• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

54-46!

mJKcvQ4.jpg

Is this monitor any good?

I play lots of Quake so I'm looking for the best 24" 120hz <5ms monitor out there.

By the way, for my future build I'm adding several hard drives. What should come about 8 internal hard drives. I've done several "wattage calculators" to see what kind of power I would need for my next build. And they are say about 1000 watts or more.

But I don't see any recommendation for anything above 800 watts for even the most extreme builds. Is this because those wattage calculators are wrong?

Or is that just because none of the build guides here have accounted for builds with quadfires or quad-SLIs with 10 or more hard drives?

I have a 750W PSU. And currently 4 hard drives with 1 SSD. That's soon to become 8 or more hard drives. Also I plan to crossfire two HD 7970s in the next couple of months. Should I consider upgrading my PSU at all? That's a lot of hard drives and also a decent amount of GPU power.

Kalnos

Banned
Instead of looking at wattage calculators I would just go to the manufacturer's website and view the max power consumed by whatever HDDs. Most HDDs seem to be around 7-9 watts, so you aren't looking at a lot of power consumption. A good 750-800 watt PSU (e.g. Seasonic) should easily be fine.

Coldsnap

Ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8 all of my games have terrible screen tearing. I need to figure out why. I have a GTX 560, 4 gigs of ram, and a 2500k... Is it just because I can't run D3D on windows 8 and now I'm noticing how much i miss it? There's gotta be a fix for this..

Zaph

Is there a general rule-of-thumb when organising fans in a case?

I have a Fractal Designs R4, with two intake fans at the front, and two exhaust fans at the top and I'm about to replace my heatsink with a Corsair H60 which will add another exhaust fan to the back.

Should I then disable one of my top exhausts to 'balance' it?

iavi

Is there a general rule-of-thumb when organising fans in a case?

I have a Fractal Designs R4, with two intake fans at the front, and two exhaust fans at the top and I'm about to replace my heatsink with a Corsair H60 which will add another exhaust fan to the back.

Should I then disable one of my top exhausts to 'balance' it?

I have two intake at the front and 3 exhaust--one in the rear (h80i), and two at the top. My cooling performance has fantastic.

Don't think you'd be going wrong with all three running

---

Guys, I've decided, if The Witcher 3 comes out and I can't run it at max settings/close to 60fps with my 7950, I'm getting another one. Whatever crossfire quirks will hopefully have been worked out by then.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan
Case Fan: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

This is my first build ever and I'm glad it's over as working with the mobo was the most distressing part and the prodigy isn't the most friendly case for a first-time builder.

When I started it up for the first time, my heart sank because everything was powering on but there was no display the my monitor. I soon realized I plugged the HDMI cable to the mobo instead of the video card.

Unfortunately all my keyboards are either bluetooth or ps/2. So I can't install my os until later today.

Parts that I still need: another gentle typhoon fan so I can do a push/pull on the H60's rad and one or two 1 or 2 tb hdds.

Also, thank you mkenyon for your build guide and answers to my questions and Hazaro for the informative op.

VZmU0eP.jpg

mJKcvQ4.jpg

I play lots of Quake so I'm looking for the best 24" 120hz <5ms monitor out there.

Apparently it's pretty great when used with LightStrobe 2. Those who know what they're talking about claim 90% blur elimination when compared to CRT.

iavi

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

This is my first build ever and I'm glad it's over as working with the mobo was the most distressing part and the prodigy isn't the most friendly case for a first-time builder.

When I started it up for the first time, my heart sank because everything was powering on but there was no display the my monitor. I soon realized I plugged the HDMI cable to the mobo instead of the video card.

Unfortunately all my keyboards are either bluetooth or ps/2. So I can't install my os until later today.

Parts that I still need: another gentle typhoon fan so I can do a push/pull on the H60's rad and one or two 1 or 2 tb hdds.

Also, thank you mkenyon for your build guide and answers to my questions and Hazaro for the informative op.

VZmU0eP.jpg

Good lord, those cables. I imagine the prodigy is going to be even more air starved than the usual ATX case, so those are definitely something you'll want to take care of.

I'm thinking about doing a second SFF build in a prodigy. I don't know why. I sure as hell don't need a second machine, but the idea of having a cute little secondary machine seems kinda alright.

Believe me, I'll definitely clean up the cables once I get the other fan.

I finished the build around midnight and was short on time yesterday.

Zaph

I have two intake at the front and 3 exhaust--one in the rear (h80i), and two at the top. My cooling performance has fantastic.

Don't think you'd be going wrong with all three running
That's what I thought - then I started reading about positive/negative case pressure and realised I'm probably over-thinking it.

iavi

Believe me, I'll definitely clean up the cables once I get the other fan.

I finished the build around midnight and was short on time yesterday.

Nice. Welcome to the club.

That moment when you press the power button and everything finally just works never gets old.

Vossler

Might seem like a dumb question, but how often do you guys reapply the thermal paste on your cpu's? I just realized I've had my 2500k at 4.2 for about a year and a half, and have not replaced the paste. Moving to a new case now, which means I will, but I'd imagine I need to do it more often than that...

kennah

Nice. Welcome to the club.

That moment when you press the power button and everything finally just works never gets old.
I'm pretty excited for my (likely) SFF build when the Orange Prodigy becomes available here.

Widdly. More pics!

When I build mine a friend is coming with his fancy camera and we are going to do a build log

mkenyon

Banned
mJKcvQ4.jpg

The best for #esports. The BenQ with the same panel is also good, but not available in the US.
Good lord, those cables. I imagine the prodigy is going to be even more air starved than the usual ATX case, so those are definitely something you'll want to take care of.

I'm thinking about doing a second SFF build in a prodigy. I don't know why. I sure as hell don't need a second machine, but the idea of having a cute little secondary machine seems kinda alright.
This is how it all started with me. Before you know it, you'll be watercooling HTPCs and getting a bench to test stuff. :p

The Prodigy actually has insanely good airflow thanks to the space:fan ratio. Better cooling dynamics than most mid/fulls.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Instead of looking at wattage calculators I would just go to the manufacturer's website and view the max power consumed by whatever HDDs. Most HDDs seem to be around 7-9 watts, so you aren't looking at a lot of power consumption. A good 750-800 watt PSU (e.g. Seasonic) should easily be fine.
I see. So the wattage calculators are basically wrong.

I don't suppose there would be anything wrong with owning a SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W PSU, would there? Or would it be a poor investment just due to the fact that other, lower wattage Seasonic PSUs would be more reliable?

Also, is Seasonic more reliable than Enermax?

Just hypothetical, of course. And what kind of system would you need to put that to use, anyway? Two GeForce Titans, 8 HDDs, ultra overlclocked CPU, ect.?

mkenyon

Banned
I see. So the wattage calculators are basically wrong.

I don't suppose there would be anything wrong with owning a SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W PSU, would there? Or would it be a poor investment just due to the fact that other, lower wattage Seasonic PSUs would be more reliable?

Just hypothetical, of course. And what kind of system would you need to put that to use, anyway? Two GeForce Titans, 8 HDDs, ultra overlclocked CPU, ect.?
You only need something like that when you are looking at a crazy watercooled system with multiple pumps, a full Aquacomputer suite, and maybe 3-4 SLI on X79 with a high TDP processor.

I'm halfway there and I wouldn't consider anything over the AX860/X860.

Hard to believe I have a PSU that may well last me forever.

I sure hope I do. Because if there's something better than this case and something better than this PSU, I should get on it. I hate the stress perfectionist case wiring again and again. A new PSU, motherboard, or case, are the three largest offenders for making one have to reroute wires again from square one.

I love my new case. I'm almost done completely rerouting everything. It isn't much more massive than my old case, but still a lot nicer in many ways. These fan plugs are a little more confusing than the Antec case, though. There's one molex, but several female plugs which I cannot for the life of me find a male for.

Hard drive organization in this case is also leagues better. Clean, and far out of the way of the motherboard.

mkenyon

Banned
Hard to believe I have a PSU that may well last me forever.

I sure hope I do. Because if there's something better than this case and something better than this PSU, I should get on it. I hate the stress perfectionist case wiring again and again. A new PSU, motherboard, or case, are the three largest offenders for making one have to reroute wires again from square one.
You could clean it up pretty significantly by crimping your own SATA power cable. One connection to your psu, then crimp as many as you want in a daisy chain along the bank of HDDs.

mkenyon

Banned

I missed this in my morning haze!

Awesome awesome build. Do you find that 230mm fan to be a bit loud?

Talents

Banned
Got a problem.

So I'm trying to play TERA and every like 5 seconds the game will freeze for like 10 seconds. During the time where the game is playable the what I think to be graphics card makes a light buzzing noise (have a 7970) where as when the game freezes it stops buzzing. How do I fix this?

mkenyon

Banned
Got a problem.

So I'm trying to play TERA and every like 5 seconds the game will freeze for like 10 seconds. During the time where the game is playable the what I think to be graphics card makes a light buzzing noise (have a 7970) where as when the game freezes it stops buzzing. How do I fix this?
Run something like Heaven 4.0 or 3DMark to see if it persists. The card should be making a buzzing noise, that's pretty common these days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The double D cooler runs louder and warmer than reference, unless they've released a revision of it that I'm unaware of.

If I don't mind the noise, will the heat be a problem, do you think?

My Radeon 5870 runs pretty hot, too, I think.

MisterNoisy

VZmU0eP.jpg

Very nice! Are you planning to run the two top fans as exhaust, with the front fan and rear-mounted H60 as intake?

I missed this in my morning haze!

Awesome awesome build. Do you find that 230mm fan to be a bit loud?

It's quiet enough for me, since my only point of reference for loud fans is an xbox360

Very nice! Are you planning to run the two top fans as exhaust, with the front fan and rear-mounted H60 as intake?

I originally considered that but I felt that would be too many fans for me.

I actually don't have any exhaust fans right now. :|

Since I have another gentle typhoon coming in, I will most likely attach that to the h60 so I can do a push/pull or mount it to the top rear.

I'll just have to wait to experiment with which setup gives me the best temps.

I'll post more pictures once I get my cables cleaned up.

MisterNoisy

I originally considered that but I felt that would be too many fans for me.

I actually don't have any exhaust fans right now. :|

Since I have another gentle typhoon coming in, I will most likely attach that to the h60 so I can do a push/pull or mount it to the top rear.

I'll just have to wait to experiment with which setup gives me the best temps.

I'll post more pictures once I get my cables cleaned up.

Cool. I'm actually in the middle of receiving parts for my own Prodigy build (ASRock Z77ITX; 3570K w/H60; 7950, etc.) and that was my plan (2x 120 front intake, H60 as intake on rear and 2x 120 on top for exhaust), and was curious as to your experience.

I'm also in the process of working around the fact that my chosen PSU doesn't fit as is, so a trip to the hardware store is in order. Ahh, the joys of SFF builds.

kennah

Cool. I'm actually in the middle of receiving parts for my own Prodigy build (ASRock Z77ITX; 3570K w/H60; 7950, etc.) and that was my plan (2x 120 front intake, H60 as intake on rear and 2x 120 on top for exhaust), and was curious as to your experience.

I'm also in the process of working around the fact that my chosen PSU doesn't fit as is, so a trip to the hardware store is in order. Ahh, the joys of SFF builds.
on another forum I saw a guy use motherboard standoffs to screw his extruded power supply in place

mkenyon

Banned

Just dremel out the part of the PSU enclosure where the plugs go. That wall would be the only thing preventing a PSU from fitting in. But, I squeezed in an AX650. Did you end up getting like a 180mm PSU?

MisterNoisy

on another forum I saw a guy use motherboard standoffs to screw his extruded power supply in place

I was actually planning on this (thank god everything involved is 6-32 thread), but I still need some washers to provide enough support for the PSU plate against the standoffs.

Just dremel out the part of the PSU enclosure where the plugs go. That wall would be the only thing preventing a PSU from fitting in. But, I squeezed in an AX650. Did you end up getting like a 180mm PSU?

Corsair HX650, which is 160mm, but has huge modular connectors that take up all of the remaining room in the cage. Ultimately, I may drill/dremel some holes and line them with c-channel, but I want to get everything together and make sure it all works before I start hacking away at it.

avaya

Just doing my first build in 4yrs,

Processor: Core i7-3280
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula IV LGA 2011
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Blue, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-11-11-27, XMP, 1.5V
GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce Titan
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Modular
SSD: 256GB Samsung Pro Basic
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green

Case: Fractal Define R3

Key thing is I will be buying Ivy-E in Q3, so going with cheapest LGA2011 CPU available right now.

Anything that could be improved? I'm concerned about memory, motherboard and cooling. Additional case fans needed?

xJavonta

Banned
Got a problem.

I'd check to make sure everything is securely connected and re-install the drivers.

mkenyon

Banned
Just doing my first build in 4yrs,

Processor: Core i7-3280
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula IV LGA 2011
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Blue, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-11-11-27, XMP, 1.5V
GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce Titan
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Modular
SSD: 256GB Samsung Pro Basic
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green

Case: Fractal Define R3

Key thing is I will be buying Ivy-E in Q3, so going with cheapest LGA2011 CPU available right now.

Anything that could be improved? I'm concerned about memory, motherboard and cooling. Additional case fans needed?
Drop the AX1200i for the AX860 (non i). The i's are not Seasonic units. AX860 is more than what you'll need for two titans.

If you can find the 30nm Samsung RAM at a decent price, that's the way to go with SB-E. Clocks to 2100, should be around $45/8GB.

The motherboard is overkill for the most part, but you probably know it and just want the best out there. In that regard, it is the best X79 out there considering the RIVE is out of production.

You'll probably want to grab a set of better fans to keep all that cool. I'd consider some Arctic Cooling F12's in the front, or even the Noiseblocker NB-eLoops. Maybe an additional intake on the floor. You won't need a rear exhaust as the H100 and Titans will be a pretty significant amount.

Also, if you can get the Define R4, do that. Getting those HDD cages out of the way will help with Titan temps. You'll also have a lot more room for cable management.

avaya

Drop the AX1200i for the AX860 (non i). The i's are not Seasonic units. AX860 is more than what you'll need for two titans.

If you can find the 30nm Samsung RAM at a decent price, that's the way to go with SB-E. Clocks to 2100, should be around $45/8GB.

The motherboard is overkill for the most part, but you probably know it and just want the best out there. In that regard, it is the best X79 out there considering the RIVE is out of production.

You'll probably want to grab a set of better fans to keep all that cool. I'd consider some Arctic Cooling F12's in the front, or even the Noiseblocker NB-eLoops. Maybe an additional intake on the floor. You won't need a rear exhaust as the H100 and Titans will be a pretty significant amount.

Also, if you can get the Define R4, do that. Getting those HDD cages out of the way will help with Titan temps. You'll also have a lot more room for cable management.

Cheers. Is 860W even ok with OC (GPUs+CPU)?

Noctua's any good instead of the Arctic Cooling? Am going to replace the stock fans on the H100 anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
The stock fans on the H100i are actually really really good. Definitely not worth replacing.

Noctuas are good choices, but the reason why I suggested the AC F12 and eLoop is that they both have great CFM properties while retaining a good pressure rating as they'll be fighting against a limited intake on the Define.

The NF-F12's, which are the Noctuas with good pressure ratings, generally function pretty poorly outside of radiator/heatsink duty.

DagsJT

Any reason why my Gigabyte Z77-D3H BIOS resets its power settings? I'll set it to "Manual" and PWM but then it'll reset itself randomly and default to "Normal".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not exactly an entire new PC build,nbut any recommendations for a wireless mouse with decent range? I need one for my Mac mini which sits under the TV - need to have about 3-4 metres range and the current logitech m185 seems to struggle to not be really laggy. Not for games or anything, so the cheaper the better.

SoulClap

The NF-F12's, which are the Noctuas with good pressure ratings, generally function pretty poorly outside of radiator/heatsink duty.

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with the F12's. With the low noise adapter they are inaudible (way better than the SP120 Quiet Editions in that regard). Only complaints about them are of course the colors and their performance as case fans.

avaya

The stock fans on the H100i are actually really really good. Definitely not worth replacing.

Noctuas are good choices, but the reason why I suggested the AC F12 and eLoop is that they both have great CFM properties while retaining a good pressure rating as they'll be fighting against a limited intake on the Define.

OK cool, will pick up the AC F12's

Vossler

Not exactly an entire new PC build,nbut any recommendations for a wireless mouse with decent range? I need one for my Mac mini which sits under the TV - need to have about 3-4 metres range and the current logitech m185 seems to struggle to not be really laggy. Not for games or anything, so the cheaper the better.

Might be a little overkill, but newegg has the most badass wireless mouse I've ever used for 40% off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104377&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-26-104-377-_-Homepage

SoulClap

The Logitech M510 is worth a look. I've operated it at similar distances without any issues.

comu

Neo Member
Hello, is there any simple website that can compare all graphics cards on one page in an easy to read style for a noob such as my self?

Same with CPU and SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom