• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vossler

Just bought a second 670 DCU II TOP to go sli in my new case. Found it at a discounted price, as well. Excited to see what I can achieve with crysis 3, now having 2 670s, and a full tower case.

Ty4on

I currently have a GTX 680, and plan on picking up another one after this initial build. Hmmm, Maybe the 3770k is overkill...

Speaking of the Windows 7 ISO; if you don't currently have a physical copy of windows 7, how do you get a license for it? It's hard to find an answer on the Window's site, since they're pushing 8 stuff everywhere. Or is it just better to buy it retail somewhere?

Even in the few games that can use the extra threads the 3570k is better value for money. Those 100$ will do much more in a better GPU or upgrades later.

moka

Dammit. I accidentally ordered an i5 3570 instead of a 3570k, and I was too late to cancel the order from Amazon. This will be my first Amazon return :/.

Now I'm wondering if I should opt for a 3770k; my plan was to overclock the 3570k, but I'm wondering if the extra 100 bucks is worth getting the faster CPU... I do want to futureproof this thing.

Just return and get a 3570k and overclock that. Extra $100 for the 3770k is overkill and probably not worth it, even if you are looking to futureproof.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Really? According to TekSyndicate the AMD 8350 was really good that was the one I originally recommended him to get but because of his budget he took it down to the 6100.
As mkenyon nicely pointed out, TekSyndicate is just jerking off redditors.

His tests lack any sort of procedure, reproducibility, and frankly some of his numbers are impossible.

You don't magically get 2x the performance out of thin air in some cases. It's not an Intel conspiracy. If he wanted to flip the world upside down he better have the testing and science to back it up. Instead he posts videos that don't even tell people what settings he ran (Max is not a setting, 'While streaming performance' is not a setting). When he states 'Twice the performance, wow' he doesn't fucking even look into those one time results or question why they are what they are.

Instead he just fished for views TWICE with two shitty videos while he spewed pure 100% bullshit from his mouth. FUCK TEKSYNDICATE. Nothing has spurred me more to want to get a website up.
Most disgusting thing? People setting out to disprove it on Youtube/Reddit got Downvoted/Thumbs Down'd massively from idiots who can't be bothered to think.

sprinkles

It runs!
At least to the Bios. So much for my dream of a driveless, quiet case? It seems that my USB Stick with Windows 8 is broken, or the setup to create it, which I did a few weeks ago, went wrong somewhere. Onto the troubleshooting..
Used another USB stick and I got it working, such a great feeling after a couple hours of stress. The sound the cpu makes when it is getting fixated nearly caused me a heart attack!
Idle temperatures looking good (i5-3570K 26°C, Gigabyte 7950 29°C), which programs are recommended to see those under stress?

Dave_6

I have this left to buy:

Mobo: ASRock Extreme 4
CPU: i5-3570K
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620
Optical drive (ASUS DVD only. Have two Blu-ray players already.)

Also misc stuff like Windows 7 and possibly a new monitor and KBM, though I plan to have this thing hooked up to my TV most of the time.

Not much left; only ~$550 worth so I may as well get it all ordered here in the next week and then I'll be done finally.

mkenyon

Banned
Cross post from the mouse thread:

While at Fry's a week ago, I picked up the Corsair M65 for $40 on a whim. It's pretty, so it got me there.

Pros

-Avago ADNS9800 Sensor, it's the best out there.
-Fit and finish - best looking and constructed mouse I've ever used.
-Comfort - extremely comfortable to use for an extended period.
-Software that allows for rebinding of all the buttons as well as user defined DPI settings that you can select with the lower middle mouse buttons.
-Adjustable weight
Cons

-RMB and LMB are way too sensitive, taking almost no force to depress.
-Native acceleration above and beyond the standard 9500/9800 issue, and there was no option for removing it in the software.
-Can be a bit bulky for those preferring smaller mice.​

A bit more depth

It's a very well built mouse with some random issues that prevent me from suggesting it over the Sensei, but there can be an instance where it is recommended. Mainly, if you have big hands.

The RMB and LMB being so easy do depress actually had me laying my fingers straight over the buttons and depressing them with my knuckle to prevent accidental clicking. This was not something I was doing consciously either.

The built in acceleration was way too heavy. Even at 800 CPI, I would be overshooting dramatically on whips in Warsow and Quake Live. Turning down the CPI further did not alleviate the issue either.​

Conclusion

Sensei still king.​

So I'm thinking about getting the Sapphire Radeon HD 7970.

It's going for $394.99 right now and has pretty stellar reviews on AMD's site. Would this be a good investment coupled with 12 GBs of RAM and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz? I may end up using a dual/triple-screen setup at some point.

Thanks in advance.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

It's going for $394.99 right now and has pretty stellar reviews on AMD's site. Would this be a good investment coupled with 12 GBs of RAM and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz? I may end up using a dual/triple-screen setup at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Just purchased a 7970 and I have similar specs to you and everything is running at top speed that ive tested (barring crysis 3 level 1). Plus I figure if I need more power I can just Crossfire another 7970 for more power.

DTKT

Thanks in advance.

You might want to get a 3770k so that you can overlock in the future.

mkenyon

Banned
12GB of RAM on dual channel? Weird.

You'll want a 3570K over the 3770. If you have uses for the hyperthreading, then you'll want the 3770K.

If you want three screen gaming, then NVIDIA is the way to go. There's some new stuff popping up about Crossfire that is preventing me from suggesting it as a viable path.

kennah

So someone directed me here since, presumably, someone here can help me. I bought a desktop a few months ago for ~$900. The specs:

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
  • RAM: 12 GBs
  • OCd @ Core Voltage 1125mV; Core Clock 1000MHz; Memory Clock 1125MHz
  • Liquid-cooled

Most modern games run extremely well on high settings, except Crysis 3 (of course), which is giving me some grief. I changed my OC settings a bit higher from the stats above, and I also turned off V-sync which was on for some reason, and the game now runs at around 35 FPS on medium settings in campaign.

However, I'd like for my game to run better on higher settings. Someone suggested I change my GPU. Could someone suggest a GPU that's better than mine? Preferably AMD and not too expensive. Thanks!

You'll want a 3570K over the 3770. If you have uses for the hyperthreading, then you'll want the 3770K.

If you want three screen gaming, then NVIDIA is the way to go. There's some new stuff popping up about Crossfire that is preventing me from suggesting it as a viable path.

He already bought it and is looking to add a GPU :)

He already bought it and is looking to add a GPU :)

This, thank you for clarifying for me. :) I already have hyper-threading enabled.

This was a pre-built desktop I bought, and the RAM setup is really dumb. Two 4GBs and two 2GBs. I don't plan on switching to NVIDIA any time soon since I've had good experiences with AMD thus far.

mr2xxx

Banned
When I bought windows 8 they sent me a link to download the thumb drive bootable. works great

Thats the problem I did it through their installer instead of making a USB stick and now I don't think I have the option of doing it through USB anymore. I'll try to search for the the emails again, if not I might have to get an iso of some sketchy site.

mkenyon

Banned
This, thank you for clarifying for me. :) I already have hyper-threading enabled.

This was a pre-built desktop I bought, and the RAM setup is really dumb. Two 4GBs and two 2GBs. I don't plan on switching to NVIDIA any time soon since I've had good experiences with AMD thus far.
I think AMD is the way to go for a single card and a single display. Multi card and multi display though is a bad call right now.

http://techreport.com/blog/24415/as-the-second-turns-frame-captures-crossfire-and-more

Newegg and Amazon don't have the Gigabyte AMD HD 7950 card in stock... and it's one of the last two parts I need. I mean, I probably won't be able to afford it for a month or two at the most, but if they continue to be out of stock, I'm gonna be mad. I need to get those free games!

Edit: Clarifying a little bit

mkenyon

Banned
You know, you are making me regret buying an Nvidia card right now. :)
That's comparing a $400 670 to a $300 7950, or $400 7970. If you're comparing a $300 670, then there's no way I'd recommend the AMD one.

Unless you're joking. In which case ignore me. :p
I think the Gigabyte one was recommended because of the three fans as opposed to two for better cooling? I think that's what was said about it.
ASUS is the quietest, the Sapphire is really quiet too, right on par with the Gigabyte.

That's comparing a $400 670 to a $300 7950, or $400 7970. If you're comparing a $300 670, then there's no way I'd recommend the AMD one.

Unless you're joking. In which case ignore me. :p

ASUS is the quietest, the Sapphire is really quiet too, right on par with the Gigabyte.

Both the ASUS and the Sapphire are still good?

mkenyon

Banned
What? The card I sent you shouldn't emit any noise besides possible VRM ticking.

Oh, that's only with the EKWB installed. Right. :p

kennah

What? The card I sent you shouldn't emit any noise besides possible VRM ticking.

Oh, that's only with the EKWB installed. Right. :p

I tried installing the EKWB but my temps were crazy high. I filled it with water but it kept leaking out when I installed the card. Really stupid design having those holes on the bottom.

Asimov

Banned
Do you guys see any benefits on waiting until Haswell is released? No one has answered that question on the Laptop Thread.

D:

kennah

Do you guys see any benefits on waiting until Haswell is released? No one has answered that question on the Laptop Thread.

D:

Main benefit is a socket lasting for a little longer for upgrade-ability.

However, it isn't going to be wicked faster than what is out now. If you were waiting a couple months anyway, then wait the couple months. If you want something now, get something now .

Used this thread about 2 years ago to build a top notch gaming PC. Bad ass is still running while my friends and family who have bought PCs during and before that time have fallen apart.

My brother wants me to build him a PC, but now im at a loss as to what all this stuff means again.

Why does it seem the OP suggest intel processors over AMD? Seens the AMD ones are much cheaper.

mkenyon

Banned
Used this thread about 2 years ago to build a top notch gaming PC. Bad ass is still running while my friends and family who have bought PCs during and before that time have fallen apart.

My brother wants me to build him a PC, but now im at a loss as to what all this stuff means again.

Why does it seem the OP suggest intel processors over AMD? Seens the AMD ones are much cheaper.

skyim-99th.gif

arkham-99th.gif

crysis2-99th.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You know, you are making me regret buying an Nvidia card right now. :)
I've been feeling this way too! I have a 660 Ti I got for $200 so I did okay. But I kind of wish I'd sprung for a 7950 or 7970. Especially now with the free games. Hrmph.

kennah

Could you be more specific? I did a few google searches and it just seems to be intel is more popular... is there a reason I shouldn't go with AMD?

It's covered a lot in the last couple pages of the thread.

BASICALLY:

Worse performance/dollar
Worse upgradeability (low end Intel = High end AMD, thus you buy a low end intel and can later upgrade to high end intel, where with AMD, you're likely going to be stuck with what you get)

Intel has kinda won this generation. They made very efficient, well performing processors for pretty reasonable prices. $230 is INSANE value for what the 3570K gives you. Cheaper still if you can go to a Microcenter.

So I decided to pass on the Gigabyte 7970 and go for the Gigabyte 7870. Was getting a bit too hype about the GPU, failing to realize that I don't really need something that powerful. Tomb Raider and Amazon price matching Newegg's discount was a factor too.

So my rig will finally be finished (waited on getting a GPU for 5 months for the current Never Settle bundle).

zoku88

D:

For what? A laptop?

If it's for portability (as in, you would use an ULV chip,) then I could see significant power savings in Haswell compared to IVB.

For performance reasons, not really.

masterkajo

I was debating between a GTX 660 Ti (~€250), HD 7870(€240-€270) or maybe a HD 7850(€150-€200). Prices at my local stores or online retailers.

After some searching now I found this MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC at a local shop for €212,80. Since it is so cheap (in comparison to the standard price of the 7870) I wanted to ask if this card is still the full deal (no cutbacks somewhere etc). The MSI brand comes recommend IIRC and I read good things about the Twin Frozr cooling system. The "OC" in the name would suggest an overclock to me but how substantial is it? Is this compareable to a 7870 XT (which should be about a ~7950 if I followed this thread correctly)?

There is also this Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC for €216,05. Better, worse or equal to the above?

Here in comparison the Gigabyte GTX660 TI N66TWF2-2GD.

The main positive point for the MSI 7870 was that ~€200 seem fine and saves me about €50 in comparison to a GTX 660 Ti and also gives me a copy of Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider which I bought would have picked up (probably during an upcoming steam sale) anyway.

Bonus:
Also, if you have the time and find a better card/value on the site, I'd gladly take it into account.

Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: ALso, before I forget, would either of these card work on a PSU with max 430W? I use 2 500MB HDDs, 1 SSD and have a Asus P8H67 with an i5 2500 @ 3,3 GHz. No special cooling fans or other equipment.

Just got all my stuff too!

goods.jpeg

I wont have any free time to try and put it together until friday and it's my first ever build, but i am excited!

Be prepared for a lot of questions friday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom