• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
If I had money coming out of my orifices I would totally have you build all of my PCs.
That is seriously flattering. Means a lot!
Hello there, this is my first post here.

I am wondering if there are any ways of assisting with the cooling of a reference GTX670 that wouldn't involve modifying the actual card in any way?

I bought a PC and it is under warranty so I don't really want to start pulling the card apart. I guess I am probably asking for something impossible but it is worth a go.

The case for my build is a Zalman Z9.
Swapping the cooler doesn't void the warranty. The only way you might make it quieter is by adding more/better case fans.
If you're in the PacNW he has offered many times to do it for free for people :)
This is very true. I look for excuses to pull apart my computer and put it back together. Favorite hobby outside of gaming.
Is the 840 Pro worth it over getting an 830? Or the 840 Pro over the 840?
Only for enterprise.
Thanks for the recommendations! Loving my new PC so far.

049ff355b9b25c3c2c21477f46ecc564c9d20eba.png
Looks amazing! I love that case.

As pointed out, fan is on the opposite side of the heatsink. Also, if you put two of the fans in front of the case (Third in the rear), and remove the top HDD cage, your build will stay cooler and cleaner.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need your illumination guys...

I had a HDD of 400GB with the OS and shit. I got my new HDD today (1TB WD Black that I RMA'd some weeks ago). I used CloneZilla and cloned the old HDD into the new HDD, MBR and all partitions.

Working perfectly. Windows won't recognize the new drive. I go to administrative tools to try and initialize it but it gives me a "Device not ready" error. In Device Manager I scanned for new hardware changes and nothing was found. The HDD (a old Hitachi one I will be using for downloads and shit) appears in the device list. What can I do?

kharma45

Thanks. I was considering that second link, the MSI Twin Frozr III OC 7850 (TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC). Based on all of the reviews I've read, both of my current GPU (vanilla GTX 260) and this card, it doesn't look like I should even have to replace my PSU since those old 260 cards were such hogs. Does that sound likely? I don't plan to do any overclocking at all.

What PSU is it you have?

Going from a 260 will be a really good jump, and this is before Anandtech update this comparison to factor in the new AMD drivers

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=664

abunai

I had a HDD of 400GB with the OS and shit. I got my new HDD today (1TB WD Black that I RMA'd some weeks ago). I used CloneZilla and cloned the old HDD into the new HDD, MBR and all partitions.

Working perfectly. Windows won't recognize the new drive. I go to administrative tools to try and initialize it but it gives me a "Device not ready" error. In Device Manager I scanned for new hardware changes and nothing was found. The HDD (a old Hitachi one I will be using for downloads and shit) appears in the device list. What can I do?

Does it (the new 1TB) appear in the BIOS?

Check if the cables are still connected, I recently tried to solve the problem of my DVD drive disappearing and it took me an hour before I noticed the power cable wiggled free somehow.
EDIT: If it appears in the BIOS that's definitely not it.

RedSwirl

Can anybody give me opinions on this case? http://www.amazon.com/Crafted-Series-Tower-Steel-Chassis/dp/B003WE9WQO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1351197420&sr=8-9&keywords=computer+case

Here's where I'm at so far:

Parts I'm nailing down:
i5 3570k
H77 Chipset (I guess)
HD7850
128GB Crucial M4 SSD (I guess)
Migrating over my WD 1TB HDD
Windows 7
No monitor

Parts I still need some advice on:
Optical Drive - For starters I still don't know why most store-bought desktops have dual drives other than for copying CDs. How would I be with just one if I still want CD/CD-ROM playback, DVD/DVD-ROM playback, CD/DVD burning, and possibly Blu-Ray playback?
Bluetooth adapter for keyboard and mouse - Most popular prices/models? Not looking for super expensive gamer models.
Wi-Fi Adapter - Ethernet won't be an option for me for a long time (would I have to buy that separate too?), but I've been stung too often by cheap Chinese models. Probably sticking to either Linksys or Netgear or something this time.

What am I missing?

Edit: Are you guys sure I shouldn't just grab another WD terabyte hard drive? They don't look like bad deals to me and I already trust the brand.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Check if the cables are still connected, I recently tried to solve the problem of my DVD drive disappearing and it took me an hour before I noticed the power cable wiggled free somehow.
EDIT: If it appears in the BIOS that's definitely not it.

Have you formatted it?

I basically just cracked my head open. This is what I did, and what I think may have been the cause...

I used CloneZilla to clone OLD to NEW HDD. Windows 7 in NEW HDD tried to install drivers, for some reason, for the OLD HDD (where the OS was before); this could be caused because I changed the SATA port used for it to a SATA2 instead of SATA3. Still, the Hitachi HDD Driver (Old) appeared in Device Manager, which confused me. After disabling this new driver W7 installed, and restarting, the old HDD was correctly installed. I proceed to initialize in Computer Management, formatted it, assigned a letter, rebooted... and BAM it worked.

Damn. :p

As I sidenote, changed the DDR3 speed to 1642MHZ in the BIOS instead of the 134xMHZ it had. Didn't realize you had to change that manually. Timings are OK I think, didn't mess with them. Nothing has crashed so far.

kharma45

Can anybody give me opinions on this case? http://www.amazon.com/Crafted-Series-Tower-Steel-Chassis/dp/B003WE9WQO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1351197420&sr=8-9&keywords=computer+case

Here's where I'm at so far:

Parts I'm nailing down:
i5 3570k
H77 Chipset (I guess)
HD7850
128GB Crucial M4 SSD (I guess)
Migrating over my WD 1TB HDD
Windows 7
No monitor

Optical Drive - For starters I still don't know why most store-bought desktops have dual drives other than for copying CDs. How would I be with just one if I still want CD/CD-ROM playback, DVD/DVD-ROM playback, CD/DVD burning, and possibly Blu-Ray playback?
Bluetooth adapter for keyboard and mouse - Most popular prices/models? Not looking for super expensive gamer models.
Wi-Fi Adapter - Ethernet won't be an option for me for a long time (would I have to buy that separate too?), but I've been stung too often by cheap Chinese models. Probably sticking to either Linksys or Netgear or something this time.

What am I missing?

Edit: Are you guys sure I shouldn't just grab another WD terabyte hard drive? They don't look like bad deals to me and I already trust the brand.

SSD wise go for the Samsung 830 and get a Z77 mobo for the ability to overclock otherwise no point getting an unlocked CPU.

abunai

I basically just cracked my head open. This is what I did, and what I think may have been the cause...

I used CloneZilla to clone OLD to NEW HDD. Windows 7 in NEW HDD tried to install drivers, for some reason, for the OLD HDD (where the OS was before); this could be caused because I changed the SATA port used for it to a SATA2 instead of SATA3. Still, the Hitachi HDD Driver (Old) appeared in Device Manager, which confused me. After disabling this new driver W7 installed, and restarting, the old HDD was correctly installed. I proceed to initialize in Computer Management, formatted it, assigned a letter, rebooted... and BAM it worked.

Damn. :p

Ah I see, sorry I thought you meant the other drive.. long day. At least it's working now!

ithorien

One's perfectly fine. Even if you absolutely have to copy something can always do it with the help of a program like ImgBurn.

Shambles

Has anyone in N/A been able to find a Bitfenix Prodigy in Blue? Instead of doing a minor upgrade on my HTPC I'm going to move the wifes C2Q to the HTPC and throw an i3 or something in her machine. I see NCIX has red and orange available to the usual black and white. I have the feeling that she might like the blue the best. Originally I was going to make everything ATX so that I could bump machines down the line easily during upgrades but as time goes buy things in the ITX size will probably become more standard. I'm not seeing any other ITX that looks as good as the Prodigy.

mkenyon what do you think about the NZXT Phantom 820 case? Its between that or the Switch 810

(and yes I'm willing to spend that on a case, I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for when you get a case....I have a thermaltake element t at home and I hate it #thanksrevision3)

stealth edit: I've been thinking more and more about watercooling and I think it would good to at least have the option to do so later on down the line.

RedSwirl

SSD wise go for the Samsung 830 and get a Z77 mobo for the ability to overclock otherwise no point getting an unlocked CPU.

At this point I don't know if I'm going to overclock but I guess I should keep the option on the table.

Now what exactly is so bad about the HDDs? Anything else I'm missing?

One's perfectly fine. Even if you absolutely have to copy something can always do it with the help of a program like ImgBurn.

Do they make combo drives that play Blu-Rays as well as burn CDs and DVDs?

ithorien

At this point I don't know if I'm going to overclock but I guess I should keep the option on the table.

Now what exactly is so bad about the HDDs? Anything else I'm missing?

Generally when anyone asks me about mechanical HDD failures, I respond with "it's a matter of when, not if"

Do they make combo drives that play Blu-Rays as well as burn CDs and DVDs?

Most burners are capable of burning everything backwards. If you get a Blu-Ray burner, it'll most likely burn DVD/CDs.

RedSwirl

Most burners are capable of burning everything backwards. If you get a Blu-Ray burner, it'll most likely burn DVD/CDs.

Those are still pretty expensive though right?

Edit: Just checked. They're kinda sort of expensive, it's just that internal dvd burners are so inexpensive at this point. Might just go with the DVD now and switch to BR if I find I need it later on.

Now, what are good suggestions for bluetooth adapters and the keyboard/mouse to go with them?

mkenyon

Banned
Has anyone in N/A been able to find a Bitfenix Prodigy in Blue? Instead of doing a minor upgrade on my HTPC I'm going to move the wifes C2Q to the HTPC and throw an i3 or something in her machine. I see NCIX has red and orange available to the usual black and white. I have the feeling that she might like the blue the best. Originally I was going to make everything ATX so that I could bump machines down the line easily during upgrades but as time goes buy things in the ITX size will probably become more standard. I'm not seeing any other ITX that looks as good as the Prodigy.
Check out Performance PC's. They do a large number of custom Prodigy's. (Prodigies?)
mkenyon what do you think about the NZXT Phantom 820 case? Its between that or the Switch 810

(and yes I'm willing to spend that on a case, I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for when you get a case....I have a thermaltake element t at home and I hate it #thanksrevision3)

stealth edit: I've been thinking more and more about watercooling and I think it would good to at least have the option to do so later on down the line.
They are the same case, but the 820 adds a bunch of useless stuff that jacks up the price. List of best water cooling cases out there for the $:

Shinobi XL
Switch 810
CM Storm Stryker/Trooper
HAF XM
Fractal Arc MIDI
Lian Li A75X
Caselabs Merlin SM8
MountainMods U2UFO
Those are still pretty expensive though right?

Edit: Just checked. They're kinda sort of expensive, it's just that internal dvd burners are so inexpensive at this point. Might just go with the DVD now and switch to BR if I find I need it later on.

Now, what are good suggestions for bluetooth adapters and the keyboard/mouse to go with them?
Do you really need an optical drive? Do you burn DVDs often?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best price for performance SSD right now that has 256 GB or more?

Please don't recommend anything from Samsung.

cametall

What's the best price for performance SSD right now that has 256 GB or more?

Please don't recommend anything from Samsung.

OK. Ignoring reliability then buy OCZ. Or go on Newegg and look up the cheapest 256+ SSD, they all perform incredibly fast, just a lot of them are more likely to break than other brands.

But I'd never recommend OCZ unless you just don't give a crap. Samsung and Crucial all the way.

All right then, I've been experimenting with possible builds for two weeks now and I think this is the one.

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro4
Processor: 3570K + Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600
GPU: MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2BAA
Case: Sharkoon T28 incl. 3 120mm fans

Did I do a good job? The SSD is all about availability, if the Crucial goes out of stock then I'll look for the Samsung 830 and vice versa. The case is something I'm not quite sure on, but this one is in the sub €60 range so that's piqued my interest.

I'm planning on getting a triple monitor set up (5760x1080) which is the reason that I've switched from the GTX670 to a 7970. Will this be good enough to do job to play most games at Very High, if not Ultra?

Also tips on which 1080p 20-22" monitors I should look at and how I should set it all up are much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why not Samsung? Their SSDs are amongst the best.

I dislike them as a company.

OK. Ignoring reliability then buy OCZ. Or go on Newegg and look up the cheapest 256+ SSD, they all perform incredibly fast, just a lot of them are more likely to break than other brands.

But I'd never recommend OCZ unless you just don't give a crap. Samsung and Crucial all the way.

Nevermind OCZ, then. I want something that at least has a reputation for being reliable.

So Crucial is pretty good, then?

rafbanaan

All right then, I've been experimenting with possible builds for two weeks now and I think this is the one.

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro4
Processor: 3570K + Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600
GPU: MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2BAA
Case: Sharkoon T28 incl. 3 120mm fans

Did I do a good job? The SSD is all about availability, if the Crucial goes out of stock then I'll look for the Samsung 830 and vice versa. The case is something I'm not quite sure on, but this one is in the sub €60 range so that's piqued my interest.

I'm planning on getting a triple monitor set up (5760x1080) which is the reason that I've switched from the GTX670 to a 7970. Will this be good enough to do job to play most games at Very High, if not Ultra?

Also tips on which 1080p 20-22" monitors I should look at and how I should set it all up are much appreciated.

I would go for the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and a corsair TX650W (v2)

Rest is good.

cametall

Nevermind OCZ, then. I want something that at least has a reputation for being reliable.

Yes, before the Samsung 830 most people were, and many still do, recommending the Crucial M4.

It's what I have and I have had no issues with it.

kharma45

Well that'd be Samsung then but if you're wholly against one of their SSDs then Intel or Crucial would be your only options.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
7950 vs. 2 X 6950. Would this be an upgrade, sidegrade or nograde? The heat these things putout is pretty crazy.

Thraktor

7950 vs. 2 X 6950. Would this be an upgrade, sidegrade or nograde? The heat these things putout is pretty crazy.

I'm pretty sure it's a downgrade in terms of performance, but obviously significantly cooler, quieter, lower power and it's easier to deal with one card vs two.

Edit: To clarify, you have two 6950s and are considering switching to a 7950, right?

GeoNeo

I disagree.

The crossfire 6950's will out perform the single 7950.

Nothing wrong with your current gpu setup just upgrade next year when amd 8000 or nv 700 series of gpu's drop.

RedSwirl

Do you really need an optical drive? Do you burn DVDs often?

Well first of all this'll be an HTPC, so there's a chance I might try to watch DVDs or even Blu-Rays on it. Secondly I actually still buy physical PC games sometimes, especially games that are Steamworks (most recently Dishonored). If I get the chance I still prefer to be able to install games off of a disc because it's faster and doesn't take a 15+GB bite out of my monthly data cap. Plus I just checked and DVD burners are like $20-$40. Any particular brands I need to know about?

Anyway, anybody have anything to say about this case? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WE9WQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would go for the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and a corsair TX650W (v2)

Rest is good.
Is there a big reason to go for the Extreme 4 instead of Pro 4? I understand it is slightly better, but also a good €20 more expensive and I'm just a mere student.

I can't get my hands on the Corsair TX650. Other 650w PSU's they do have in stock are:
Antec EA-650 Green
Chieftec CTG-650C
Cooler Master GX650
OCZ ZS650W
Spire BlackEagle 650W
Thermaltake SMART M650W
XFX PRO650W Core Edition

Most of those are also +€20 on my Antec 620, so again with the tight budget I have, is this upgrade worth it? Cheers

mkenyon

Banned
Well first of all this'll be an HTPC, so there's a chance I might try to watch DVDs or even Blu-Rays on it. Secondly I actually still buy physical PC games sometimes, especially games that are Steamworks (most recently Dishonored). If I get the chance I still prefer to be able to install games off of a disc because it's faster and doesn't take a 15+GB bite out of my monthly data cap. Plus I just checked and DVD burners are like $20-$40. Any particular brands I need to know about?

Anyway, anybody have anything to say about this case? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WE9WQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
All the DVD burners are more or less the same. Just get one that is SATA, not IDE.

The case is fine, but really big. If you like the aesthetic, I'd suggest the Phantom 410 over it.
Is there a big reason to go for the Extreme 4 instead of Pro 4? I understand it is slightly better, but also a good €20 more expensive and I'm just a mere student.

I can't get my hands on the Corsair TX650. Other 650w PSU's they do have in stock are:
Antec EA-650 Green
Chieftec CTG-650C
Cooler Master GX650
OCZ ZS650W
Spire BlackEagle 650W
Thermaltake SMART M650W
XFX PRO650W Core Edition

Most of those are also +€20 on my Antec 620, so again with the tight budget I have, is this upgrade worth it? Cheers
How much is that XFX in comparison? If you want to save a bit, go for the Antec BP550. It's a reliable unit. That XFX is a rebadged Seasonic, which are the best PSU's out there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, before the Samsung 830 most people were, and many still do, recommending the Crucial M4.

It's what I have and I have had no issues with it.

Thanks!

Did a little bit of research and pulled the trigger on a Crucial M4 256 GB.

Now I'm just debating whether I want to keep Windows 7 or give Windows 8 a try when I do a fresh install on the drive.

How much is that XFX in comparison? If you want to save a bit, go for the Antec BP550. It's a reliable unit. That XFX is a rebadged Seasonic, which are the best PSU's out there.
The XFX is 86,90 which is consistent with the other PSU's I listed, but +€20 my current set up. They've also got a XFX PRO550W for only 57,90. The Antec BP550 in comparisson is 71,90

I understand that 550W/650W doesn't make a difference then?

statham

is a 500w power supply, coolermaster, enough for a 7850,7870,7950? only thing I added was a 128 ssd and its pushing a 95w cpu? its 70% + efficient . how close does it come or can I overclock the GPU/CPU and still be under 500w/70% eff?

sueil

So overclocked my new 3570k to 4.4ghz at 1.3 vcore, stable and temps in the 60's. I am pretty happy with this.

I'm curious why you wouldn't want a Samsung ssd? My new 830 feels like a life changer.

LQX

For all the love Samsung SSDs get I think Intel SSDs are way better. Just upgraded to a 830 which came out after my Intel 320 but I feel the Intel was/is faster. Also the diagnostic tools are much better.

For all the love Samsung SSDs get I think Intel SSDs are way better. Just upgraded to a 830 which came out after my Intel 320 but I feel the Intel was/is faster. Also the diagnostic tools are much better.

IIRC the Intels are good but they are not named alot because they are expensive compared to the others in the storage categories

I want to learn about PCs. Specifically how to build one, where can I go that will give me a basic overview of what I need to learn to do this? Also, I have a old HP desktop from 09 that is no longer in use. If I were to take it apart would it be constructed like PCs are constructed now?

I want to learn about PCs. Specifically how to build one, where can I go that will give me a basic overview of what I need to learn to do this? Also, I have a old HP desktop from 09 that is no longer in use. If I were to take it apart would it be constructed like PCs are constructed now?

there are a few videos in the OP that can help you out, plus you can pause, rewind etc if you didn't get something

As for actually building one its not that hard since you are just placing parts together (kinda like Lego) and imo its gotten easier than in the old days too.

Newegg did a really good overview on components and how to build a PC in a 3 part series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

mkenyon

Banned
Dude, it's his Anniversary
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about building a little bit when I went on a hike with my wife and dog!
So overclocked my new 3570k to 4.4ghz at 1.3 vcore, stable and temps in the 60's. I am pretty happy with this.

I'm curious why you wouldn't want a Samsung ssd? My new 830 feels like a life changer.
Probably an Apple zealot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom