• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
ummmm... resolution is actually not that big of a factor in terms of performance. 1080p to 1440p makes you usually drop at most a handful of framerate (ymmv duh).
Yes, it is. You're talking about the difference between rendering 2.073 million pixels and 3.672 million pixels. That's a significant difference, and can have a very significant impact on 99th percentile frame time.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yes, it is. You're talking about the difference between rendering 2.073 million pixels and 3.672 million pixels. That's a significant difference, and can have a very significant impact on 99th percentile frame time.

Meh. That's just a handful of pixels.

Koroviev

Anyone have success using an Nvidia card for PhysX in conjunction with an AMD card as the primary GPU? Recently, of course.

Edit: Anyone interested in a 1GB Zotac 650ti? New in box. I'd probably sell for a good $20 below the average.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just for future reference, this is my current main computer build as of currently.

- NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel
Which I just posted and is replacing my Antec Nine Hundred Two case
- ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge CPU
Currently with stock heatsink, soon to possibly be replaced by this heatsink which I recently bought:
+ ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B
- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
- XFX Black Edition HD-687A-ZDBC Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU
- CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU
- SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064B/WW 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
- 4x 2TB HDD drives
+ 1 Samsung, 2 Seagate, 1 Hitachi
- And Windows 7 64-Bit, of course.

My thoughts on possible future upgrades.
- A smaller heatsink if my ZALMAN is big enough to be dangerous to carry the case around.
- Getting around to putting the ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B in my case as my new heatsink. If it is safe and not too heavy. I don't want to have to worry about carrying the case as damaging the system
- Replacing my Intel 2500K with an Intel Core i7-3770k. Which is the best CPU I can currently get on my LGA 1155 motherboard.
- Replacing my XFX HD 6870 with an XFX Double D FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD 7970Black Edition 3GB
- Getting a second HD 7970 and crossfiring it. All depends on how much money I have and how soon the 8000 series comes out.
- An internal capture card capable of recording and casting PlayStation 3 gaming onto my PC desktop with low latency. I was looking into a Hauppauge Colossus for that. I want to play next gen console games on my PC, even if it is just through a capture card.
- Possibly investing in more hard drives and a raid card. Because I use a lot of data.
- Invest in a more reliable or higher capacity SSD

And that's it. There's really not many more upgrades I could do beyond that as technology currently sits. Technically I could buy a GeForce Titan and an LGA 2011 motherboard to put Intel's latest and absolute greatest CPU in short of a high end server CPU. But that would be a pointless waste of money that I could spend on video games while technology gets better anyway.
Just clean out your Antec 900 and use your saved case money for a GPU upgrade after you install your cooler.
Return the 9900 (Expensive, heavy, and not that great a cooler) if you can for a rifle cooler like the 212 EVO or ZALMAN CNPS7X if you are worried about weight (or water even if you want).

Got you mixed up with someone else.
Meh. That's just a handful of pixels.
No need to have that tone here :)

Pandemic

So I've now narrowed it down to two builds, but here are a few questions I answered from the first post,
Your Current Specs: Nothing important, all parts are useless.
Budget: $2000 (give or take) - Australia
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: Resolution..? Doesn't really bother me, just something nice I guess? A new monitor could be included.
What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: The latest and upcoming games, should last for a few years at least.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes (I'll learn)

2013-02-25_0749.png

And..
ExYZXEF.jpg

Apparently the HAF X case allows a lot of dust to enter the case?
And I was told there's no point getting the 4GB GPU since I'll only be playing it on one monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alongside any recommendations.

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I've now narrowed it down to two builds, but here are a few questions I answered from the first post,

ExYZXEF.jpg

Apparently the HAF X case allows a lot of dust to enter the case?
And I was told there's no point getting the 4GB GPU since I'll only be playing it on one monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alongside any recommendations.

Thanks.
2nd build preferred. Nab a 212 EVO for the heatsink.
7970 over 680 unless you prefer nVidia.
The WD Black is a fast and loud drive (but usually more reliable). You could get a 2TB Seagate and a 1TB WD Blue for the same price which should be quieter and can act as a backup or recording drive.
4GB cards are right now currently way overkill for games (Even 2GB cards are in 95% of cases), dunno how it'll be in 2-3 years with all the unified memory on consoles.

Everything else looks good.
Why the 3770k? It offers no advantage in games over the 3570k.
Because it's a 2 grand purchase and the threads could help later.
A bit off topic but,

Is this rust? How can I clean it off, or do I have to get a new one?
I'm not an expert, I'd just take a kitchen sponge to it. It's not near the contacts. How about the USB port on your case?

Pandemic

2nd build preferred. Nab a 212 EVO for the heatsink.
7970 over 680 unless you prefer nVidia.
The WD Black is a fast and loud drive (but usually more reliable). You could get a 2TB Seagate and a 1TB WD Blue for the same price which should be quieter and can act as a backup or recording drive.
4GB cards are right now currently way overkill for games (Even 2GB cards are in 95% of cases), dunno how it'll be in 2-3 years with all the unified memory on consoles.

Everything else looks good.

Because it's a 2 grand purchase and the threads could help later.

I'm not an expert, I'd just take a kitchen sponge to it. It's not near the contacts. How about the USB port on your case?

Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

7970? Is it better than the 680? I am a fan of nVidia, never tried other graphic card brands.

I think 2TB will be more than enough, I have 1TB on the current PC and I still have 300GB left..

So do you recommend I stick with a 2GB? Although I wouldn't mind having the 4GB if it ensures I can play the latest games on high/ultra settings..? :s

Also, is their any difference with the two MOBO's (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and ASRock Z77 Extreme4)? I'm just looking at the prices, hence I think the Gigabyte would be longer lasting..? :p

yyyeaa no clue how the rust got there.

But my 360 controller go way back... and you know, shit happens in college :S

I guess ill try scrubbing some coke on it later!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
pretty sweet my 7850 came with the code for Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

When I upgraded in 2007, I purchased the 2900XT without realising it came with The Black Box (The Orange Box minus Half-Life 2 and Episode One). Suffice it to say that I was pleasantly surprised when began to piece together the system.

Swapped out my Asrock z77 pro4 motherboard for an extreme4, and I'm shocked that Windows 7 booted up fine. Never had that before, always had to reinstall Windows with a new motherboard. I'd cleared up my 128gb SSD in preparation of a fresh install, backed up data and, now for the time being, I don't need to. I wonder if it's because the boards are so similar, so consequently Windows 7 didn't flip out and booted up just fine.

ss_lemonade

Why the 3770k? It offers no advantage in games over the 3570k.
Looks like it does with Crysis 3 :)

Swapped out my Asrock z77 pro4 motherboard for an extreme4, and I'm shocked that Windows 7 booted up fine. Never had that before, always had to reinstall Windows with a new motherboard. I'd cleared up my 128gb SSD in preparation of a fresh install, backed up data and, now for the time being, I don't need to. I wonder if it's because the boards are so similar, so consequently Windows 7 didn't flip out and booted up just fine.
I once switched boards between 2 different manufacturers and didn't run into a problem. I did do a reformat at the end of the day though lol

Burger

Why do companies insist on putting LEDs in everything? I'm trying to build a tasteful PC that doesn't strobe like a disco. I get this Creative sound card because it was in a black shroud. So what do they do? put two bright as fuck red LEDs. I pulled them out today..... good riddance.

I'm going to do the same for my case. Putting my computer to sleep (so I can get some sleep) for some reason makes this horrendous giant blue LED flash on and off like it's trying to signal the mothership. Who designed this shit? (Fractal Core)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

7970? Is it better than the 680? I am a fan of nVidia, never tried other graphic card brands.

I think 2TB will be more than enough, I have 1TB on the current PC and I still have 300GB left..

So do you recommend I stick with a 2GB? Although I wouldn't mind having the 4GB if it ensures I can play the latest games on high/ultra settings..? :s

Also, is their any difference with the two MOBO's (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and ASRock Z77 Extreme4)? I'm just looking at the prices, hence I think the Gigabyte would be longer lasting..? :p
7970 is a better value than a 680 and has more vRAM. Drivers have come a long way. I think you should get some free games out of it, but not sure since you are in AUS.
The RAM on GPUs is mostly for texture packs, mod overhauls, and lots of extra AA. It adds no performance. Usually the card will get to an unplayable framerate before it runs out of memory and is a non-issue.

I only mention the other drives because the WD Black is loud. It's a good drive though compared to what else is on the market now.

Mobo differences are small to the end user. I just know the ASRocks have been good buys for value and usually offer more voltage regulators than others at their price points (good).
I'm going to do the same for my case. Putting my computer to sleep (so I can get some sleep) for some reason makes this horrendous giant blue LED flash on and off like it's trying to signal the mothership. Who designed this shit? (Fractal Core)
I can't seem to find what I remember reading once, which was crushing the LED with pliers or something? That sounds wrong though!

AkIRA_22

Mate don't be a fan of a GPU... it makes no sense, just go with the best bang for your buck. Nothing offers that better than a 7970.

I'm a proponent of Asrock, mainly because they offer everything the other more 'popular' brands do for much less price.

The amount of video memory won't effect you if you are on 1080, 2GB is loads, it won't really increase frame rates.

cripterion

Haha yeah I have the fractal design R3 and it's annoying as hell. I usually cover it up with my 360 gamepad whenever I put the PC to sleep.

Burger

I can't seem to find what I remember reading once, which was crushing the LED with pliers or something? That sounds wrong though!

I'm just going to unplug the wire from the motherboard, and probably the HDD LED as well. Both are pretty useless.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm just going to unplug the wire from the motherboard, and probably the HDD LED as well. Both are pretty useless.
Oh just those? Yeah you can unplug them. Could try some filters / cutting the small plastic that channels the light.

It's late, I really should avoid posting at these times.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Question: Is there any way to get 5.1 out via the optical out of my Gigabyte g1 sniper 3?

(My amp is having major problems with hdmi and needs to be replaced so optical is my only choice)

Talents

Banned
Hey everyone.

So my computer arrived and I'm just putting the graphics card in. Nub question here but there are 2 PCI-E sockets in my graphics card, do I connect both of them to the PSU?

Pandemic

7970 is a better value than a 680 and has more vRAM. Drivers have come a long way. I think you should get some free games out of it, but not sure since you are in AUS.
The RAM on GPUs is mostly for texture packs, mod overhauls, and lots of extra AA. It adds no performance. Usually the card will get to an unplayable framerate before it runs out of memory and is a non-issue.

I only mention the other drives because the WD Black is loud. It's a good drive though compared to what else is on the market now.

Mobo differences are small to the end user. I just know the ASRocks have been good buys for value and usually offer more voltage regulators than others at their price points (good).

Thanks for the response mate, appreciate your help.

So I'm getting a better graphics card if I go for the 7970, which will allow me to play upcoming games on good settings? Not even sure why I'm a ''fan'' of nVidia, just been using their graphics card for a while. For some reason i have a feeling I'll have issues with a Radeon graphics card?

Don't think the loudness will bother me, well hopefully it won't..

Hmmm, so their isn't much difference between the two MOBO's?

Mate don't be a fan of a GPU... it makes no sense, just go with the best bang for your buck. Nothing offers that better than a 7970.

I'm a proponent of Asrock, mainly because they offer everything the other more 'popular' brands do for much less price.

The amount of video memory won't effect you if you are on 1080, 2GB is loads, it won't really increase frame rates.

Thanks for the response too, appreciate it.

So the Radeon 7970 is a great graphics card?

Yeah, I'll probably be playing at 1080, so hopefully you're right with the 2GB's being loads.

Just bought the Extreme4, it's a great board for a fairly cheap price. Not to mention it's great for overclocking; in fact, there's a really fantastic, in depth overclocking tutorial on youtube from an Aussie, the guy uses an asrock board, goes into great detail about how offset, fixed and auto settings work, and how they can help you find your CPU's optimum overclock setting. Of course, at the end of the day you go for the board which best suits what you're hooking up to it.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
There is no TV that is 120Hz. They use post processing to try and blend everything together to make it appear as though it were at 120Hz when it isn't. You need a dual link DVI or Displayport to display 1080p @ 120Hz.

So you understand, a 690 = literally two 680s, so it is ALWAYS SLI. Two 690s = Quad SLI, and runs like garbage.

Some games are entirely bottlenecked by the CPU frequency. You'll want to get it to 4.5ish if you are pushing for 3D Gaming.

I think going with a single 670 and then adding a second if you aren't happy with the performance is a good way to go. You can find them used for fairly cheap these days.

Just to clarify that point, playing a game in 3D negligibly increases CPU usage. So if you are playing a CPU constrained game at 60FPS and your GPU is powerful enough then going to 3D will only drop you to ~55ish.

Thanks! 670 sounds pretty good now. I guess I'll have to start overclocking as well, and get a 650W power supply. And all that extra activity probably means a better cooling fan than the stock CPU fan, right?

As for the monitor, is the Asus VG278H really the best monitor, and if so, is it worth $600?

TheD

The Detective
Great.....

I think I need a new motherboard, kind of not OK to have a 124 (lack of power) BSOD when idling!

Stupid AS(s)rock.

Anyone know what 1155 boards have shit VRMs and thus can be avoided?

kharma45

Great.....

I think I need a new motherboard, kind of not OK to have a 124 (lack of power) BSOD when idling!

Stupid AS(s)rock.

Anyone know what 1155 boards have shit VRMs and thus can be avoided?

ASROCK stuff is generally solid, just sounds like you got unlucky.

Don't know if 'pictures of your builds' is a thing we do around here. But it would seem like it is.

I figured I would take some pictures of my old build, before I put it in my new case or make any other upgrades. For comparison and nostalgia purposes. Also to show how much I cleaned it up.

jbrrwhhTfACQ3M.png

Pictures are of horrible quality because I took it with my cell phone. I have a real camera, but I'm too lazy to go grab it. HD 6870 not there because I've been cleaning both the PCI-E slot and the card.

jb2JmG6CNfDi2O.png

That top PCI-E slot was the one filled with dust that I can to clean. With a lot of toothpicking and canned air, I managed to get it to this point. If you can even make out whether there's dust in it at all from the bad picture. Just take my word for it that it looks a lot better.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't know if 'pictures of your builds' is a thing we do around here. But it would seem like it is.

I figured I would take some pictures of my old build, before I put it in my new case or make any other upgrades. For comparison and nostalgia purposes. Also to show how much I cleaned it up.

jbrrwhhTfACQ3M.png

Pictures are of horrible quality because I took it with my cell phone. I have a real camera, but I'm too lazy to go grab it. HD 6870 not there because I've been cleaning both the PCI-E slot and the card.

That top PCI-E slot was the one filled with dust that I can to clean. With a lot of toothpicking and canned air, I managed to get it to this point. If you can even make out whether there's dust in it at all from the bad picture. Just take my word for it that it looks a lot better.
Put your RAM in the same colored slots so they run dual channel.

Also stop using the toothpick or be careful you don't push back any of the contact pins in the slot (Making an assumption here).

Also stop using the toothpick
Ack, I wish somebody said something about that before.

I sure hope I didn't damage it. Is there any way of knowing if I did other than it not working at all? Now I'm worried about something else again. Darn, this is a $300 motherboard, I don't want anything bad to happen to it. I wanto to be able to use it to its full potential as long as LGA 1155 is still viable.

Also, I'll pay attention to your advice about the RAM. Sorry, I don't know much about RAM slot technicalities.

Last picture with the graphics card in, though not screwed in and not connected with PCI-E power cables. So you can see how close it is to the PSU. Or something.
jlKyOoFDcEEAl.png

Okay, that's enough pictures and nostalgia or whatever. Time to take everything out and put it in the new case. I think I wanted a keepsake for all of that wiring I did.

V_Arnold

Hey folks!

I have just one simple question.
I currently have an Ati Radeon HD4850 with 1gb vram.
(It sits with 8gb ddr3, a Phenom II 550 and I do not know what type of motherboard exactly, but it supports DDR3 on rams, so it is not that bad, I guess).

I do not want much more "firepower" from my GPU. What I want is this:
a. A slight-to-modest upgrade
b. To not overheat and go crazy upon any sight of pressure (playing Path of Exile/SCII mainly on this pc)
c. To consume less power and be potentially smaller in size or not larger than my 4850.

Is this possible for a reasonable price? (sub-200$, basically)
I do not want power gains, I want that card to simply be more efficient. And I suspect that I might need to get a new cooler since I am using the stock fan on my CPU and it easily goes crazy on any kind of temp rise, and pushes 5-6000 rpm to keep that CPU no more than +60 celsius. But I would want to eliminate any sound/consumption bonus that might come with the already - I assume - outdated 4850.

kharma45

Hey folks!

I have just one simple question.
I currently have an Ati Radeon HD4850 with 1gb vram.
(It sits with 8gb ddr3, a Phenom II 550 and I do not know what type of motherboard exactly, but it supports DDR3 on rams, so it is not that bad, I guess).

I do not want much more "firepower" from my GPU. What I want is this:
a. A slight-to-modest upgrade
b. To not overheat and go crazy upon any sight of pressure (playing Path of Exile/SCII mainly on this pc)
c. To consume less power and be potentially smaller in size or not larger than my 4850.

Is this possible for a reasonable price? (sub-200$, basically)
I do not want power gains, I want that card to simply be more efficient. And I suspect that I might need to get a new cooler since I am using the stock fan on my CPU and it easily goes crazy on any kind of temp rise, and pushes 5-6000 rpm to keep that CPU no more than +60 celsius. But I would want to eliminate any sound/consumption bonus that might come with the already - I assume - outdated 4850.

If you want a lower TDP the 7770 is a decent option but I'd go for the 7850, it'll be a great step up.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Guys what's the best suited graphics card for an Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz with 8GB Ram? It's for a friend but I'm not totally upto date on GPU's. It's the only info I have atm.

kharma45

Thanks, I will look into that. Is there any way to determine whether that PCI-E 3.0 is any different from 2.0, compatibility wise?

This is my motherboard, btw

It's all backwards compatible.

Guys what's the best suited graphics card for an Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz with 8GB Ram? It's for a friend but I'm not totally upto date on GPU's. It's the only info I have atm.

The only limit is your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom