. NVIDIA is ahead with driver releases in terms of games that they are getting developer relations going with. Big releases often have a number of beta patches along the way to get things moving in a good fashion, which is nice. GW2 support, outside of SLI, was really really good before and through launch, for example.

If you want to pick specific features that you personally like, that's fine, and clearly NVIDIA is a good choice for you. But to use your anecdotal experience and limited preference of features as a starting point to a statement like 'NVIDIA is always ahead' is what brought the public mindset to 'lol ATI drivers' in the first place.

Green fits better in your build than red. Best reason to use Nvidia.

Anecdotally I feel like there's an "Nvidia tax" because they win all the reviews for two products that aren't the same price

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Anyone got any good suggestions for a mATX case?
I want something that can fit a decent sized GTX 670 or so and a PS2 power supply but something that looks nice or shuttle.

I saw a couple of case suggestions here some time ago but this thread got big and I lost it :(

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I want something that can fit a decent sized GTX 670 or so and a PS2 power supply but something that looks nice or shuttle.

I saw a couple of case suggestions here some time ago but this thread got big and I lost it :(

Arc Mini.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008

I rebuilt my HTPC and used this case and it was a dream to work with.

Got a full sized 680 installed in it. :) Runs cool & and best of all makes little noise as well with the way I have my fans setup in the bios.

If I decided to buy a 7950, which one should I go for?
The GigaByte Windforce and Sapphire are supposed to be pretty good I heard? Anything else?

mkenyon

Banned
The GigaByte Windforce and Sapphire are supposed to be pretty good I heard? Anything else?
Yeah, one of those two. Powercolor's twin fan version are good, as are the HIS IceQ's.

Best ones out at the moment:

Arc Mini (as GeoNeo pointed out), Lian Li V354, V600, A55, A04, Silverstone SG09, TJ08, PS07, Xigmatek GIGAS.

kennah

552650_270589816376302_2045814951_n.jpg

I want this one to come out.

NFC S3

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...Chassis-(100-aluminum-ITX-and-made-in-America)

EDIT: I'm dumb, you said mATX, not MiniITX

cametall

Just avoid the Sapphire Vapor X models, there's a few issues with them.

I went with the Sapphire Dual X OC version, I like it a lot. I hear Sapphire and Gigabyte tend to have higher overclock potential, but the HIS IceQ runs cooler.

iqubal

Banned
So i'm buying a new HDD to replace my old one of 5 years.

What is the best cloning program someone can recommend? I just want to mirror my old one to the new one and I'll be good to go?

Any help would be awesome : )

mkenyon

Banned
Acronis EZ Migrate I hear gets some positive reviews.

What I would do though, is a fresh install. It's probably overdue, am I right? Then, just keep the old drive plugged in and transfer all of the data that you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom