• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

What's up with that case? Most I've been able to find is this pic:

BCxsz.png

And almost no place is selling it, the most I could find was a Swiss shop where I got that pic. In newegg, it says the item "has been deactivated" and it's not even in the official Cooler Master websites (neither USA nor Spain) so I'm mildly intrigued.
Everyone jumped the gun on listing it, the embargo isn't up until the 16th. CM reps got active in taking down info.

mATX cube that fits 240mm roads and more. Looks pretty stellar in terms of capabilities, and CM is still unmatched in build quality in large production cases.

Looks like the embargo expired. Linus had a look at it and like always he just talks about the positives (except for the foam :p).

Probably great for watercooling with all that space, but I don't really understand all the empty space in the bottom for someone not water cooling.

mkenyon

Banned
Extra HDDs/SSDs whatever.

But yeah, they are seeming to aim it at watercoolers. With the upcoming Eisberg, it makes sense. If that thing is really $100, it's a pretty oustanding deal as far as watercooling ready cases go. So much modding potential there.

tafer

Yeah, Samsung 830 (probably 840/840 Pro too, I'd feel safe in buying one at least) and Crucial M4 are the go-to SSDs for reliability.

Your brother's upgrade looks good, but unless you are planning on eventually going with an unlocked processor on his build (like your 2600K as a hand-me-down), then go with an H77 motherboard to save some money. Throw it in a BitFenix Outlaw, Merc Alpha, Rosewill Challenger, or Diablotek Evo.

There's no point in upgrading to 16GB of RAM really. If you're dead set on it, get the Samsung 30nm RAM as it can clock to 2000/2133 no problem. It's also super low profile which is great.

The Gigabyte 670 Windforce is a silent beast. Definitely the way to go.

Thanks a lot man!

And well, the 16GB is becoming more and more necessary as time goes since I have to virtualize some servers for my work (Database stuff) and for my next project I'll need even more stuff on virtual machines.

And wow at that 30nm RAM! Didn't know about it, once again, thanks for the suggestion!

Your PC is a beast. Would you considering selling it as is if you change your mind about parting the GPU and memory to your bro? Actually, would anyone consider selling your PC? Just PM me with your specs and price. I'd like a decently high end PC (Ivy or Sandy..I can do without SB-E).

Hehe actually, the PC works fine, but my brother really wants a PC and needs some help with it. So I'm giving him the parts I feel I can upgrade. Besides, the shipping costs for a PC would kill any advantage from buying the PC from me. (I'm not in the US)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My father recently got this laptop. We're trying to play I, Robot to test out the 3D, but it won't play because the disc drive's firmware is out-of-date. I went to Dell's site to download the proper update (for PLDS DVDRM/BD-ROM, according to Device Manager), but it isn't helping. Can't get the install to work. How else can I update the firmware? Of course, searching for new updates via Device Manager has proved useless (does that fucking function ever work?).

Ty4on

Extra HDDs/SSDs whatever.

But yeah, they are seeming to aim it at watercoolers. With the upcoming Eisberg, it makes sense. If that thing is really $100, it's a pretty oustanding deal as far as watercooling ready cases go. So much modding potential there.

Then they could squeeze some more HHD cases in the bottom or at least push the PSU inside the case ^^

The Eisberg looks amazing with so many small cases that could get awesome water cooling. Just wonder how it's filled up with the filling port so low down, but "easy" watercooling for Prodigy/SG0X/FT03/LianLi's sounds sweet.

x3r0123

wow partpicker doesnt list all the possible retailers. Found w7 64bit pro for $90. Price matched that and got it down to $75 :)

Sounds like they are trying to get a capital injection to keep them solvent until their new low power and ARM tech is released.

If only the new consoles would ship soon, that'd be a huge help.

Either way, bad news for processors.

While they aren't dead yet but for them to be at such a point is pretty dissapointing. Another salt in the wound showing how their processors just didn't click this time around imo

mkenyon

Banned
They bet big on multithreaded performance and lost. Anything outside of gaming or single threaded performance, and the newest AMD processors are right there with Intel.

In a way, the console cycle has been both a huge benefit (they sell chips) and a huge drawback as engines aren't being updated to properly take advantage of the technology that is out there.

NoRéN

Alright everyone. Some advice please.

Windows 7 or 8?

Looks like windows 7 would cost me about $100 through amazon.
Windows 8 is $40 through Microsoft. However it states that I need to have an OS running. Is this accurate? I'm doing a new build which is why I am asking.

DTKT

NoRéN;44317060 said:

Windows 7 or 8?

Windows 8 is $40 through Microsoft. However it states that I need to have an OS running. Is this accurate? I'm doing a new build which is why I am asking.

I think that the 40$ deal is when you do an upgrade from your existing OS. Anyway, I'd say 7 for now, no real reason to switch to 8 so far.

NoRéN

I think that the 40$ deal is when you do an upgrade from your existing OS. Anyway, I'd say 7 for now, no real reason to switch to 8 so far.
That's what I was afraid of. Just for clarification, when an OS States "System Builder" that means it works for fresh installed on new builds?

mkenyon

Banned
Final two questions!

1. Will this heatsink fit in this case?

2. What should I do with regards to sound card? I can buy a new, cheap one, use my current Creative SB XF-I in my new machine, or use on-board sound. Suggestions?
Buy any of these over the Antec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345009 (usually a $100 case)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345013

As far as soundcard, continue using the one you have unless you are unhappy with it.

They bet big on multithreaded performance and lost. Anything outside of gaming or single threaded performance, and the newest AMD processors are right there with Intel.

In a way, the console cycle has been both a huge benefit (they sell chips) and a huge drawback as engines aren't being updated to properly take advantage of the technology that is out there.

Yikes and then they can't seem to get their processors on the newer transistor sizes fast enough also (its was weird seeing some of there processor still having a 125w TDP). Hopefully they can get the infusion and stay in the game.

NoRéN;44317312 said:
That's what I was afraid of. Just for clarification, when an OS States "System Builder" that means it works for fresh installed on new builds?

IIRC yes since its basically the version used by OEM machines but its supposedly locks to the motherboard in the system so you can't use it again on another motherboard.

xJavonta

Banned
NoRéN;44317060 said:

Windows 7 or 8?

I believe you can install the preview of Windows 8 and "upgrade" your copy of Windows 8 from there instead. I'm not entirely sure though, but someone in the Windows 8 thread should be able to help you like Jzero.

NoRéN

IIRC yes since its basically the version used by OEM machines but its supposedly locks to the motherboard in the system so you can't use it again on another motherboard.
I see. Thank you for the answer.

So, with the ISO installed to a USB, I should just be able to purchase the windows 7 OS and it will just require the cd-key I'm guessing?

I completely forgot to ask
I believe you can install the preview of Windows 8 and "upgrade" your copy of Windows 8 from there instead. I'm not entirely sure though, but someone in the Windows 8 thread should be able to help you like Jzero.

Now, this is interesting. I'll go venture into that thread and see if I can get an answer. Thank you.

xJavonta

Banned
NoRéN;44319478 said:

So, with the ISO installed to a USB, I should just be able to purchase the windows 7 OS and it will just require the cd-key I'm guessing?

Now, this is interesting. I'll go venture into that thread and see if I can get an answer. Thank you.
Yeah found it. Posted by Lynn616:

Run the setup file again from inside Windows and do an upgrade. You will be upgrading your Windows 8 to Windows 8. LOL. Then your activation will work.

That's what I did.

And he did it as well, so that may be enough verification for you

NoRéN;44319478 said:

yea once you run the version from usb it will evetually ask for the key then it should install like normal once you give the key.

Yeah found it. Posted by Lynn616:

And he did it as well, so that may be enough verification for you

Wait this works?

I thought the official line was that you needed a previous OS install under the win 8 preview for that to work

Sullichin

Is the 360 wireless receiver for PC discontinued or something? I'm mostly finding knock offs online and I can't find any in stores except bundled with a controller.

Mad Max

Since my 4+y/o hd4850 has been dropping the ball in terms of performance in some newer games I was thinking I should upgrade. However I've been too busy to really follow the latest hardware news for about 2 years now, so I'm not entirely sure what I should get in terms of a new GPU. My current specs are:

CPU: amd X4 955BE with a coolermaster hyper 212+ (my CPU can run stable at 3,8-4,0ghz iirc)
Mobo: Asus m4a87td evo (basicly a standard am3 board with PCI-e 2.0, Sata3, usb3 etc)
Memory: 12gb ddr3
GPU: hd4850
HDD's: samsung 830 128gb ssd, samsung spinpoint F3 1TB and a few seagate backup drives.
PSU: corsair TX650v2
Monitor: Dell 2209WA (IPS,22",1680x1050)

My budget is about €300, and I found the best performing card that fits this budget almost exactly is the Asus hd7950 DirectCUII Top. However I see people here recommending others to get a hd7970 of gtx670 instead, which are priced at around €360+ here (for the cheaper models). So I was wondering if these are worth the extra money for me, since I'll be playing at a relatively low resolution anyway?

xJavonta

Banned
Is the 360 wireless receiver for PC discontinued or something? I'm mostly finding knock offs online and I can't find any in stores except bundled with a controller.

Knock offs work fine, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works fine in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I've got a 560Ti (not the 448 core one) and was thinking of upgrading to a 670 or similar around March next year. Would this be a decent upgrade? I'll be playing games at 1080p mostly.

Also, my CPU is an i5-2320 3.00GHz. Will this become a bottleneck for my system if I go through with the GPU upgrade or do I not have to worry?

Just going to bring this up again, I'm mostly interested in the second question concerning my CPU.

Prozel

Well, a 680 ordered. With a difference of $85 dollars only from 670 I felt like spending the extra money. I know it's only a reference but I've read and asked and they shoulnd't be too loud.

Really looking forward to play with it. :D

Knock offs work fine, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works fine in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Yah, they did this a while ago. Unless you go on either Amazon or Ebay to get either an official one or a bootleg you won't find the receiver by it's self anywhere. Speaking of which I need to get me another one, thanks for reminding me =)

Jharp

I really like that Bitfenix Raider, so I switched it for the Antec One I was going to get. So I'm like ready to buy this right now. In fact, I'd put the order in right now before work because it went up another $30 and I need to nab it before it goes up any further. Only problem is that the SSD I wanted to get is out of stock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163). Will it get back in stock relatively quickly or is there an equivalent/better one you guys recommend?

Birbo

Does anyone have any recommendations for a horizontal case? Ideally I'd like something like an Alienware X51, but if I can build it myself I can get various parts from different family members for Christmas. Something with a smaller form factor as I plan on hooking it up to my TV and space is limited.

Jharp

Sorry for triple post, but as anyone ever used newegg will call? I live remarkably close to City of Industry (my house to their office is 12.3 miles, 27 minutes according to google maps) and figure I can get the thing quicker and safer if I pick it all up myself, right? Plus it saves me roughly $30.

I really like that Bitfenix Raider, so I switched it for the Antec One I was going to get. So I'm like ready to buy this right now. In fact, I'd put the order in right now before work because it went up another $30 and I need to nab it before it goes up any further. Only problem is that the SSD I wanted to get is out of stock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163). Will it get back in stock relatively quickly or is there an equivalent/better one you guys recommend?

Order it without the SSD and get it from Amazon.com. It's actually $21 cheaper and in stock;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077CR60Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thraktor

Just stopped by my local computer shop and they had the ASRock FM2 ITX boards in stock. I couldn't resist. Now I just need to finalize a case and buy an A10. Can't wait to run some overclocked benches on it with the Samsung 30nm RAM. I'm hoping for good things. Comfy couch gaming in a tiny form factor could be pretty rad.

Let us know how high you manage to clock the Samsung 30nm on that board. I've been pretty tempted to put together something based on it myself as a HTPC/comfy couch gaming PC.

1-D_FTW

Sorry for triple post, but as anyone ever used newegg will call? I live remarkably close to City of Industry (my house to their office is 12.3 miles, 27 minutes according to google maps) and figure I can get the thing quicker and safer if I pick it all up myself, right? Plus it saves me roughly $30.

What's the risk? I say go for it. Every time I check out from Newegg, I wish I had the option of choosing it.

beje

Banned
Looks like the embargo expired. Linus had a look at it and like always he just talks about the positives (except for the foam :p).

Probably great for watercooling with all that space, but I don't really understand all the empty space in the bottom for someone not water cooling.

OMG, it screams for filling it to the brim with LED fans, and UV cathods and... :D~~~~~

Edit: I measured the thing and there's no way it can fit anywhere in my already cramped room T___T I'm seriously considering switching my mobo with a microATX and go Silverstone TJ08-E.

This one seems good, with incredible reviews on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

I threw it into my build, and I need some last minute review before I buy this system when I get home this afternoon. Please, guys, be as critical as you can!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20790465

That is pretty close to my first build here once I get all of the parts tomorrow, except I am getting 2x8 sticks of Vengeance RAM, but everything else is pretty similar besides the case, power supply, and I think the hard drive (well and more RAM too).

Also thanks for the suggestions on the earlier page on either Windows 7 or 8. I'm more worried about my 3D/Unity3D work and so on, but I guess they both are supported by windows 8 so I think I may just jump in and give it a shot.

mkenyon

Banned
Let us know how high you manage to clock the Samsung 30nm on that board. I've been pretty tempted to put together something based on it myself as a HTPC/comfy couch gaming PC.
Will do. Holiday season is just around the corner which means I'm going to start needing to spend my fun money on people besides my wife and I. Might be a little bit.
OMG, it screams for filling it to the brim with LED fans, and UV cathods and... :D~~~~~

Edit: I measured the thing and there's no way it can fit anywhere in my already cramped room T___T I'm seriously considering switching my mobo with a microATX and go Silverstone TJ08-E.
It's a great case. What's your current motherboard?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a horizontal case? Ideally I'd like something like an Alienware X51, but if I can build it myself I can get various parts from different family members for Christmas. Something with a smaller form factor as I plan on hooking it up to my TV and space is limited.
Here's the SFF guide, additionally there is the Fractal Node 304 for ITX, and the Fractal Node 605 for ATX.

just bought a 7950...didn't think a 7970 would fit in my case and I have a 600 watt psu and a shitty processor (1055t, but I can overclock it to 4.3 ghz)

I hope I can run BF3 at ultra @ 60 FPS

Sullichin

Yah, they did this a while ago. Unless you go on either Amazon or Ebay to get either an official one or a bootleg you won't find the receiver by it's self anywhere. Speaking of which I need to get me another one, thanks for reminding me =)

Yeah I'll buy a knockoff... any one in particular? Some of these are getting bad reviews. I wonder why it's discontinued, considering most PC games have 360 controller support / button prompts...

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this- I wanted some advice over whether I can upgrade my graphics card, and if so whether it's actually worthwhile doing so.

My current specs are-

E6750 Core 2 Duo
NVidia 8800GT
Asus P5K SE Intel P35 Chipset LGA775 motherboard
Hiper 580W PSU

I'd like to upgrade to an HD7850. First of all, is my PSU OK for that? I think it has 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors so it should be OK in that respect, but am I missing anything obvious?

My motherboard has a 16x PCI-E slot, but it's only PCI-E 2.0- are 3.0 cards OK with it?

Finally, even if all the above is OK, would my old-ass processor be such a bottleneck that it wouldn't be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any help.

kennah

You'll be fine. You'd see a huge increase, but definitely would see a huger one if you replaced your CPU, but that can wait until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom