• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

foladar

Since it's regarding building a pc, for an htpc, which would be recommended for AM3 mobo, the X2 270 Regor 3.4ghz that's 65w, or the Rana 3.2GHz thats 95w? Probably the dual core since the tri-core isn't really needed and it'd run cooler?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Anyone want to have a crack at this problem?

Question: Is there any way to get 5.1 out via the optical out of my Gigabyte g1 sniper 3?

(My amp is having major problems with hdmi and needs to be replaced so optical is my only choice)

Vossler

mkenyon is going to destroy you for recommending that site. I would duck if I were you.

I go there more as a backup to compare some stuff, just giving the guy options. Overclock3d can be decent as well, along with hardwarecanucks. *commences ducking*

mkenyon

Banned
Hello, is there any simple website that can compare all graphics cards on one page in an easy to read style for a noob such as my self?

Same with CPU and SSD
Nope. You can't really compare video cards in an easy to digest format like that. There's been some really huge advancements over the past 6 months in testing methodolgy that has more or less rendered the normal way we look at GPU performance completely, 100%, without a doubt, useless.

Go to TechReport, or just go off of our OP which is the distillation of a crapton of data into buying categories.
You can also use Tom's, although there are claims it can be biased:

http://www.tomshardware.com/
First you use the words 'badass' and 'wireless' in the same sentence. The only way to make that work is "I got this wired mouse and it's more badass than any wireless mouse.

Then you go on to link Toms. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have ask for your GAF resignation.
I like going to OCN personally.
OCN is a minefield of disaster. TechReport and PC Perspective are the only two websites really worth paying attention to right now.
'The IGN of hardware'
I wouldn't give them that much credit lately. They're pretty much on the same level as that one 'Rethink errething AMD procs are bauss' guy.

Vossler

To each his own, I suppose. Was not aware of the hierarchical structure in the thread. Not all of us have a setup that allows for wired mice in our living situation. So, in the name of necessity, I researched and purchased the most effective wireless mouse I've ever come across. Perhaps it was terrible adjective use, and maybe I should not have put Tom's out there. Just giving the man options, I reiterate.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm just kidding around, I should have thrown a :p to get across the sarcasm. The G700 is a great wireless mouse.

But yeah, the testing dealie is a pretty big one, and I'm trying my hardest to get people to switch over. Check out this thread for more info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512976
I kinda like OCN - the SNR is pretty rough, but if you look around, you'll find useful stuff in there.
I think the problem with looking at product reviews from anecdotal stances on places like OCN is that it's rife with fanboys, and OCN isn't very moderated either. You don't get the awesome GAF culture where assholes get Bish'd. You also generally get questionable methodology, which when you're talking about something as complex as rendering and displaying graphics, is very necessary to be in place.

MisterNoisy

I'm just kidding around, I should have thrown a :p to get across the sarcasm. The G700 is a great wireless mouse.

But yeah, the testing dealie is a pretty big one, and I'm trying my hardest to get people to switch over. Check out this thread for more info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512976

I think the problem with looking at product reviews from anecdotal stances on places like OCN is that it's rife with fanboys, and OCN isn't very moderated either. You don't get the awesome GAF culture where assholes get Bish'd. You also generally get questionable methodology, which when you're talking about something as complex as rendering and displaying graphics, is very necessary to be in place.

I hear yas - I don't really look there for video card/CPU reviews, but more for information/user reviews of peripherals and ancillary hardware, though.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, hardware review websites generally do an iffy job on accessories and peripherals. I'm scheming with Kudochop on how we could do some mouse testing to show even partially objective results.

Seems like you have to go to mice specific threads and get someone who knows the stuff inside and out to get some good results.

Vossler

Hah. did not detect teh sarcams at all, my bad. I agree with you, Tom's is pretty narrow in their testing. I'm in a weird mood cause my second gtx 670 is taking forever to arrive, and I don't want to play Crysis 3 without it.

M3z_

Been testing the overclocking on my new 3570k and looks like I might of gotten a pretty awesome chip, will reports results when finished, I'm pretty excited.

kharma45

Been testing the overclocking on my new 3570k and looks like I might of gotten a pretty awesome chip, will reports results when finished, I'm pretty excited.

I need to look into pushing my 2500K again some day, I think I've got a very good one in this machine too.

M3z_

Ok did a bunch of 30 min runs of P95 testing what clocks would run and worked my way up from 4.4 to 4.8 at 1.25 volts in bios but CPU-Z reporting 1.27ish. Either way really nice chip I think. I might be able to get it to 4.9 or even 5.0 if I threw it in my main rig, I can't put to many volts through this Asrock itx board, it won't even boot if I set the volts at 1.3 or higher. Gonna do a longer test now to see if 4.8 is stable for 24/7.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I'm a bit split. Do you think the Bitfenix Ghost worth the $20 over the Shinobi? I wish I could find a direct comparison of their temperatures somewhere... Reading the Anandtech review of the Ghost it seems the temperatures aren't great since silence is the main concern, but I wonder if the temps are even worse than the Shinobi's.

RS4-

I'm still on my 2GB 6950. Should I jump on two MSI 580s? I think I can get both for under 300 and maybe with waterblocks included.

Also, still on the FT02; if I were to keep the WC blocks, should I just go with some 120mm rad or something? I don't think I'm going to go through with adding my CPU to the loop as I still have the D14.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan
Case Fan: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

This is my first build ever and I'm glad it's over as working with the mobo was the most distressing part and the prodigy isn't the most friendly case for a first-time builder.

When I started it up for the first time, my heart sank because everything was powering on but there was no display the my monitor. I soon realized I plugged the HDMI cable to the mobo instead of the video card.

Unfortunately all my keyboards are either bluetooth or ps/2. So I can't install my os until later today.

Parts that I still need: another gentle typhoon fan so I can do a push/pull on the H60's rad and one or two 1 or 2 tb hdds.

Also, thank you mkenyon for your build guide and answers to my questions and Hazaro for the informative op.

VZmU0eP.jpg
Super nice build, enjoy :)
Hello, is there any simple website that can compare all graphics cards on one page in an easy to read style for a noob such as my self?

Same with CPU and SSD
In the OPPPPPPPPPPPPP
You can also use Tom's, although there are claims it can be biased:

http://www.tomshardware.com/
pls no
negative of keeping pc cool. My bedroom is now a lot cooler than it used to be :(

bah winter.
An unfortunate side effect. :(

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm a bit split. Do you think the Bitfenix Ghost worth the $20 over the Shinobi? I wish I could find a direct comparison of their temperatures somewhere... Reading the Anandtech review of the Ghost it seems the temperatures aren't great since silence is the main concern, but I wonder if the temps are even worse than the Shinobi's.
Fans are more responsible for temps than case design. That being said, they both use silent but weak fans, the BitFenix Spectre.

Irobot82

I was considering getting a new monitor alongside my new PC, but I sort of want to use that $200 or so on the PC itself to increase the performance, and was wondering if this monitor that I currently use is any good to use on my new PC, just until I find the need to get a new monitor?
http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/ppspecs.php?id=308

It's pretty old but it works well.

22" is large - check
1680x1050 is high res - check

Nah, save the $200 to put more into the GPU. At this point you're like me. The only real difference will be to move on to 1440p.

You can always downsample your images for greater IQ.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Fans are more responsible for temps than case design. That being said, they both use silent but weak fans, the BitFenix Spectre.

Very good to know. Thank you.
With that said, do you think I'd be better off buying the Shinobi and extra fans or buying the Ghost and no fans?

Edit: Also, is the Corsair TX550M a good PSU? It's $49 after a $15 rebate right now.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
So what's the deal fan with controllers?

Case i'm going to be buying is HAF 922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
By default there's a 200mm fan in the front, 200mm on the top, 120mm on the back and would be adding a 200mm to the side. The side fan I'm adding is a cool master megaflow 200mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

Not looking to spend more than say $50 and NZXT Sentry Mesh http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992007 seem fits the bill pretty well aside from the min speed being 40%.

Anything else out there I should be looking at or considering?

JoseDFrog

Banned
Anyone know which wireless card I should get?
These are the three that looked like the best,
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
ASUS PCE-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 PCI-E Adapter (not even sure if this is a proper adapter)

The rest,
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=200_328

I have the TP-Link and it works well. I'm getting 49/22 out of the 50/25 claim from Fios with Pings from 7-15ms. I'm about 20 feet away with a wall and a floor in between the Fios router and my computer.

I just tested my work's LAN. 4ms ping and 94 down, 71 up...

gogojira

I spent way too long putting together my PC last night. I get the whole Lego comparison but when dealing with a very expensive Lego set even simple tasks become nightmare fuel for some trained on Lincoln Logs.

I think my wiring job is ugly, but I did get it all working. I have to admit though, I still feel like I have to have done something wrong. I patched PlanetSide 2 overnight and played some this morning and it seems to be working fine so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

For my 7970 I used the PSU to power both the 8-pin and 6-pin connection on my GPU. When I plugged the EATX into my PSU it actually had to outs on it and my PSU had a spot for two motherboard connections. I used them both. Is my computer going to explode? :p

Finally the CPU thing was a bitch for me because I had an issue mounting the heatsink at first. I put the bead on my CPU but the heatsink definitely moved a little on top before I finally bolted it down appropriately.

MisterNoisy

I spent way too long putting together my PC last night. I get the whole Lego comparison but when dealing with a very expensive Lego set even simple tasks become nightmare fuel for some trained on Lincoln Logs.

I think my wiring job is ugly, but I did get it all working. I have to admit though, I still feel like I have to have done something wrong. I patched PlanetSide 2 overnight and played some this morning and it seems to be working fine so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

For my 7970 I used the PSU to power both the 8-pin and 6-pin connection on my GPU. When I plugged the EATX into my PSU it actually had to outs on it and my PSU had a spot for two motherboard connections. I used them both. Is my computer going to explode? :p

Finally the CPU thing was a bitch for me because I had an issue mounting the heatsink at first. I put the bead on my CPU but the heatsink definitely moved a little on top before I finally bolted it down appropriately.

Congrats on your build - post pics! :)

All normal, as far as I can tell - your mobo will have the 24-pin ATX cable and 4/8-pin EPS cables connected directly from the PSU and you actually need both PCI-E connectors to power that beast of a video card.

Same with a bit of movement when installing the heatsink - it happens every time, so don't sweat it unless your temps are bananas.

gogojira

Congrats on your build - post pics! :)

All normal, as far as I can tell - your mobo will have the 24-pin ATX cable and 4/8-pin EPS cables connected directly from the PSU and you actually need both PCI-E connectors to power that beast of a video card.

Same with a bit of movement when installing the heatsink - it happens every time, so don't sweat it unless your temps are bananas.

I will when I get home much later today, thanks for the reassurance! Maybe you guys can give me some pointers because my rig needs some serious cable control but I felt like I was pushing the limits of how far the cable would stretch.

The one question I did have was which direction to put the heatsink fan. It essentially blasts right into my R4's case fan on the backside because it seems to be my only option. If I flip the fan to the other side it blocks a RAM slot and damn near hits my first 4GB stick.

Gremmie4

Has anyone bought any used hardware from the Amazon Warehouse? They have some pretty great deals on video cards so I was thinking of picking up one of them. There is a 30 day return policy for the parts from the warehouse, so I'm thinking it would not be a bad buy.

MisterNoisy

I will when I get him much later today, thanks for the reassurance! Maybe you guys can give me some pointers because my rig needs some serious cable control but I felt like I was pushing the limits of how far the cable would stretch.

The one question I did have was which direction to put the heatsink fan. It essentially blasts right into my R4's case fan on the backside because it seems to be my only option. If I flip the fan to the other side it blocks a RAM slot and damn near hits my first 4GB stick.

Cable management is pretty straightforward in the R4 - pull the PSU cables behind the motherboard tray through the big grommet between the PSU and HDD tray and then use the other grommets to bring them back to the main chamber of the case. Once you've got everything routed, use the little loops on the back of the motherboard tray and some zipties to lock everything down. If your 4/8 pin cable (this is usually the one that's too short) won't reach, there are a number of inexpensive cable extensions that can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom