• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3r0123

turns out i have two tigerdirects near me. do you guys know what time they are opening and is there a confirmation that they are all doing a 3570k deal?

forgot to mention that its in canada, not sure about the states
edit: open at 5AM for those in canada

Celegus

7770 Ghz Edition GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687 (Far Cry 3 free)
Intel blows AMD out of the water so get a G860: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116405
You want 2x4GB so you get double memory bandwidth, so two 8GB kits.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

And the motherboard... you are going dangerously budget. I found this to match:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130656

Thanks for the tips. I've generally gone pretty skimpy on the mobo in my previous builds, never really noticed an issue. Though I'm far from an expert on the subject, so perhaps I've been going about it the wrong way.

x3r0123

Intel Retail Edge has 3770k for 105USD
shipping to canada is like $38
deal goes live on the 28th

Damn, no stores east of Ontario. Hopefully something comparable will show up online.

they are Toronto and GTA

bfads shows the $150 price and 5am store opening...guess i know where i'm going tomorrow
i would love to have someone pickup one for me. I'll check if i can do a PM with Memory express

coopolon

Started working on building my new computer. Installing the hyper evo is not trivial. Getting the retaining bracket right took a bit of fidgeting and still the heatsink wiggles a tiny bit. Turkey day tomorrow so won't get back to it till Friday, hopefully as the thermal paste firms up that will go away.

x3r0123

here ya go CDN-GAF

25aatn4oc5.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This video card was brought up a few posts back

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404

I was going to buy a 7850 for about the same price so was thinking about pulling the trigger on this. I need a new power supply and was looking at the vp450. Would the Antec vp450 power the 7870? I was told it would the 7850, any other suggestions for power supplies?

Thanks for any help.
BF/CM is a great tiem to get a solid PSU for cheap after rebate so I'd hold off on a VP450 for now and see what pops up. That card is a good buy after rebate.
Started working on building my new computer. Installing the hyper evo is not trivial. Getting the retaining bracket right took a bit of fidgeting and still the heatsink wiggles a tiny bit. Turkey day tomorrow so won't get back to it till Friday, hopefully as the thermal paste firms up that will go away.
Pretty common on most coolers to twist around a bit after install. Just see if temps are good.
Pro is $600+. I hear the performance is worse but the price is right.
Seems like the 500GB mitigates a good bit of the slowness, hope it works out well for you.

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ / 2x1GB DDR2 800 sticks / Gigabyte M61P-S3 / nVidia GeForce GTS 250 (eVGA) / XFX Core 550w
Budget: $500-600, USA
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 until I get a new monitor and finally get to the promised land of 1920x1080.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and PlanetSide 2.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I'll be reusing the XFX Core 550w PSU as I bought that last year in December.
When will you build?: Either by Christmas or before that Windows 8 $40 upgrade deal goes away.
Will you be overclocking?: Only if I find a deal like that i5 2500k two days ago.

Now I've been building a list of parts that I may be buying. Lots of good deals popping around right now.

CPU: i3 3220
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB Hard Drive
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite - White

Total after tax: $553.84

Any thoughts about this build? If there's better deals out there then please tell me. I want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck that I can.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ / 2x1GB DDR2 800 sticks / Gigabyte M61P-S3 / nVidia GeForce GTS 250 (eVGA) / XFX Core 550w
Budget: $500-600, USA
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 until I get a new monitor and finally get to the promised land of 1920x1080.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and PlanetSide 2.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I'll be reusing the XFX Core 550w PSU as I bought that last year in December.
When will you build?: Either by Christmas or before that Windows 8 $40 upgrade deal goes away.
Will you be overclocking?: Only if I find a deal like that i5 2500k two days ago.

Now I've been building a list of parts that I may be buying. Lots of good deals popping around right now.

CPU: i3 3220
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB Hard Drive
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite - White

Total after tax: $553.84

Any thoughts about this build? If there's better deals out there then please tell me. I want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck that I can.
If you have any money now I'd buy the ASRock and be on high alert for deals on other things, might have some flash sales on old 2500K stock for low prices. That 3220 for $100 isn't bad though (You need to pick it up in store)

Build itself is fine.
any input on this? i'm ready to pull the trigger
btw i'm also going to need a psu. looking for something cheap but can handle a 7870
That will do fine.
Check around here and slickdeals for PSUs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489

Is a better deal for 16 GB likely to come around before next Black Friday? I don't need this much right now, and probably won't for quite some time, but it would be nice to have.
Comes and goes.

Well crap. Looks like I missed out on the motherboard combo.

Or something funky is happening on that page. I refreshed it and it went to $119.99 then refreshed it again for $99.99. The ram isn't showing in the cart though. =/

I know this thread is kind of US centric, but where can a continental euroGAF buy his things? I think mainland online stores ship everywhere nowadays (while UK stores probably don't)

beje

Banned
I know this thread is kind of US centric, but where can a continental euroGAF buy his things? I think mainland online stores ship everywhere nowadays (while UK stores probably don't)

I get most stuff from the different Amazon webs (UK, Spain, Germany...) and local online retailers. Asking around in a technology forum from your country could help to know where do people score the best deals.

brogan

Neo Member
I apologise in advance for the stupid questions.

I've bought a system which has this motherboard:-

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Do I need to buy a sound card or does the board have onboard sound etc? I'll be connecting it to my TV.

Also, do I need a wifi card? Without I assume I can't connect to a wirless router? I don't have the option of ethernet in new room. Should I just buy a USB wifi thing? And which are good options?

Sorry, I'm an idiot in need of help!

kharma45

Change the RAM then to the 30nm Samsung stuff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd look at a different PSU too. You could get this for the same price as the one you're looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

I apologise in advance for the stupid questions.

I've bought a system which has this motherboard:-

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Do I need to buy a sound card or does the board have onboard sound etc? I'll be connecting it to my TV.

Also, do I need a wifi card? Without I assume I can't connect to a wirless router? I don't have the option of ethernet in new room. Should I just buy a USB wifi thing? And which are good options?

Sorry, I'm an idiot in need of help!

All boards have on-board sound,

And yeah you'll need a WiFi card, either a PCIe one or a USB one.

brogan

Neo Member
Change the RAM then to the 30nm Samsung stuff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd look at a different PSU too. You could get this for the same price as the one you're looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

All boards have on-board sound,

And yeah you'll need a WiFi card, either a PCIe one or a USB one.

Thanks for the reply!

Okay I'll not bother with a sound card.

Would you recommed one kind over the other with the wifi card, or are both similar for signal strength etc?

Nymerio

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC next year, is there anything I can look forward to that's not already available today? Any new GPUs coming that are worth waiting for? Or will 2013 be a boring year in terms of tech?

kharma45

Thanks for the reply!

Okay I'll not bother with a sound card.

Would you recommed one kind over the other with the wifi card, or are both similar for signal strength etc?

I'll be honest and say I don't know which is better. At home I've got two USB ones and they've never put a foot wrong but recently I helped a guy with a build and he used a PCI one and he says it's rock solid too, so I don't know which way to go :p

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC next year, is there anything I can look forward to that's not already available today? Any new GPUs coming that are worth waiting for? Or will 2013 be a boring year in terms of tech?

There'll be new GPUs, what they're like it's a matter of speculation. We won't know for sure for a while yet. Intel will also have their next 'Tock' upgrade for CPUs when they launch a new socket and launch Haswell.

I was thinking about temporarily using an old PSU in the PC I'm about to build; it's a few years old, and is more of a stop gap solution until I can afford a really good modular PSU. So, my question is will my old Win Power ATX 600L be able to cope with my new PC?

CPU: i5 3570k
GPU : 7950 or 7970 (undecided at the moment)
RAM : 8gb
HDD: SSDx1 SATA HDDx4
DRIVE : DVD-RW Drive
MB : Asrock z77 Pro4

I probably only plan on using my old PSU until either just before or after Christmas, at which point it'll be replaced with a modular one.

kennah

Gonna have to stay out of this thread until Black Friday is over :( Can't afford any of these sweet CPU deals. Hold on Q6600, hold on.

Nymerio

I'll be honest and say I don't know which is better. At home I've got two USB ones and they've never put a foot wrong but recently I helped a guy with a build and he used a PCI one and he says it's rock solid too, so I don't know which way to go :p

There'll be new GPUs, what they're like it's a matter of speculation. We won't know for sure for a while yet. Intel will also have their next 'Tock' upgrade for CPUs when they launch a new socket and launch Haswell.

I'm just asking because my friend was saying that it won't make any difference if I upgrade now or next year, because according to him, there won't be any stuff out that's better than what I could get today. My current setup is still good enough for me, so I don't have a problem waiting for some time before commiting.

kharma45

I'm just asking because my friend was saying that it won't make any difference if I upgrade now or next year, because according to him, there won't be any stuff out that's better than what I could get today. My current setup is still good enough for me, so I don't have a problem waiting for some time before commiting.

Haswell won't be a huge leap forward I don't think but if you're not in need of an upgrade I'd personally wait and buy it next year when it comes out, something to be said for having the latest tech :p Of course when Haswell will actually release is another thing, late Spring would be an optimistic bet.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was thinking about temporarily using an old PSU in the PC I'm about to build; it's a few years old, and is more of a stop gap solution until I can afford a really good modular PSU. So, my question is will my old Win Power ATX 600L be able to cope with my new PC?

CPU: i5 3570k
GPU : 7950 or 7970 (undecided at the moment)
RAM : 8gb
HDD: SSDx1 SATA HDDx4
DRIVE : DVD-RW Drive
MB : Asrock z77 Pro4

I probably only plan on using my old PSU until either just before or after Christmas, at which point it'll be replaced with a modular one.
Please don't hook up all that pricey new hardware to a 6 year old non quality PSU.
New GPU stuff should be good.
Haswell will probably be a lukewarm upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

Please don't hook up all that pricey new hardware to a 6 year old non quality PSU.

Well, when you put it like that, it is a terrible idea. Oh well, considering how much this build is going to cost me, it better blow out my eye sockets in terms of graphical fidelity.

Hmm 3770 is only $80 more than 3570 on Newegg right now....

So that would make my final build:

Case: Define R4
CPU: i7 3770k
Fan: Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7950
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620
RAM: GSkill Ares 2x8GB v1.5 DDR3 1600
SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB

good to go?

Ty4on

I found a store selling OEM cards. It's a legit store that has been around for some years and been reviewed, but this was the first time I saw AMD (not Powercolor or Asus) cards for sale. If you've ever seen reviews of the Radeon 7XXX cards you might have noticed AMD made a big blower cooler for the 7900 series and a smaller for the 7800 series. They also had a radial reference cooler for the 7X50 cards so there were no blower 7850s or 7950s (except for HIS' non reference one) sold. I found OEM blower 7950s and 7850s which is great for cases that need it like SFF or vertical.

My question though is how stupid would it be to buy an OEM card? Do you get anything other than the card and what about warrenty? They're a little cheaper and much nicer looking than regular reference cards :p Shame the blower 7850 is just a 1GB.

Noise on small blowers will of course be worse than big dual fan coolers, but it's not that bad.

kharma45

Hmm 3770 is only $80 more than 3570 on Newegg right now....

So that would make my final build:

Case: Define R4
CPU: i7 3770k
Fan: Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7950
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620
RAM: GSkill Ares 2x8GB v1.5 DDR3 1600
SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB

good to go?

What are you doing that you need 16GB of RAM for? and the 3770K too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom