• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
Ah. Well, if you're going to upgrade your mobo and CPU, probably best to wait until Haswell for the new socket. That way you can upgrade again in a few years if you want by just buying a new CPU rather than a mobo and a CPU.

Heh, that is the exact reasoning I went with the 1366 socket back in the day. My overclocked i7 720 just outlasted the entire socket generation.

Azzurri

Would anyone happen to have a Corsair 600T windowed? If so, would you be willing to sell me the windowed door part? I know weird question.

kharma45

With the risk of this being a ridiculous question and maybe impossible to answer I still gotta ask. Right now I have a stock i5 760 with Hyper 212 Evo on it and a pre-boost 7950 running at 810MHz that I was thinking of OC'ing. But before I do that I need to do better cable management and get some more fans for my Fractal R3.

Now before I do that, does anybody have an idea what kind of a performance boost I would be looking at for games like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3 if I manage to overclock the CPU to for an example 3.5GHz and the GPU to 1GHz?

Quite a bit.

You'll get your 760 to probably 3.8GHz likely and the 7950 should be able to do 1.1GHz all being well.

kennah

White and Red Bitfenix Prodigy on sale for $65 at Memory Express (in Canada)... Must be strong and hold out for Orange!

scogoth

White and Red Bitfenix Prodigy on sale for $65 at Memory Express (in Canada)... Must be strong and hold out for Orange!

ooooooooooo Red is cooler. I can even give you 16in of red and 12in of white MDPC sleeving that got thrown into my package for no apparent reason.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I wish they gave you a choice to choose the games when buying AMD cards. Bought a 7950 but I would have preferred getting Tomb Raider over Crysis 3 which the former is only free with the purchase of the 7800 series cards.

If anybody is interested, I'm selling my 560 Ti now.

kennah

ooooooooooo Red is cooler. I can even give you 16in of red and 12in of white MDPC sleeving that got thrown into my package for no apparent reason.

That would be pretty nice on the fan wires.... No NO I will be strong. I looooove the Orange.

kennah

What board are you getting? The Z77X-UD7?

Haven't decided. Probably the Asus since it is the only one available locally. I'm torn between having a mSATA onboard/better water option (ASRock or MSI) or having two eSATA ports (Asus). I don't like where the SATA ports are on the ASR and MSI boards, but a GAFfer pointed out that the Audio and USB3 ports are annoying on the Asus.

EDIT: I am reaching severe asinine levels of indecision about the motherboard purchase. I put less thought into choosing my wife

EDIT2: I just googled the board you mentioned - I see what you did there.

Smokey

Anyone? plan on mounting it on the top of the case.

I had mine set as an exhaust

Air coming from the front of the case and exiting through the h100. I had the rear fan as an exhaust too, but don't know if that would be better served as an intake?

scogoth

Haven't decided. Probably the Asus since it is the only one available locally. I'm torn between having a mSATA onboard/better water option (ASRock or MSI) or having two eSATA ports (Asus). I don't like where the SATA ports are on the ASR and MSI boards, but a GAFfer pointed out that the Audio and USB3 ports are annoying on the Asus.

EDIT: I am reaching severe asinine levels of indecision about the motherboard purchase. I put less thought into choosing my wife

EDIT2: I just googled the board you mentioned - I see what you did there.

Personally I choose ASUS simply because I think they have the best BIOS setup and I spend a lot of time there tweaking and OCing. Performance wise the difference between motherboards is really minimal. Features, connector placement, colour and BIOS are all that differentiates them. Get the board with the features you want, a good enough connector placement, the right colour is a luxury and BIOS's are all capable just have to get used to them.

kennah

Personally I choose ASUS simply because I think they have the best BIOS setup and I spend a lot of time there tweaking and OCing. Performance wise the difference between motherboards is really minimal. Features, connector placement, colour and BIOS are all that differentiates them. Get the board with the features you want, a good enough connector placement, the right colour is a luxury and BIOS's are all capable just have to get used to them.

Yep, those are all the basis of the problems I'm having :) Maybe I'll see if there are any YouTube videos showing me the BIOSes.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm looking to bite the bullet and go with this Zotac 570 card for $179.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on Zotac, or a general impression if this specific card would be solid for editing in CS5? I've gotten lots of positive reinforcement on GAF, Adob'es forums, and Tom's Hardware to go with a 570 over a 660 ti, but I want to make sure this 570 is worth it and I don't know the Zotac brand. Some reviews say the fan gets a bit loud when under stress.

Addnan

Not sure why, but in the last minute I ordered a Quick Fire TK with blue keys instead of the originally planned brown and it feels amazing. How have I been using membrane boards all this time.

kennah

Yeah I know, I can't wait either till some content goes up.
no pressure
At least the layout is in order now

Speaking of content - think GAF would mind if I did a detailed Prodigy build log in this thread or should I shove it somewhere separate and link it?

mkenyon

Banned
Speaking of content - think GAF would mind if I did a detailed Prodigy build log in this thread or should I shove it somewhere separate and link it?
Should do it in the revamped Race Your PC thread. Been waiting on a friend to do artwork, but I think I might just bite the bullet and try to wing some stuff myself.
Oh man. Just going to subtlety bump this http://labzfz.com/
Bookmark it.
mkenyon is going to blow everyone away in the coming months.
Thank you.

Dota 2 ate my time. Gonna stop here for a bit to actually get stuff done.

scogoth

Should do it in the revamped Race Your PC thread. Been waiting on a friend to do artwork, but I think I might just bite the bullet and try to wing some stuff myself.

I'll be available after 1PM EST on Wednesday if you need help with anything

Thank you.

Dota 2 ate my time. Gonna stop here for a bit to actually get stuff done.

My only regret is I've been trying to one up Arrival and now you gotta go and do this new build =P

v0mitg0d

Hey guys! :)

I wanted to thank everyone here for their help, particularly the folks response for the OP. Very helpful and I can imagine required a lot of work. I wanted to share with everyone the final build.

I originally wanted to build my own system, much like I've done in the past. However life for me is vastly different than it use to be. I now have much much less time and more responsibilities (kid, job change, etc) so I decided to go with Falcon Northwest. I know I know, some will call me a sellout, but for me this is the right choice.

The requirements were sort of harsh. My wife and I sat down and agreed on a budget ($2500), knew needed to needed to fit in a small space (18'' tall x 10'' wide x 16'' deep) in my desk and that it also needed to be very quiet.

I looked around and settled on the Tiki. Here are the specs

Chassis: Tiki - Standard Black
Chassis Base: Granite - Absolute Black
PSU: SilverStone 450 Watt SFX
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
Processor: i7 3770K 3.5GHz (overclock aprox 4.2GHz - 4.5GHz)
Processor Cooler: Asetek Liquid Cooling
RAM: 1866MHz 2x4GB (8GB)
Video Card: GeForce GTX 680 2GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB
Optical: Slot-Load DVD Writer

...from Amazon I picked up these two guys:
Keyboard: C M QuickFire Rapid Black Cherry (SGK-4000-GKCC1-US)
Monitor: Asus 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (VS248H-P)

I wanted an SSD but it proved too expensive for the size I wanted (512GB). Those guys are easy enough to upgrade so I'm not too worried about replacing that in a year or two.

Anyway, the machine is due to arrive around the 21st. It's a good looking machine, compact, quiet, and fast. I'm really excited! :)

Thanks again guys!

GMM

Banned

I wanted to thank everyone here for their help, particularly the folks response for the OP. Very helpful and I can imagine required a lot of work. I wanted to share with everyone the final build.

I originally wanted to build my own system, much like I've done in the past. However life for me is vastly different than it use to be. I now have much much less time and more responsibilities (kid, job change, etc) so I decided to go with Falcon Northwest. I know I know, some will call me a sellout, but for me this is the right choice.

The requirements were sort of harsh. My wife and I sat down and agreed on a budget ($2500), knew needed to needed to fit in a small space (18'' tall x 10'' wide x 16'' deep) in my desk and that it also needed to be very quiet.

I wanted an SSD but it proved too expensive for the size I wanted (512GB). Those guys are easy enough to upgrade so I'm not too worried about replacing that in a year or two.

Anyway, the machine is due to arrive around the 21st. It's a good looking machine, compact, quiet, and fast. I'm really excited! :)

Thanks again guys!

That machine is about 2.300$ in itself? That is pretty overpriced considering what you are getting in terms of raw power, especially with the lack of an SSD. You can get a iMac 27" for the price of that machine + screen/keyboard with a somewhat slower GPU, but with a MUCH better screen, I/O options, a Fusion Drive (SSD + HDD combo), its dead silent and doesn't take up any considerable space since it's all in the screen.

If you were to build a normal PC, you could get a whole lot more. I don't doubt the machine will serve you well, but personally i think it has some pretty big flaws.

Addnan

Thanks again guys!

You should try to get a SSD asap, especially with a PC so powerful. The difference is amazing. Once you try it you can not go back.

mkenyon

Banned
That's a helluva build there. About $800 over what it should be, but that's a small price to pay if you have lots of extra cash around.
That machine is about 2.300$ in itself? That is pretty overpriced considering what you are getting in terms of raw power, especially with the lack of an SSD. You can get an iMac 27" with a somewhat slower GPU, but with a MUCH better screen, I/O options, a Fusion Drive (SSD + HDD combo) and its dead silent.

If you were to build a normal PC, you could get a whole lot more. I don't doubt the machine will serve you well, but personally i think it has some pretty big flaws.
The processor in the iMac is not even comparable. The video cards in the iMacs are laptop cards that have nothing in common with the desktop counterparts either. You're talking 1/4 of the performance of this thing.

kennah

That machine is about 2.300$ in itself? That is pretty overpriced considering what you are getting in terms of raw power, especially with the lack of an SSD. You can get an iMac 27" with a somewhat slower GPU, but with a MUCH better screen, I/O options, a Fusion Drive (SSD + HDD combo), its dead silent and doesn't take up any considerable space since it's all in the screen.

Yep, a Bitfenix Prodigy would fit in the space he describes easily.

GMM

Banned
The processor in the iMac is not even comparable. The video cards in the iMacs are laptop cards that have nothing in common with the desktop counterparts either. You're talking 1/4 of the performance of this thing.

The CPU is exactly the same as the one in his build, the i7 3770k. The GTX 680MX is about 70%-80% the power of the standard desktop GTX 680 from what i can gather, so the loss in performance will not be anywere near 1/4 of that other machine.

scogoth

The CPU is exactly the same as the one in his build, the i7 3770k. The GTX 680MX is about 70%-80% the power of the standard desktop GTX 680 from what i can gather, so the loss in performance will not be anywere near 1/4 of that other machine.

They are more expensive compared to what you can build yourself but not much can compare in build quality and form factor. Its really about what you want, you want a computer that will work flawlessly for 5 or more years in an amazing chassis and screen. Most people here want the best gaming for the buck or unbelievable raw power.

v0mitg0d

I suppose I could swap out that drive for an SSD. What would you guys recommend? It has to be <$200

edit: btw mkenon I managed to get my hands on a Prodigy and its doesnt fit in the slot in my desk. I would have to remove a few mm of wood, and the wife isnt def not having any of that heh.

scogoth

Laptop or No Laptop the 3770 in the iMac is the non-K version so it loses a GHZ of performance right there.

Well...... if you were brave enough, nothing stopping you from dropping a 3770k in there. It is a LGA1155 socket but only way I can think of OCing it is from software in windows.

GMM

Banned
Laptop or No Laptop the 3770 in the iMac is the non-K version so it loses a GHZ of performance right there.

Strange, the 3770 never came up anywere, only the 3770k according to other people. Apple is a massive fuckup in Europe with the new iMacs so i am back on doing the power build instead. I did see some other benches of the 680MX that had some more comparable numbers, but real tests of the cards are hard to find.

I still don't think the new iMac is as terrible a value as before hand, but the Falcon PC could have a better value (though the design and form factor makes it a high mark up).

Is bumping up to a six-core processor worth it? Was going to use the 3570k with my build but wouldn't mind another 200 if it'll make my build future proof.

mkenyon

Banned
I suppose I could swap out that drive for an SSD. What would you guys recommend? It has to be <$200

edit: btw mkenon I managed to get my hands on a Prodigy and its doesnt fit in the slot in my desk. I would have to remove a few mm of wood, and the wife isnt def not having any of that heh.
Remove the bottom handles and put on some tiny case feet.

Too late though. By no means is that Tiki a bad build, great set of specs and it'll perform admirably. It's just really expensive. That doesn't really matter if it doesn't matter, you know what I mean?

We have people blowing 2-3K on Titans. PC's don't always have to be about $:performance

kennah

Too late though. By no means is that Tiki a bad build, great set of specs and it'll perform admirably. It's just really expensive. That doesn't really matter if it doesn't matter, you know what I mean?

We have people blowing 2-3K on Titans. PC's don't always have to be about $:performance

Prodigy is only 14" tall, I'm guessing it is depth that is the problem.

Tiki looks pretty beautiful, my only problem with the build he did is that there is no SSD. For that kinda money, you gotta get them solid states man!

Falcon makes some nice stuff. This is making me nostalgia back to the times when you had to fold IDE cables.

v0mitg0d

Yeah, thats true mkenyon thats my thought process this time around too. Money is of course important, but truth be told I dont mind pay a little more for less hassle at this point in my life.

Plus I kind of like having the 3yr warranty, and that Tiki custom case is really nice. Its so small in fact it allows for much more air flow on all sides.

Vossler

Hate it when people ship via USPS, they will never leave anything at my door....ugh! So close to 670 sli-goodness with Asus TOPs'

mkenyon

Banned
Is bumping up to a six-core processor worth it? Was going to use the 3570k with my build but wouldn't mind another 200 if it'll make my build future proof.
$200 to six core? Wat? You have to get an X79 motherboard ($100ish more), and go to the 3930K, which is $600. That's like $500 more than a Z77/3570K
Prodigy is only 14" tall, I'm guessing it is depth that is the problem.

Tiki looks pretty beautiful, my only problem with the build he did is that there is no SSD. For that kinda money, you gotta get them solid states man!

Falcon makes some nice stuff. This is making me nostalgia back to the times when you had to fold IDE cables.
Fold? Shit, I remember taking a razor blade to the IDE cables so you could bundle them up rather than have them flat. Gotta make room for the cold cathode tubes. Oh the days of early PC modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom